Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Beginner-Friendly Auras

Trainer772

I know that when I first played warframe, enemies took forever to kill because I was hitting the wrong parts. Credits were very scarce because of all the weapons I had to get and the cores I had to fuse. Maps were difficult to navigate and the waypoint system was extremely unfriendly. Ammo would always hit rock bottom because our guns were so weak and my beginner parties and I would have to melee Vor or Vay Hek to death.

Imagine an Aura with no polarity so it would be compatible with all beginner frames, designed specially for beginners to give them mod capacity and an essential trait that they need. Why an Aura? Beginners need to start using Redirection and their abilities as soon as they can, and the severe mod limit keeps them from using more than a few defense mods and maybe one or two abilities. When I first started playing, I didn't use any ability asides from slash dash (even though RJ and RB are great abilities) simply because I couldn't use any more than redirection, vitality, fast deflection, and another mod or two, and it took me a week to get my first aura. Having an aura from the start is a great way to help beginners experience a little more out of warframe variety instead of forcing them to use only defense mods and one or two abilities at most.

For example:

-An aura that boosts credits. It could boost credits at a set percent (this might make it viable for end-game users). Unknown924 suggested that it could give a set additional end-game credits (like +300 to 500 credits) to make it very beginner friendly since early missions give 1-1.5k credits apiece, and I strongly agree that it should scale as a set bonus instead of a percent. Credits are hard to come by for beginners and a little boost will help them get their first new weapons faster.

-An aura that slowly restores ammo. I know that there are ammo restore consumables, but let's face it: beginners don't know how to use them, nor can they even craft them. If there can be an aura to restore health and energy when there are consumables that do the same, why not make an aura that restores ammo? This would be a great beginner mod since they have difficulty aiming and killing and inherently expend tons of ammo. When I first started playing with MK1 Braton, the gun was so weak, my mods were so few, and the enemies (especially the bosses) were so tanky that I'd frequently run out of ammo and have to resort to melee. When I fought Vor for the first time, I dumped what few rounds I had left and tried to melee him to death before getting zapped to death myself. The constant ammo shortages had a lasting impression on me, and to this day I always fear ammo shortages so I stick with powerful weapons like the Despair, Dual Vastos, Acrid, or Ogris even when I do have ammo drop auras and ammo mutation. Ammo shortage should NOT be a problem for beginners, as it gives a misleading impression of what is to come. This aura could also have a beginner-friendly scale. For example, instead of .2, .4, .6, .8, 1.0, 1.2, it could be .5, .7, .9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2). 1.2 is a lot anyways and may be viable in later tiers, so it could be a 3-tiered aura scaling at .4, .6, .7, .8.

-An aura that gives you information on enemies' armored parts and multipliers when you mouse over them (green = high multiplier and low armor, orange/red = low multipier or high armor). This would be great for teaching beginners to make fast kills across different factions and different enemy types. I don't know how to make this scale with more levels - range? Number of occurrences? etc. This doesn't have to be an aura or a mod at all, since it is a negligible problem compared to the other ones. However, hitting 5s on those level 1 grineer bodies do get the best of most beginners.

-An aura that helps you navigate the map by laying down a pulsed yellow glowing path to the objective every x seconds. I know that when I first started playing, the rooms were slightly difficult to navigate and there were some rooms that I got stuck because the waypoint wasn't so beginner-friendly. The rooms where you have to go up or down a certain way were very challenging, and I think a clear yellow line would help. This is a "guide" of sorts that help people get accustomed to each room, and its use will wear off extremely fast. Every time a player encounters a new map set, he can equip it and use it to get accustomed to the map.

-An aura that adds to your damage (not base damage, but an "elemental" damage that is applied after all the multipliers) by a flat amount (suggestion by CaveCricket48). Frankly, beginner weapons are extremely weak (you really have to know what you're doing to use them proficiently), and the first few elemental damage mods they pick up for their weapons scale horrendously. An aura that gives a flat damage increase to all members of the party across all their weapons would be very helpful, since the addition of a set damage to the base damage is a much better proportional increase than the addition of a percent of whatever elemental mod the beginner finds. Simply put, a +5 damage on a 16 damage MK1 Braton beats +15% fire/electric damage any day. Once again, the aura could scale heavily on the front end to make them viable without having to use cores. + 2.5/3/3.5/4/4.5/5 damage across the 6 tiers would be good. If it followed a 3-tier system (which I believe is best for "beginner auras,") it could be +3/4/4.5/5 damage. This mod is not viable at all for end-game users for obvious reasons while giving beginners a nice stepping stone to get their weapons leveled up and to find their first few damage mods.

Any takers? Warframe is not beginner friendly, and making these beginner-friendly auras will help them in many ways by supplementing the many deficiencies in both firepower and experience.

These mods should start high at first (~50% of its power) and get a smaller boost per level so that it would give beginners a solid advantage without the need to dump cores into them, and it would keep them from scaling into viable mods for higher levels. Another solution that I strongly advocate for is to make the mods 3-tiered only like Speed Holster; this will allow beginners to fuse them to maximum efficiency as quickly/cheaply as possible and further decrease their viability for end-game users (only +5 mod capacity versus +14 mod capacity). Since they have no polarity, it would be very good for beginners who don't have many choices of frames and keep end-game players from using them to raise their mod cap effectively. None of these mods would be of any use to end-game players and are extremely favorable towards early gameplay, which is extremely deficient in options.

Edited by Trainer772

Great ideas, man. From what I've heard, the Design Council isn't as open as it may be assumed, but still, try and get your word out in there if you haven't already, especially since they were just talking about beginner friendliness today.

I think that something like this would be nice.  Not so sure about ammo regen in particular (That would be abusable at higher levels), but something to give a leg up and dampen the learning curve.

I agree, it's difficult to keep ammo regen viable for beginners without giving end-game players an edge considering how much more an end-game player can do with each shot.

On the other hand, players seem to be using rifle scavanger or ammo mutation simply because they can kill more enemies. Rifle Ammo mutation seems to be more popular simply because end-game players can cut through so many enemies (let's say 2-5 bullets per level 70-120 enemy, with each enemy dropping an average of 5 ammo), whereas beginners are constantly engaged in extended fights with smaller groups of enemies and can't get as many drops (let's say 10-15 bullets per level 1 enemy, with each enemy dropping an average of 5 ammo). Scavanger doesn't seem to be very popular; there's no reason why ammo regen would be more viable than scavnger. The key difference is that rifle ammo mutation takes advantage of end-game players' ability to kill much faster.

Therefore, ammo regen is still inferior to scavanger or mutation for end-game.

Edited by Trainer772

I......don't think the ammo one is needed.

As a recent beginner, ammo wasn't much of a problem for me.

Not to mention, there's already a [Team Ammo Restore] blueprint that's purchasable from the market and (correct me if I'm wrong here:) easily crafted.

That said, all thumbs up for the cred-boost non-polar aura!

Creds aren't easy to accumulate early-game. Not easy enough that is.

Credit Boost Aura could be a flat amount added to mission completion. That way it will be very useful for beginners but not too powerful on higher level missions that give out more credits as a base.

Say 5 levels, each level adding 100 credits to mission completion. With a full team of 4 using it that would be 2000 credits per mission. This would be very powerful for beginners but not as good for higher level players.

Credit Boost Aura could be a flat amount added to mission completion. That way it will be very useful for beginners but not too powerful on higher level missions that give out more credits as a base.

Say 5 levels, each level adding 100 credits to mission completion. With a full team of 4 using it that would be 2000 credits per mission. This would be very powerful for beginners but not as good for higher level players.

This is true. A +1k credits could double beginners' end-game credits but only add +15-20% to end-game players' gains. I edited the mod suggestion to reflect this.

Edited by Trainer772

If there was an aura that gave a flat +50 bullet-type damage increase for all guns, it would help noobies kill weaker mobs faster, but being a flat increase, wouldn't scale at all and wouldn't have much of an impact late-game.

+50 damage is way too much considering level 1s take that much damage to kill. However, I agree that a flat damage increase aura would be much more beginner friendly than a damage/elemental mod on the weapon that scales with the weapon's terrible damage. Something like a +2.5/3/3.5/4/4.5/5 damage aura (same damage type as weapon used) would be very helpful to beginners; their 16 damage MK1 bratons would see a much bigger proportional increase in damage while keeping the aura completely obsolete in later levels. I will add that suggestion to the main post.

Are we talking the +5 damage aura as additional base damage, or 'elemental' damage?

If the former, it might make stuff like the Grakata useable, and we can't have that.

Plus 5 on top of everything else. Not +5 base damage. That way it will be viable in early levels and not make high-ROF weapons ridiculously OP.

Soma with +5 base damage. Yea, not happening.

I think these are all fantastic ideas.

If you're looking for a way to keep them from being used by experienced 'end game' players, why not have them unusable after say...mastery rank 3? That would give a new player enough time to level up their weapons, perhaps getting some new weapons and, if you're lucky and have experienced friends, perhaps even farm a new frame. Then the aura could become 'locked' effectively, meaning it's only viable use for experienced players would be fusing or transmuting.

As stated above, something like the ammo regen mod would be fairly abusable once you've gotten a ways into the game, so having it no longer usable after you've hit a certain point would actually mean you would have to start relying more on the skills you've acquired until that point.

I......don't think the ammo one is needed.

As a recent beginner, ammo wasn't much of a problem for me.

Not to mention, there's already a [Team Ammo Restore] blueprint that's purchasable from the market and (correct me if I'm wrong here:) easily crafted.

I feel the ammo one would actually be a very good contribution. When I started, I had very little shooter experience, and I went through ammo like it was going out of fashion. Unfortunately, it wasn't going out of fashion and not only did I not have the credits and what not to make any form of ammo restore things, but I also had the amazing ability to either miss every single ammo drop there was, or I was just completely blind...probably the latter, but not really the point.

Inexperienced gamers that come into Warframe have enough on their plate to deal with, what with moving, and aiming, and health, etc. Having the ability to not have to worry *so* much about ammo would have been a blessing for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there would can say that. Obviously, the ammo regen wouldn't be a huge amount, but even just having that little bit so that when I faced Vor I didn't have to rely purely on the random fully ranked guy that was farming Vor drops (thank you whoever that was!) would have made a huge difference to me, in both general usefulness, and the feeling that I was completely useless.

It is just my opinion - I'm not a TRUE rookie to third-person shooters (the only other one i've played is S4 league, which is PvP oriented), so I have some background on shooters

(protip: ammo costs! #nonotreallybutyougetthepoint)

That second paragraph I can totally agree with though - the tutorial is VERY short, brief, and doesn't teach you everything that's needed to know. While I do believe that encourages the user to investigate further key bindings on their end (seriously, why doesn't everyone do this!? #instinctive_rage), the new-user experience should be much more.....intuitive.

Unless for some reason the rapid tutorial is supposed to reflect the hasty nature of this game, then that'd make complete sense.

Edited by Syzodia

I think these are all fantastic ideas.

If you're looking for a way to keep them from being used by experienced 'end game' players, why not have them unusable after say...mastery rank 3? That would give a new player enough time to level up their weapons, perhaps getting some new weapons and, if you're lucky and have experienced friends, perhaps even farm a new frame. Then the aura could become 'locked' effectively, meaning it's only viable use for experienced players would be fusing or transmuting.

As stated above, something like the ammo regen mod would be fairly abusable once you've gotten a ways into the game, so having it no longer usable after you've hit a certain point would actually mean you would have to start relying more on the skills you've acquired until that point.

A mastery rank lock is uncertain, since we don't know when the beginner will have stockpiled an adequate quantity of different polarity auras. If it's a casual player who doesn't have the opportunity to do aura alerts whenever they pop up due to time or map unlock restraints, it may be the case that he won't have many auras to choose from even at mastery 3. I currently believe that it is best for the beginner auras to become obsolete on their own rather than forcing players to stop using them upon reaching a certain mastery rank.

It took me a week to get my first aura, which was Rejuvenation. My first warframe I got was Rhino, and it took me a long time to get Rifle Amp. That didn't flow so well.

There has to be a different way to make ammo regen viable only for beginner players without actually forcing them to quit using it, and I think that having it as a rank 3 aura without a polarity would make it extremely difficult for end-game players to use it unless they added another 2-3 forma to their frame. This might not be adequate though, since someone who has enough forma/platinum to make that possible will inevitably have access to this aura without the need to sacrifice any other mod; we're just betting on the hope that the average end-game player doesn't find it worthwhile to slap another 2-3 forma on every other frame just to use a high-ROF weapon as opposed to simply using an ammo mutation mod like any other player. In addition, an ammo regen aura takes away from players' ability to use energy syphon, which is a far more necessary end-game aura since ammo mutation can solve ammo shortages but no other mod can solve energy shortages.

Edited by Trainer772

I feel the ammo one would actually be a very good contribution. When I started, I had very little shooter experience, and I went through ammo like it was going out of fashion. Unfortunately, it wasn't going out of fashion and not only did I not have the credits and what not to make any form of ammo restore things, but I also had the amazing ability to either miss every single ammo drop there was, or I was just completely blind...probably the latter, but not really the point.

Inexperienced gamers that come into Warframe have enough on their plate to deal with, what with moving, and aiming, and health, etc. Having the ability to not have to worry *so* much about ammo would have been a blessing for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there would can say that. Obviously, the ammo regen wouldn't be a huge amount, but even just having that little bit so that when I faced Vor I didn't have to rely purely on the random fully ranked guy that was farming Vor drops (thank you whoever that was!) would have made a huge difference to me, in both general usefulness, and the feeling that I was completely useless.

When I first started playing the game, I had come with a semi-professional background of shooter experience. Even then, I was running out of ammo too. After playing my first few games (especially Vor), I told my friends who had referred me to this game: "Man, ammo is such a huge problem in this game! What are some good weapons that don't run out of ammo?"

That's how I ended up using Kunai as my main weapon up until my Braton was damage-modded enough to be ammo-efficient.

Bump. I started a new account and played around a bit as an experiment. On my first match, I was consciously watching my ammo, picking up pickups, and going for high accuracy, but by the end of the match I was down to 200 reserve ammo from killing some 60 guys. It's little wonder that I always hit rock bottom when I didn't know how to aim.

This thread is for you.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/128873-vor-needs-better-clothing/

This discussion (almost identical to this: "Imagine an Aura with no polarity so it would be compatible with all beginner frames, designed specially for beginners to give them mod capacity and an essential trait that they need.") has occurred internally as well - the Aura system lacks explanation from the get-go and we should improve this.

I did not come into this conversation to be insulted, but thank you for your complete lack of anything.

Oh, just BTW, I could now snipe you from the opposite end of a map. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut.

Edited by KaeganDeoir