Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Weapon of SpaceNinja Should focus on The Melee Weapon ,not the guns

MCBBing233

maybe guns should really need to be strengthened,but melee weapons shouldn`t be weakened.

In many shooting games ,It is common for guns to be stronger than melee weapons,I don`t think it`s a bad thing if melee weapons are stronger than guns,I think it can be an attractive feature.If the melee weapons are weakened, we will lose an advantage that can attract new players to join the game

A Ninja`s weapon is Samurai sword,not the guns,right?

3 minutes ago, MCBBing233 said:

maybe guns should really need to be strengthened,but melee weapons shouldn`t be weakened.

In many shooting games ,It is common for guns to be stronger than melee weapons,I don`t think it`s a bad thing if melee weapons are stronger than guns,I think it can be an attractive feature.If the melee weapons are weakened, we will lose an advantage that can attract new players to join the game

Season 2 No GIF by Paramount+

1 hour ago, MCBBing233 said:

You might wanna do some research on that first...

I thought historical ninjas basically used whatever as a weapon - usually farm tools - so they were readily able to blend in with ordinary society.

And in film terms, I thought bows and throwing knives - basically anything stereotypically "quiet" - was well within their repertoire. And the only real reason guns were excluded was them being loud. (Fantastical silencers kind of render that problem moot)

And if anything, a melee weapon was something of last resort, with ranged methods of assassination being preferred. What with not having to worry about infiltrating brightly lit premises and the like. Or maybe I'm thinking just regular assassins on that one - film ninjas and film assassins have a good bit of overlap...

I mean if we're really going to go the ninja route, then we should more be punished for mass-killing (ninjas were focused on subtlety and precision, not mass slaughter, after all).

Or maybe we're not really going down the ninja route and the preferred weapons of ninjas can be as easily ignored as their tactics.

2 hours ago, MCBBing233 said:

A Ninja`s weapon is Samurai sword . . .

I don't know, that doesn't sound quite right to me.  Let's consult a team of experts on this one...

Blank Stare Staring GIFBlank Stare Staring GIFBlank Stare Staring GIF

Ok, if I'm interpreting that answer correctly, apparently samurai swords were -not- the usual weapons for ninja.

Anyway, AFAIC, the ninja thing in this game was long gone by the time I started playing in 2017.   Most of the frames make no sense as ninja, and very little of the gameplay does either.

Remember folks the Edo period was not 100% of Japan's history. Despite what some Japanese lords would like to remember, there was social mobility between poor samurai and wealthy farmers and merchants. Farmers and merchants (and "ninjas" impersonating them) could have been so armed. This was such a problem that several times there were sword hunts to remove weapons from the populace. 

17 hours ago, MCBBing233 said:

Read that sentence aloud.

15 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

I thought historical ninjas basically used whatever as a weapon - usually farm tools - so they were readily able to blend in with ordinary society.

And in film terms, I thought bows and throwing knives - basically anything stereotypically "quiet" - was well within their repertoire. And the only real reason guns were excluded was them being loud. (Fantastical silencers kind of render that problem moot)

And if anything, a melee weapon was something of last resort, with ranged methods of assassination being preferred. What with not having to worry about infiltrating brightly lit premises and the like. Or maybe I'm thinking just regular assassins on that one - film ninjas and film assassins have a good bit of overlap...

I mean if we're really going to go the ninja route, then we should more be punished for mass-killing (ninjas were focused on subtlety and precision, not mass slaughter, after all).

Or maybe we're not really going down the ninja route and the preferred weapons of ninjas can be as easily ignored as their tactics.

As fair I remember they used things that started as farming tool (Sai - Okina in WF). Source explaining how it started.

As fair I remember Ninjas were not only assassins. They are using herbs for healing & poisoning, art of "decoy" etc.

Maybe DE started this game to have some "huge" focus on melee to bring potential players? In my opinion they shouldn't forget about melee as it set this game from other shooters. It's long way (to fix melee).

And guns... and other futuristic weapons... they can be used for "future ninja" model.

Alright, lets go down the list.

21 hours ago, MCBBing233 said:

In many shooting games ,It is common for guns to be stronger than melee weapons

Arguably, it's more common for melee attacks to be stronger than guns. This isn't the case all the time, but especially in games with some form of dedicated melee weapon, it's often one of the highest-damage options - consider the Energy Sword.

This is to offset the innate weakness of bringing a knife to a gunfight, as it were. As I said, this isn't always the case, as often melee will alternatively function as a pistol equivalent - a weak attack with unlimited ammo. However, in pure shooters, this is rarely the case.

I think it can be an attractive feature.If the melee weapons are weakened, we will lose an advantage that can attract new players to join the game

Not really. If anything the reverse may be true.

What makes melee in Warframe an attractive feature is that the game hybridises being an third-person shooter with a hack-n-slash game. As opposed to most games which only focus on one or the other - most shooters have very limited one-note melee systems, and most hack-n-slash's have highly simplistic gunplay. However, on this note, it is worth considering that gunplay should  also be powerful, as a wide variety of interesting guns is also an attractive feature to a different crowd, allowing Warframe to attract a wider audience.

Media Ninja, sure, although in real life they made use of whatever tool was most appropriate, which often included guns and rarely included Katana due to them being expensive, difficult to hide and eventually illegal to own.

However, as stated earlier, the Tenno are often marketed as wielding both. Maybe with a bias towards melee weapons, but the majority of promotional art will feature Tenno adorned with both - largely as the Tenno are often described as 'Masters of Gun and Blade'.

Melee is a cooler way to dispatch enemies, while learning how to make the most of the speed and agility of warframes.

Then there's the way the game itself is set up, with hordes of enemies to dispatch, and a gameplay loop that incentivizes efficiency. Splitting wigs one at a time with a burst fire rifle just sounds like an idea meant for a completely different game. And that's without getting into the different bubble shields, shield gating, and so on.

This doesn't need to be Destiny, where gunplay is preferred because the movement is slow and floaty, and the few good melee weapons have an ammo counter.

sigh this again we are literal walking space nukes there are warframes with pet dragons and sea monsters lets not forget sevegoth and nekros who are basically death incarnate or barruk a monk with anger issues (tdlr warframe lowkey fails at being a ninja game not that this is a bad thing tho) stop trying to limit warframe to just a ninja game its so much more  

The warframes are not the space ninja. The focus on space ninja weapons is Amps. 

if you have some other notion that tries to tell us that spoiler mode is not an invisible silent killer with mobility and tricks then that’s on you.

if you think Rhino is a space ninja that’s also on you.

On 2021-06-26 at 9:36 AM, (PSN)CambionDrift said:

The warframes are not the space ninja. The focus on space ninja weapons is Amps. 

if you have some other notion that tries to tell us that spoiler mode is not an invisible silent killer with mobility and tricks then that’s on you.

if you think Rhino is a space ninja that’s also on you.

Picard Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Aside the weapon joke, I don't think this is a game about ninja, even though the game call it itself.
Double jump and flying around are not ninja enough to me.
Have you seen some of the animation? the old man gasp after hacking? and the little girl pick up item?

16 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

Nechramechs, railjack, casual loud explosive weapons, Oh how far DE has strayed from "space ninja"

Within the first year of release we had a Rocket Launcher, A Flamethrower and a Grenade launcher, alongside multiple LMG's, shotguns and flak cannons. If we count the second year, we can add black hole cannons and buzz saws which were Tenno made in case you want to say that the above weren't made by the 'ninja faction'.  Not to mention several of the loudest, least stealthy frames came out over those years.

DE have always used the tagline of 'Space Ninja' but has never let it restrict their weapon design and gameplay.

On 2021-06-24 at 4:01 AM, MCBBing233 said:

A Ninja`s weapon is Samurai sword

Ninja ≠ Samurai, you know that, right? A samurai sword would have been carried by a samurai, not a ninja, the clue's in the name.

On 2021-06-24 at 4:01 AM, MCBBing233 said:

It is common for guns to be stronger than melee weapons

Quite the opposite. It's common for melee to be more damaging to make up for their lack of range. It's a trope in its own right, see chainsaws in Doom etc.

The problem with melee in Warframe is not that it's too strong, it's that it's too dumb. This isn't Dark Souls (where carefully timed attacks burn stamina) or DMC (where attacks chain together to create more powerful variants). It's mash melee button to win.

If you want deep melee combat try Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

On 2021-06-24 at 5:21 PM, quxier said:

Read that sentence aloud.

As fair I remember they used things that started as farming tool (Sai - Okina in WF). Source explaining how it started.

As fair I remember Ninjas were not only assassins. They are using herbs for healing & poisoning, art of "decoy" etc.

Maybe DE started this game to have some "huge" focus on melee to bring potential players? In my opinion they shouldn't forget about melee as it set this game from other shooters. It's long way (to fix melee).

And guns... and other futuristic weapons... they can be used for "future ninja" model.

If you want to be completely technical, Ninjas rarely engaged in assassination, melee or otherwise. When they did, there's no reason why they wouldn't use any weapon that got the job done. Japanese short swords do exist, and they likely would have been considered for jobs where any detection was certain death (I. E. no pretending to be a clueless peasant when you're deep in someone's personal estate), providing one was acquirable (Good iron wasn't exactly abundant in feudal Japan).

More than anything, though, ninja were closer in nature to spies. Assassinations did happen, but they were considered messy business. Theft, spying, subterfuge, sometimes even passing a message to someone undetected. That sort of thing was far more common, as it was far less risky business, yet still highly in demand.

A better understanding of what the OP is talking about is eastern/orient Martial archetypes, swordsman and other weapon using sorts especially. Typically seen as swift on their feet and highly skilled, as compared to your stereotypical western knight waddling around in plate while they awkwardly flail a giant sword around. Y'know, that other thing that actually didn't happen that often in the occident, that everyone including us focuses on any time we make fantasy.

All cultures have their warrior mythos. You lot focus too much on the specifics and ignore the underlying point: Be it samurai or ninja, or even the ubiquitous archer, Warframe has moved away from its thematic roots quite a lot over time and not everyone is completely happy with that.

Archived