Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will FSR be available in warframe?

lhardy

As FSR has been presented a few hours ago and can be used with any graphic card, will It be implemented in warframe? 

It good be a nice tool to improve performance after QOL changes in low profile GPU and APU's, what would be nice.

I mean.. maybe? There's not much to be said if it was just presented a few hours ago other then "huh, that looks interesting".

Being not locked to AMD cards at least gives it a better chance then dedicated software like PhysX.

(it say available to select NVidia cards, but it's everything from the 16 series to the 30 series, which covers pretty much everything one could reasonably expect)

1 hour ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

Not any graphics card, and all their testing is done with basically top of the line CPUs, leading me to believe that you need a beefy system for it up front, and it's going to be marginal to meaningless to lower end things.

Wrong. Someone ran it on an integrated intel GPU.

Also, apparently it's rather simple to implement (that's words of game developers who added it to their games)

I'd like to see it in Warframe.
Places like Deimos often grind the FPS down, and I know people playing on weaker rigs where it would do wonders.

2 minutes ago, Shifted said:

Wrong. Someone ran it on an integrated intel GPU.

But was it any good in that scenario?  Just because it ran on low end stuff doesn't negate the thought that it might well be pointless on lower end systems.  Like with PhysX and RTX.  Sure, they can run on significantly less than ideal hardware, but they're crap.  Will it be the same here?

12 minutes ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

But was it any good in that scenario?  Just because it ran on low end stuff doesn't negate the thought that it might well be pointless on lower end systems.  Like with PhysX and RTX.  Sure, they can run on significantly less than ideal hardware, but they're crap.  Will it be the same here?

Are you even aware what FSR does?

Yes. It works. It's MADE to improve performance...

1 minute ago, Shifted said:

Yes, I am aware of what it does.  But what kind of system is needed to actually see meaningful improvements?  If they wanted to show off how it could improve low end systems they should have tested with low end systems, not just high end stuff.  Brilliant, it can improve the performance of a game running on a top of the line processor and a decent video card.  Now show it making meaningful improvements with less than stellar hardware.

10 minutes ago, Shifted said:

Techtuber previews show that it only truly benefits higher end using higher resolutions because lower resolutions hit CPU bottlenecks instead, negating any possible improvement. 

Remember: The less resources are used by your GPU, the easier it is to reach a CPU bottleneck. While it can "work" on lower-end, it gets negated unless the bottleneck is the GPU.

Just now, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

Yes, I am aware of what it does.  But what kind of system is needed to actually see meaningful improvements?  If they wanted to show off how it could improve low end systems they should have tested with low end systems, not just high end stuff.  Brilliant, it can improve the performance of a game running on a top of the line processor and a decent video card.  Now show it making meaningful improvements with less than stellar hardware.

Christ, I just said. Intel integrated GPU.

Intel HD 4000 - From 11 FPS to 17 FPS
intel Xe integrated GPU - from 30 FPS to 50 FPS

If you want more results, google it.

Gamers Nexus did testing on an AMD iGPU and also shown crazy improvements.

Just now, Shifted said:

Christ, I just said. Intel integrated GPU.

Intel HD 4000 - From 11 FPS to 17 FPS
intel Xe integrated GPU - from 30 FPS to 50 FPS

If you want more results, google it.

Gamers Nexus did testing on an AMD iGPU and also shown crazy improvements.

You said they ran it.  Literally nothing about how much of an improvement it provided.  As far as your original comment went, it might have actually degraded performance.  So thank you.  You finally got to the point I was questioning.  Does it actually help on lower end hardware?  The answer is "Yes, potentially a decent amount."

8 minutes ago, Aldain said:

To those of us who aren't obsessed with hardware improvements what even is FSR supposed to mean?

FidelityFX Super Resolution is AMD's equivalent/answer to Nvidia's Deep-Learning Super-Sampling (DLSS):

Render the game at a lower resolution (Saving performance) while upscaling it to minimize/negate the visual quality loss.

They work differently, but they aim to accomplish the same thing: Boost 1440p and 4k gaming performance while looking nearly as good.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

You said they ran it.  Literally nothing about how much of an improvement it provided.  As far as your original comment went, it might have actually degraded performance.  So thank you.  You finally got to the point I was questioning.  Does it actually help on lower end hardware?  The answer is "Yes, potentially a decent amount."

If you have just a slight technical understanding of what it does, you'd realize it's logical it would run better.

Instead of forcing your gpu to produce 2 million pixels per frame (at 1080p), instead it asks for 1 million (or less) and fills the gaps using a faster way, resulting in more frames per second

The only scenario where it wouldn't help is in a cpu bottleneck, but it would be pretty damn hard to bottleneck a CPU at 60 or less FPS.

6 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

FidelityFX Super Resolution is AMD's equivalent/answer to Nvidia's Deep-Learning Super-Sampling (DLSS):

Render the game at a lower resolution (Saving performance) while upscaling it to minimize/negate the visual quality loss.

They work differently, but they aim to accomplish the same thing: Boost 1440p and 4k gaming performance while looking nearly as good.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Doesn't really matter to me since I'm not in the subset chasing graphics to that degree, but it's neat I guess.

1 minute ago, Shifted said:

If you have just a slight technical understanding of what it does, you'd realize it's logical it would run better.

Instead of forcing your gpu to produce 2 million pixels per frame (at 1080p), instead it asks for 1 million (or less) and fills the gaps using a faster way, resulting in more frames per second

The only scenario where it wouldn't help is in a cpu bottleneck, but it would be pretty damn hard to bottleneck a CPU at 60 or less FPS.

It's that filling in of the gaps that was the big question.  If that doesn't take a ton of CPU, which apparently it doesn't, then great.  Sure upscaling itself doesn't take much, but the better you try to upscale, the more processing you're going to need to do.

21 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Remember: The less resources are used by your GPU, the easier it is to reach a CPU bottleneck. While it can "work" on lower-end, it gets negated unless the bottleneck is the GPU.

I guess you are talking about the 1080p graph in LTT video.

Low GPU usage is not a cause, but a symptom.

It's the high amount of frames that's the cause of the bottleneck.
GPU is too fast, so it's "bored" waiting for the CPU to prepare another frame.

If you can push 180 FPS in native res, you shouldn't even be thinking of FSR. 

18 hours ago, Shifted said:

If you can push 180 FPS in native res, you shouldn't even be thinking of FSR. 

That really depends on if the fps is stable or not at that rate. If not FSR will improve it by making the difference between min and max narrower, just like DLSS does. Which results in a smoother and crisper gameplay experience as a whole. Good that AMD sets out to make this a global thing, it will help the cards that cannot run DLSS i.e everything besides 20xx and 30xx Nvidia cards.

Archived