Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE, Please Watch this GDC Talk on Repayable Design for Open-World Missions

ssh83

The single-player experience in TennoLive is cool, but we will probably play those single-player mission for 1 hour, then spend the next 40 hours grinding some mulitiplayer missions for the actual loot/bp.

I really like this GDC talk on non-linear level design: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBor4rhnQs

It's especially noteworthy for Warframe because Warframe's gameplay design seems operate in "I have to control the player's behaviors.  They have to do A, B, and C, then repeat.  I will nullify their powers to force them on this exact pattern."  That may be fine for a single-playthrough level, but for something that players need to replay 100 times?  

This speaker defines the actuators in his level design very differently.  Instead of adding things to control/herd the player, they're actuators to create a dynamic playing field to offer opportunities rather than restrictions.  It will take a bit of thinking to translate them into Warframe's unique systems, but Warframe can really add replayability this way.  These actuators can be an additional layer on top of terrain that can be changed or tweaked dynamically for different experiences without needing a brand new map/tileset.

It's also extra-good for the New War because the sentients bring new enemy types.  Instead of just 10 more loot-piñata that look different (but equally empty), maybe these new enemies/structures can serve as actuators that don't currently exist in Warframe.

28 minutes ago, ssh83 said:

The single-player experience in TennoLive is cool, but we will probably play those single-player mission for 1 hour, then spend the next 40 hours grinding some mulitiplayer missions for the actual loot/bp.

I really like this GDC talk on non-linear level design: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBor4rhnQs

It's especially noteworthy for Warframe because Warframe's gameplay design seems operate in "I have to control the player's behaviors.  They have to do A, B, and C, then repeat.  I will nullify their powers to force them on this exact pattern."  That may be fine for a single-playthrough level, but for something that players need to replay 100 times?  

This speaker defines the actuators in his level design very differently.  Instead of adding things to control/herd the player, they're actuators to create a dynamic playing field to offer opportunities rather than restrictions.  It will take a bit of thinking to translate them into Warframe's unique systems, but Warframe can really add replayability this way.  These actuators can be an additional layer on top of terrain that can be changed or tweaked dynamically for different experiences without needing a brand new map/tileset.

It's also extra-good for the New War because the sentients bring new enemy types.  Instead of just 10 more loot-piñata that look different (but equally empty), maybe these new enemies/structures can serve as actuators that don't currently exist in Warframe.

You hope for better quality content?
Seems you didnt get any lesson out of RJ rework
Then hope is all u will be left with
Or watching GDC while grinding

Archived