Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

General Concerns with Crossplay

DashKanawaga

While many of us greatly look forward to this amazing feature, there are some concerns to be had. Account merges, connection issues, etc. Please post your concerns here so that these concerns are gathered up in one place and we can hopefully make things easier for DE to find them.

One thing I want confirmed, was someone on PC claiming that the Switch build has lower spawn rates because of the Switch's lower specs. That was literally the first time I've heard of it, but on the off-chance it's true I'd like to hear how DE is going to account for it

What im mostly worried about is phone hosts, patching and basically the limitation of chat. I have to assume they will put some kind of minimum system requirements on the phone side so that the phone in question is actually good enough to properly run the game. However if they are moving then the connection quality will vary wildly over time, which will lead to a terrible experience for everyone but the host. If phone users also become the majority of players, which isn't too unlikely, then its going to tank the quality of multiplayer into the ground. So i hope there's a plan for how to deal with that that isn't host migration hell. On top of that i /really/ hope that the game wont be dumbed down and made even easier so people on touch controls can do everything comfortably.

Patching will be slower, much slower. PC can no longer expect a hotfix that changes any code to fix stuff the same day as release. Most likely it will take a week or two for a patch to go through certification on all platforms so it can be released. Meanwhile that gamebreaking bug will remain and break the game for everyone. While this will force DE to try and release more finished updates, i don't think that will happen. If anything console releases will be of worse quality as they no longer have PC to beta test stuff for them and PC is shafted because the patch times will be much longer.

As for the chat, no longer can one expect people on the group to even be able to respond at all. I mean its not like everyone responds now, but at least they are able to. So asking if people want to continue in railjack is entirely reasonable for instance. Once this goes live communication can no longer be expected whatsoever.

So the whole thing is a double edged sword in my opinion. On one hand its great since it will bring in a lot of people, i have friends ill be able to play with once this goes live as they are on console only. On the other hand it will bring problems that i seriously hope will be solved before bringing it live.

I'd like to know if account merges would be possible? I suspect that it'll be a you can play your PS4 account on your PC but would it be possible to rehome it for future purchases?

I've a 1000+ hour account on PS4 as well as a now 400 hour PC account. It hurt starting again on PC without access to a maxed dojo for some of the essentials but now my PC account is pretty established, especially after access to all Baro's stock.

Spoiler
  • PC account
  1. money spent on cosmetics
  2. railjack,
  3. high rank deimos/cetus,
  4. star chart incomplete,
  5. quests incomplete
  • PS4 account
  1. lots of money spent on cosmetics,
  2. high rank cetus/vallis,
  3. maxed quad syndicates,
  4. star chart complete,
  5. all quests complete up to update 24
  6. numerous prime access purchases
  7. ownership of maxed out ghost clan

6 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

One thing I want confirmed, was someone on PC claiming that the Switch build has lower spawn rates because of the Switch's lower specs. That was literally the first time I've heard of it, but on the off-chance it's true I'd like to hear how DE is going to account for it

Thats the issue, they aren’t going to be able to. If they figure out the max enemies for switch or mobile is something like 45, its gonna have to stay at 45 to avoid melting the mobile players device or overheating the switch

I have two concerns with crossplay really:

First is phone hosts.  People already complain about poor hosts now.  Just imagine how bad that will get when your mission is hosted by a phone on bad reception?
Or what happens if they are running an older phone that just -barely- runs the game and end up as the host?
I can already imagine the sheer amount of host migration issues that this will cause as well as other lag related issues.
And I don't see too many ways that DE can actually handle this.

Second is the patch rate.  Since the versions will have to be kept in lock-step I can't wait to see game breaking issues, such as the old issue where inbox opening crashed clients all the time, sit in the game for the week to two weeks needed to get the patch certified on all hardware, now including mobile.
People think the game is buggy and broken now?  They haven't seen anything yet.  This will be an utter crap show.
And sure DE could step up and release less buggy updates....but I have a hard time believing they'll be able to keep that up.

Cross Save is absolutely fine, but Cross Play is going to destroy our patching economy. Unless they put in some awkward tech to somehow spot-load in core game data remotely, the inescapable truth is that somewhere, somehow, a cross-playing platform is going to be asked to represent something it just doesn't understand (or doesn't understand to 'current' proper details after hotfixes).

Publicity stunt simultaneous update releases are one thing, but making that the obligation for every update is going to leave one hell of a sour aftertaste - not to mention put more strain on DE to not have us good old PC bug-testers serve as the first buffer.

There will absolutely be a need for proper public testing environment. Crossplay means DE can no longer just say "PC players are the beta testers lol". No more hotfix, no more day 1 patches. The patch must be ship in a finished state, with fine tuned balance and 99% bug free.  

Genshin Impact is about to ship a whole new region in 3 days, and their beta have been sitting there for around a month now. Warframe needs to be doing the same if they want crossplay to be a thing. Use the testing environment they set up. Run longer beta for more major patches. There is no acceptable alternative. Have PC get patched first and then lock PC out of crossplay for a month? Or ship a ridiculously broken update and have the whole game be broken until the fixes can be certified for all consoles? All unacceptable.  

Cross play is something everyone wants because it sounds good in theory.  Play with your friends regardless of what platform they play on.  Who wouldn't want that?

The problem is compromises that have to be made to allow it to happen often create serious drawbacks for one or more platforms that make people wish it hadn't happened.  The game will have to restrict itself to the lowest standards of all platforms.

Crossplay sounds like a good thing and it can also have many drawbacks to it. I really hope that at least the stuff that we purchased with our own money can just be merged with one account. I started playing on PC, but my friend has a PS4, so buying stuff on both is fine. But it would be nice to have it all in just one. Plus i would be livid if merging accounts just got rid of things that you had bought on another account.

I wonder how DE is going to handle the console Tennogen purchases, since you're buying the skins with plat there. Also I hope we get the option to turn the crossplay off. 

But the cross save is a great addition and Im looking forward to some couch Warframe on PS5. 

23 hours ago, H3addy said:

I wonder how DE is going to handle the console Tennogen purchases, since you're buying the skins with plat there. Also I hope we get the option to turn the crossplay off. 

But the cross save is a great addition and Im looking forward to some couch Warframe on PS5. 

Tbh how many games are there were you can’t turn off crossplay 

• 4 months later...

Archived