Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 30.5: Yareli & Kompressa Feedback Megathread (Read First Post!)

[DE]CoreyOnline

Yareli first thoughts, I want to like her skills, but I don't.

Briefly put, she feels like she wants to be a fast frame, but mechanically has to take her time.

Sea Snares - Her first skill is an AoE CC with a fantastic DoT. That said, it doesn't measure up after a certain point against enemies. Something is off. The tracking and range feels fantastic, but more often I'm just killing those enemies with my gun before the bubbles hit. Not sure how to fix this problem, it's happening with basic guns even on low enemies, so there is something there, but I can't put my finger on what. The animations are smooth, but I worry that they're a lost element when enemies die too quick. I tenatively would say maybe a spread mechanic where bubbles propagate more bubbles as they pop from enemy collision? (Smaller and smaller bubbles until they can't?)

Aquablades - Her third ability. This ability is fantastic and outwardly amazing. And yet I don't want to use it. The way this ability works is it creates a ring around Yareli. She then to apply it, has to go close and remain close. Again, the guns thing. I don't feel a drive to close to enemies with Yareli. This encourages it, but it doesn't reward it more than staying away from them does. It's probably great with her passive's crit and the slashing proc, but I'm not sure the best way to use it. BIG NOTE: When I'm on Merulina, I'm moving too fast to stay in range for this to be an option.

Riptide - Again, an ability that feels like it should be better. It's hard to tell what's going on, it locks Yareli in place to cast it and thereby breaks the "flow" and motion of her kit. When on Merulina, you don't have that stop-to-cast thing going on. Something about that interaction feels good, getting a small benefit from being on Merulina. However, I would say allowing Yareli to just remain in motion during her casts would be a big improvement. About the ability itself, it feels strong, but weak. I can't help but compare this to Vauban's Vortex while also comparing her Sea Snares to his Bastille. The damage is good, the range is weird. The biggest hiccup I find however is where it casts. I point my reticule where I want it to go and it casts somewhere else.

And now the big one. Merulina. There's gonna be dislike because it's a Kdrive. In regards to that alone, Kdrives are still not a complete system, they need serious work to work well in the flow of gameplay. It clashes heavily with the pacing and intent of many levels and open worlds. That said, I brought Yareli to Earth's Interception and HOLY CRAP that was ALMOST fun. Looking at the level as a set of grinding rails. All of the vines and stuff. The wires. (You can't grind wires unfortunately though) So many things I could trick off of in that level that worked. (It's the Iron Wake area FYI if anyone is not aware.) I think whoever is working on this should seriously play Yareli in that level specifically to get a feel for what I mean. Same thing for the Grineer defense on Ceres, with lots of interesting board applications (You can grind the electric rail free of charge.)

Then there's the biggest problem with Merulina. There's no way to channel tricks into dps. I can do something fancy and it's pointless and pointless. There is no reward scenario here. I don't get anything from using Merulina other than a difficult time controlling where I'm going. Nothing about being on Merulina speaks to "I'm less vulnerable". I'm very confused about how this looks and feels as an ability. I still watch Yareli's health go down far quicker than Merulina's, but I can't help but feel like without the shield and damage reduction that Merulina is, Yareli finds it all too easy to get nuked. Nezha's ring shield for example is a more practical application than this. This lends nothing to her gameplay and synergizes only with her passive, which is usable without the kdrive, but almost practical for it.

The biggest catch in her kit, is that she doesn't synergize. Nothing feels good in tandem. As a surfing water frame, nothing works together. If you read her Tips, I appreciate the ideas there, but most of these literally are telling me that "This kit doesn't help itself." and "Line up enemies to melee kill."

Personal opinion: I think she needs her kit to lean INTO Merulina. If I was approaching this from a design standpoint, I would add perks to using her abilities while being on Merulina. Aquablades is a big one, since you're moving fast on Merulina, increasing the damage rate while on Merulina for more applications to keep Yareli moving more. Sea Snares, have Merulina "pop" the bubbles when colliding with held enemies. I'm not sure what I'd do about Riptide, right now because I can't cast it where I want it to go, I think I'm having a harder time figuring out what else might not work with it? Maybe have it move a short distance so it can pick up enemies along the way before spreading out where it lands? That said, I would also like to see Merulina moving on it's own or being left on the field where you dismounted and then used as a catalyst for the casts to synergize with. Maybe Aquablades and Riptide get a copy where Merulina is.

I think my biggest thing I want from Yareli, is literally: Make her kit FLOW. (For pun, practical, and lore reasons.) Stylistically, I want her to feel like she's water, not ice. Her kit is very stiff. It's difficult to enjoy when her passive and Merulina say "move, move, move" and all her abilities say "stay right there".

I have to add here how much I HATE coloring Yareli. Her color slots are a complete mess, it got me angry.

The primary slot changes both her face/body AND the details on the cloth. The body isnt metallic, but the cloth details are. If I want golden cloth, I get piss yellow face.
The secondary slot changes ALL metallic spots. I dont want to change the small spots, but they are all on the same slot. I want to keep the small details a different color.
The tertiary changes her cloth color, but only HALF OF IT. The other half is controlled by the primary color.
The accent slot only changes REALLY SMALL spots. A few lines and a few dots, thats it.
Her whole texture looks filthy. Like she rolled on the mud, I cant even make her a light color without looking like she is all dirty. Only a dark/black color can hide the spots.

Haven't mastered Yareli, but I don't think that will change my feedback below. I have no Kompressa feedback, as I have not acquired it yet.

Overall impression:
MR Fodder. She feels super underpowered. I'd recommend Banshee any day over her. The animation sets do have a cute personality to them.

PASSIVE 
I hardly paid attention to the passive. I use Primary and Melee the majority of my time. -> neutral impression that will not change due to my play style.

SEA SNARES
Hard to see, feels underwhelming and like it should combo with other powers of hers. An improvement here would have it combo with Aqua Blades to increase the Aqua Blades abilities, or have the aqua blade boost the Sea Snares power. ->neutral impression that can be turned positive with a bit of change.

MERULINA
This is horrible.
Awkward, and cramped in most levels. I'm at a point where I can VERY EASILY get out of environment at will. If I continue to play Yareli I will replace this ability 100% of the time using Helminth. -> hostile impression, I want to spit pure acid about this. A change would be to change the Merulina model to be larger (whale-themed ) to consume Yareli and use that to reduce the awkwardness. Jonah and the Whale, or Gepetto in Pinocchio is my line of thinking.

AQUABLADES
Feels so weak and undeveloped. I would really like to see this combo with Sea Snares in someway as noted above. -> Generally negative impression, but like sea snares, could probably be easily improved.

RIPTIDE
How does this work? Does it work? I watch the little ability video, but I don't feel like it works that well. If not for Merulina, I would replace this ability with Nidus' Larva in a heartbeat. -> negative impression. might be due to how the ability is presented.

Coloring her is a pain too. The blending on her skirt looks corrupted.

9 hours ago, Colyeses said:

I'm going to offer a counterargument here...

I think Aquablades should scale with range, because they currently have no applicability and no output, and the balance of those two is what determines an ability's worth, in general terms. As it stands, Aquablades' applicability is so abysmal (Especially since one melee weapon slap is probably going to cover a larger area for far more damage) that the only way you can make this ability worth considering is if it could exceed any weaponfire for DPS. It'd have to be able to grind down Sortie Lephantis in seconds, basically.

i usually try not to engage in these threads bc to be blunt the people in it aren't usually very intelligent but this seems well-reasoned enough to address

"no applicability" "no output" these are extreme exaggerations so you've already undermined your point before you've finished your first sentence, but you dont seem like a particularly stupid person at a glance so i'll just assume you meant "not enough applicability" and "not enough output" which is a fair assessment

comparing aquablades' damage against weapon damage is actually nonsensical because they don't actually directly compete with each other beyond aquablades's extremely short initial casting time; aquablades being up does not detract from wielding your weapons at all. they apply 525 true damage/second/second up to a cap of 3150 true damage/second after 6 seconds of continuous application (disclaimer: if you are taking more than 6 seconds to kill something in warframe something imo is seriously wrong) which certainly can't match the output of weapons, but since there is no opportunity cost shared between them that's IMO not a valid comparison. a more appropriate comparison would probably be to compare aquablades with another damage/damage-enhancing ability like Roar or Thermal Sunder. you're not going solo aquablades sortie lephantis anytime soon but that's fine in my opinion because there is nearly no circumstance in which you have to rely on aquablades, just by itself, to kill something, and since the bulk of the damage they do ignores armour scaling entirely they expedite weapon kills by roughly the same factor regardless of difficulty level

i will acknlowedge that when using very strong weapons there is probably a pretty significant level gap where aquablades cant kill by themselves but your weapons kill foes instantly or close to instantly so they also aren't helping you kill things any more easily

note: i also said that id be fine with aquablades having its damage buffed, and also while i don't think it having range scaling would be very conducive to yareli's gameplay theme i also acknowledge that its base range is about 4 meters so even at the maximum possible range of 11.2 meters it wouldn't really be catastrophic

E: Actually after running the Actual Numbers, I have found that my Prisma Gorgon @ Hunter's Munitions inflicts about 7200 bleed damage/second/second which exceeds Aquablades's damage by a factor of 14, and Prisma Gorgon isn't even that great of a weapon, so I'd say that Aquablades overall definitely needs a damage buff. dont math with your feels, kids

21 minutes ago, MrFrog9 said:

i usually try not to engage in these threads bc to be blunt the people in it aren't usually very intelligent but this seems well-reasoned enough to address

"no applicability" "no output" these are extreme exaggerations so you've already undermined your point before you've finished your first sentence, but you dont seem like a particularly stupid person at a glance so i'll just assume you meant "not enough applicability" and "not enough output" which is a fair assessment

comparing aquablades' damage against weapon damage is actually nonsensical because they don't actually directly compete with each other beyond aquablades's extremely short initial casting time; aquablades being up does not detract from wielding your weapons at all. they apply 525 true damage/second/second up to a cap of 3150 true damage/second after 6 seconds of continuous application (disclaimer: if you are taking more than 6 seconds to kill something in warframe something imo is seriously wrong) which certainly can't match the output of weapons, but since there is no opportunity cost shared between them that's IMO not a valid comparison. a more appropriate comparison would probably be to compare aquablades with another damage/damage-enhancing ability like Roar or Thermal Sunder. you're not going solo aquablades sortie lephantis anytime soon but that's fine in my opinion because there is nearly no circumstance in which you have to rely on aquablades, just by itself, to kill something, and since the bulk of the damage they do ignores armour scaling entirely they expedite weapon kills by roughly the same factor regardless of difficulty level

i will acknlowedge that when using very strong weapons there is probably a pretty significant level gap where aquablades cant kill by themselves but your weapons kill foes instantly or close to instantly so they also aren't helping you kill things any more easily

note: i also said that id be fine with aquablades having its damage buffed, and also while i don't think it having range scaling would be very conducive to yareli's gameplay theme i also acknowledge that its base range is about 4 meters so even at the maximum possible range of 11.2 meters it wouldn't really be catastrophic

Comparing aqua blades to roar and thermal sunder wouldn’t  be quite appropriate either. A more applicable comparison could be made with grasp of lohk or artillery fire. Roar is different type of ability itself not offering direct damage or cc but a damage boost. Thermal sunder on the other hand not only ccs with cold or hot but it also groups or disperses and strips armor. Making enemies significantly more vulnerable to damage. While being recast-able. Which puts it as ability near the strengths of ultimate abilities. GoL and AF add additional cc and damage and allow use of your weapons at the same time. And therefore are more congruent with what aquablades attempts to do. But aquablades falls short in the cc ability and damage ability of both of those. While incidentally being counterintuitive to Yareli’s stats, merulina’s motion, and with the passive.  

Why do you have to make some missions so hard? The Yareli mission, it is just so beyond hard. Not all of us are experts or hell even good at K-drive. It is the one syndicate I have never done anything with in all of my 1300 hours of playing this game because I suck at k-drive. Most of this game is such a grind anyway, why lock a frame behind something that not all of us are good at, oh wait, is it because you knew this and know that if people like me want the frame bad enough we will buy plat? ohhhh I see. no, I read reviews, I hear she blows so, I don't want her bad enough to spend money buying plat for her. But seriously, the quest is too difficult. 

I don't know if this is considered feedback or more like a bug report, but Yareli T-poses when using life-support capsules while riding Merulina. Also, she can't throw canisters while riding Merulina, effectively blocking her from the Exploiter Orb battle. I hope some changes would be considered to this.

Just some ideas and thoughts /opinions maybe? 

• Sea Snares - Skill idea?
  1. Maybe she throws a water bubble which enemies caught in it get dragged along to a certain range before exploding/imploding (blast DMG?) 
    - if explodes, surrounding enemies are CCed based on how far they are from bubble, near = big rag doll more dmg, far = slight stagger less dmg
    - if implodes, enemies caught in bubble take DMG and are slowed due to being drenched? or semi drowned in bubble?
    - bubble size is affected by range mods, dmg by strength, duration for the implode CC, number of enemies can be fixed, scale with range or scale with STR.
  2.  Maybe place "mines" which activates on trigger? imprisoning enemies in a water bubble for a duration of time? Enemies take dmg per sec based on being "drowned" inside the water prison?
    - DMG scales with STR , Duration with Duration, bubble size with range. 
  • Merulina - some changes?
  1. Currently feels kinda weak? dies kinda easily thou, does'nt handle as well as a K-drive, maybe style points can be benefit somehow? doing tricks in missions is....the fun of it? maybe if players can benefit from doing tricks would be cool thou.
    - i get stuck on roof/ceiling when jumping, needs to find correct jump power, not to less not too much just to find a good fit
  • Aqua Blades - idk about this?
  1. Why would i want to go near enemies with this when am squishy?
  2. Maybe the ring can expand sizes? costing more energy? 
  3. Maybe can be casted on allies or enemies?
    - cast on allies to protect them maybe even heal them?  (you know like water thingy) or maybe just a slow aura? could also do DMG to enemies.
    - cast on enemies so they self DMG their own team? slow aura? cast again to freeze the water and all who came in contact with?
    - Heal / DMG reduction scale on STR, Slow scales on STR, Fixed slow based on duration and ranged, 
  4. Some Avatar The Last Air Bender or The Legend Of Korra reference.

• Riptide - is there a tide to rip?
  1. 1st thing that comes to mind is yureli rides on merulina while riding a wave (riptide) that smashes on enemies.
    - maybe have a small wave she rides on, increase DMG and size of wave the longer it channels/travels.
    - resets merulina's HP / instantly summon merulina if not on merulina
    - surf into bubbles to scale size and dmg while dragging trapped enemies along the ride?
  2. similar to the limbo thing? where she drowns the whole area in water slowing all enemies in it and a whirlpool tornado thingy summoned in the middle pulling all drowned enemies into the middle. (basically a giant washing machine) 
    - enemies take drown DMG , slow movement in water (being under water cant do much)
    - synergy with Sea Snare bubbles as the bubble also gets dragged in dragging enemies in or along and explode in middle.

• Some other stuffs to add maybe i guess? no?
  1. Maybe like a ability would leave water? on the area when she traverse with merulina it has more speed? maybe healing? maybe energy regen or ability cost less? idk? make sense if she's on water so she use less energy to summon water?

1 minute ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Agreed and seconded.  She's the weakest frame in the game right now.  Even Hydroid is better.

Aye. Hydroid at least has some area of usage. Yareli's got a full set of abilities that are all weaker than existing ones. Her 1 is worst than Harrow's 1 with equally negligible damage. Her 2 is a weaker Warding Halo that disappears if you stub your toe. Her 3 gets beaten by every self-centered AoE due to its many limitations. Her 4 is weaker than Mag's 2, both in terms of offense and defense.

Also, while we don't need full-fledged frame reworks all the time, getting some slight buff or such to a single frame's ability per month would do so much. LIke, just make Xaku's disarm recastable while he's at full gun capacity already!

Glad to see that Merulina doesn't eject Yareli from most knockdown effects after the hotfix, even from her own explosive sidearms which add some weapon variety to her gameplay without the big self-stagger drawback. For us folks that don't have Primed Sure Footed, that's good news.

For her new round of changes hopefully in the coming week or two... entries on the Trello board or even a dev workshop would be nice.

I'm sure this has all been said but let it add to the counters of each comment! :D

She's a fun run-around spamming up the enemies with nigh-impunity frame similar to Nezha (tho she has to actually try not to die).

Her abilities need synergy.

The benefits of her #2 are huge to the point of being a necessary component of her gameplay beyond low levels, but her #2 is nigh-unusable in the vast majority of tiles in the game.  Uh... gotta do something about that.   Probably need to make Marilina perform substantially differently from a regular K-drive.   Lower jumps, less speed, more friction by default, maybe with some means of "opening up" in wide-open spaces.

Her abilities need synergy.   Her power damage doesn't need to scale a ton if her powers are synergizing with each other and the damage done by weapons.

8 hours ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

Here's to hoping Pablo's Q&A reply that there's currently no rework plans doesn't extend to fixing Yareli. Girl's severely undercooked.

I don't think she needs to be fully reworked, I just think a few lines need to be added or tweaked. Conceptually, she's actually pretty solid, except for Merulina, her defining feature. :\ And let's not even get into the can of worms that is Pablo basically stating he'd rather make something new than fix something old.

I think the community has offered a ton of great fixes. Make Merulina smaller, have tighter controls, use K-Drive mods... I really love the idea of spamming Sea Snares, gobbling up enemies with Riptide, then doing backflips to refill her energy. That would be an awesome niche for her.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

I don't think she needs to be fully reworked, I just think a few lines need to be added or tweaked. Conceptually, she's actually pretty solid, except for Merulina, her defining feature. :\ And let's not even get into the can of worms that is Pablo basically stating he'd rather make something new than fix something old.

I think the community has offered a ton of great fixes. Make Merulina smaller, have tighter controls, use K-Drive mods... I really love the idea of spamming Sea Snares, gobbling up enemies with Riptide, then doing backflips to refill her energy. That would be an awesome niche for her.

Not fully reworked, no. But she definitely needs more than just a few tweaks. Not just the stuff you mentioned (though we definitely need that), but also stuff like making her able to cast Helminth abilities on the board. Her 4 is a full body animation, so I can't for my life see why no other animation would work. Her 4 needs duration so you have time to take advantage of the CC, her 3 needs range and some other usage besides pure damage, and above all else, her kit needs synergy to not feel like a 2013 frame.

But good lord, that can of worms. I hope we won't, but I imagine we will, see a good number of "new frame X which is just old frame Y but better" moving forward. Like, "give Inaros actual abilities? Nah, let's just release another sand frame instead".

8 minutes ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

But good lord, that can of worms. I hope we won't, but I imagine we will, see a good number of "new frame X which is just old frame Y but better" moving forward. Like, "give Inaros actual abilities? Nah, let's just release another sand frame instead".

They just need to time it with deluxe launches, unvaultings, or prime releases for the newer ones.  It's a little scummy, but then hopefully it pays for the dev time.

24 minutes ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

Garuda is Valkyr 2. Yareli is Mahou Shoujo Hydroid. Baruuk is Excalibur-but-Fists. Grendel is Inaros but vore. With 47 frames, there's a lot of overlap.

28 minutes ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

Not fully reworked, no. But she definitely needs more than just a few tweaks. Not just the stuff you mentioned (though we definitely need that), but also stuff like making her able to cast Helminth abilities on the board. Her 4 is a full body animation, so I can't for my life see why no other animation would work. Her 4 needs duration so you have time to take advantage of the CC, her 3 needs range and some other usage besides pure damage, and above all else, her kit needs synergy to not feel like a 2013 frame.

I've been running lower duration, high strength, and that seems to get her up to level 80, but no higher. The brick wall I'm hitting is Merulina is just a really bad damage mitigation system. There's also no reason why Merulina is as buggy as it is. It should work fine with loot and enemy radar (K-Drives do normally), vacuum (seems to work like 40% of the time), and helminthed abilities. I've already made two posts in this thread about my large sweeping changes, but I think her core concept is actually pretty sound. If you feel like digging, I think they're on page 10 and 15.

Introduction

It's been a while since I gave feedback on a frame, mostly though because the last few frames I thought were in a pretty good spot. Lavos could still benefit from a lower cooldown on his 4 but I enjoy him. Sevagoth is extremely good and I love him. But Yareli...Well a while ago I said that Protea was the worst Warframe on release in a long time. Now arguably this was a bit overblown but even if it wasn't she then got some buffs that despite looking bad on paper, made her into one of the best frames out there right now. After her was Xaku who in my opinion was in an even worse spot than Protea was. But again Xaku got a lot of buffs and now is a quite viable pick. I wouldn't say they're Protea levels but they are a good frame and a solid pick. Yareli, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd say is likely the worst frame on release, possibly since I began playing years and years ago. Let's discuss why and how this can be fixed. 

Why Is She "The Worst"

Before we get into specifics on her abilities, I think it's important to explain why as a whole she feels so bad, not just underpowered. Largely I think it can be broke down as thus; Yareli's abilities are extremely simple, with no complexity or synergy, and are too weak to stand on their own. Sevagoth's 2 primes enemies for his one, which gives meter towards his 4. Lavos' abilities proc status, that his 4 uses for damage and his 3 lowers the cooldown. Going further back we have Wukong. His one summons his twin, while his 2 repositions and heals you and it, and his three gives you armor. I could go on and on but the point is many (though not all) warframes have interesting synergies with their abilities, or their abilities just have more going for them. Take Vauban's 4 for example. tapped it's a wide CC and repellent of sorts as well as buffing his armor. Holding the ability makes it a cluster ability, great for killing groups of enemies. 

Yareli however has really nothing interesting to her kit. Her one is a small cc that does a miniscule amount of DOT. her 3 is a tiny amount of damage in a small unchanging area around her. and her 4 is a cluster but only for a moment as it attempts to then do damage. But none of her abilities (sans perhaps her 2) have anything else interesting about them at all. No interesting synergies, no alternate uses, nothing. She feels like a very old frame like Frost where the abilities are just so simple, and besides Frost's bubble he's barely played now. 

Listed below is my thoughts on her current kit and how I would fix them, though to be honest I doubt these will be used as what I'm suggesting will mainly be a rework of sorts, and Xaku aside, DE tends to just give out buffs to new frames, not reworks. Not a diss at DE just an observation, they just released a frame, unless they absolutely need to (like for Xaku) they don't want to redesign it from the ground up. In my opinion though, she needs a redesign, badly. 

Passive Problems

Honestly, I think this is fine for the most part. Two issues though. One, why on earth would you give her a crit buff for secondaries, then have her signature secondary have such bad crit it's useless for it? It genuinely makes no sense. I love the Kompressa but it's like it was made for anyone but Yareli. Also when not on Merulina you lose the buff too fast. 

Passive Solutions

The Kompressa thing I doubt will be addressed at all but I would love for it to give 200% status on a weapon if it's base status is higher than it's crit (Though Kuva Nukor users wouldn't like that) Aside from that though, I'd say the 1.5 second start up also should be on it's fall off. If she's motionless for 1.5 seconds then the buff ends. This would allow you to not have to be constantly twitching when on foot to just not lose your buff.

Sea Snares Problems

Sea Snares are effectively much worse versions of Vauban's 1. You throw out a few balls, they hold enemies, damage them a bit, rinse and repeat. Difference is that Vauban's balls go after other enemies once theirs is dead, and just kinda follow you around. Yareli has far more bubbles though, but the damage on them and the low CC from them is just not good. Vauban's 1 gets away with this because he makes up for it with 3 other cc abilities, it's a supplement in that sense. 

Sea Snares Solution 1

One idea I have (which I doubt will fly but hell why not try?) would be to take some inspiration from the frame I keep referencing. The train man himself, Vauban. I would propose combining her one and 4 into one ability. On Tap you would throw out your bubbles. On hold they would pull together into Riptide. However this wouldn't be the Riptide we have now. Right now Sea Snares deals a percentage of the target's health as damage but when they all come together in Riptide it would deal the combined percentage of all targets caught in it to everyone within. This could make very interesting gameplay, of Yareli throwing her bubbles all over to catch enemies, then pull them together to have the Riptide melt them. When the duration is up Riptide does what it already does, and explodes, dealing some damage again.

Sea Snares Solution 2

Solution 2 is for when 1 is outright rejected. Yareli's 3 does a lot of Slash procs, like a helluva lot. Her one and 4 were changed to deal Cold damage now which does do a bit more damage to some units over all but provides additional CC from Cold procs...or it would if it did any procs. My suggestion, change this to Viral damage and have it actually proc Viral. This way you can snare enemies, prime them with viral, then drive by and hit them with a bunch of slash procs, they don't deal much damage on their own but properly primed they'd get the job done. 

Sea Snares Solution 3

All of the bubbles, just all of them. You could combine this with my second idea as well but I don't think I can get both of these. If I can't get my first or second Idea then I suggest one tap of her 1 casts all 15 snares. No need to turn a 25 cost ability into a 75 cost. just let us throw out all the bubbles and be done with it. 

Merulina Problems

This one is kinda polarizing. I quite like it but I understand why others wouldn't. Yes it can be hard to navigate on it, yes it's kinda a gimmick but I like that. Er, the latter part not the former. I've seen things about making her small like Titania with this, I'm not sure how I feel about that but I'm more focused on how we can make the ability not limit her so badly. As it stands now her 2 locks Yareli into only using her secondary, she cannot melee, or use primaries at all. However on her squid board she has no movement penalties on her casting towards other abilities, and she becomes a complete tank. Side note, I've been seeing people talk about how weak Merulina is and how low it's health is. I...don't see that at all tbh. In my testing, 20 lv 150 corrupted heavy gunners couldn't kill me even when standing still. Granted I had adaptation on too but that shouldn't be enough to save me I'd think if the squid was as weak as people say. What I personally think is that people are getting hit with knock down effects which kicks them off the board and makes them think it died. Tangent over. Now Yareli is quite limited while using her 2, but it has a very low casting cost and no upkeep cost, plus the benefits it provides from her passive, the ability movement freedom etc. It equals out to some extent. However this means that if you want to use your primary or melee at all, you're effectively already dead. Once you're off your fish stick you're fried. 

Merulina Solution 1

Merulina is such a strange ability, and made all the stranger by being her 2. Something this strange and defining to a frame is usually their 1 or their 4. However as it stands now it's kinda too weak to be a 4 but I think we can make it one. I would suggest Merulina stays exactly the same...when tapped. But when held, Yareli "Wears" Merulina. Be it on her arm like a shield, or on her back like a syandana. In this state Merulina now does actually have an upkeep cost however you gain it's main benefit without actually riding the board. You get the damage reduction but now you can actually use your primary and melee. This then presents a great choice for the player. Either have no upkeep cost and be able to cast abilities on the go, but have only your sidearm, or have an upkeep and freeze to cast your abilities, but have the freedom to use the rest of your equipment. 

Merulina Solution 2

Not gonna lie this one is really undercooked but here goes. We have the tiny Merulina in our orbiter as a drone. Let us have it as a fighting companion. Same idea as above but upon holding the cast button, Merulina moves about on it's own and fights alongside us. Maybe it can deal lesser versions of our abilities too like a single Aquablade, and occasionally spitting out a few bubbles. It would of course have an upkeep and also provide it's protection still, but I think it could be fun.

Aquablades Problems

Well if this is the first time you're reading this then you must not have read a single other post in this thread but here goes. Why does range do nothing? Honestly if the range was able to be adjusted then the low damage wouldn't be as bad (though it still needs more damage.) Oh but there is one more thing. The blades can miss the target. Unlike any abilities in an area around your frame that I can think of right now, Aquablades isn't "damage everything in this radius" it's "damage everything in this circumference" and that's a bid deal. As it stands it's not super noticeable, but if an enemy is too close to you the blades miss it, they only hurt things that are in it's direct path. So if we increase the range then that would only worsen the problem, as anything within this huge ring around you is safe, and only those on the finges get hurt. So that too needs to be dealt with. 

Aquablades Solution 1

You know how Revenant and Whisp can hold down a button during their 4s to increase the damage? Yeah something like that, but with range and damage. Effectively, aqua blades would act as they do now, but while active, holding down the casting button will have them expand outwards, hitting a farther and farther range and dealing more damage, however when doing so it begins to drain energy. This would allow you to tap it a few times, to shoot the ring outward to hit more enemies and deal much more damage, at the cost of energy. Additionally this and my second idea would need for anything within the blade's radius to take damage too, not just that which is in their direct path. 

Aquablades Solution 2

Much more simple this time. just increase the damage by a lot. Range not required, just let is be a moving blender in close range. 

Aquablades Solution 3

Keeping it simple, only a slight increase in damage, and let us add range. That's all.

Riptide Problems

When we first got a look at her kit, this was the ability I saw and genuinely, honestly said out loud "there's no way this will be useful" and I was right. An ability that's only purpose is to damage a group of enemies in one little blast has historically been not good for Warframe, it just never really works. This ability does basically no damage, and you can't use it as a grouping ability because it flings them afterwards. Sure it doesn't so much now, but it doesn't keep them together at all. Effectively it's useless. 

Riptide Solution

I'll be honest. I can't think of any way to really make this ability any more interesting, aside from what I said before in my first suggestion for Sea Snares. I stand by that too. I think combining these together would be much better, two weaker abilities becoming one decently good one. Otherwise though, I really really dislike this ability. I have no other ideas for it, and even if they do combine it with her 1, and give her a new ability. I'm not sure what that would be.

Closing Thoughts & What I'd Want Yareli To Be

I feel like I'm saying this every time I post something here. But honestly it feels like DE just doesn't playtest this stuff at anything above level 40. Her abilities are abysmal at anything beyond the aforementioned level cap. And with her especially, with only one useful ability at all (0 if you're one of the people who despise her 2) Then this is just bad. No real synergy, and no interesting mechanics to her abilities at all (again, sans her 2, even if you don't like it, it's still interesting I believe.) 

So what's a good Yareli in my book? Well if DE took each of my 1st suggestions for each ability and then gave her a new one to make up for combining two of them then I think she could be an interesting and in depth frame on par with even Sevagoth. Complexity without being too over the top. Interesting mechanics and playstyles. However if she just gets buffs in terms of "higher damage numbers" then I think she'll remain a mediocre frame. If she receives no further buffs at all then she will ascend to the throne Wukong left behind after his rework as the worst Warframe in the entire game. Worthy of her own category, below even the other worst frames. 

Thank you for reading, if you still are by this point. Don't hate on DE, they may not always make the best decisions, but I don't think they're bad, incompetent, or malicious. Thank you to DE for making my favorite game to play ever, I only say what I say because I love this game so much. Have a goodnight all. 

Finally got my Yareli and a chance to use her. Some things I observed.

1. Merulina is very hard to control. Practice might be a factor, but I am doubtful I will get leaps and bounds better.

2. Riptide doesn't do a lot. The damage isn't astounding and the duration is so low that it's practically up before you finish casting it. Then the scatter is more of a hindrance than a help.

3. The blades do next to nothing.

4. Her one move very very slowly (less thany frame's sprint animation) and it's ginnicky with height.

5. Her passive is strong, but there's no grace period for stopping which makes you kind of neurotic about moving.

6. I ended up just fighting on foot because the rank factor of merulina doesn't counteract the loss of survival for not being evasive. Optimal strategy seems be to use her 1 at melee range and walk forward and backward while firing.

On 2021-07-06 at 3:25 PM, [DE]CoreyOnline said:

MERULINA
Summon Merulina, a rideable creature of the waves, and the inspiration for K-Driving. Merulina protects Yareli by absorbing a large portion of incoming damage.

I think Yareli is too tall when she rides Merulina (it's like Mechs). Options:

-  make her smaller or

- when she is in "weapon mode" (she has her weapon equipped) make her sit on Merulina like in idle animations. This way she will be little smaller... and it would look amazing.

Le 06/07/2021 à 18:26, Wyrd_Oh a dit :

Please consider either removing the "Get X points in a K-drive Race" step requirements, reducing them or making them complete X amount of races. For someone who has to use a controller due to medical issues for this game, the K-drive handles like a pregnant goat on a ripstick. I have never gotten more than 2700-ish points in a race and seeing that you need 3000 points for the third step means I know I will never complete this quest if they keep scaling like that.

Some races give you 5000 points just to get from start to finish without actually doing any tricks.
Just find the right one, it's easy.

As for Yareli, having a K-drive that you can't mod is really underwhelming .
Her abilities should scale a lot more (especially aquablades, they can't do anything if you move too quickly, since you'll not stack the slash on ennemies because you're moving too fast).
K-drive movements have too much inertia, it's acually a pain to control it on corridors, and since you need the k-drive because casting abilities without it means death since you can't move, DE should really consider giving it some more controlability in general.
She's also a bit too tall, when you pass through doors with Merulina, you'll be slowed down because Yareli's head will touch the door frame.
Also, the model of Merulina is a bit too big too for the usual tilesets we have.
She's also squishy, even with Merulina, an Exergis Corpus can shred you in seconds even on her K-drive (since they also fire full auto with it...)

Her 4 fells nice, even though it could have an armor shred capacity to surviving ennemies, and a better attraction force imo.

Rn, she's not as bad as some people are saying, but far from being an enjoyable frame, she'll surely not be played that much if nothing is done for her 

8 minutes ago, CaylinBreaker said:

Merulina honestly feels fine to control when strafing and moving without boosting. There's other issues and I'd like to echo the suggestions posed by some community members of reducing Yareli's size when using Merulina à la Titania, in order to make her style of momentum-based movement work in the cramped spaces of normal missions, but discounting the environment it still feels smooth and natural to move. Then you press shift and suddenly it all changes, hence my suggestion:

Change the A and D keys when boosting on Merulina to work the same as they do when not boosting, as "strafe" keys.

In practice I understand why it is the way it is now. for Warframes when you press A and D when not sprinting you strafe as you can still aim and shoot, so it would look awkward otherwise. Meanwhile for visual purposes when sprinting, your Warframe will physically turn to face the diagonal or side you sprint to with the A and D keys as you cannot shoot, and sprinting sideways like a crab would look a bit unusual. This makes sense and poses no issue as Warframes can immediately switch their movement direction in an instant which leaves sprint still feeling responsive and this distinction entirely visual.

For Merulina however, it isn't a purely visual decision. Regardless of whether you're moving forward or not, when not boosting on Merulina you are able to strafe side to side with the A and D keys. This is great, it feels incredibly responsive and gives you complete control over your positioning and works exactly how you'd intuitively expect to. When you sprint however, the A and D key turn Merulina which leads to some consequences that I would think are unintended. Pressing the A or D key while sprinting at any point even for an instant totally changes your heading away from your mouse pointer for some time even after letting go of the key, and it's very difficult to predict where you're actually going to end up once it corrects itself. That in and of itself is mildly annoying, but then when you factor in turning with the mouse it just becomes completely uncontrollable.

I feel how it was intended to work was that you could turn corners using the mouse OR the WASD keys, but instead it results in WASD being awkward as you can't see where you're going and even accidentally trying to use both methods in tandem as you would when not boosting (to make a sharper turn by pressing A and moving left or a wider bank by pressing D while turning left, but ultimately ending up in the same space, resulting in more control to the player -  how it works when not boosting) instead you veer off in a totally unpredictable direction upon pressing the key while turning, only to then veer off in another totally unpredictable direction when it attempts to correct after releasing the key. It makes boosting around tight corners, something that should be incredibly fun and exciting, instead frustrating and clunky. You build up muscle memory of using the movement keys when not boosting and it results in massive frustration when you naturally go to press them when boosting.

The immediate precision and responsiveness of camera-based control requires supporting control schemes to match that precision and responsiveness. Please chang A and D while boosting to instead apply sideways movement without physically turning Merulina. This would prevent it shifting her direction drastically and uncontrollably and would allow it to match and mesh with the mouse controls.

Posting my Merulina control feedback I made a separate topic for here.

28 minutes ago, quxier said:

I think Yareli is too tall when she rides Merulina (it's like Mechs). Options:

-  make her smaller or

- when she is in "weapon mode" (she has her weapon equipped) make her sit on Merulina like in idle animations. This way she will be little smaller... and it would look amazing.

Alternatively, make Merulina swim through the ground, thus lowering Yareli to more normal heights.

Regardless of the choice, she definitely is too tall.

Just now, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

Alternatively, make Merulina swim through the ground, thus lowering Yareli to more normal heights.

Regardless of the choice, she definitely is too tall.

Yes please. I hate having to crouch just to smoothly pass through doors but still losing speed.

Also make her Aquablades hidden/transparent when aiming down sights, and/or lower the blades to rotate around Merulina's level when riding it. I'd like to see what I am shooting.

Archived