Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon suggestions (Please fix his 4)

(PSN)R3D3Y3D_J3D1

I personally think Oberon has a solid,  well rounded kit. He is obviously made to be a survivability frame. He has good healing (put to shame by wisp) and above average crowd control with his radiation damage abilities. HOWEVER, in steel path his 4's armor strip does not scale with the 250% armor increase of the enemies. All other armor stripping frames definitely do. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it was intended for balancing purposes, but either way I find it extremely unnecessary. His 4 uses a large amount of energy and take multiple casts to strip armor from even base level enemies. Take into account the fact that it does not scale accordingly in the steel path and you're jumping through a lot of hoops to do something many frames can do on a whim. Ember for instance strip armor in both steel path and regular star chart with the same efficiency at a greatly reduced energy cost while also being a nuke spam frame. I don't see any real reason for an Oberon with 50% armor strip to have to cast the ability 5 times at a huge energy cost just for a temporary armor strip. Add in the fact that it has to paired with another ability to be permanent and what you have is what gives arcane energize nightmares. Please fix this wonderful frame DE. I appreciate the effort in balancing my favorite game.

Agreed. Oberons ult does measly damage and a terrible base armor reduction of 30% even if it's permanent strip to enemies standing on his hallowed ground, it takes either too much modding space or too much energy, sacrificing other aspects of his kit. 

As you mentioned ember has a better strip and a better ult imo. Frost's ult also strips armor at 40% base which makes modding for the 100% strip easier and it is a better cc. 

Here's how I see it: with how many conditionals there are to the full effect of Reckoning, the ability should have a much more impactful effect. Right now, you need to use 1 lingering ability as a setup, and then make sure enemies are in range of that ability before you cast 4 several times, for the full effect. The energy cost goes through the roof, it takes time, and the coverage is quite small. Meanwhile you can have Hildryn cast her 2, covering a vastly greater spece, and with a stronger effect. Quick and simple, with very low resoure cost relavite to the pool (and when you take into consideration that for Hildryn her 2 actually recharges her ability resource... well there is no competition, is there?). Adding small effects like blind and all is not enough to make this ability shine. The problem is not the setup - the problem is that the setup doesn't feel worth the actual effect.

Even if it worked as intended it's still a poor ability. Energy hungry, range unimpressive, condition of having enemies stand on the carpet, long animation. You need 267 power strength in combination with CP + Coaction to fully strip armor of enemies. That is a very high investment compared to many other stripping abilities. The fact that it is completely broken on Steel Path is just insult to injury.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2021-06-23 at 5:48 PM, (PSN)R3D3Y3D_J3D1 said:

you're jumping through a lot of hoops to do something many frames can do on a whim.

(put to shame by wisp)

This is the most frustrating thing about sticking with Oberon for as long as I did and choose to still do. 
It seems like there’s SO many frames that completely and utterly outclass what it is Oberon is supposed to be.

he’s a frame with a lot of build versatility but sacrifices too much in terms of general convenience. It’s ENTIRELY unfair that Wisps heal is so good with relatively inconsiderable cost while Oberon is stuck with a worse heal and a drain. Everything that Oberon can do, is just a worse version of what another frame can. ESPECIALLY Wisp. And as a result, his place in the game is hard to find. 

This is why I think Oberon needs a ground up rework, Smite does pretty much nothing without the augment. Renewal is way too energy intensive, pretty much all of his abilities aren’t worth the implied cost for the output that they produce. As it stands, Hallowed Ground is the best ability he has, and even then there are still better options but it’s good for CC and damage over time. This has nothing to do with Oberon being a “jack of all trades” frame, Wisp and Protea are and are both fine. The problem is he has no real kit, his abilities don’t tie together to point toward a goal and he’s vying for what’s probably the most useless passive in the game that does 0 for his energy problem and lackluster abilities. And I personally hate Oberon’s 4 with a passion. Keep in mind, we’re comparing him to other frames. Reckoning does NO damage outside of low levels, soft locks you during its cast, lasts for almost no time, has a blind that’s never been useful, and is only used in restrictive and specific armor strip builds. DE are calling 4s Ultimates now and Reckoning does NOT warrant that justification. 

7 hours ago, (PSN)OnionSlayer27 said:

This is why I think Oberon needs a ground up rework, Smite does pretty much nothing without the augment. Renewal is way too energy intensive, pretty much all of his abilities aren’t worth the implied cost for the output that they produce. As it stands, Hallowed Ground is the best ability he has, and even then there are still better options but it’s good for CC and damage over time. This has nothing to do with Oberon being a “jack of all trades” frame, Wisp and Protea are and are both fine. The problem is he has no real kit, his abilities don’t tie together to point toward a goal and he’s vying for what’s probably the most useless passive in the game that does 0 for his energy problem and lackluster abilities. And I personally hate Oberon’s 4 with a passion. Keep in mind, we’re comparing him to other frames. Reckoning does NO damage outside of low levels, soft locks you during its cast, lasts for almost no time, has a blind that’s never been useful, and is only used in restrictive and specific armor strip builds. DE are calling 4s Ultimates now and Reckoning does NOT warrant that justification. 

Here's one point we disagree on: I belive that Oberon's kit in general is good. Smite is unimpressive, but many first abilities are in WF. These abilities are usually meant to be used on low levels, and basically as a warm-up to the rest of the kit. Even 1st abilities on frames that are considered very good are meh a lot of the times (Volt, Limbo, Excalibur etc.). Infused Smite, on the other hand, is very good. Hollowed Ground has some interesting uses, as it creates a field of negative status removal, as well as CC with radiation, and buffs ally armor in combination with his 3. I actually really like the synergy here - you get something extra for making these two abilities work together. Renewal is often negatively compared to Wisp's health Reservoir, but I actually like Oberon's take on team healing - the team only needs to get in Renewal's range once, and they benefit for as long as Oberon has energy (Hunter's Adrenaline anyone?). The only problem is the energy consumtion. Reckoning is the one ability that makes no sense (I mean, why would a healer need 50% health orb drop chance here? If his passive at the very least did SOMETHING whenever he picks up health orbs, than maybe we would have something going on here). As for armor stripping... too much hastle for not enough gain.

The issue is in the numbers - too much energy cost for not enough effect. My 293% strength Oberon Prime only does 117 health/sec healing (which on higher levels gets easily outpaced by enemy fire). Iron Renewal only get's me a pathetic 568 armor bonus, and while Reckoning gets me an 87% armor strip, I need to make sure that enemies are standing in Hollowed Ground to get it to stick (and think how many enemies will actually stand in Hollowed Ground when you try to use it)... 

With the use of Empower (replacing Reckoning of course) and Growing power as aura, I can get my effective power strength to 368% (thanks Infused Smite for just letting me see the number, insterad of needing to break out a calculator). At this ridiculous level of strength my Renewal gets me 147 health/sec and Iron Renewal gets me 737 armor... These still can be easily outmatched by high-level enemies... I strongly think that at with the strength of 368%, I should be getting at least 200 health/sec and over 1k armor bonus here - I mean, in order to be even able to get there I had to make serious sacrtifices in the build. For example: my efficiency is 45% - friggin Hollowed Ground costs me 77 energy! Reckoning with the same build costs me 155 per CAST! Also, since it is only a 1 Umbra forma build so far, I only have the base armor of 225. Once I get myself another Umbra Forma, I will get the third umbra mod on and get more armor, but will loose about 11% strength to do it. With all that I am convinced that what Oberon truly needs is a revision of his stats, particularly his energy consumption and the effect of his abilities.

In terms of rework, I only agree that his passive is rather unimpressive, and his 4 needs to be completely redone. The rest of his kit is fine - as I said, the stats need a serious buff.

11 hours ago, Redfeather75 said:

He's so boring and now he's a pain to get. I have no idea what's going on with oberon.

I do not believe that he is boring, but I TOTALLY AGREE that moving his drops to railjak was absolutely stupid. With the stats he currently has, he is quite solid on low to mid level content, but starts falling off on high level - so the moment you can get him, he is already starting to struggle... wtf?!

Archived