Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yareli and the 'anime' coin confusion

Littlelosttank

Not entirely sure how to word it so this might be a tad blunt 

I don't understand the hate towards Yareli and her animations. I keep reading how she's too anima or does not fit warframes design style yet most of the time its either her states or.... just her bubbly happy feel. Is a positive emotion on display not linked to morbid or cruel intent so terrible? 

We have the edge lord crew, Garuda, Stalker, Sevegoth, frames no one had a problem with design wise even though they do quite easily fall into the other side of the anima coin. We have Xaku and Grendal who don't even really fit warframe lore at all in how a frames made/created/designed. No one looks at a 'dad bod' and thinks "That's a good super unit design." after all. 

From what I can tell Yareli is a frame designed to appeal to the children of the Orokin era. Bring some joy to the young minds with how she behaves and in general be a pleasant yet deadly when needed asset. A super hero for them to look up too they relate and understand. She might be a bit silly here and there like when she summons her board sits on it then falls down when it poofs, this easily fits in with her appealing to the little ones she likely was designed to operate around. Sevegoth was not designed with handling or being around children, nor is Garuda, though all in general designed to still be killing machines however with different mission profiles. 

Garuda, demoralize the enemy, Sevegoth, basically the grim reaper/rescue in space/void space, Yareli protect children while forming a bond with them and give them a bright point in a world of death and gloom. 

Her states are another topic though. Her animations.... I don't see the problem with considering whats already in the game some of which has been for a long, long time. 

Why is she so bad thanks to this anima thing when edge lord frames are very much a thing in both WF and anima, or why she does not fit the design theme of WF when I watched most praise DE for the creation of meat ball dad bod Grendal? 

The first thing that went through my mind when they revealed her association with the Ventkids was that Yareli was probably created using a fairly young person as the base with the intent to put her to use as a guardian for Orokin children.

She stands out as an oddity in Warframes grimdark theme, but i personally like that she does. Makes her stand out a bit. 

The problem is how "magical girl" her appearance and aesthetics are (which is literally her design inspiration). Even if they make it work in-lore the concept is still more out there than any of the other frames.

Also she's not only the only frame with aesthetics remotely like this but is the only thing in the game like this. Like if it was established that such themes were prevalent among the Vent Kids or elsewhere before hand then it would be a different story.

You literally are describing why some people hate her animations so much and her personality and even her design, her in-game story doesn't tells you anything relevant other than she was the inspiration for K-Driving and that she wasn't good at fighting, other warframes in their stories fight against multiple enemies(leverian/codex) but she couldn't even 1v1. That is. It would have been better a story from the orokin era told by the Leverian rather than the comic book which was really bad IMO since it didn't told us anything new, we already knew that she was the inspiration for K-Driving.

The warframes that you are mentioning at least have a story or have more to do with the lore than Yareli. She feels more like a cosplayer doing silly posses rather than an actual warframe from all the descriptions that the devs gave about her.

37 minutes ago, Reitrix said:

with the intent to put her to use as a guardian for Orokin children

If you want someone/something to be a guardian to children, mobility and "spinning blades of death" do not seem like sensible powers to give them. Running away and slashing everything around you sound like really bad ways of protecting targets that can't run very fast and will try to bunch up around you. A guardian would be more focused on targeted attacks and area denial - see Protea.

And if you want "bubbly" animations - there are ways of doing those without completely breaking the theme - I would say Wisp's ones come quite close to that.

Yareli is clearly just an attempt on DE's part to appeal to the wider Asian market (same as Zephyr's deluxe skin) - I just wish they tried to keep it within the game's theme (like Wukong and Nezha).

Speaking of... did anyone else notice that Yareli's story was really close to being a copy from Nezha's Leverian (with the exception that Nezha could actually handle himself in a fight)?

2 hours ago, Littlelosttank said:

Why is she so bad thanks to this anima thing when edge lord frames are very much a thing in both WF and anima, or why she does not fit the design theme of WF when I watched most praise DE for the creation of meat ball dad bod Grendal? 

I gringed and whence pretty hard when I saw Yareli ngl. She’s a Warframe that acts like a little girl, does goofy stuff, throws piece signs and water hearts, a bubble gum frame. When it’s well established lore Warframes were designed with the intentional purpose to push back the sentient threat as well as battle the Infested you know WARframes! Yareli doesn’t fit that kinda lore. And the rested animations (big eye roll) I guess the piece sign is Warframe lore now? 

1 hour ago, Reitrix said:

revealed her association with the Ventkids was that Yareli was probably created using a fairly young person as the base with the intent to put her to use as a guardian for Orokin children.

Well then she should have more of a vent kid aesthetic then. That said how exactly are the vent kids tied to the Orokin? Also as a guardian for the Orokin children? I mean I guess... but then she should have more of a shield theme or healer theme than that of a water theme.  

A small handful of people take games too seriously and literally. They think it's a human with morals and personality, hence why they think warframe "changed" or "is acting different" because Yareli was added.

They're not any different than old people that can't understand rap because it doesn't fit in the theme of what they feel music should be on moral and cultural level. 

2 hours ago, Littlelosttank said:

We have the edge lord crew, Garuda, Stalker, Sevegoth, frames no one had a problem with design wise even though they do quite easily fall into the other side of the anima coin.

Not joining the hate on Yareli, but I'm going to disagree on this one line

Ash, Garuda, Nekros, and Stalker really don't draw anything from "anime". Garuda might have a Buddhist name but she is based on Elizabeth Bathory, a Hungarian serial killer. Nekros isn't much of an "edgelord," he's a necromancer from Dungeons and Dragons. Stalker is based on French folklore (yes, the Revenant warframe is named after the same thing). Sevagoth is Davy Jones. Even Ash, the literal Japanese ninja with a shadow clone attack, really... really doesn't come across as "anime" to his fans. I'm not quite sure why. Might just be the lack of Naturo-running.

They all attracted edgelords, but DE weren't edgelords when they made them

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

A small handful of people take games too seriously and literally. They think it's a human with morals and personality, hence why they think warframe "changed" or "is acting different" because Yareli was added.

They're not any different than old people that can't understand rap because it doesn't fit in the theme of what they feel music should be on moral and cultural level. 

Do games have morals? No, not really. Do games have personality? Depends what you mean by "personality".

But games definitely do have themes. And Warframe's theme has been established a long time ago. And Yareli does not fit in it! And neither does the "Angel Wings" ephemera! Nor the "Transformers" Zephyr skin!

This complete break with the game's theme is not the only (or the worst) change DE have made to the game in recent years. But there is nothing wrong with people who have invested lots of time (and money) into this game voicing dissatisfaction with such a turn!

Personally, it's not so much the 'anime' theme as much as it's a specific anime theme.

Other frames like Valkyr, Ash, or Wukong often blend their themes, obfuscate it with visual cues from something else or are referencing something super ancient themselves. Namely, Valkyr is named after valkyries, plays like a berserker and looks like a cat. Ash is clearly a Ninja, but mixes it up with a scorpion/bug aesthetic. Wukong is based on Sun Wukong, who was a mythological figure even before he got himself entirely codified in the Journey to the West.

I have difficulty believing that the 'Genki Girl'  and 'Kawaii' Aesthetic managed to survive several thousand years almost completely intact when pretty much nothing else has in its original form.

Ballas probably had a thing for playful girly superhero at one point. She is spunky and full of life, but is also deadly (she can commit the act of killing, whether she is efficient at it is up for debate). Like water, giveth life and taketh away.

2 hours ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

Do games have morals? No, not really. Do games have personality? Depends what you mean by "personality".

But games definitely do have themes. And Warframe's theme has been established a long time ago. And Yareli does not fit in it! And neither does the "Angel Wings" ephemera! Nor the "Transformers" Zephyr skin!

This complete break with the game's theme is not the only (or the worst) change DE have made to the game in recent years. But there is nothing wrong with people who have invested lots of time (and money) into this game voicing dissatisfaction with such a turn!

You can still make your warframe, operator, and guns all pink. 

You can also put Khoras deluxe emotes on Rhino....for example.

27 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

You can still make your warframe, operator, and guns all pink. 

You can also put Khoras deluxe emotes on Rhino....for example.

Pink can be good camouflage if the entire environment you're working in is also pink! And there is a fair argument that emotes are expressions of the Operator's personality, not the Warframe's - hence making it reasonable to swap animation sets around.

But "Kawaii" is not a personality trait likely to apply to a thousands-year-old supersoldier who, as a child, lived through a hugely traumatic incident/experiment and then been forced to fight an inter-stellar war!

5 hours ago, Littlelosttank said:

"Edge Lords" simply dont exsist. This is a game in a setting about mass scale wars, demoralizing your enemy by striking fear into them may result in not needing to wipe them out, this saves resources, time and grants more slave labour or colonies. Or if you need to fight them still, their morale is likely so broken that their fighting spirit is gone, which results in lower combat potential etc.

The "dad bod" would likely do that very thing aswell, since what is more cruel that ending up inside the belly of a massive "demon" and get slowly digested to death? I mean, he is the embodiment of a neo-troll/ogre/demon. Just as Xaku's morbid near corpselike exterior does the same, not to mention when the Vast Untime is also activated, which makes them look like a walking glowing corpse.

Yareli wasnt designed as a happy-go-lucky frame to appeal to orokin children. She was controlled by a happy-go-lucky bubbly tenno that happened to help enslaved children. At a place which seems to be Venus, so well past the actual old war or the tenno rebellion.

And to answer the question. Because "edge lords" have a role to fullfill in a world of endless war, death and destruction. Yareli's kit concept and looks are all acceptable since they arent standing out as bubbly etc. They are simply water based, and there is nothing wrong with that. Her stances and the personality that goes with them are repulsive in my mind, especially in the WF setting. Luckily we can replace all that, replace her stances, alter her colors to look like a combat ready frame and ditch her #*!%ing fish-stick.

2 minutes ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

But "Kawaii" is not a personality trait likely to apply to a thousands-year-old supersoldier who, as a child, lived through a hugely traumatic incident/experiment and then been forced to fight an inter-stellar war!

If that was the case then no Warframe should have any personality besides Excalibur Umbra agile.

Remember in the sacrifice that it's mentioned that we take away the pain of the warframes, it's basically taking away all the torture now their original personalities stand out, playful, stoic, sexy, cute, mischievous...

13 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

If that was the case then no Warframe should have any personality besides Excalibur Umbra agile.

Remember in the sacrifice that it's mentioned that we take away the pain of the warframes, it's basically taking away all the torture now their original personalities stand out, playful, stoic, sexy, cute, mischievous...

But that applies to the first frames. We have knock off "clones" that show no sign of being alive. It is highly questionable if even the primes have any living side to them, since they are locked away in pieces in orokin caches.

Or are we all little void Mengele's cutting and slicing the living to midify and experiment on them as we see fit when we want to give them new skins or helmets etc? 

"Dont vorry my lizzle freund, I vill only cuz you a lizzle to gif you a nu skin ja!?"

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

But that applies to the first frames. We have knock off "clones" that show no sign of being alive. It is highly questionable if even the primes have any living side to them, since they are locked away in pieces in orokin caches.

Or are we all little void Mengele's cutting and slicing the living to midify and experiment on them as we see fit when we want to give them new skins or helmets etc? 

"Dont vorry my lizzle freund, I vill only cuz you a lizzle to gif you a nu skin ja!?"

Well they all had to go through the process at one point before being mass produced, they all probably come calm already (with the exception of Umbra which never had an operator to do it)

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

it's basically taking away all the torture now their original personalities stand out

The quest mentions the warframes finding peace, it does not say anything about their original personalities. Since operators control (almost) everything a warframe does, the personalities are likely theirs too.

Note that this does not contradict having different personalities in different frames: there is likely to be an effect similar to how bilingual people sometimes have slightly different personalities depending on which of the languages they are speaking (switching bodies is likely to have a more profound effect than just switching languages).

38 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

playful, stoic, sexy, cute, mischievous...

The personalities are indeed very different, but they do have one thing in common: they are all grown-up personalities! Being experimented on as a child and then living for thousands of years fighting in an endless war will do that to you! "Kawaii" (the Japanese fad) is the opposite of being grown up - hence it does not fit the theme.

Archived