Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross-Play & Cross-Save Megathread - The Soonening(TM)/Public Test Edition

Letter13

Any one on console concerned with plat pollution? We don't have a big problem with stolen plat.  Will we be able to distinguish the players platform of choice we are trading with?  Personally considering not trading with any accounts that have less than some TBD hours played/MR rank to reduce risk of trading with a burner account.  

I don't know how big an issue it really is on PC - although I have a few hundred hours on my PC account (that I haven't touched in a well over a year) I never really traded much on it.

• Like 1

i 100% HATE this idea.

i dont want anything to do with cross anything.

all this means is a direct downgrade for pc players. right off the bat...now well have to wait weeks for updates while they get certs from 3 separate places.

no thanks.

Edited by cha0sWyrM

If they implement the cross-platform I think they will do something to differentiate the accounts pretty much like they do in the forum something like (PC)Name and (Xbox)Name, so you get to keep both accounts. But that would be the case with cross-play, if they do cross-save then I guess we'll have to choose which platform's progress we want to keep.

I'm thinking about changing the email address on my PC account just to avoid any overwritten data. I've been playing on Xbox for a year now so I would like to keep that one, I don't care too much about my PC account.

1 hour ago, cha0sWyrM said:

all this means is a direct downgrade for pc players. right off the bat...now well have to wait weeks for updates while they get certs from 3 separate places.

That's a pretty big "if" and I doubt that DE will operate that way. Us PC players are the beta-testers, I don't imagine that will change except for their special event updates like how they did with Sistaz of Parvos on all platforms.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Tucker D Dawg said:

Any one on console concerned with plat pollution? We don't have a big problem with stolen plat.  Will we be able to distinguish the players platform of choice we are trading with?  Personally considering not trading with any accounts that have less than some TBD hours played/MR rank to reduce risk of trading with a burner account.  

I don't know how big an issue it really is on PC - although I have a few hundred hours on my PC account (that I haven't touched in a well over a year) I never really traded much on it.

I'm worried about this too. Fake plat (and defaulted payment plat) is more prevalent on PC than on other platforms, consoles are more secure because they have to get their plat through their service provider.

It could be that DE already has a solution in place. You know how DE was denying any possiblility of cross-play for the last two years? The only other topic that they have been speaking similarly of is the multitude of "aution house/offline" style trading requests. If DE does build an offline trading system, any plat held in escrow would automatically be scanned for authenticity. But that is also a big "if".

38 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

That's a pretty big "if" and I doubt that DE will operate that way. Us PC players are the beta-testers, I don't imagine that will change except for their special event updates like how they did with Sistaz of Parvos on all platforms.

I'm worried about this too. Fake plat (and defaulted payment plat) is more prevalent on PC than on other platforms, consoles are more secure because they have to get their plat through their service provider.

It could be that DE already has a solution in place. You know how DE was denying any possiblility of cross-play for the last two years? The only other topic that they have been speaking similarly of is the multitude of "aution house/offline" style trading requests. If DE does build an offline trading system, any plat held in escrow would automatically be scanned for authenticity. But that is also a big "if".

Maybe DE will have to write a script where we could only trade plat from its respective platform that it was earned or bought from. Not sure how they will deal with the issue of trading since the economies are different, not just PC vs console but the XB and PS vs NSW economy that doesn't have as big of an economy as the others so the prices and values for items and plat will all vary. Just not sure how this will all play out.  

Hm, if accounts were to be merged, then I was wondering if it might first take all of the currencies you have (Plat, Ducats, Credits, all resources, etc.) from each account & add them together, then check which account has progressed the furthest into the start chart / Quest completion, and make sure that the newly-merged account retains the highest amount of progress. Sorta similar to how Valence Fusion provides the highest of two different things. But then there's the overall inventory, Codex and Mastery as well, so those're more to check for.

• Of course that's just an idea, hopefully we'll know more in the near future. Maybe when NW comes in August, other info will too.

Although I couldn't quite imagine how to code such a thing yet.

I strongly doubt there is going to be a way to merge accounts - in a collection game like warframe, that could get way too messy. More likely, you're just going to be able to select which of your multiple accounts you are currently playing across all platforms. Also, there already are rules against communicating between your different accounts (although I'm not sure if/how they are enforced) - there's no reason those would not apply just because the accounts originated on different platforms.

As far as plat is concerned - we're likely to just have multiple plat wallets, one for every platform. Platform owners will still want their cut of the plat sales!

What I'm really curious about are tennogen skins - how will it be handles when someone buys some tennogen for plat on a console and tries to load that save on PC, where the skins are real money-only.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

not sure how its an if at all...let alone a big if.

how are they going to have cross play...if some of the new items/missions/quests/cosmetics on pc havent been updated to the other platforms yet? having cross play means all platforms must be updated simultaneously.

Is there some enjoyment in being an unpaid tester for their bad releases? They should be playing their game more and dealing with the issues inside their game. These releases would be slower but they need to make sure it works.

1 hour ago, cha0sWyrM said:

having cross play means all platforms must be updated simultaneously.

Pokemon GO is an example. The updates are not instantaneous. On google (because I don't know how Apple updates work) it takes up to two weeks for Google's servers to force all devices to update to the latest version. During that transition period Pokemon still has full functionality.

I know that DE has been releasing their big updates on all platforms simultaneously, but lots of little hotfixes and Dev Workshops come to PC first. I don't expect DE to start changing their methods any time soon.

On 2021-07-18 at 3:40 AM, Letter13 said:

this long requested feature is finally making its way to the game (and the moderators will no longer have to lock the monthly/weekly/daily thread asking about it).

great! now we can all focus on asking for Dedicated Servers instead!

Vay Hek - Did you really think it would be this easy? - GIF on Imgur

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7
  • Like 5

Actually thinking about it (only for myself though), I prefer the way PC has its platinum and tennogen set-up (where PC players get discount coupons on platinum purchases and pay for tennogen directly through the steam workshop). I'm okay with cross-save & cross-play coming, I'm just hoping that PC players will still be able to get discount coupons on platinum and pay for tennogen via the workshop, after the implementation (just my 2 cents desires). I know there's a lot for DE to work out, so just eagerly waiting to hear from DE later on this subject. (and still clinging to hope that Ivara Obsidan skin can be acquired on PC one day ^_^ )

On 2021-07-21 at 10:58 PM, Letter13 said:

Gave the initial post a bit of an update to include some of the more popular talking points regarding cross-save/cross-save.

Think you may want to add something about how mission hosting/host migration will work with mobile users.

A big fear I've seen here, on Reddit, and other social media sites is one around mobile users being a mission host and bad connections resulting in poor performance/host migrations. Will there be some sort of system in place where mobile users need to have a certain connectivity performance level (connected to Wifi, certain cell service reception requirements, ect. ) to host missions? Can non-mobile users opt out of or at least be warned that a mission is being hosted by a mobile player? 

Also, will there be some sort of ID method for what system other players are on (similar to what the forums use)? Among other things, I think it's important to recognize the difference in communication options across platforms as well as graphical and processing performance. PC players have easy access to keyboards+voice chat, XBox and PS have commonly used voice chat options, while NSW is mostly in-game chat with limited use of voice chat. Additionally, PC players can and will likely have faster load times and experience fewer issues with graphical overload (Mirage+Bramma anyone?) than older-gen consoles+NSW players. Letting mission parties recognize this may help prevent some grievances or frustrations in time-sensitive/long-load time missions (Eidolons and RJ missions for instance). 

On 2021-07-18 at 10:41 AM, xcrimsonlegendx said:

Since we're getting cross-play and cross-save how will we manage multiple accounts?

I started on Xbox, made a fair bit of progress, spent some money, etc before switching to PC. My Xbox gamertag is already associated with a Warframe account, I have two separate forum accounts one of PC and one for Xbox as well. What do you suppose will happen when cross-save goes live? Will we have to choose what account we want to use, will there be some kind of account merging feature implemented?

I don’t imagine you’ll be forced to link those accounts or export them to other platforms. So long as you don’t consciously and manually link/ export them, they’ll just remain as two seperate accounts.

2 hours ago, (NSW)FatSanta said:

Think you may want to add something about how mission hosting/host migration will work with mobile users.

A big fear I've seen here, on Reddit, and other social media sites is one around mobile users being a mission host and bad connections resulting in poor performance/host migrations. Will there be some sort of system in place where mobile users need to have a certain connectivity performance level (connected to Wifi, certain cell service reception requirements, ect. ) to host missions? Can non-mobile users opt out of or at least be warned that a mission is being hosted by a mobile player? 

Also, will there be some sort of ID method for what system other players are on (similar to what the forums use)? Among other things, I think it's important to recognize the difference in communication options across platforms as well as graphical and processing performance. PC players have easy access to keyboards+voice chat, XBox and PS have commonly used voice chat options, while NSW is mostly in-game chat with limited use of voice chat. Additionally, PC players can and will likely have faster load times and experience fewer issues with graphical overload (Mirage+Bramma anyone?) than older-gen consoles+NSW players. Letting mission parties recognize this may help prevent some grievances or frustrations in time-sensitive/long-load time missions (Eidolons and RJ missions for instance). 

I'm definitely interested in learning how DE is tackling some of the hurdles that Warframe would face on mobile; I imagine that there will be an un-modifiable setting in the mobile client that will automatically relinquish hosting to a console or PC player in the group unless all other devices connected to the lobby are mobile devices. I know on PC you can designate whether your system is a Laptop (reduced host priority) or a Desktop (increased host priority). Most likely there will be a simple algorithm under the hood that will evaluate all of the users connected to a lobby before starting a mission to determine their platform and their respective pings, and pick the best host depending on resource/network criteria. 

I also foresee the game requiring Wi-Fi to be connected to play, or a stable 4G connection (I have in the past used my phone as a 4G modem for my laptop to access the internet, and have played Warframe over a 4G network without any real issues). 3G and below probably will not be supported when running the client, except maybe forced to solo play.

As for the ID, I think it will largely depend on which account you designate as the 'master' account for cross-save, at least for the forums. On the individual platforms your alias may differ depending on your PSN/XBL/NSW name, similar to how it works on Destiny 2 (on PS4/5 my Destiny 2 name is 'Letter13' but on PC it's 'Death By Teacup', but progress is shared via cross-save).

I also suspect there will be an opt-in/opt-out setting that would allow users to turn off cross-play from within the client. 

• Like 2

What I'm curious is how it will affect the community. There's already a bit of antagonism towards new players that are just starting out, due to the low entry costs of free to play games. Adding phones into the equation may make things worse. 

On a more practical note, will clans be now all cross-platform? I'm curious how this will affect recruitment drives.