Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Voice Actors; Patton Oswalt, Danny Trejo, Jemaine Clement

PosieKing

Every year when they do the Audio event in TennoCon I wonder why they dont budget for a voice actor.

I dont want them to recast everyone as some crazy big name, but I think there's room for Patton Oswalt to do 10 lines for an NPC during a nightwave event, or Danny Trejo to voice a grineer soldier, or Jemain Clement to voice someone in a once yearly event on Fortuna. I just heard Jemaine doing the ad/intro on steam for D&D Dark Alliance, which is coming off as a mediocre "mixed reviews" 3D beatemup. These guys are ready to show up, do 10 lines, and cash a check, and I think if you slotted them into once yearly event NPCs, new players could reencounter them every year, and you'd really stretch your value proposition. With the right lines, you could instantly create another beloved classic NPC, like Clem.

21 minutes ago, PosieKing said:

Patton Oswalt

not a voice actor

Danny Trejo

not a voice actor

Jemain Clement

not a voice actor

why do people want established actors to take away jobs from actual voice actors? is it because they don't know that voice actor is a real job that exists?

So, if you're a massive pedant, apparently if you do voice acting work, but you ALSO do acting work, you are not technically a voice actor.

A thing which is totally irrelevant to this post.

But your point about taking work away from REAL voice actors, is also a huge waste of breath, because there is no such thing as a REAL whatever job. People who are hired to do work, do work, and receive pay. Sorry your career isnt taking off because C-listers keep taking your jobs. Better your jobs be stolen by Tara Strong and Tress MacNeille.

Kinda agree with rawbeard while they can do voice "lines" they really arnt voice actors. Voice actors usually when they are casted do multiple characters at once unless they a main role. Even then they usually play 3 or 4 side roles in a different voice. Hollywood actors are typically casted to do their normal voice for promotional appeal with their name recognition. The difference in talent for "voice acting" is monumental though some people like Morgan Freeman has naturally pleasing voices and good picks. Though they may be voice "acting" for a role they are not technically real voice actors of the same profession.

Good example of this is djs vs musicians. Both can can play drums and the dj may be able to do more with the same sound/voiceline but if they cant actually play drums they are more music artist then a real musician.

You tell patton oswalt not to sound like himself for 2 paragraphs hes gonna struggle where as a real voice actor could prolly do the same thing in a male or female voice. (Fun fact most cartoons you grew up with like pokemon are gender swaped actors like ash ketchum who was played by a woman.)

Ray Chase, Grey DeLisle, Faye Mata, Joe Zieja, Matt Mercer, Nolan North, Johnny Young Bosch and lord knows how many others are legit VAs with years of experience. I know we've probably heard them hundreds of times over at this point, but they're selected for a reason. That's not to say that it wouldn't be amusing to have Trejo or even Nathan Fillion for the heck of it. Raul Tejada & Cayde-6 are neat in their own right, but we're hardly even scratching the surface when it comes to issues regarding the voice acting.

It honestly doesn't matter who does the voiceover, so long as the direction is substantial & they have plenty of material to work with. The most recent case of botched direction came from Vala Glarios, who takes about a few seconds between every single word to complete a sentence. The VA seems talented, but the direction is just too choppy. The game already has a problem with overused lines, there's only so many times Ordis can prattle on about cosmic background radiation until it becomes grating.  It's rather telling when a game has multiple voice volume adjustment options. Variety in lines and better direction stand as bigger issues that need to be resolved for the time being.

• 1 month later...

Archived