Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kuva Lich and a new player

Lord_Shadovar

I am fairly new to the game... only been playing for about 3 weeks and the other day I killed some npc and it started this lich thing. So I looked at the little red box in the lower right corner and it gave a very bad description of what I need to do. Most of the stuff they are talking about I have no clue what it is. So I looked it up and watched some videos and it seems that this lich is now going to steal all of my loot when I go on certain runs. My first question is as a new player still trying to learn the normal game is there a way to cancel this? I know warframe is a grind but having something steal my run loot is almost enough to stop playing. The only reason I will not is I just spent some money on the game and it will be wasted if I do. So I hope there is an easy way to get back to having fun without spend hours on end trying to learn about something I would never of started if I knew it was there before hand. Maybe when I learn the game more and get better frames/weapons and mods this will be something I may want to do. But for now I have more than enough to keep me busy and learning than have to deal with something that is going to force me to deal with it if I want to keep my run loot. Any help is welcome to get this over with.

With how many of these threads pop up it should be a clear indicator for DE to make a quest to act as a tutorial for it.

But yeah sadly you can't cancel the lich, however do not worry about stolen stuff as you will get it back after defeating the lich, best would be to ask someone to help and guide you through the lich system. It is something you will want to do obviously due the stuff that you can get from it but when you feel more ready for it, for now just get someone to help you clear it.

On the one hand, I question why you triggered it ( the "how you triggered it" I'm guessing is a pub who met the criteria). It's something you have to choose to do (Parazon kills, esp with the new hold, aren't part of combat flow that early, I'd think), but I've also never bought the "accident" line. Mostly because of my approach to games but I digress.

On the other hand, there does need to be a quest or hard preventative measure. If you're 3wks into the game, and I'm assuming not geared or used to DE's non-explanations yet, I'm guessing you don't have the kit to down your Lich on your own. The whole system is a shining example of DE not explaining anything and relying on the crutch of a player-run wiki. The Codex doesn't explain it, the Lich screen doesn't explain it, if you weren't following the development of it, you have basically no clue what to do besides not mercy-killing this weird enemy with a weapon preview until you know exactly what you're doing.

(For the record, my first experience with a Lich was a clanmate who basically glitched a Lich, iirc. His melee triggered the mercy kill, idk if that's been fixed. All the others I've seen personally have been voluntary.)

24 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

On the one hand, I question why you triggered it ( the "how you triggered it" I'm guessing is a pub who met the criteria). It's something you have to choose to do (Parazon kills, esp with the new hold, aren't part of combat flow that early, I'd think), but I've also never bought the "accident" line. Mostly because of my approach to games but I digress.

If you don't even know about the kuva lich stuff and you are just going around killing critters how do you know this ONE npc is so special? And know what it means if you kill him? There was no popup warning saying anything. I don't even remember how it was done as I play in a lot of open pubs and they are known for just blowing throw stuff fast. So believe me or not as I KNOW I didn't trigger it on purpose.

It would be nice if they made it so you can't trigger this until you go through some type of tutorial first.

3 minutes ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

I KNOW I didn't trigger it on purpose

You did, how did you not notice the flickering lights, the kuva guardian transmission, the more obvious ones big square with a weapon on top of the thrall and the hold to kill?

Just because you don't know what will happen afterwards it doesn't make it an accident

8 minutes ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

If you don't even know about the kuva lich stuff and you are just going around killing critters how do you know this ONE npc is so special? And know what it means if you kill him? There was no popup warning saying anything. I don't even remember how it was done as I play in a lot of open pubs and they are known for just blowing throw stuff fast. So believe me or not as I KNOW I didn't trigger it on purpose.

It would be nice if they made it so you can't trigger this until you go through some type of tutorial first.

It isn't very clear as to what is means but the enemy to trigger a lich will kneel on the floor and have a weapon hovering above their head, even if you didn't know what killing it would do, you are forced to hold the X key in order to finish it off. So yeah even though the game does a terrible job of telling you what you are triggering you have to have known that SOMETHING was different about this enemy.

Anyway, I'm not blaming you, like a lot of people have already said in this thread, there needs to be a quest-like tutorial/introduction to liches. Who knows, maybe we will get something to that effect with the sisters of Parvos update.

1 minute ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

You did, how did you not notice the flickering lights, the kuva guardian transmission, the more obvious ones big square with a weapon on top of the thrall and the hold to kill?

Just because you don't know what will happen afterwards it doesn't make it an accident

I think what you don't grasp here is the NEW PLAYER part. Flicker lights??? What does that mean? Do you not get that all of that stuff you just said had no meaning to a new player?

5 minutes ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

I think what you don't grasp here is the NEW PLAYER part. Flicker lights??? What does that mean? Do you not get that all of that stuff you just said had no meaning to a new player?

Again, just because you didn't know what something means doesn't make it impossible for you to recognize it as something different. Yeah maybe you didn't know what the flickering lights meant, but I could show someone who's never played a video game before flickering lights and they would be able to recognize it as out of the ordinary.

Also again, I'm not blaming you for triggering the lich because as I said this game does a terrible job of telling you what you are triggering, but you did have to know that SOMETHING funky was going down.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Jmazing7 said:

Again, just because you didn't know what something means doesn't make it impossible for you to recognize it as something different. Yeah maybe you didn't know what the flickering lights meant, but I could show someone who's never played a video game before flickering lights and they would be able to recognize it as out of the ordinary.

I have seen the lights flicker before and it was not for this. I think they said it was a slayer. Half the time there are so many powers being spammed you can't tell what is going on. The bottom line is I did not know what it meant so yes it was an accident.

The definition of accident:

an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance

an unfortunate event resulting especially from ignorance 

an unfortunate incident that happens unintentionally

The way some are trying to twist the meaning means if you get in your car and get into a wreck it is not an accident because you chose to drive your car.

38 minutes ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

I'm not trying to be mean with this, it's just my approach to games:
The lights flicker (easy to miss, and I swear stuff changed recently, they flicker so often these days), you have to meet a kill count (probly a rando's fault), a unique enemy spawns that doesn't "die". At this point, you hit something new. My reaction is "don't touch it, I don't care what it is". I've been told often on older threads that this doesn't sit with a lot of WF's playerbase. There was a popup, of sorts, telling you what weapon you'd get by killing your Lich. There was also a prompt (that said "SAPWN LICH") where you had to hold X (interact) for a few seconds, which you could have let up on at any point and be safe. You had plenty of chances to back out.

I do agree with you, though. People getting shackled to a lvl 50+ snorefest/grind/annoyance/wall, even though they haven't done the prerequisite quests is nonsense. The only "solution" I can see at this point is the first Lich triggering a very dull "how to fight your Lich" tutorial that I'd expect most people to skip through.

2 minutes ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

I have seen the lights flicker before and it was not for this. I think they said it was a slayer. Half the time there are so many powers being spammed you can't tell what is going on. The bottom line is I did not know what it meant so yes it was an accident.

Here's a note for the future in regards to lights flickering: there's a list of possibilities ( Stalker, Syndicates, Juggernaut, Zanuka, Grustrag 3, and probly 3 others I'm forgetting). I get missing it from time to time. My (and probly others') point is what I mentioned above. It was an accident, but one you had a few points to avoid.

This probly sounds meaner than intended, but do get used to DE explaining almost nothing useful.

1 hour ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

On the other hand, there does need to be a quest or hard preventative measure. If you're 3wks into the game, and I'm assuming not geared or used to DE's non-explanations yet, I'm guessing you don't have the kit to down your Lich on your own. The whole system is a shining example of DE not explaining anything and relying on the crutch of a player-run wiki. The Codex doesn't explain it, the Lich screen doesn't explain it, if you weren't following the development of it, you have basically no clue what to do besides not mercy-killing this weird enemy with a weapon preview until you know exactly what you're doing.

(For the record, my first experience with a Lich was a clanmate who basically glitched a Lich, iirc. His melee triggered the mercy kill, idk if that's been fixed. All the others I've seen personally have been voluntary.)

Dont know about the melee glitch your clanmate experienced, but I have personally happened to spawn a lich by accident. I went to hunt the larvling and brought it to a sliver of its health, which triggered the standard "mercy" prompt. However, upon executing it, the lich was creating automatically, without me getting the prompt screen with the weapon and the "hold x to doubt spawn" prompt. Landed with a goddamn Seer which I then had to farm. Not saying thats what happened to OP, but its definetly possible to spawn a lich by accident.

5 minutes ago, Cerasium said:

Dont know about the melee glitch your clanmate experienced, but I have personally happened to spawn a lich by accident. I went to hunt the larvling and brought it to a sliver of its health, which triggered the standard "mercy" prompt. However, upon executing it, the lich was creating automatically, without me getting the prompt screen with the weapon and the "hold x to doubt spawn" prompt. Landed with a goddamn Seer which I then had to farm. Not saying thats what happened to OP, but its definetly possible to spawn a lich by accident.

I am thinking this may be the same thing that happened to me. I never saw a popup of a weapon or anything. The only thing I saw was it go to it's knees and killed it with my melee weapon. Next thing I know this big fat red guy is talking to me on the lower right of my screen.

Just ignore the lich for now.  They're just a funny creature borrowing a very small percentage of your loot from one planet, while taunting you when you login.  I think I ignored my first lich for about 4 months, and ended up converting him because he was funny.  I agree the lich system could use a tutorial for new players, but they really are just talk as long as you do not engage them and level them up.

28 minutes ago, Cerasium said:

I have personally happened to spawn a lich by accident. I went to hunt the larvling and brought it to a sliver of its health, which triggered the standard "mercy" prompt.

This sounds like a very DE glitch. The normal Mercy is based on health percentage and is usually (in my experience) meaningless. I can see DE not removing that threshold and having two possible Mercy kill possibilities on one thing.

14 minutes ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

I am thinking this may be the same thing that happened to me. I never saw a popup of a weapon or anything. The only thing I saw was it go to it's knees and killed it with my melee weapon.

...Wait what? I can see you Mercy killing faster than a popup, that's not hard, but it shouldn't just be the melee button. It would be your Interact button, unless you rebound it somehow to also be melee. Also, the "going to his knees" bit was your "big" red flag. At least, that's what people will say, especially the people who delete rooms. I, however, smell a bug.

2 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

This sounds like a very DE glitch. The normal Mercy is based on health percentage and is usually (in my experience) meaningless. I can see DE not removing that threshold and having two possible Mercy kill possibilities on one thing.

...Wait what? I can see you Mercy killing faster than a popup, that's not hard, but it shouldn't just be the melee button. It would be your Interact button, unless you rebound it somehow to also be melee. Also, the "going to his knees" bit was your "big" red flag. At least, that's what people will say, especially the people who delete rooms. I, however, smell a bug.

I did rebind most of my keys as I use the arrow keys for my movement. But to open things I use page down and melee is keypad 0. But he went to his knees from the group and I melee finished him as he was going to his knees. I agree going to his knees was odd but everyone was killing so fast I was trying to get as many kills as I could.

19 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

After reading his reply to you, I think what happened to him is similar to what happened to me: Both were cases of a finisher animation spawning a lich automatically (melee finisher in his case, mercy finisher in mine). Must be a glitch where killing an enemy with a finisher (which definitively kills it) causes the lich to auto-spawn as a result. Guess the code doesnt account for the possibility of a larvling getting downed with a finisher. Might be a good idea to bug-report this.

paragraphing: try it, it's free, you can sign up today, no questions asked!

3 hours ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

Any help is welcome to get this over with.

there *might* be people in recruit chat willing to help. most people with a Lich should be rushing to Convert/Vanquish them as quickly as possible to make way for the new Liches in our next update, but in the meantime, here's cliff notes on what the Hek is going on with the Lich system and what to do: whetehr you choose to use it or not is up to you, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to explain the system to anyone who doesn't know it:

Spoiler

- the Grineer guy/gal you encountered is called a "larvling". the big fat Kuva guardians (you'll have seen them in The War Within, as you can only get Liches after passing that quest) anoint them so that if you kill them, they take a knee and show you what weapon they'll come back with in Lich form (previosuly it was totally random with no way of knowing). you now have two choices: ignore the larvling and let it die, or Stab it with your Parazon , which will turn it into a Lich.

- after that mission, your Lich will appear and take over a few nodes on a planet. in order to beat the Lich, you will now need to partake in the Requiem mods and Murmur Farming; these sound more fanciful and complex than they really are, my next two points will explain that. your lich will have the weapon it says above their head before you stab the larvling, but they also have a random chance to have an Ephemera cosmetic which you get once you defeat them. the Lich will also wield an element on their weapon, based on the warframe you used to stab them, and a set of waframe powers based on that frame and element as well. generally speaking all liches have 3 powers and one mobility move, such as dash or teleport. if you wnat a Lich to have a particular Element, you can look up which frames create which type of Liches on the wiki.

- yes, Liches take your loot, but ALL of it is returned when a Lich is defeated, plus whatever else you got that mission (and they can take anything, even rivens lol)

- liches have followers in their missions called Thralls. you need to kill as many of these guys as possible, they are how you defeat your lich in the end. each time you kill a thrall, you get murmurs; once you get enough murmurs, it will unveil one of the 3 Requiem mods needed to take them down. you kill Thralls until you reveal all 3 Requiems, and then you just have to get them in the right order!

- Requiems: you will need to obtain Requiem relics, which  can drop from Thralls, and open them in a Requiem fissure (we also call them T5 fissures sometimes because they're even higher level than Axi, levels 50-60 to be exact.). run one of these fissures, open the relic and you *might* get a Requiem mod. when your Lich was created, it was given 3 random Requiems, and the key to beating them is getting the correct requiems, and in the correct order. you can also trade for Requiem mods if you need them. the mods only have 3 uses each, but a use is only taken when a lich is defeated.

- murmur farming and Lich Encounters: this just means doing the missions on nodes occupied by your lich and killing their thralls until you learn the 3 requiems. along the way of course, your lich will eventually get annoyed at you, and will make an appearance in your mission. they start at rank 1, and are not really all that tough. you now have a choice: you can try to ignore them and carry on murmur farming, or you can try to progress your requiems faster by trying to stab them. the Lich has 3 small health bars, and each time one is depleted, you can go up to them and stab them with your Parazon, same as you did to the larvling at the start.

- if  you stab the Lich and the requiem is wrong, or in the wrong place, they will disappear and will rank up. they can do this until they reach rank 5, and for each rank they get much stronger, their thralls become tougher etc. each rank they get, they will also take over another planet. you will however get a HUGE murmur boost for a failed stab, so it's still worth it (back in the day, instead of vanishing they would literally straight up back-breaker you and kill you instantly, then disappear. people didn't like it, but I thought it was hilarious.)

- if you stab the Lich and the requiem is correct, he Lich will lose that health bar permanently. 3 health bars, hence 3 requiems. 

- many of your initial stabs will be wrong, but it's simply a case of trial and error. you will eventually reach a point where you will have eliminated all possibilities and know exactly what requiems are needed and in what order.

- Lich defeated, what now?: once you have figured out the order and bested your lich in combat, you have a limited time to make your decision: do you want to Convert (keep) the Lich, or Vanquish them (kill them permanently.

- if you convert the Lich, they will serve you as an ally; appearing in random missions if you've lost at least one revive, and also being available for your Railjack crew (once you get around to that). you will also get to keep their Ephemera if they have one, but you will NOT get their weapon. you can also trade a Converted Lich to somebody in any Dojo that has a Lich Reliquary or w/e the room is called.

- if you Vanquish the Lich, you will kill them and get to keep their weapon; it will be waitign in your foundry when you return to your landing craft, and each Lich weapon can reach rank 40, if you put 5 Forma into it (every Forma grants 2 extra ranks above rank 30.). as a rsult of this, Lich weapons have higher mod capacity than other weapons and thus you can more or less put whatever mods on them you want. some of them are pretty powerful! you will also get to keep the Ephemera if your Lich had one. 

- you can receive a Lich from someone else if they've converted it, but once it is traded it cannot be traded again. it can still be converted to become yours if you wish. 

so TLDR:

- stab grineer 

- they get buff and take a place.

- you go there and kill their bois. LOTS of their bois.

- you use red cabbages (relics) dropped by bois to get magic cards.

- you use magic cards in right order to kill lich; you learn the right cards and card order from killing bois. LOTS of their bois.

- when buff Lich appears you stab him until he says "ow" instead of just vanishing and taking another planet. you do 3 ouchies in a row and the lich is defeated.

- you then decide to keep lich as servant or kill them for their shiny gun. 

and that's it. that's Liches! I hope you or somebody else finds this helpful!

Welcome.

Your experience with the game is exactly what warframe is like. They stopped you from having fun, then you had to go read up on how to stop them from stopping you.

Mostly everything in the game has a trap or hidden agenda which requires you really have to read up before you touch anything. 

Stealing your loot, especially as a new player, is not fun video gaming by any stretch of the imagination. The feeling you have right now, is pretty much standard for coping with warframe, so it's up to you to decide if you want to put up with it.

If you decide to not uninstall the game, the best that can be done is grouping up through the recruit tab and get it over with.

And remember the lesson well about reading up on everything looking for the traps always.

Also don't delete "broken war".

Archived