Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PROTEA

(PSN)XxToxicClipz

Question

22 answers to this question

not going to judge you on buying protea since it isn't relevant to the question!

anyway I like some efficiency this will allow you to instantly drop dispenser to start of a mission generating energy and will allow you to spam the turrets more when are the main killing thing!

Get rid of her 4 and use gloom, it makes a big difference. Protea is a very good frame, she is tanky when using shield grenades and dispensary. Her turrets give her extra fire power when needed or to hold a choke point. 

Duration and some power strength and she is good. Gloomy Protea is my third most played frame cause she is a good all a rounder.

On 2021-06-25 at 1:22 AM, (PSN)lnsanelySkilled said:

hello community i recently bought the warframe protea and need advice on how use her abilities and wat type mods use on her as i am having hard time understanding the frame entirely 

Her 1 on the slash grenade setting has nicely scaling damage; on the shield drone setting, it gives you very nice survivability in the form of overshields and constant shieldgating (the latter being more important in levels above the vanilla star chart). Her 2 is her flashiest DPS ability, with auto-aim in an unmoddable 130-degree angular range, innate heat for constant CC, and a multiplier that scales with number of enemies hit per shot (so the multiplier works very well with grouping abilities like Larva or Ensnare); it has low duration, but that mostly just means you'll spam it a lot. Her 3 spews out free energy orbs, universal ammo pickups, and health orbs on a rotating basis; with increased strength, the chance of receiving a double drop on every drop rotation increases. Her 4 snapshots your state (location, health, energy, and more) at the time of cast, and after a set duration, forcibly pulls you back to your snapshotted state while cleansing you of status effects, and releasing a blast towards nearby enemies that scales on damage dealt between cast and ability end. If you take lethal damage after casting but before the end of this ability, you'll be rewound without the other benefits for an instant knockdown and refill of 5% of total health. Her passive gives you 100% bonus (additive) power strength every 3 ability casts (you can track this via a meter in the bottom right).

The way I play her is this: plop down her 3, spam 2, use 1 for survivability (on the shield grenade setting). Range affects the reach of 2 (though not its angular range), strength affects shield drone overshield capacity and recharge rate and base damage amounts on damage abilities, duration affects the obvious. 4 is sort of niche and not as great as the others (the energy regain is nice but not needed since 3 upkeeps energy so well; the nuke effect is also nice, but 2 and 1 do fine damage without needing to wait between cast and end to deal that damage - i.e. they're sustained; it's not very good for survivability in practice). As such, her 4 is typically considered the "Helminth infuse slot" if you choose to infuse her with anything. Decent options include Roar, Breach Surge, Larva, and Ensnare; I've tried Roar and Ensnare, and currently use Ensnare for that sweet, sweet multiplier bonus (consistently had over 300x in Steel Path once).

Here's my build for her, for reference. Hope it helps!

44 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

Khora's subsume should be better it isn't altered for diminished range and I think you can put down 2 of them at once

Larva uses half as much energy plus there's a nifty augment for it. Also you don't have to cast at an enemy for it to work. You can use this to pull enemies out of cover.

On 2021-06-28 at 8:23 PM, Tricky5hift said:

Recommend that you grind another Nidus and subsume Larva onto her 4.

Khora's subsume should be better it isn't altered for diminished range and I think you can put down 2 of them at once

7 minutes ago, chaotea said:

Better than nothing. as im doing my rewind thing with 4 it doesnt really cost me energy in the long run, and what i do get back covers the energy i spend on the 4, as long as i dont get too spammy.

Ok, on 100% efficiency you have to restore 175 energy (100 from 4th and 75 from dispensary). Dispensary gives you 1 Orb. It's 25 or 50 energy (I'm not sure which one). Only 2nd case (50 energy) have ~40 chance to cover her 4th.

If i'm not build strength/efficiency/duration for Dispensary then I would just use Pizzas (or other re generators).

On 2021-06-25 at 2:56 PM, (PSN)lnsanelySkilled said:

So what should i go for in a build as im still confused

Honestly like any warframe its up to how you like to play them. Alot of people dont use the 4, thinking its not great, but it can be very strong if used right.

Id say this: Level her up, just focusing on survivability (as no amount of power strength matters if your dead). Once shes leveled, try different things out, like a mostly strength, or mostly duration. Once you have an idea on what playstyles seem more your thing, focus a build around that.

Protea makes a very good heavy gunner.   Her dispensary will spit out atmo gun ammo so you pretty much have infinite.   This is kind of stationary tho..  (Cortege/Morgha/Maus)  Combined with shields and grenades and turret....   

Protea is a great candidate to shield tank.   Use some shield mods,  adaptation and arcane barrier and she can be pretty invinc.   You dont really need Naramon for melee or Zenurik for energy so that frees you up to use Madura for more damage.  

3 hours ago, quxier said:

But do you have some Strength on her? Otherwise it's just like ~13% chance for extra orb, 38% in total as fair I remember.

Better than nothing. as im doing my rewind thing with 4 it doesnt really cost me energy in the long run, and what i do get back covers the energy i spend on the 4, as long as i dont get too spammy.

Though the build i use is moslty range for that nice razor wire feeling.

Recommend that you grind another Nidus and subsume Larva onto her 4. The whole time-reversal gimmick is cool at first but it isn't really all that practical.

With Larva you can pull a bunch of enemies together and then use her Blaze Artillery to dish out some crazy damage depending on how many enemies you've got collected. Since her turrets damage scales off of enemies hit, you should start racking up some pretty insane multipliers since the projectiles from turrets have innate punch-through as well.

Alternatively, you can use the Proboscis Cernos to pull enemies together although its not quite as effective as Larva. You can then just keep her default 4 or just subsume Ember's Fire Blast for some more radial armor strip.

Here is my build with Larva subsumed onto her 4: http://warframe-builder.com/s/54822747b3639644

On 2021-06-25 at 12:56 PM, quxier said:

I'm not using Dispensary (3rd) because it's "hard" to use with her 4th and it's not cheap. Sure, if you have teams that needs it you can just slap Dispensary at the end of Temporal Anchor (4th).

I tend to tap 3 when ive got my powered cast, otherwise spamming 1 or 2

1 hour ago, (PSN)lnsanelySkilled said:

Well...

~150 duration

130 efficiency

~150 strength

Some range

Flow (primed if you want)

That's give you ok builds. If you have Helminth I would change 3rd as you don't really need energy that much.

For survivality, some vitality, rolling guard adaptation <- pick whatever you want.

I like her fast so I've put Rush (+45% speed afair).

1 hour ago, quxier said:

Or just don't like grind/RNg and prefere earn plat (e.g. prime parts) and buy frames & stuffs (like me).

They are helpful but when Toxin (afair) or some CHEATER throw a hook at you then it's not so helpful.

With rolling guard and maybe adaptation we are pretty safe.

I think she doesn't need energy NOT because of her 3 but because of her 1st & 2nd ability (and maybe 4th) makes it cheap to spam those abilities.

Using 1st, 2nd & 3rd ability (no 4th):

1st has pretty high duration so you don't need to spam it a lot. So duration would be nice.

2nd has short duration but it's quick and CC (and maybe kill) enemies. It's nice to spam it so efficiency for that.

3rd.... I don't like it. It requires you to do "something" for it to work (for energy/hp). You can:

- put lot of strength (and maybe use Protea's 4th cast to get +50% strength) to get more drops of energy/hp/ammo

- arcane energize, especially high level. It gives 25/50/75/100/125/150 free energy

- put lot of duration. The more it stays, the more you have chance of given drop (hp/energy/ammo), however, after initial drop (hp, energy & ammo) you still can get one drop, depending on your state (e.g. when I tested it I have been getting only ammo)

-Equilibrum - it duplicates & converts hp to energy & energy to hp, so every energy orb you get free hp orb, hp orb => free energy; it's good because it will duplicate initial drop

It's nice to have Arcane eruption as every energy orb CC enemies.

As for usage with 4th:

This ability is little tricky. In my opinion you cannot slap duration and expect to have fun. You need pick duration depending on your need. I've put ~150 duration. You can manually rewind but I find "right" time to be not breaking the flow of the game.

Spamming 1st & 2rd:

They are pretty cheap but you don't want to go for negative efficiency with them. I think neutral (100%) or slightly more (130% with efficiency mod) works best. I've put Prime Flow so I'm using it when I have more energy.

I'm not using Dispensary (3rd) because it's "hard" to use with her 4th and it's not cheap. Sure, if you have teams that needs it you can just slap Dispensary at the end of Temporal Anchor (4th).

Using 4th (Temporal anchor) for short "walks":

This is where right duration plays the most important role. If you pick it right you can go to some place and come back. In mobile defense, excavations and maybe defense you put TA at excavator/defense-object, go do some stuffs and TA will rewind you to excavator/defense-object. For exavators you can pick Energy things but afair when TA activates it drops those things. So you can go reverse: go where there are lot of Energy things, activate TA, pick Energy thing, go to Excavator, rewind. Repeat.

For spy or sabotage you activate TA in place where it's harder to come back. For example in Greener sabotage I use TA in few points:

- before destroying 2 fans, I go destroy fans, go to take coolant (as fair I remember) and it rewinds me before door

- you need go down, put some coolant into another thing and come back; I activate TA before entering down.

You can use TA for spamming Heavy attack or some guns but I don't find it very good.

1 hour ago, chaotea said:

Because some people pay with money because they cant afford the time.

Or just don't like grind/RNg and prefere earn plat (e.g. prime parts) and buy frames & stuffs (like me).

2 hours ago, Am_Sha3gar said:

doesn't need survivability because of her shield grenades

They are helpful but when Toxin (afair) or some CHEATER throw a hook at you then it's not so helpful.

With rolling guard and maybe adaptation we are pretty safe.

2 hours ago, Am_Sha3gar said:

doesn't need energy generation because of her 3

I think she doesn't need energy NOT because of her 3 but because of her 1st & 2nd ability (and maybe 4th) makes it cheap to spam those abilities.

Using 1st, 2nd & 3rd ability (no 4th):

1st has pretty high duration so you don't need to spam it a lot. So duration would be nice.

2nd has short duration but it's quick and CC (and maybe kill) enemies. It's nice to spam it so efficiency for that.

3rd.... I don't like it. It requires you to do "something" for it to work (for energy/hp). You can:

- put lot of strength (and maybe use Protea's 4th cast to get +50% strength) to get more drops of energy/hp/ammo

- arcane energize, especially high level. It gives 25/50/75/100/125/150 free energy

- put lot of duration. The more it stays, the more you have chance of given drop (hp/energy/ammo), however, after initial drop (hp, energy & ammo) you still can get one drop, depending on your state (e.g. when I tested it I have been getting only ammo)

-Equilibrum - it duplicates & converts hp to energy & energy to hp, so every energy orb you get free hp orb, hp orb => free energy; it's good because it will duplicate initial drop

It's nice to have Arcane eruption as every energy orb CC enemies.

As for usage with 4th:

This ability is little tricky. In my opinion you cannot slap duration and expect to have fun. You need pick duration depending on your need. I've put ~150 duration. You can manually rewind but I find "right" time to be not breaking the flow of the game.

Spamming 1st & 2rd:

They are pretty cheap but you don't want to go for negative efficiency with them. I think neutral (100%) or slightly more (130% with efficiency mod) works best. I've put Prime Flow so I'm using it when I have more energy.

Using 4th (Temporal anchor) for short "walks":

This is where right duration plays the most important role. If you pick it right you can go to some place and come back. In mobile defense, excavations and maybe defense you put TA at excavator/defense-object, go do some stuffs and TA will rewind you to excavator/defense-object. For exavators you can pick Energy things but afair when TA activates it drops those things. So you can go reverse: go where there are lot of Energy things, activate TA, pick Energy thing, go to Excavator, rewind. Repeat.

For spy or sabotage you activate TA in place where it's harder to come back. For example in Greener sabotage I use TA in few points:

- before destroying 2 fans, I go destroy fans, go to take coolant (as fair I remember) and it rewinds me before door

- you need go down, put some coolant into another thing and come back; I activate TA before entering down.

You can use TA for spamming Heavy attack or some guns but I don't find it very good.

3 minutes ago, Am_Sha3gar said:

She benefits a lot from duration, doesn't need survivability because of her shield grenades and doesn't need energy generation because of her 3, so she has a lot of free space in her build, you can use a lot of different things.

I like putting a lot of duration and strength, use her 1 for the shields, her 3 for energy and her 2 in combination with the proboscis cernos to obliterate enemies (if you have something to group enemies it's really really good with the punchthrough and the scaling damage, you could think of subsuming larva or esnare in her 4); never really used her 4 much, just sometimes to spam her 2 with primed flow (which is a good mod on her since her 3 gives a lot of energy). The augment doesn't seem really useful, there are other ways to preserve companions, and they can pick up the shield grenades too, so i'd avoid it.

Also you can pump range to get her stun grenades to cover a really huge area.

thanks for info i will try this method out as my build i have survival part down just need other areas covered also where can i find growing power mod since this update 

She benefits a lot from duration, doesn't need survivability because of her shield grenades and doesn't need energy generation because of her 3, so she has a lot of free space in her build, you can use a lot of different things.

I like putting a lot of duration and strength, use her 1 for the shields, her 3 for energy and her 2 in combination with the proboscis cernos to obliterate enemies (if you have something to group enemies it's really really good with the punchthrough and the scaling damage, you could think of subsuming larva or esnare in her 4); never really used her 4 much, just sometimes to spam her 2 with primed flow (which is a good mod on her since her 3 gives a lot of energy). The augment doesn't seem really useful, there are other ways to preserve companions, and they can pick up the shield grenades too, so i'd avoid it.

Also you can pump range to get her stun grenades to cover a really huge area.

Archived