Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How about an in-game DPS calculator?

TenTonneSkeleton

I've been playing this game for about 4 years now. Only today did I realize the game calculates damage types reading your mod upgrades left to right, top to bottom. Not only that but you can swap polarities without ranking it up again and without using forma! Yeah, I'm a newb. MR28 3000hrs in the game. The truth is, damage types never really mattered to me until steel path. I never do long endurance runs.

My point is, there are a lot of concepts in this game that take a while to fully grasp and apply. I'm still learning, especially when it comes to how damage is calculated in this game (which seems to change constantly. What do you mean Primed Point Blank isn't good anymore?) And I think if it's difficult for me to grasp, how about for newer players? Are there any actual tutorials for this in game that would be helpful?

One of the main ways to help mitigate this problem I think is an in-game damage calculator where on the weapon upgrade screen you can plug in a given faction or enemy and have it give you a rough approximation of your DPS against that faction using your current loadout. I know this would never be 100% accurate, but it would go a long way I think to help people make informed choices.

I want to see hard evidence for why damage % stacking has diminishing returns. Are primed faction damage mods even worth considering for most weapons? Now throw in status and crit chance. I aced calculus in high school and I still struggle to understand how damage is calculated. One could write an entire thesis for warframe damage calculation.

Overframe.gg's builder does a decent enough job when it comes to calculating conditionals.
I'd not expect anything like this to find its way into the game itself. I mean, look at ability tooltips, most of them are dreadful and often omit relevant information. Anything more complicated and you absolutely need the wiki to get the full picture. What makes you think we'll get a detailed breakdown on how stats and mods affect a weapon's output?

What I'm trying to say is that there are resources out there, readily available that can help you with this and will likely remain more accurate and consistent than whatever DE is going to muster. When it comes to UI, they are very much in the style-over-substance camp.

P.S. Wow at that first paragraph...

Honestly, why not? DE took the time to make one of the most complicated games known to man (Eve Online is way worse though beleive me) Why can't they take the time to write proper tutorials, tool tips and in-game systems that are informative and functional?

How about an ingame market? Trade chat is a total cluster****. And maroo's bazaar just seems really inefficient as well.

I think it's sloppy to rely on 3rd party out-of-game systems to play a game. A wiki is one thing, but something like warframe market and overframe should be built into the game IMO.

It is funny, isn't it - how DE managed to make one of the most convoluted games, yet provide zero concise (and consistent) tooltips and breakdowns on how things work.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, it'd certainly help newcomers who are not already accustomed to using 3rd party resources. That said, it's a long way between what should happen and what will happen. As somebody who's been involved with this game, in one way or another, since closed beta, I'd not hold my breath. I gave up on relying on ingame information to provide me with the actual data a long time ago.

Yeah, I hear you. I guess I wish DE had some kind of player based development panel. New creative concepts (frames weapons, story), general game improvemnt, bug fixes, etc... because sometimes it feels like they are really out of touch with the current state of things. I guess I hope they've just been hard at work on the New War and haven't had time for much else.

Thanks for pointing out Overframe, I will have to spend more time there.

Archived