Yareli and the 'anime' coin confusion

On 2021-07-12 at 1:56 PM, (NSW)notyetawizard said:

Listen y'all. Limbo is still sitting at rank 13 in my arsenal because I can't stomach looking like a magician for more than 15 minutes at a time.

There are much bigger asethetic problems to concern yourselves with than Yareli being cute!

Whilst I certainly grant that Limbo is probably also further, I would argue he still falls into the categories of 'blended themes'. Plus he manages to pull off being 'inhuman' a lot better, which is also a pretty big part of the aesthetic.

For the former, he has vibes of being a stage magician, but also toys with Baron Samedi's aesthetic, and his lore positions him more as a mad scientist. He's not 'just' a stage magician, it's only one layer of his design. Probably the most substantial layer, to be sure, especially since he has a literal 'magic circle', but unlike Yareli who's a direct pop-culture injection, Limbo has a little more to him that ties him into the aesthetic of the Warframe universe.

For the second, well... his head literally splits open whenever he takes off his 'hat'. There's the classic Warframe uncanny valley right there.

Limbo's surely not the apex of Warframe's design aesthetic, but I'd say he fits a lot better than Yareli.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, (PSN)JustJoshinEnt said:
  Hide contents

You DO realize that Tenno ARE all children, right?

you DO realise Tenno are really quite old (even if you disregard the time they spent sleeping)?

While their bodies indeed stopped aging when they were children, the outward appearance of their bodies really doesn't matter much - especially to beings who spends most of their time controlling other bodies!

On 2021-07-12 at 5:37 PM, Littlelosttank said:

Quite true. Granted sexy is something most don't mind lol

Sexy is great, up to the point where the sexy part turns to cringe since the behavior of that sexy thing turns into a 12 year old little girl.

There is a reason why law enforcement tends to find massive amounts of certain hentai and anime along with explicit child images on the hard drives of suspected pedophiles.

I'm not saying that is the intent of DE, I'm simply saying that the body language of someone like Yareli is a total turn off since it goes from coolwierd looking bride-like death machine to a child in a skimpy princess outfit. It is one of those things you cannot unsee after you've seen it.

edit: Maybe Yareli's design purpose was to catch a predator?

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 2

Of the many issues I take with Yareli, her anime visuals are not among them. Given that we already have frames themed around faeries, punching, and gluttony, I don't think an anime surfer girl is all that out of place, and I think her animation sets are perfect for adding cutesy or comical flair to our frames. At worst, I dislike how the water theme on her makes Hydroid even more obsolete on a thematic level in addition to his mechanical shortcomings, but otherwise I don't think she's any more out of place in Warframe than any other frame.

43 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

Of the many issues I take with Yareli, her anime visuals are not among them. Given that we already have frames themed around faeries, punching, and gluttony, I don't think an anime surfer girl is all that out of place, and I think her animation sets are perfect for adding cutesy or comical flair to our frames. At worst, I dislike how the water theme on her makes Hydroid even more obsolete on a thematic level in addition to his mechanical shortcomings, but otherwise I don't think she's any more out of place in Warframe than any other frame.

You see but punching fits the Grimdark aesthetic of warframes grimy biomechanical look, its also greatly thematic and deep because when you think of rock, you think wow, punch. Gluttony is actually really fitting because its like in depth, you know that one quote "these corpus remind me of the orokin, selfish, greedy", grendel is actually like a poem written by ballas as a self commentary on orokin society, this is also why sexy grendel is actually a theorised in lore phenomena as rebel art criticising the chains the orokin put on society. Yareli is another astonishing tale to be unwoven, through my deep reading of the stug codex entry it can be implied that ballas found the old earth relic "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper" which inspired him to create a more freely expressive warframe.

• Like 1

My own headcanon towards this is that Yareli is probably a very old design and was one of the early frames used for transference by the tenno, before the war. At some point she was then upgraded for combat but the original probably wasn't made with that in mind and instead was made to appear friendly towards the traumatized kids. That whole appearance and such just stuck around when she was upgraded to help tenno morale or whatever.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Kill Bill Vol 1. Black mamba vs Gogo Yubari. She's a badahh girl with a razor lined chain ball, that also giggles like a school girl.

Exactly! I see her as sadistic, not cute. Same with Octavia. 

On 2021-07-12 at 8:56 AM, (NSW)notyetawizard said:

Listen y'all. Limbo is still sitting at rank 13 in my arsenal because I can't stomach looking like a magician for more than 15 minutes at a time.

There are much bigger asethetic problems to concern yourselves with than Yareli being cute!

I avoided limbo completely until they released that skin that gets rid of the magician look. I just couldn't stand the fact that he was wearing a suit with pointed tip shoes. IMO he has been the worst offender of Warframe design. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Sexy is great, up to the point where the sexy part turns to cringe since the behavior of that sexy thing turns into a 12 year old little girl.

There is a reason why law enforcement tends to find massive amounts of certain hentai and anime along with explicit child images on the hard drives of suspected pedophiles.

I'm not saying that is the intent of DE, I'm simply saying that the body language of someone like Yareli is a total turn off since it goes from coolwierd looking bride-like death machine to a child in a skimpy princess outfit. It is one of those things you cannot unsee after you've seen it.

edit: Maybe Yareli's design purpose was to catch a predator?

Lol I can understand that angle too, but it's also just about being and feeling like a "powerful kid": a strong person with the innocence and naivete of a child. We're all forced to grow up and be a serious adult concerned about much bigger things, but the notion of a strong warrior that is so powerful that even fighting is a joke....it's a worthwhile premise I think.

Goku was the strongest guy in his universe, but when he wasn't fighting, he was a dumb goofy dude that you'd probably call incompetent if you met him on first glance (ignoring his physical appearance lol; muscles).

• Like 3

On 2021-07-12 at 4:43 PM, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

If you want someone/something to be a guardian to children, mobility and "spinning blades of death" do not seem like sensible powers to give them. Running away and slashing everything around you sound like really bad ways of protecting targets that can't run very fast and will try to bunch up around you. A guardian would be more focused on targeted attacks and area denial - see Protea.

And if you want "bubbly" animations - there are ways of doing those without completely breaking the theme - I would say Wisp's ones come quite close to that.

Yareli is clearly just an attempt on DE's part to appeal to the wider Asian market (same as Zephyr's deluxe skin) - I just wish they tried to keep it within the game's theme (like Wukong and Nezha).

Speaking of... did anyone else notice that Yareli's story was really close to being a copy from Nezha's Leverian (with the exception that Nezha could actually handle himself in a fight)?

I'd like to point out that being a Guardian of children doesn't necessarily mean a group of children all at once. Much like how Protea was given as a bodyguard for an individual, Yareli could well have come about to protect a specific child. 

You may not have noticed but Aquablades have a deadzone inside the effect. It's more like a donut, things that are close enough to hug Yareli can't be hit by the blades. 

A non aggressive appearance. Sea Snares to trap pursuers. Merulina as an escape vehicle that protects those on board. A spinning ring of death with a safe space on the inside. A targeted vacuum blast to remove obstacles ahead. Empowered secondary weapons.

Her kit seems purpose built to get an individual to safety. 

But that's all theory. It makes sense in my head for a frame to exist whose purpose was to protect a VIP rather that directly fight. So that's just my headcanon for why she is the way she is until DE decide to give her a full backstory.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

She does fight an... Older not so handsome looking guy in the comic 👀

Yep that was what I was thinking aswell.

58 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Lol I can understand that angle too, but it's also just about being and feeling like a "powerful kid": a strong person with the innocence and naivete of a child. We're all forced to grow up and be a serious adult concerned about much bigger things, but the notion of a strong warrior that is so powerful that even fighting is a joke....it's a worthwhile premise I think.

Goku was the strongest guy in his universe, but when he wasn't fighting, he was a dumb goofy dude that you'd probably call incompetent if you met him on first glance (ignoring his physical appearance lol; muscles).

Oh I definently have nothing against the "powerful kid" thing. It is just how that childlike side presents itself in Yareli through her emotes combined with her appearance. Octavia is a fine example of someone with a more careless attitude that still fits the adult stature of her appearance. Fighting is second nature to her, so she might aswell get down with the groove aswell and get some jig done. With Yareli it just gets me thinking of the song Jailbait.

• Like 1

On 2021-07-11 at 10:35 PM, Littlelosttank said:

Not entirely sure how to word it so this might be a tad blunt 

I don't understand the hate towards Yareli and her animations. I keep reading how she's too anima or does not fit warframes design style yet most of the time its either her states or.... just her bubbly happy feel. Is a positive emotion on display not linked to morbid or cruel intent so terrible? 

We have the edge lord crew, Garuda, Stalker, Sevegoth, frames no one had a problem with design wise even though they do quite easily fall into the other side of the anima coin. We have Xaku and Grendal who don't even really fit warframe lore at all in how a frames made/created/designed. No one looks at a 'dad bod' and thinks "That's a good super unit design." after all. 

From what I can tell Yareli is a frame designed to appeal to the children of the Orokin era. Bring some joy to the young minds with how she behaves and in general be a pleasant yet deadly when needed asset. A super hero for them to look up too they relate and understand. She might be a bit silly here and there like when she summons her board sits on it then falls down when it poofs, this easily fits in with her appealing to the little ones she likely was designed to operate around. Sevegoth was not designed with handling or being around children, nor is Garuda, though all in general designed to still be killing machines however with different mission profiles. 

Garuda, demoralize the enemy, Sevegoth, basically the grim reaper/rescue in space/void space, Yareli protect children while forming a bond with them and give them a bright point in a world of death and gloom. 

Her states are another topic though. Her animations.... I don't see the problem with considering whats already in the game some of which has been for a long, long time. 

Why is she so bad thanks to this anima thing when edge lord frames are very much a thing in both WF and anima, or why she does not fit the design theme of WF when I watched most praise DE for the creation of meat ball dad bod Grendal? 

I feel like it's a non-issue. She deviates from a lot of the previously established style and aesthetic, sure, but so do other 'frames like Grendel or, to a degree, Wisp. Nothing wrong with that. It's also fine for people not to happen to like her aesthetic, but we don't all have to like the aesthetic of every single 'frame. That's the beauty of beauty - it's subjective. If someone doesn't like her, they don't have to play her, and if they really hate her aesthetic, they can play solo, at which point they only risk seeing her briefly in relays. I say this as an aesthetic snob who does play solo and tries to keep the game experience as blandly Orokin as possible, by the way.

• Like 2

an·i·ma
/ˈanəmə/
See definitions in:
All

Psychology

Philosophy
noun

1. 1.
    PSYCHOANALYSIS
    (in Jungian psychology) the feminine part of a man's personality.
    •  

2. 2.
    HISTORICALPHILOSOPHY
    the soul, especially the irrational part of the soul as distinguished from the rational mind.

since i do not think that is the term OP reffer to, maybe its best to go and see the diffrance between what anime is, and what is being kiddy and cute and crap is since that is how i see her, as energetic girl with too much energy throwing out hearts.

Edited by BloodKitten
  • Like 1

On 2021-07-14 at 12:51 AM, (NSW)Larena said:

Ugh, cant believe they had the GALL to make a Warframe do a peace sign. How am I supposed to take Yareli seriously when she does this?E6PA_UHWEAI8CRR?format=jpg&name=900x900

Still cringe. 

On 2021-07-14 at 5:23 AM, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Kill Bill Vol 1. Black mamba vs Gogo Yubari. She's a badahh girl with a razor lined chain ball, that also giggles like a school girl.

But we didn’t get that. We got bubbles, giggling while she falls on her butt..teehee and piece sign. Lol cringe 

edit: the wave (shutter) oh that cringe wave. 

Edited by (XBOX)YoungGunn82
  • Like 2

I dont know honestly what to think, both of my daughters squealed with delight when they saw her so obviously she attracts younger players and some groups that she probably should not be attracting.

However watching her animations alone makes me wonder if her tenno is perhaps much more younger than the others .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, (NSW)Larena said:

It's really funny that your name is Young Gunn when you're clearly a boomer

Whats really funny is how a hipster has any idea of what a Young Gun is. Because clearly you don’t have a clue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Whats really funny is how a hipster has any idea of what a Young Gun is. Because clearly you don’t have a clue. 

I gotta ask since I've always wondered. Is your name a reference to/inspired by the people in the awesome movie(s) with the line "Yoohoo! I'll make you famous."?

• Like 1

I wouldn't put too much stock in the complaints, OP; forums always have a negativity bias.  There are a minority of players who for whatever reason don't like things that are either cute or anime or whatever labels they want to put on it, and I'm sure they have their own reasons for it.  But it's not worth wracking your brain to try to convince them otherwise.

Yareli's face.

Those four blank staring soulless eyes, that lunatic grin and huge chin!

She's like a nightmare clown or something.

I fed her to Helminth as soon as I finished levelling her.

6 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

I gotta ask since I've always wondered. Is your name a reference to/inspired by the people in the awesome movie(s) with the line "Yoohoo! I'll make you famous."?

The movie called Young Guns 1 and 2 about Billy the kid and the Regulators? Yes my name is I’m reference to those legendary movies! 🙂

“Yooo hoo?! I’ll make ya famous.” was a line from Young Guns 2. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

The movie called Young Guns 1 and 2 about Billy the kid and the Regulators? Yes my name is I’m reference to those legendary movies! 🙂

“Yooo hoo?! I’ll make ya famous.” was a line from Young Guns 2. 

Awesome! Those are two of my favorite movies! It also fits so well with the Mesa glyph!

That line has been etched into my head since I was a kid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

Awesome! Those are two of my favorite movies! It also fits so well with the Mesa glyph!

That line has been etched into my head since I was a kid.

And Billy’s top hat he wears in those movies I like to think Mesa Prime’s alt Prime helm is a good like-ness to it, kinda a Orokin Prime version.  Just wish I could toggle those chaps off. We’d be gtg. 

• Like 2

I really don't mind Yareli at all, if only thing I find a little egregious, is the heart bubbles through her animations (although the animations themselves are whatever imo). I think it's actually good that we have a variety of presentation for characters within this game. Having everybody act serious, brutish, and edgy would just make everything feel the same. Not that you *could* have a 40+ character game with everyone acting like that, but I would imagine it being challenging in order to do so. It's like with Guilty Gear where clearly most characters have a serious slant to them, but then you have someone like Faust to remind you that "oh right, we're supposed to have some fun".

Honestly, I just find it interesting that Yareli has a similar backstory of Nezha in which they are basically both guardians to children in some way. In fact... they almost have similar themes of movement, allusions to roller blades of some kind, have complete polar opposite elements- now that you think about it, these two would practically be best buddies.

• Like 1

• Littlelosttank changed the title to Yareli and the 'anime' coin confusion