Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 30.5: Yareli & Kompressa Feedback Megathread (Read First Post!)

[DE]CoreyOnline

41 minutes ago, Kaiune said:

The only way modding on Merulina would be good would be if they added more combat kdrive mods. Which at this point unless Tenno con shows something crazy why would one want to invest more in kdrives outside Yareli

I mean, I think new WF Creator Ricky Summer said it best, in his latest vid - "I like having fun"
All I ever see on these forums are complaints about things being sub-optimal, or not good for quick farming, etc etc... but where are the people asking to be able to do more parkour moves? Before Yareli came out, where were the people asking for looser IK on the boards so that you could take corners smoother or not get stuck on ground obstacles? Where are the requests for guns with wacky effects beyond 'decrease hp bars faster than all the other ones'?
Because I'll tell ya something, dude - kdrives are fun, in the right environment. Yeah it's bloody useless in combat, and no it won't decrease my time to mission completion, but I don't think it's wrong to go 'hey, can we make this fun thing better to play with so that I can be awesome and complete the mission at the same time? Because that'd be pretty dope'.

So I was playing around with our girl Yareli, and had a thought occur to me. It kind of bugs me that there's no real benefit to her "signature" weapon for her. And she suffers from a decided lack of synergy for her abilities. One quick thought I had was this: whenever an enemy is being affected by Sea Snares or Riptide, and simultaneously takes damage from Kompressa, that damage is immediately treated as critical (subject to her passive bonus.) It would only affect Kompressa when in the hands of Yareli, and only when an enemy is damaged by that particular warframe's abilities (so a group of Yareli...Yarelis? Yarilae?) couldn't just "stack" each others' damage.

This would put a tidy little bow on both lack of real purpose for her signature sidearm, as well as provide some cohesiveness to her abilities. They wouldn't have to change the numbers on Kompressa because it would only impact Yareli. To everyone else, it would still be a stat-based weapon. Only in her hands and only when mobs are under the influence of her abilities would this benefit kick in. Essentially her abilities would prime her signature weapon for increased damage.

Thoughts?

As I've seen a few other people say already, but I think Yareli's passive ability isn't really any good for her signature weapon, I know I could just use a different secondary but I really liked how the signature weapons always seemed to synergise with the warframe it was made for, like the Acceletra reloading faster while moving faster, and even faster still when used by Gauss. Not that I want the Kompressa nor Yareli's passive changing, as I love the way both of them work individually, although I think the instant cut off on the passive ability could work better if there was either a decay or a grace period like how combo works.

But maybe adding an augment for Yareli's passive that changes it to status chance, or maybe just making the passive give both status and critical chance instead.

I'm not sure how or if these would affect the use of Yareli and the Kompressa though, but I kinda wanted to put forward my ideas on it, and thank you for the fun game.

My feedback on Yareli's Merulina in particular:
1) It really should have some programming in there to allow you to smoothly and easily sail through indoor levels without stopping on everything possible. Something like magnetism away from collision objects would be very welcome. Magnetism to help you sail through a doorway instead of smacking against the doorframe. Magnetism to gently swing you around the box in the middle of the room instead of stopping when you barely touch the edge of the object. Magnetism to help you go smoothly up the staircase instead of stopping because you touched the handrail. If the magnetism is too strong, such that it acts kinda like auto-path-finding for the board, then it would feel more like a rail shooter game, which might not be entirely bad, as it would give smooth travel through tiles, but that would lack the freedom people want. If the magnetism is too weak, then Merulina would still hit things. But regardless of how it's done (and I really do think a smoothing algorithm to let merulina go smoothly around objects and over objects is the smartest choice), I think Merulina really would feel SO much better if it helped you sail through tiles smoothly. On that note...
2) If you're going fast on Merulina, you can regularly bonk against doors, which can't open fast enough for her (despite them opening fast enough for Gauss most of the time). I'm not sure why doors react slowly to Merulina, but the result is that even if you're really skilled at using Merulina and avoiding obstacles, you still can't smoothly sail through tiles, as you'll bonk your face on the door when it fails to open quickly enough for you to sail through it. For the purposes of this, we're ignoring the effects of ping and assuming this is in solo, to remove the negative influence of latency on doors opening. The issue of ping is best solved by making door opening handled client-side, that way the player doesn't have to wait for the door to open on the host's end.
3) To differentiate Merulina from run-of-the-mill k-drives, I think primary weapons should be allowed for use while on Merulina.
4) Primed Sure Footed (or Sure Footed + Power Drift + Fortitude) really should keep you from knocking yourself off Merulina with your own explosive weapons. This slows gameplay too much to be acceptable.
5) I'm not sure that a crit chance multiplier is the right approach for her passive buff. 200% is great, but only for select weapons. I think an addition to the base crit chance, or a flat set base crit chance, would allow players to use more secondaries that normally wouldn't be crit-viable. The current buff strongly encourages crit-centric weapons. Simultaneously, the difficulty of using Merulina and still getting hits strongly encourages the use of AoE secondaries. The combination of AoE + high base crit chance leaves players with few options that fit both criteria. So, to solve this, I propose one of two options: A flat increase to base crit chance with a secondary while moving. So if a secondary has a 20% base crit chance, a +30% buff puts it at 50% base crit chance, with mods applied afterwards. This would allow weapons with a low base crit chance, like the Pox at 1%, to be useful with a now 31% base crit chance. Unfortunately, that puts something like the Epitaph at an unreasonable 78% base crit chance. Alternatively, and I think this is an interesting idea with many benefits, the buff could set the base crit chance of the secondary, when the conditions are met, to a given value. So if the number DE chooses is 50%, then the Epitaph that meets the criteria would go from 48% crit chance to 50% crit chance. Alternatively, the aforementioned 1% crit chance of the Pox would become a flat 50% base crit chance during the duration that it meets the conditions(s). This allows a larger variety of secondaries to be crit-viable, rather than just doubling down on further popularizing the most crit-heavy secondaries that are already disproportionately popular. Not only that, it allows ALL secondaries to benefit from Yareli's passive in a meaningful way. As a side thought, the buff could offer both crit chance and status chance buffs, to appeal to a larger variety of secondaries. Additionally, I love the above proposed idea that as you move, the buff builds up, and when you stop moving, it decays. That system would significantly ease my stress of forcing myself to keep moving, wondering if stopping for a microsecond to change directions is considered stopped, and generally not finding the current system to be fun and engaging. A growth and decay system for the buff would solve a lot of this anxiety while naturally encouraging the player to keep moving.
6) Merulina absolutely should be moddable, like an exalted weapon. I'd lean heavily toward it using Warframe-type mods, as that enables the use of health mods, sprint speed mods, etc. It using k-drive mods instead is probably pretty obvious, but that comes with a ton of limitations, such as not having any health mods, having far fewer mods in general, and the lack of options that Warframe-type mods get. There aren't many k-drive mods that I would want to put on Merulina, in contrast to a bunch of Warframe-type mods that I yearn to put on Merulina.
7) I desire to put appearance attachments on Merulina, for peak fashion frame. Syndanas are a clear choice, in my mind. Putting a syndana (the same ones Warframes get) on the rear of Merulina to flail in the wind would be great. Make it so that Warframe shoulder-type and leg-type attachments can be put on the outside edges of Merulina. I want Dex Raksaka Shoulder Guards on the side of my Merulina, flailing in the wind. Chest-type attachments could go on the front leading edge of Merulina. Merulina should also be able to equip an ephemera, separate from Yareli's ephemera.

I'll let other players provide feedback on Yareli's other abilities. I'm sure they have great ideas for how to make her other abilities more potent. My focus was on making Merulina more fun, less frustrating, and to better enable fun gameplay while riding Merulina.
Like with Grendel's Pulverize, Merulina has a lot of potential to be a ton of fun, even if it's not powerful or part of the meta. And fun is my goal. And like how Catapult unlocked that fun with Pulverize, some changes to Merulina could make Merulina as fun as it should be. I think path smoothing to auto-avoid collisions should be a huge part of that.

5 hours ago, Kaiune said:

Only quoting this cause it was the most recent. After taking a closer look at the K drive mods This would be 100% un necessary as the combat mods just wont do enough to help and can all be baked in to the skill as the only mods one would want to use on this all fit so every one would have the same build. Which would make us all grind vent kid rep for not much benefit. 

The only way modding on Merulina would be good would be if they added more combat kdrive mods. Which at this point unless Tenno con shows something crazy why would one want to invest more in kdrives outside Yareli 

I honestly dont even want it for the combat mods, like a shock proc is only so useful. I just want more personal control over how my merulina moves. Such as falling gravity mods, ability to remove double jump, ability to mod for base speed and boost speed seperately to give her better handling.

I completely understand pre baking merulina with some kdrive mod effects like the double jump but id honestly much prefer modding mine with all initial jump and gravity mods without the 2nd jump as theres far more control over the initial launch.

I didn't use the gun very much so i won't talk about it.

About Yareli:

Passive is OK, not great, not bad, given that she really needs a sort of boost when using 2.

1- I like it very much, it works well as cc increasing her survival, and the damage seens to be apropriate, not very high, but can kill low lvl enemies. 

2- Here things get complicated, the damage reductions is too smal, and we can't upgrade it. The board in it self is as cluncky as any board, i think DE thought it would offer variaty, but mobillity is very important in this game, and using the board is nightmere, you get stuck all the time (unless you are really a pro at K-drives).

3- Why use it? It is hard to hit enemies with it, not very strong, doesn't have great range, the only good side is that it will CC enemies shortly, this skill is a barb wire in nut shell.

4- Not bad, not good, damage is not very great, the CC is reasonable, but i would reather just use 1. It is not bad, its is just not a "ulti" skill.

If we use 2 and span 1, we can play her. But DE, you didn't give us a DPS, TANK, CC, STEALTH or SPEED frame, she can't do any of this roles, on top of that she can't really use melees without loosing her identity. I guess she would be beste use as a CC, but even so she would strugle at higher lvls. IMO a simple solution, is to increase her damage reduction to 90% (like Nezha's), re-do the 3th skill, and amplify the 4h skill base range and duration. The aim would be for her to get abit more o tankness, and CC. Actually her 3 could be a skill that make her melee fly around her, dealing the melees equiped as base damage. (it is just an idea)

My thoughts after having maxed out and further used both Yareli and the Kompressa:

• The Kompressa has absolutely no synergy with Yareli. Besides the apparent lack of a passive when equipped by her, the weapon's exceptionally weak crit stats work poorly with the frame's crit chance multiplier.
  • Sea Snares are probably Yareli's best ability, but clash somewhat with the rest of her kit given that Merulina expects the frame to move around a lot, while her 1 is largely defensive.
  • Merulina in its current state does not feel good to use in indoor missions: K-Drives weren't designed for indoor mobility, and it shows, meaning that equipping Merulina tends to feel like a net downgrade in mobility due to how clunky and floaty its movement feels. The 75% damage reduction does not match similar damage reduction effects on other frames, which go to 90%, and as a result the ability feels inadequate at providing extra durability in higher-level missions. In general, this ability imposes way too many downsides and limitations for too little a payoff, particularly as Merulina isn't even moddable like regular K-Drives.
  • Even after their buff, Aquablades continue to be mediocre, as their only real function is damage, and that damage does not scale. When I saw this ability in pre-release streams, I thought this would be a fun button to press for a burst of close-ranged damage, which would do a good job of hitting enemies set up by her Sea Snares. Instead, the end product was a persistent damage aura that strangely has no range scaling, which I find to be a lot less interesting. As it stands, the ability is not worth the risk of getting up close, especially not on a K-Drive from which Yareli can be forcibly dismounted.
  • In addition to also having mediocre, non-scaling damage, Riptide does not seem to contribute anything to Yareli's kit: there's no particular synergy with any of her abilities, and the lengthy casting time means she's better off using weapons if she wants to kill enemies.

I wanted to believe in Yareli, but so far she has done nothing but disappoint. The core idea of having her use K-Drive movement in indoor missions I think is fundamentally a mistake, and the rest of her kit feels like an afterthought. Beyond that, her main current problem is that she still feels severely underbaked, and would likely feel a lot better to play if she received some meaningful tweaks and polish.

My suggestions on how to improve Yareli:

• Give the Kompressa some additive crit chance when wielded by Yareli, so that it may synergize with her passive. The weapon is middling enough that this should likely not make it overwhelming.
  • Give Sea Snares a hold-cast function where Yareli makes her snares orbit and follow her while she moves around, so that she may catch enemies by getting close to them.
  • Buff Merulina significantly:
    • Increase its damage reduction to 90%, or allow the damage reduction to be modded to that amount.
    • Allow Merulina to regenerate health while mounted. For example, scoring tricks could heal Merulina based on their score.
    • Allow Merulina to be modded separately like a regular K-Drive.
  • Either make Aquablades' damage scale with enemy level or max health+shields, or give it some utility, e.g. an armor strip. As a rule of thumb, if the sole function of an ability is to deal damage, that damage should scale in some form. I would also personally reduce the duration significantly, buff the damage proportionately, and allow Ability Range to affect the width of the blades if not the ability's radius, so that the ability scales off of every stat and would be used to catch snared enemies, instead of being deployed as a much less interesting, fire-and-forget damage aura.
  • As with Aquablades, make Riptide's damage scale in some form, and change it so that it synergizes and enhances the rest of Yareli's kit. An example off the top of my head:
    • Change the ability's cast mechanism: on cast, enemies in a radius are dragged, then trapped in a water bubble while the ability is held, draining Energy over time. On release, everyone within the water bubble (including Yareli and allies) is launched towards the player's aiming reticle, dealing radial damage to enemies on impact.

TL;DR: Yareli needs her kit to scale, synergize better with itself, and just generally do its job better. With the above, she would likely feel more fun and functional, especially at higher levels.

8 hours ago, Kaiune said:

Only quoting this cause it was the most recent. After taking a closer look at the K drive mods This would be 100% un necessary as the combat mods just wont do enough to help and can all be baked in to the skill as the only mods one would want to use on this all fit so every one would have the same build. Which would make us all grind vent kid rep for not much benefit. 

No, K-Drive modding for Merulina is far from unnecessary, quite the opposite. That way you could customize how high you want the currently stupid high double jump to be, not to mention higher/lower speed, normal jump height, jump charge time among other things. For example, with the double jump height, you'd nerf the current default to on par with regular K-drives then use the mod of preferred rank to get the height you want. That's a better way to go about things than force everyone to bonk their head whenever they hit spacebar in the air.

Thank you for fixing enemy radar and prime sure footed issues on yarelis merulina. 

2 things I'd love to see happen for gorgeous yareli:

1. Allow subsume abilities to be used while on merulina for a smoother and speedier yareli experience. This will possibly make people enjoy yareli more and perhaps even enjoy kdrive more, who knows. 

2. Exalted Merulina, so i can burn some forma on her own personal k drive and use it in k drive races please. That would be incredibly fun. 

Appreciate what you guys do, thank you for giving us a platform to communicate with you. Peace! Good luck for tennocon! <3

First off, let me just say that I really like Yareli and her abilities, the only thing I have a gripe with is the lack of synergy (and that Merulina isn't an exalted K-drive), so let me off some ideas that not only could make her abilities synergize better but potentially even alter the Helminth landscape slightly. 

1. Sea Snares and Riptide don't just do cold damage but can also proc the cold status effect. This would make her a bit more of a crowd control frame while also making my next suggestion work. 
  2. Aquablades does increased damage to enemies that are afflicted by the cold status effect. This not only makes it that the blades synergize with Sea Snares and Riptide, but also means it can synergize with subsumed abilities that proc the cold status, which could make people interested in trying out this abilities (like Thermal Sunder) on Yareli but also makes Aquablades more appealing on frames that have abilities that create cold status procs. It would also make weapons that deal the cold status a bit more powerful/useful. 

Aside from that, the only other thing that I think would make Yareli truly better would be making Merulina into an exalted k-drive. Sure you could allow ranged mods to increase Aquablades range, however I actually feel like doing so would actually do more harm to the ability then people actually believe (after all the blades deal damage to enemies that touch the blades, not enemies within a radius determined by the blades. 

So there's my penny for my time. 

Have a good day. 

merulina is basically just a kdrive turned into an ability so not being able to use kdrive mods on it just plain makes no sense and is probably the worst part of the whole ability. other problems are harsh turning radius, not being able to use one handed or upper body subsumed abilities, and not ragdolling enemies on collision like gauss.

as for yareli herself, another case of a frame with elemental abilities that can't proc status effects, but in any case probably won't be using her much anyways.

The primed sure footed fix was not the change I was hoping for. Not getting knocked off Merulina should be baseline, not a mod. I already said it, but Yareli already needs too many mods already just to make her a passable frame without adding yet another necessary mod for her, let alone one that you can't get unless you've logged in for a minimum of 400 days.

45 minutes ago, Perisie said:

The primed sure footed fix was not the change I was hoping for. Not getting knocked off Merulina should be baseline, not a mod. I already said it, but Yareli already needs too many mods already just to make her a passable frame without adding yet another necessary mod for her, let alone one that you can't get unless you've logged in for a minimum of 400 days.

100% agreed on every part of this

After a few days testing Yarelli I concur that she is quite underwhelming but in the interest of giving helpful and constructive feedback here are a few suggestions:
- 1 and 4 inflict cold proc as well
- passive gets a grace period of 1.5 seconds that holds the buff after stopping
- doing maneuvers on her 2 reloads 5% of secondary weapon magazine
- 1 seeks other targets if current captures targets dies before duration expires
- 3 can be recast to launch blades either forward or in a cone which gets affected by range
- 2 shares the mods of equipped kdrive or gets modable
- melee for exiting the 2 gets a bonus dmg
- once dismounted 2 behaves akin to sevagoth 1 for a few seconds
- 2 leaves a turbulence trail behind that buffs allies mov speed and cleanses their negative status and inflicts cold proc on enemies
- 4 no longer launches enemies all over, lasts longer and can "absorb" blades from 3 recast to add dmg and slash

Well, I hope some of these or other players suggestions gets used. I keep hopes that Yarelli will be like Xaku, very underwhelming on launch but then becoming a genuinely good viable frame.

Ok after a while on testing Yareli, this is my op on her.

Overall, Her kit is quite interesting and fun to play with I quite fun on playing her. But i found that her kit end up full of lack of "Power" It's not just about damage but also it's no contain any special effect on them.

1.SEA SNARES - I know most ppl are feel this skill is far too weak cc and not good, but for my op. This skill is best on Yareli's kit. It's was cc that can deal some damage. Imo this kit is good enough for 1st skill energy value. But what i may ask is to increase speed of bubble, it's far too slow to catch enemy around even it's homing is very nice but it's take several second until it's can hit enemy.

2. MERULINA - The bad point of this skill is very clear. K-drive is not good to use inside building. Most of area is too narrow and too many obstacle around. Yareli need this skill to get extra HP and damage reduction. But it's end up we keep stuck everywhere inside normal mission. The core idea to make own K-drive is good. but it's seem you already forget why you not allow K-drive to use indoor. The fact is I never good on K-drive. It's hard to control enough in open world, no need to mention indoor zone. But we can't avoid to use it, since it's give Yareli Def kit. At least please make "Prime sure foot" prevent her got knock down her Merulina. this will make me more comfort to use this skill indoor.

3.AQUABLADES and RIPTIDE - This is the one of weakest 3rd skill so far, unless you combine it with "viral". Skill itself  can kill just low level enemy. It's got no profits form Range, it's weak even after buff. and the worst point that i feel form this skill and 4 skill is it's just deal plain damage on that type. that all, no buff, no debuff, no special effect just slash proc. it's only good when we use it together with Melee, or we need viral proc on 2ndary weapons to combo. But in the end just that, only damage. Same to Riptide, It's may feel like Zephar's tornado, but it really worst. Since you use it, it's freeze Yareli on the action until skill done. This mean it's no use to combo to anything so far, I try to combo this skill to weapon, other skill. nothing really sync with Riptide. And since Riptide itself just draw in and damage. so it just that. 2 of Yareli skill is just plain damage. It's can't synergy to other of herself skill, it's not give buff, debuff to profit her more than damage. But it's damage also not that good. skill 3 relay on other source of damage to get average damage, skill 4 relay on Tons of enemy around to boost up damage. That why this 2 skill is become weak point on Yareli kit for now.

6 hours ago, Perisie said:

5 hours ago, Roamingwhirlwind said:

100% agreed on every part of this

I checked this in-game, and (I don't know if this is intentional or not) but as of the latest patch Merulina is resistant to knockdowns even without Primed Sure Footed i.e. it is now immune to Heavy Gunners, Arson Eximus, and all knockdown effects that I've checked. So I assume their original intention was to just make players use Primed Sure Footed, but then they changed it last minute to make it default? I really hope it's intentional and that they just forgot to change it in the patch notes.

36 minutes ago, (XBOX)ActualGeist said:

I checked this in-game, and (I don't know if this is intentional or not) but as of the latest patch Merulina is resistant to knockdowns even without Primed Sure Footed i.e. it is now immune to Heavy Gunners, Arson Eximus, and all knockdown effects that I've checked. So I assume their original intention was to just make players use Primed Sure Footed, but then they changed it last minute to make it default? I really hope it's intentional and that they just forgot to change it in the patch notes.

Interesting. I haven't been able to play any missions today due to being busy with watching Tennocon while doing other stuff also but I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

I just have one suggestion for something I'd like to have added to Yareli's kit. That is for Riptide to pull in all the enemies that are being effected by Sea Snares. It'd give her some good synergy to her 1st and 4th abilities and would make Riptide a lot more viable (especially since it has a long punishing full body animation).

Otherwise, I think Sea Snares needs some changes made to it's pathfinding and enemy targeting. The globs shouldn't latch onto the same targets and they need to be a lot better at getting around obstacles to get to their targets. That or it should just be changed to either an aoe effect or perhaps it could have it's damage removed and just allow the blobs to spread when an enemy that is under it's effects is either damaged or killed (which would make it really nice for riptide if it could pull in the enemies affected by Sea Snares).

Merulina is probably about as good as it's going to get (just having a k-drive in a regular mission is a bit clunky and limiting to movement and your use of your generally much better weapons). Though, If you wanted to add in an option so that made it so you had to hold down the ability button to summon Merulina instead so you could also add a tap to surf forward a little ways then that'd probably be a great addition to the ability to give you some nice movement without limiting your options so much.

Those are really the only issues/ ideas I have to make her work a lot better.

Having dabbled with Yareli....honestly her biggest drawback is Merulina. Making her Survival power limit her to her secondary which...sure gets 200% more crit chance but...IMO that's not enough, for me anyway. Also Merulina is very very akward to use on smaller tilesets. It's so fast and just...clunky to use. My solution to fix this? Make Merulina a summonable companion(or just a companion that's kinda...always near her, like Venari) and have it provide the damage reduction *without* riding it, and if you want...you can ride it. Also, Make Merulina able to be modded like a k-drive.

Her power 1 works great, Aqua blades could use...something, it feels like it's her primary damage dealing power but unlike her other 2 damage powers(Her 1 and 4) it doesn't scale or ramp up over time. Also, the issue of "Enemies too close to Yareli don't get hit by Aqua Blades". Solutions, make aqua blades affected by power range, or make it so enemies within that are get debuffed(Take more damage in general, strip armor/shields, make them do less damage to Yareli). The latter idea would be easier to implement as it would simply be "enemies hit by Aqua Blades get X debuff"

And her 4...I mean it does more damage based on the enemies pulled in...I have something of an otherworldly idea, as Yareli has to stop to cast it, how about during the casting animation Riptide moves to where she is looking? Another idea I had is enemies within X range of Yareli and in Sea Snare's are teleported into Riptide. 

Side note, as i'm sure it's been mentioned/reported, the sea snares don't seem to attack enemies that are above or below them.

I've had Yareli for a few days now, forma'd her once (probably not any more because I'd need 2 forma more at minimum to fit any of the mods I'd like to on her and at that point I'd really rather just potato her lol). These are my impressions. They're generally positive, which is why a large proportion of the following text is negative (obviously).

Observations/Comments:
Yareli's passive can be gamed a bit; it doesn't care if you're actually moving as long as you're holding a movement key, and there's a very brief grace period after releasing a movement key, so you can maintain it by just tapping a key rapidly without gaining any speed or by just walking backwards into a wall.
Merulina expands Yareli's effective HP greatly, setting it to the lower of [Yareli's EHP] + [Merulina's HP] and [Yareli's HP] * 4. It also protects from harmful DoT effects. Because of this, I usually only need Fast Deflection for survivability even at endgame levels, since it means a max-rank Yareli usually has an effective maximum shield of 1800 (2400 counting the global damage resistance), which is on par with Hildryn!
You gain a period of full invulnerability when dismounting Merulina manually, which seems to be more than enough to re-mount her or run for cover. I was initially frustrated by Merulina's apparent weakness to Arson Eximi, but I think dismounting her manually to evade the wave then re-mounting her is reasonable counterplay if a bit of an energy sink and also somewhat clunky. Alternatively, you can just give her mods to resist knockdown because it's not like there's much else that she cares about (more on that later).
Merulina's physics might need some work. As I noted before, she needs a fair amount of space to maneuver, especially because of her large collision box, and she is quite unforgiving to work with; colliding with an obstacle even obliquely costs quite a lot of speed. She interacts strangely with some objects, especially when grinding, but this is probably to be expected when interacting with 8-year-old map geometry in a way that it could not possibly have been designed for (I seriously doubt when you were designing the Orokin Void ages ago that the possibilty of players someday grinding on the guardrails with a hoverboard even crossed anyone's mind).
I don't find Merulina faster than walking; if anything it takes me longer to move through missions with her because of how much time I waste crashing into things, or moving very slowly so as to avoid crashing into things. Some part of this is absolutely just lack of practice, since Merulina controls almost completely differently from a Warframe, but I suspect that even if maneuvered perfectly she will struggle to keep up with pedestrians in cluttered environments, which is inconvenient since Yareli needs to be on her for survival.
Merulina cannot be nullified when active. While I personally embrace this new age of abilities that just straight-up ignore the most obnoxious enemy mechanic in the entire game (Sevagoth's Shadow similarly is unfazed by entering nullie bubbles), I question if this is intentional.
Aquablades's damage holds up much better than I initially assumed it would, but it does seem to drop off a bit at about level 70ish. Fortunately, that is also about the range at which keeping enemies continuously stunlocked becomes very very useful, and since it requires little to no commitment after being activated it's still a nice enough source of extra damage.
Riptide is of seriously questionable value. Even with 10 enemies captured, its base DPS (~15k damage for a 2-second long animation which cannot be sped up) is not appreciably higher than that of a given weapon (especially given Yareli's passive), nor can it apply helpful status effects, although it does have the benefit of a fairly-large AoE. It is hampered severely by a fairly-strict LoS check that makes capturing large numbers of enemies quite unreliable. To be clear, it ABSOLUTELY SHOULD have an LoS check given how spammable it is and how wide it can potentially reach, but either the check needs to be loosened slightly or the ability's numbers/functionality need to be rebalanced to account for the reality of using it. Sucking up enemies with it is inherently fun but I usually don't feel like the ability helps much when I use it. It does mediocre damage, isn't great for gathering foes because of how it scatters them around wildly, and usually doesn't knock down enemies for long enough to turn around a bad situation.
I find that Yareli's energy consumption is nicely low-maintenance; I'm a shameless ability spammer who runs Fleeting Expertise, Zenurik Focus, and Energy Siphon on literally everything, because I like to just mash out the pretty ninja magic and not worry about the game's annoying energy system, but I feel comfortable running Corrosive Projection instead on Yareli and will probably try swapping to Madurai for a bit more oomph once I've ranked it more. Sea Snares is cheap to cast, Merulina is cheap AND lasts practically forever, and Aquablades has a very long duration. Riptide is quite expensive, but it costs nothing if I never use it in the first place *taps forehead*
Sea Snares can take a while to actually reach enemies even at the base range, making it less reliable for CC since enemies can often fire several shots at you in the time it takes to connect. I suspect this would be much less glaring if Riptide was more readily useful as a panic button to quickly kill/disable large swathes of enemies.
Directly following off of the above: modding Yareli for Range is fairly pointless at the moment, because its benefit to Sea Snares is of dubious value, Merulina and Aquablades don't care about range at all, and Riptide which seems to be intended as the main beneficiary of range is very underwhelming as a whole.
Yareli is the first Warframe since, I believe, Baruuk to not have any way to natively debuff enemy defenses (since Revenant if you count Baruuk technically being able to apply status procs with Desert Wind) (note: my grasp of frame release dates pre-2019 is not precise at all). Sevagoth curses with a damage multiplier, Lavos scatters puddles of any status of his choosing across the map, Xaku strips armour, Protea deals Heat procs, Grendel digests armour, Gauss deals Heat and can directly strip armour, Wisp deals Heat and Corrosive procs, Hildryn strips both armour and shields. I actually think this is a GOOD thing since every single frame having the same basic MO for dealing with Warframe's ludicrous armour scaling is stale, but it may provide insight as to why her damage abilities feel so lackluster -- she's climbing the same mountain with fewer tools.
When playing Yareli, I typically have Aquablades up as much as possible for supplemental damage and defense, and similarly am on Merulina as much as is absolutely practical simply for the massive EHP buffer. I use Sea Snares to lock down out crowds of dangerous enemies, or to pick off trash so I don't have to bother aiming at them. If I see a big group of enemies, I sometimes instinctively hit Riptide just because it's an inherently fun ability, but I'm usually underwhelmed with the actual results. I don't generally have much trouble staying alive but large swarms of enemies can be dangerous due to how Yareli relies on guns and especially headshots to deal damage effectively.

Things I like:
I cannot stress this enough: Yareli can shred across Grineer ships like an adorable Tony Hawk. That is F***ing AWESOME. I would be willing to put up with much, much worse design just for that.
Yareli's passive is very fun. It's motivated me to look deeper into secondary weapons when I'd mostly just ignored them before, and I like being rewarded for moving around in a game about parkour space ninjas (imagine). It's just an inherently good idea.
I say this every time, but: Yareli looks amazing, and sounds amazing. I love Merulina's little coos, I love the water effects, I love her animations, I love how unique and beautiful Yareli looks and all the little details in her design, like the subtle heart shapes in her veil. The artist who created her initial artwork and the animators, modellers, etc. who brought their drawing to life ingame ought to feel very, very proud. I really cannot praise this game's art and sound team enough.
Sea Snares feels nice to use. I'm probably biased because of the pretty water bubble effects, but I like scattering the bubbles around while riding Merulina. They're cheap and fast to cast, and their homing makes them very convenient for picking off weak enemies. It's satisfying to let out a salvo of bubbles rapid-fire to disable a crowd of dangerous enemies, and the way the enemies float upwards sets up headshots which dovetails well with Yareli's passive.
Merulina is very fun to ride around on even if she's dubiously-practical as transportation in normal missions.
Aquablades's low range encourages you to move around to hit enemies with it, and its ability to continuously stunlock all nearby enemies complements Sea Snares's ability to disable foes at range; meanwhile, enemies opened up with Sea Snares are easy pickings to approach and buzzsaw while popping headshots. The damage isn't too shabby, especially because it leaves you free to apply Viral procs with your weapons. It's also quite convenient to saw through weak enemies quickly while riding Merulina.
Riptide, as much as I criticise it functionally, is hypnotically beautiful to watch, which is probably why I keep using it despite it being bad. The swirling mist effects, water currents, and shiny glowies are a treat to look at, and it really makes me wish the ability was better.
I like the kinetic sort of gameplay that Yareli creates; I'm constantly moving around, to empower my guns, scatter bubble traps, or mow down foes with my spinny saws. Merulina, on paper, facilitates this, although in practice I'm not sure if she actually helps me move faster (she feels like she does at least, though my mission clear times beg to differ).
Merulina lead me to accidentally discover a hidden room in the Void that I wasn't aware of after 2k+ hours, by accidentally sliding into a small hole I normally wouldn't have noticed or entered. It's not much, but it made me smile.

Things I don't like:
Riptide is a massive functional hole in Yareli's design. I feel little motivation to mod for range, and it leaves blind spots in her gameplan; very large numbers of enemies spread out widely can be dangerous for her, because Sea Snares have travel time and a limited count per cast, Aquablades has a limited range, and her passive mostly enhances linear DPS depending on what gun you have equipped. Normally, you would use Riptide in these situations to gather the enemies into one spot while dealing large amounts of damage and disabling them, but you just don't get enough effect for the casting cost and it usually just feels like a waste of energy, and oftentimes minor obstructions (even just uneven elevation) can completely stop enemies from being hit.
Merulina is very unresponsive to modding! The ability itself only cares about efficiency and strength, and at that strength only increases her HP (which is already very high). Personalising my gear is a large part of what makes Warframe fun for me and it's sad that the centerpiece of Yareli's gameplay is so limited on that front. The fact that Riptide doesn't seem to be worth modding for makes Merulina barely being moddable at all even more glaring.
Aquablades is also fairly boring to mod, but I suspect this may be more of a problem because of Merulina being almost entirely unmoddable and Riptide being AWOL, thus directing the entirety of the motivation for modding onto just two abilities. It being entirely flat damage certainly doesn't make it more interesting but I don't think it's an inherent problem with Aquablades itself, just the environment that it's in putting more pressure on it than it's supposed to bear.
Overall, although Yareli has a lot of fun stuff going on and is IMO not weak in the slightest, she's not that interesting to build. Merulina, which you should be riding at all times if you enjoy not dying, ignores any mobility mods you may put on Yareli, ability range does almost nothing of note (extends the bubble homing radius which is quite far enough to begin with, and extends the area her worst ability would cover if it weren't blocked by small rocks and/or discarded candy wrappers), she doesn't really need any more shields than her base amount (in my opinion), health or armour isn't super relevant to her at all, and strength mostly just increases her ability damage which while certainly something isn't really her main source of damage anyways (the main source being the massive crit buff she gives to secondaries, which does not scale with ability mods at all).
Aquablades has small dead zone between them and Yareli where the blades don't hit. It's not super bad but it's mildly annoying, especially since the staggered enemies sometimes fall into it by sheer chance.

Things I want:
Fix Riptide. If this is literally the only thing that's done I'd be happy. Not exaggerating, it'd probably need to do at least twice the damage it currently does to be remotely worthwhile, either as a direct buff to the base damage or to the scaling factor. Adding some kind of better CC effect to it (cold proc? idk lol) would also be an option, or adding a defense debuff in somewhere I GUESS. I'd also like the LoS check to be a tiny bit more lenient since right now it has Fire Blast syndrome where it seems very prone to being blocked by nonsensical things, like an enemy being slightly behind the crest of a slope.
Make Merulina more responsive to modding. I'm not sure how I'd like it to be done. Attaching K-Drive mods onto her is certainly an idea (it's weird that we can't!).
Maybe tweak Merulina's physics to be more maneuverable? It'd probably be a good idea to let players get used to her before committing to anything but I do suspect she'll need some help to be useful transportation in standard missions.
I don't think Sea Snares or Aquablades NEED buffs per se but I wouldn't cry foul if they got another boost. Sea Snares's damage in particular drops off hard.
Maybe make Critical Flow a bit stricter about when it considers you to be "moving". Walking backwards into a wall goes against the spirit of the passive, and repeatedly tapping a direction to juuuuuust barely satisfy the reqs is actively annoying and IMO should not be incentivised.

Things I don't want:
Please don't make Aquablades scale significantly with range, if at all. While I'd be fine with the blades having a larger contact area to make them easier to hit with (in particular eliminating that awful dead zone between her and the blades), I'm concerned that if the range could be extended too far it'd lower the incentive to move around to hit things with them which would be directly counter to Yareli's main concept of making the player want to move around (tbf though, the current range is so tiny that I'm not sure if even max range would be particularly cancerous to her gameplay).
Please don't remove LoS from Riptide entirely. Its base range is dangerously close to the range required to cover the entire radius of Hydron when maximised (>14m); removing LoS would create another ability that you press over and over mindlessly to wipe rooms which is, in my humble opinion, boring. It's good that the ability makes you consider terrain and is limited to enemies in clear cover, I just think it goes a bit too hard to the detriment of usability.

Besides Riptide I'd actually say Yareli is okay, although I think too much of her power may be in things like her passive which aren't moddable.

3 hours ago, MrFrog9 said:

Please don't make Aquablades scale significantly with range, if at all.

I'm going to offer a counterargument here...

I think Aquablades should scale with range, because they currently have no applicability and no output, and the balance of those two is what determines an ability's worth, in general terms. As it stands, Aquablades' applicability is so abysmal (Especially since one melee weapon slap is probably going to cover a larger area for far more damage) that the only way you can make this ability worth considering is if it could exceed any weaponfire for DPS. It'd have to be able to grind down Sortie Lephantis in seconds, basically.

I really think it could be way better for Aquablades to take a leaf out of Aurelion Sol's book, from League of Legends. Range should affect it, but it should only affect the projected range of the ring, not the width of the ring. It should hit enemies at a greater distance, while still adhering to the rule of 'only hits in the exact ring'. That would make it difficult to use, but not abjectly pointless as it can exceed the range of 'pressing E'. 

This should still be coupled with a better output value to reward players for how difficult the ability would be to use, but if the ability did X% more damage per enemy hit, scaling exponentially, I think you could have an amazingly fun ability that isn't overbearing in the slightest.

Archived