Returning Player

Posted (edited)

I took about 8 months off from the game, mostly because I was burned out but also because I had other things going on in my life. I recently started playing again and was actually pretty excited. Having missed so many updates, new frames and weapons, new stories and quests, etc., I figured there was plenty of content to catch up on. I finally got all of the parts for Protea and started building her, so I decided to go for the next Warframe, Xaku. This would also allow me to check out the new open world that I hadn't had a chance to play in yet, Deimos. And this was where I was reminded why I stopped playing the game.

To start, the bounties in Deimos are just terrible. They are boring, which is a problem, but the biggest issue is they simply do not work. Half the time a simple part of a bounty might take 10 minutes because enemies will not spawn. The bounty where you have to beat the Grineer in kills is almost impossible sometimes on the lower levels because everything is so weak that the Grineer insta kill everything, which forces you to stand right on top of the infected eggs that spawn enemies (which, *shock* take forever to spawn). This might be okay if the rewards you were getting were actually worth it, but unfortunately you are only getting lenses, endo, relics, etc. The pain of going through the mission simply does not match the rewards you get for completing it.

Furthermore, the grind is actually unreal. I've had two of Xaku's parts built for a day now, but I'm still waiting to build the part that requires Scintillant. I have now spent 5 hours today trying to get this resource, and I've picked up 2. That is insane. It does not reflect a "good" game design, it reflects laziness. "Just make them run the same mission 50-75 times in a row to get 5 resources" is not fun, and it is actually really frustrating to players. I am all for a grind but this is not how you go about it. A grind is supposed to be meaningful, and it is supposed to be a challenge. Not just pure RNG and bad luck. I think DE confuses difficulty with luck sometimes. Difficulty is good for a game. It forces player to change their playstyles or think more strategically about how they play. These missions aren't hard - they just don't give you what you need, so you have to do them over and over and over and over until the game just is not fun any more. **EDIT** I also forgot, that right before I made this topic I also was in the middle of a bounty that just stopped working. I completed the objective and was ready for step 2, but the game just would not move on. Yet another bug.

This is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure. I don't even want to get into the other new parts of the game at this point because of how bad these first few experiences have been. I have no doubt they are just as poorly designed and rng-dependent as Deimos.

It's sad because in so many ways Warframe really is a great, unique game. There's not quite anything like it to this day. But the pointless grind and missions that don't work have once again ruined it for me. I was really excited to get back into the game, and I was even ready to drop a little money to support it again. But the experience I've had coming back has really made me second guess that decision. 

Edited by (PSN)letsgoninjas76
  • Like 3

I'll say to you what I say to all returning players

If the game doesn't pull you in when you come back, just don't play it, games are supposed to be fun and if it feels like work then it isn't worth it.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Scintillant drops are in a way better spot than it used to be if that makes you feel any better. I wouldn’t even mess with the bounties trying to get them as a drop reward.

if you’re able to do isolation vaults it’s a much better way to do it. They drop from killing the mechs and are also randomly floating around when you’re in the final underground area. Just have to keep an eye out. 

Edited by (PSN)goonie4good

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, (PSN)letsgoninjas76 said:

I had a random guy try to help me, we did 3 isolation vaults in a row and didn't get any.

That sucks, I feel like I always walk out of there with a few whenever I run one so just keep at it, or just farm something else and give your nerves a break ;)

Edited by (PSN)goonie4good
  • Like 1

Don't farm Scintilliant on bounties, go on Isolation vauklts or arcana vaults. Scintilliant spawns in one room, then you remember on wich room you saw it and every time you re do the mission the same ammount of scintilliants you've saw earlier will be waiting for you on the exact same spot.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)goonie4good said:

That sucks, I feel like I always walk out of there with a few whenever I run one so just keep at it, or just farm something else and give your nerves a break ;)

I appreciate the positivity! I'm mostly frustrated because this is a good and fun game but they add things that are pointless and take away from the fun sometimes.

Just now, (PSN)letsgoninjas76 said:

I appreciate the positivity! I'm mostly frustrated because this is a good and fun game but they add things that are pointless and take away from the fun sometimes.

Yeah dude, there’s a line they tow quite often of being an acceptable grind and being a tad bit overkill to the point of making it tedious and not fun anymore (so you cave and buy it) haha. I’d say just play passively working through the rest of the Deimos content doing a vault occasionally and you’ll eventually end up with more than you need. Good luck!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PSN)letsgoninjas76 said:

This is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure. I don't even want to get into the other new parts of the game at this point because of how bad these first few experiences have been. I have no doubt they are just as poorly designed and rng-dependent as Deimos.

my advice for you:

- the Helminth segment is the main thing to get from Deimos, and that's only if you care about being able to transfer certain abilities between warframes (and there are of course limits to this system). you can get it at Rank 3 which isn't too bad. when it first came out we had no chocie but to do conservation for the Son Tokens, but now you can just run bounties and trade the tokens in for standing, and eventually you'll get enough. standing caps still apply but you can keep farming tokens: you just can't cash them in once you reach your daily cap. every other item is just optional really. 

- the Necramechs can be bought now, and personally the Iso-Vault grind wasn't great, especially before the Arcana update. now you can actually select which vault you need instead of running the same mission over and over for a single good chance at Mech and weapon parts. both the mechs are REALLY fun in combat though!

- Railjack has been improved considerably, and now we have AI crews so you can solo railjack if you want and not feel like trying to do 3-4 player's roles all at once. amazingly their AI doesn't suck; engineers will ACTUALLY repair things while you pilot the ship or whatever.

- do the Call of the Tempestarii quest, not only is Sevagoth an awesome frame, the song is a banger and makes you feel like a true space pirate!.

2 hours ago, (PSN)letsgoninjas76 said:

The bounty where you have to beat the Grineer in kills is almost impossible sometimes on the lower levels because everything is so weak that the Grineer insta kill everything,

the main culprit here is Garv, the main Grineer, because he has an Ignis and the infested are very weak to heat damage. his Lancer friends usually don't get many kills.  I've found if you stand really close to Garv and keep your head on a swivel, you can just keep kill-stealing from him. yeah, it's a dirty trick, but if it means you get to the next stage of the bounty, who cares? sometimes I'll use my mech instead.. nothing can compete with Arquebex for killing hordes lol, but if you don't have a mech, just stick by Garv and as soon as he turns to aim, start firing an AoE weapon in that direction. 

if you want, you could send a friend request and I can help you farm some Scintillant when I get online again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

my advice for you:

- the Helminth segment is the main thing to get from Deimos, and that's only if you care about being able to transfer certain abilities between warframes (and there are of course limits to this system). you can get it at Rank 3 which isn't too bad. when it first came out we had no chocie but to do conservation for the Son Tokens, but now you can just run bounties and trade the tokens in for standing, and eventually you'll get enough. standing caps still apply but you can keep farming tokens: you just can't cash them in once you reach your daily cap. every other item is just optional really. 

- the Necramechs can be bought now, and personally the Iso-Vault grind wasn't great, especially before the Arcana update. now you can actually select which vault you need instead of running the same mission over and over for a single good chance at Mech and weapon parts. both the mechs are REALLY fun in combat though!

- Railjack has been improved considerably, and now we have AI crews so you can solo railjack if you want and not feel like trying to do 3-4 player's roles all at once. amazingly their AI doesn't suck; engineers will ACTUALLY repair things while you pilot the ship or whatever.

- do the Call of the Tempestarii quest, not only is Sevagoth an awesome frame, the song is a banger and makes you feel like a true space pirate!.

the main culprit here is Garv, the main Grineer, because he has an Ignis and the infested are very weak to heat damage. his Lancer friends usually don't get many kills.  I've found if you stand really close to Garv and keep your head on a swivel, you can just keep kill-stealing from him. yeah, it's a dirty trick, but if it means you get to the next stage of the bounty, who cares? sometimes I'll use my mech instead.. nothing can compete with Arquebex for killing hordes lol, but if you don't have a mech, just stick by Garv and as soon as he turns to aim, start firing an AoE weapon in that direction. 

if you want, you could send a friend request and I can help you farm some Scintillant when I get online again.

I appreciate the help and advice. I'll keep all of that in mind. I logged off a while ago but I will definitely add you when I get back on.