Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Single Vasto: Crit Or Elemental Build?

Atham

Question

9 answers to this question

Most people will tell you an elemental build, since having higher damage 100% of the time is more reliable than having much higher damage 33% of the time. Especially when your ammo count is lower on account of the Vasto being a secondary weapon.

HOWEVER

When Damage/Armor 2.0 comes out the critical system is supposed to be a lot more important. Elemental mods are supposed to function off of criticals, and the elemental combination bit will change the effects of "rainbow" elemental builds entirely. So, I would start getting used to running a critical-oriented Vasto in the meantime. If you're going to run a rainbow build anyways, don't get too attached to it; those builds won't be considered the "best" possible builds forever.

Rainbow is more 'Deeps' on paper - but in actual playout, honestly, Crits will be more effective, IMO.

those Elementals will get hit hard on all enemies, since every enemy is resistant to atleast one of them. 

people will argue with that, but tbh, higher base damage boosting those more universal Elementals, will net you better Ammunition Efficiency. 

and due to Pistols almost always shooting 3 bullets per bullet, you have a quite high chance to Crit with every shot. 

not to mention, with AP being generally the best Elemental for most enemy types, Crits will net you more AP damage. 

'course, the system is changing at some point in the future (more like eventually). so this could end up totally different. 

Don't use crit builds on secondary weapons, the crit stats are ok-ish at best and the crit mods aren't great.

The only advantage of doing a crit build is that you can squeeze out a bit more AP damage from no-return, but meh.

Edited by CubedOobleck

Don't use crit builds on secondary weapons, the crit stats are ok-ish at best and the crit mods aren't great.

The only advantage of doing a crit build is that you can squeeze out a bit more AP damage from no-return, but meh.

if he plans to use Forma, Crits would be the way to go for the future, for a very respectable Crit weapon like Vasto. because rainbow will soon become useless. 

if he plans to use Forma, Crits would be the way to go for the future, for a very respectable Crit weapon like Vasto. because rainbow will soon become useless.

Ok, I'm talking about now, as of 2/11/2013, crit builds on secondaries aren't better than a rainbow build.

Daamge 2.0 may or may not change that, but I'm pretty sure Atham wants to know what to do with his weapon right now, not in 2 weeks or a month.

Just sayin': the new elemental mods won't rely on crits in Armor 2.0.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this. I thought that whole system was a bit iffy, since it would quite possibly destroy the utility of elemental damage gets from its bonus effects.

Ok, I'm talking about now, as of 2/11/2013, crit builds on secondaries aren't better than a rainbow build.

Daamge 2.0 may or may not change that, but I'm pretty sure Atham wants to know what to do with his weapon right now, not in 2 weeks or a month.

Sure, he wants to know what to do with it now. However, would you be happy or upset if someone sold you a car that was running perfectly now, but is predicted to break down in two weeks or a month? That's why we're mentioning Damage 2.0. What is considered "viable" or "the best" is very likely to change in the near future, so we don't want him to invest a ton of time and resources in creating the "perfect build" if the new system invalidates it.