Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lorewise why are sentients so weak in the gameplay clip? A single generic Lancer mowed down an entire group with a grakata and basic machete

(PSN)GingyGreen

28 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Doesn't that just lend more credence to the idea that common Sentients aren't all that? One was killed with a shovel, a shovel that it could eventually have built resistances to.

Wait. This account is referring to a sentient attack? I always thought this lore took place during the Tenno Uprising. It was a warframe that was injured using a shovel.

...at least that's how I interpreted it.

4 hours ago, (PSN)GingyGreen said:

Also, YAY we can finally see events in the point of view of generic Crewmen and Lancers! Hope this is a thing going forward. I've love to play as a Scorpion or Manic.

Still, I feel like it'd be better if you were accompanied by a squad of AI controlled Lancers and Ballistas so it's not just one generic Lancer mowing down all the Sentients, even if weaker ones.

Although with S#&$ going down like that you'd think they'd deploy a few Liches

It’s because he’s a master of kahl of duty

4 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Kahl knows how to mod

I don't think its got anything to do with lore, simply gameplay feel. It wouldn't be fun to shoot an enemy for 5 minutes with an underpowered weapon, so they're balanced for that type of combat. Only reason sentients are so tanky in-game now is because the Tenno are overpowered killing machines and they wouldn't seem like a threat otherwise.

14 minutes ago, xcrimsonlegendx said:

I don't think its got anything to do with lore, simply gameplay feel. It wouldn't be fun to shoot an enemy for 5 minutes with an underpowered weapon, so they're balanced for that type of combat. Only reason sentients are so tanky in-game now is because the Tenno are overpowered killing machines and they wouldn't seem like a threat otherwise.

It'd be fun to mow down the sentients in an A-Team firing consisting of your generic controlled Lancers alongside an entire squad of others though.

Then as the quest progesses your squad slowly gets picked off while other more advanced members join in.

There are so many obvious ways to get around the problem you pose.

1 minute ago, (PSN)GingyGreen said:

It'd be fun to mow down the sentients in an A-Team firing consisting of your generic controlled Lancers alongside an entire squad of others though.

Then as the quest progesses your squad slowly gets picked off while other more advanced members join in.

There are so many obvious ways to get around the problem you pose.

Sounds good on paper but the last thing anyone wants to do in warframe is rely on inconsistent AI for your ability to progress though a mission.

29 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

For the exact same reason Yamcha can trash Ultra Instinct Goku in DBZ games: Gameplay supersedes lore. 

lol! Yamcha, trashing Goku? Only in video games :crylaugh:

Animated GIF

Maybe Kahl-175 is actually level 175,000? That would explain him mowing down sentients.

Though heavily damaged by the Sentient ship, the Unums tower wasnt completely written off. Perhaps the Unum has intervened somehow and weakened the Sentients inside the plains just enough to allow weaker weapons and non-void damage types to be more effective against the sentients?

Or maybe Erra was toying with people and checking to see who had the qualities he wants to assimilate into hybrid sentient beings, seeing who had the will to continue on even when things were at their bleakest.

I do see the point, grineer are by no means strong, but at the same time some are pretty resilient, they are geneticly degrading but also enhanced, it possible Kahl had a higher resistance to damage and slightly higher intelligence, seeing as he's the one suggesting to feed himself to the sentient. And if he was more intelligent he would also possibly have greater modding capabilities.

These sentients could possibly just be fragments, no reason to bring a tank to crush a few ants

Additionally I hope they make something similar to replace the weekly "help clem" mission

I think it's a matter of perspective, really.

We're pretty darn powerful - legions and armies and ship crews are basically bowled over en masse as we basically plow through literally everything to get to where we're going. Most defenses aren't really to stop us, they're to slow us down long enough for something to happen. Kill the prisoners - then maybe the Warframes will leave. Purge all data - it's not worth it, they will win otherwise. Send the clones into the meat grinder. Just turn off all life support. Strategies employed against us are desperate

But in a more "regular" situation (as in, not fighting what surmounts to an Unkillable Void Demon powered by Space Magic), like here, we get to see how formidable the troops we cut through like butter actually are. The Grineer are madly devoted and have pretty hefty ballistics. The Corpus have a near inexhaustible supply of robots. The Dax... well, they were always pretty badass, from what I've gained. The more evil factions clearly couldn't have seized so much power with an army of weaklings - we are just even stronger. That's what makes us so special... and feared. Can imagine things not starting off great when we meet our possible new friends. 

It's also important to consider: The Grineer, Corpus and system as we know it did not exist the last time the Sentients attacked. They are using sheer numbers and oppressive firepower as they play their cards: the ability to adapt to anything. They clearly have a strategy in play - they're capturing the Grineer in those energy pod things, and overriding the automatic systems governing the Corpus Proxies - but for now, they're still too foreign. And yet still, we see how effective their attacks are against each faction as well. Kahl basically was lucky to grab that Corinth Prime as that single Conculyst was impaling other troops, one by one. That Thumper, which normally are huge pains for us to hanle, basically is swatted right out of the sky. Alad's basically resorted to selling himself out to the Sentients in a desperate hope they might still remember him from the "merger" he got unwillingly trapped in - the only real strategy he has. 

It's an even battle. It's just that both sides are basically ravaging each other with equal force. Sentients are being shattered, but so are ships being torn apart, and armies massacred. 

The bad guys are strong. It's just that we're usually so much stronger. 

And this is why I'm so thrilled about this quest. We get to see how these guys aren't pushovers normally. We get to see how they fight, how they see things, who their commands are. We get to see the "bad guys" in their moment. 

6 hours ago, (PSN)GingyGreen said:

Also, YAY we can finally see events in the point of view of generic Crewmen and Lancers! Hope this is a thing going forward. I've love to play as a Scorpion or Manic.

Still, I feel like it'd be better if you were accompanied by a squad of AI controlled Lancers and Ballistas so it's not just one generic Lancer mowing down all the Sentients, even if weaker ones.

Sir you have absolutely no idea what level Kahl is or what mods he’s using. A level 2999 Lancer could punk sentients xD 

1 hour ago, Giantconch said:

Though heavily damaged by the Sentient ship, the Unums tower wasnt completely written off. Perhaps the Unum has intervened somehow and weakened the Sentients inside the plains just enough to allow weaker weapons and non-void damage types to be more effective against the sentients?

Or maybe Erra was toying with people and checking to see who had the qualities he wants to assimilate into hybrid sentient beings, seeing who had the will to continue on even when things were at their bleakest.

Wait was that what he was doing when he said not to be afraid?

Il y a 6 heures, (PSN)GingyGreen a dit :

while the red light appear on Kahl i was thinking about liche coming up or he become a liche but no, it was the completly "not" scarry Erra (°-°')

Lore-wise, I don't recall anything explicitly said that mentioned the Sentient foot soldiers being particularly hard to kill. We know the Orokin initially struggled against them, because they were so high tech, and the Sentients basically hacked them. Can't shoot your plasma gun if the software just refuses to fire.  Even the bomb the 157 carried clearly was digital in some way and not mechanical, allowing Erra to just deactivate it. 

But other than that? Ballistics have always been good against them, and the Old War feasibly could have been won by the Orokin because the Sentients were running out of manpower (they couldn't reproduce after they made the jump to our system). Warframes were so effective because aside from being one man armies, they were also disposable one man armies. Destroy a warframe? A new one is crafted and ready to go in an instant, and it's operator (dreamer) is not at all harmed.

Kill a sentient drone? That's a fragment of the main body that isn't coming back, at least, not until they get some Kuva into their system.

9 minutes ago, Aimop95 said:

Lore-wise, I don't recall anything explicitly said that mentioned the Sentient foot soldiers being particularly hard to kill. We know the Orokin initially struggled against them, because they were so high tech, and the Sentients basically hacked them. Can't shoot your plasma gun if the software just refuses to fire.  Even the bomb the 157 carried clearly was digital in some way and not mechanical, allowing Erra to just deactivate it. 

But other than that? Ballistics have always been good against them, and the Old War feasibly could have been won by the Orokin because the Sentients were running out of manpower (they couldn't reproduce after they made the jump to our system). Warframes were so effective because aside from being one man armies, they were also disposable one man armies. Destroy a warframe? A new one is crafted and ready to go in an instant, and it's operator (dreamer) is not at all harmed.

Kill a sentient drone? That's a fragment of the main body that isn't coming back, at least, not until they get some Kuva into their system.

Taking casualties, after all, does not mean you're failing to accomplish your overall strategic goal. It's entirely possible to absorb massively more casualties than your opponent and still be victorious.

Killing a million Sentients only for them to be replaced by ten million more would not translate to making headway.

I'd say it's more that the level system doesn't exist in the scheme of the lore. There's a modding station in the orbiter, weapon mods are mentioned in dialogue, but our modding system is heavily abstracted to interact with how level scaling operates. Stats scaling with levels has always been a big source of ludonarrative dissonance. For example, there's nothing special about a level 120 Lancer's body armor that makes it way better than a level 20's.

You have to consider a few things ,

1) kahl rarely fights any of the tougher sentients.

2) we don't know the relative level of kahl and the sentients. A level 50 grineer could match up against a level 5 sentient.

3) we are on the plains of eidolons (apparently) maybe the proximity to the unum is interfering with their adaptation somehow.

4) Lore power rarely translates well into gameplay power. So beat to take any gameplay with a grain of salt.

Archived