Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: The Lost Sector (Currently In Development)

PenutReaper

So. After multiple different methods of mods, I realised something.

I can make a database of mods, and use some form of SQL to get mod data from a server...

What this would mean is that the in game mods would be easier the balance/change.

I'll have a word with the rest of the team and see if this is something that we want to look into, if it is, I am happy to rent a server.

EDIT: Even more thoughts later I realised that a server would mean we can save player data. Hopefully meaning that you could start a game, save the data to our server and then resume from a completely different PC. Although this is all just ideas at this point.

Also, it would help to store data on a server if we intend to add any form of multiplayer... but that is something I really do have to talk to the guys about. My plan would be to post a survey and see how many people want multiplayer and how many do not, and go from there.

tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So, after experimenting a little, I am almost certain that Warframe: The Lost Sector will not be made using XNA as originally planned.

Instead, we are looking at using Unity, which has recently added full 2D support that I am finding incredibly easy to use.

My plan is to get some basic gameplay ready in Unity, which shouldn't take too long, I already have basic movement worked out. What this means is that progress SHOULD be faster than originally planned. It also means that we could potentially use the particle system included in Unity to add a little more flair. 

So, after experimenting a little, I am almost certain that Warframe: The Lost Sector will not be made using XNA as originally planned.

Instead, we are looking at using Unity, which has recently added full 2D support that I am finding incredibly easy to use.

My plan is to get some basic gameplay ready in Unity, which shouldn't take too long, I already have basic movement worked out. What this means is that progress SHOULD be faster than originally planned. It also means that we could potentially use the particle system included in Unity to add a little more flair. 

Physx or riot.

Just posting here to remember the topic.

@PeanutReaper:

I'll be sending you an official message/mail once I get home.

I'd like to help your project by contributing with music and soundeffects.

I did some Warframe inspired tracks quite a while ago.
https://soundcloud.com/crae/body-of-the-corpus

https://soundcloud.com/crae/strange-horizons-warframe

While these aren't 8bit I would love to try that out. Unfortunately, I can't offer much prior experience.

Just posting here to remember the topic.

@PeanutReaper:

I'll be sending you an official message/mail once I get home.

I'd like to help your project by contributing with music and soundeffects.

I did some Warframe inspired tracks quite a while ago.

https://soundcloud.com/crae/body-of-the-corpus

https://soundcloud.com/crae/strange-horizons-warframe

While these aren't 8bit I would love to try that out. Unfortunately, I can't offer much prior experience.

Ill be sure to take a look at these when I get home.

KAHgc6v.png

Hello there,

Recently, due after the events of this thread:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/111254-penutreapers-free-stuff/#entry1288399

and this thread:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/122353-8-bit-warframe/

I began programming a Retro style Warframe fan game. Currently there is a lot of work to be done, but I will try to update this thread with the game's progress. I would like to think of this as a community game, and as such, we will consider any contributions of any content at all from anyone here in the community, if you would like to make any contribution to the game, be it music, sound effects, graphics, etc. please feel free to PM me. If you would like to help with the story, I would PM AnonCat.

The "Main" Lost Sector Team:

Typhuus: Story/Graphics (Typhuus came up with the initial idea for the game)

PenutReaper: Programming/Level Design

AnonCat: Graphics/Story

AnonCat's Brother: Programming

The above people are regularly giving up their free time to work together to produce this game.

Special Mentions:

WingedSwine: He made the awesome logo you saw at the top of this post.

Mirbersc: Thanks for the awesome promo image you made.

Here is the last progress update:

Got some interesting things to show you that AnonCat made.

Basic Frost Idle:

QSGswIo.gif

Opening Locker:

MuB8PSs.gif

Older Updates.

Progress Update #1:

Progress Update #2.

http://youtu.be/_Xlaobob4-g

Progress Update #3.

Here is some very simple UI

aoCyU2J.png

Here is a short description of the game story taken from the post by Thyphuus:

Titled Warframe: the Lost Sector. The game would explore the events after the creation of the Tenno and how Hayden would have played his roll in their creation, as well as the birth of the Lotus. For the record I believe the Lotus is a byproduct of the Technocyte virus, she manifests and links those who are infected with Technocyte. this is why they can "hear" the infected at times. They become a hive mind of sorts, the only difference is Hayden's intervention in some way aloud these individuals to fight and control the virus. -Typhuus (Taken from his 8-bit Warframe thread)

And here is Thyphuus' concept of the finished game:

p4YDWAZ.png

Extra Information for people wishing to contribute to the game/join the team:

Just an extra note on any contributions people may wish to make:

-If you PM me with your contribution, I will read it, but be aware that my reply may be delayed.

-If your contribution has been accepted by me and the team, I will contact you to discuss it further.

-If your contribution has not been accepted, I will give the reason as to why this is so and give suggestions on how your suggestion may be improved/made more fitting for the game.

If you would like to join the team you should message me. The message should contain the following:

-The position you would like in the team.

-Examples of past work.

-What time zone you are in.

(Please be aware that the Time Zone you are in will not affect your ability to join the team.)

Hope you enjoy it,

PenutReaper

very cool man

cant go wrong with classic mode....but where is my rhino an volt?

So...

Here's what I call some progress, Unity Style.

TLS after around 20 mins of playing around in Unity.

Also, for those of you wanting to get your hands on the game, here is a VERY early build.

It has a few bugs, like the ability to jump once and once only, but I was hoping I could get some feedback about performance.

Here is a link to download the 'demo': https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5W6sQu8WpGtdU5FUThGZXZnUHc/edit?usp=sharing

Just unrar it, and run the .html file, it should open in your browser. You will have to install the Unity web player.

Edited by PenutReaper

I wouldn't get to excited, like I said it is extremely early. The only thing you can really do is move left and right, jump once and listen to the music.

I'm planning to add in some animations and UI in as the next stage. That build only exists because I have no idea how well an online version of TLS would run.