Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There Is Only One Melee Weapon In This Game.

Nenesse

The existence of the Galatine makes every other melee weapon in my Arsenal meaningless, except as ways to knowingly handicap myself because they look cool.

I don't have an Acrid so I'm not supposed to say anything about how there's only one pistol in this game. I also don't have a Mag, but I *am* working on building my first Warframe.

Edited by Nenesse

There are different weapons for different play styles for different kind of missions...

To equip the weapon with highest average damage doesn't mean you are going to do the best possible damage in every situation.

Sometimes you can equip a lower damage weapon and get better result (for example dual zorens for mobility), because this is all

about doing different combinations for different situations.

If you cant see it, then maybe you should not use full Narrow Minded. lol,. jk.

If the galantine was single, or dual target instead of three then it would be very balanced relative to other weapons. 

IF.

Also, I wasn't aware that the Orthos was any good for normal attacks. I figured Kogake was the one for that, with its crit chance.

Orthos, Fragor, Gram, Reaper, etc. are now basically Galatines except strictly worse.

Edited by Nenesse

Well, I don't say Galatine is the only melee weapon, but I agree majority of melee weapons are useless. Who use long swords against lvl 100+ enemies? Weren't we supposed to get overhaul of long swords long time ago?

I kind of hate the Galatine. It's slow and looks god-awful when I equip it on smaller frames like Nova and Mag.

I can also kill 100 enemies with charge attacks from my Dual Cleavers or Kogake long before I can get off one with the Galatine.

that's a serious l2p issue lol (take it easy)

The new Machete Wraith is pretty good for normal hits with decent base and armor ignore on top of that (Orthos Prime has higher base, but no armor ignore). It is not something I would grab when I need to kill high-level heavy enemies in a single hit, but it is something which is extremely effective against many lesser enemies.

I kind of hate the Galatine. It's slow and looks god-awful when I equip it on smaller frames like Nova and Mag.

I can also kill 100 enemies with charge attacks from my Dual Cleavers or Kogake long before I can get off one with the Galatine.

I would definitely recommend the following mods:

* Reflex Coil

* Focus Energy

* Fury (speeds up the swing itself after the charge, and the swing itself is also pretty slow, helps a lot to speed it up)

* Reach (Galatine already has a long reach, why not even more to fully utilize that 5 target limit?)

Even though none of these actually contribute with any extra damage, the attack speed it gives is worth it in my opinion as it will still one-shot most stuff (including heavies) even in somewhat mid level survival (approx level 120).

If you only have level 50 enemies or lower, you are way better off with any other weapon which can do great damage (Hate, Orthos, Scindo, Dual Heat Swords) as the Galatine is a bit of a waste (and a tad bit too slow) for that.

The new Machete Wraith is pretty good for normal hits with decent base and armor ignore on top of that (Orthos Prime has higher base, but no armor ignore). It is not something I would grab when I need to kill high-level heavy enemies in a single hit, but it is something which is extremely effective against many lesser enemies.

* Reflex Coil

* Focus Energy

* Fury (speeds up the swing itself after the charge, and the swing itself is also pretty slow, helps a lot to speed it up)

* Reach (Galatine already has a long reach, why not even more to fully utilize that 5 target limit?)

Even though none of these actually contribute with any extra damage, the attack speed it gives is worth it in my opinion as it will still one-shot most stuff (including heavies) even in somewhat mid level survival (approx level 120).

If you only have level 50 enemies or lower, you are way better off with any other weapon which can do great damage (Hate, Orthos, Scindo, Dual Heat Swords) as the Galatine is a bit of a waste (and a tad bit too slow) for that.

I have it fully moded, and yes it does one-shot most enemies, but I just find it really boring to use. Even with a maxed fury, reflex coil, and focus energy I just feel like it's too slow imo. I agree it's powerful, I'm just saying that it's not the only viable melee weapon in the game.

I have it fully moded, and yes it does one-shot most enemies, but I just find it really boring to use. Even with a maxed fury, reflex coil, and focus energy I just feel like it's too slow imo. I agree it's powerful, I'm just saying that it's not the only viable melee weapon in the game.

Yup, totally agree on the fact that it is not the only useful melee weapon. I love heavy melee weapons, and Galatine is definitely a very good one, but is far from the only useful heavy melee.

Sadly a few other melee weapons are lacking (not just heavy weapons), either because they are too similar (both in behaviour and stats) or just bad in comparison with others which behave the same.

I feel kinda bad for repeating this, but, Armor 2.0 will probably help there as they have a few additional variables to use in diversifying the melee weapons.

Orthos / Orthos Prime has greater range than Galatine for sure, even with both toting a reach mod.

Zorens have the best mobility.

But Fang Prime and Dual Ichor offer a little less mobility but high damage to go along.

Pity that they are both good vs armored only targets though (no x3 bonus against fleshy infested).

But yeah you can get away with a lot of content with the Galatine.

* Reflex Coil

* Focus Energy

I've got all of those and it's still painfully slow compared to other weapons. 

Maybe that's just me. 

There are different weapons for different play styles for different kind of missions...

To equip the weapon with highest average damage doesn't mean you are going to do the best possible damage in every situation.

Sometimes you can equip a lower damage weapon and get better result (for example dual zorens for mobility), because this is all

about doing different combinations for different situations.

If you cant see it, then maybe you should not use full Narrow Minded. lol,. jk.

Actualy there aren't that many weapons that are actualy suited for playerstyles since more than 2/3rd of all melee weapons are utterly useless because of the damage assigned to them which makes most of them weaker than a gun including in melee.

Most of the time you see someone using melee they either hack away on an enemy for what feels like hours when using normal strikes (especialy sad with new players with their horrible Skana), or if they are smarter they use the much more effective charge attacks. But the later is what leaves us mostly with a handfull of usefull weapons mostly dual and heavy melee weapons. Of the later it's the Galatine which is the best at the moment, simply for being the weapon closest to being able to one-hit kill enemies past level 50.

The thing is, melee in shooters, what ever they are TPS or FPS, are usaly high risk - high reward types of attacks, which reward players with going into melee range by being able to release a deadly close combat attack that can usualy kill enemies in one or two hits. Therefor being a difficult but usefull alternate form of attack, or a great emergency system.

Hell, that's even how melee is presented in the trailers! I mean look at how Excal in the first is slashing every enemy appart in two or three hits with his Skana. Try that ingame on Earth or especialy Ceres where Krill is and show me an Excal two hit killing Grineer with normal slashes.

You can't because the melee system is a mess that follows a damage output reigned by the ranged weapons. Instead of melee weapons standing above them in terms of damage we have swords that deal less damage per strike than most weapons per fired bullet.

An unmodded Braton can deal 20 damage 11 times in 1 second, a Skana can deal 25 damage one time in 1 second. That's a 220 damage compared to 25. Even with a charged attack you are still only at 75 damage for 2 seconds.

This is where the Galatine comes in and feels soooo satisfying because you suddently can kill enemies with a single melee attack. Something feels completely right, since most shooters have use deal massive damage in melee and we have become used to that.

It's an irony that a game centered around the concept of Space Ninja, which give us a buttload of melee weapons is so terribly damping it's own melee system with terrible damage output.

One of the devs said during one of the past livestreams that they didn't want the game to be Devil May Cry in space, but that raises the question why they give use so many different looking melee weapons to beginn with if they don't want us to use them more? It's a paradox of ideas conflicting with purpose.

In end, people who play this game don't choose melee weapons for different missions, they choose them for style.

PS: I don't even like the Galatine. I find it too comical large on most frames with the blade clipping into the ground and i prefer my Gram.

Edited by Othergrunty