Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Action And Consequence (Lore Issue)

Larsurus

While many say that they don't give a squat about lore, it is still obviously affecting the choices and feelings of many players.

Insert obligatory meme:

pe85u.jpg

Bonus points for typo.

So Alad V was defeated and had to give up his captured Tenno (though apparently he kept a few hidden on Jupiter) and everyone is happy for some reason. The Grineer and their space nazi general Ruk are almost seen as heroes at the end of it all.

BUT the Grineer won, right? They captured those nodes and the dilemma stated that the civilians would most likely suffer for it. So... are they suffering? What actually happened to the civilians? I get the feeling the Grineer and Corpus just shrugged their shoulders and sat down to have some tea, letting everyday life continue as if this war happened once a week.

"See you next week, Ruk!" Said Alad V stretching out his fist.

"Indeed, milk man. Good game." Ruk replied, fist bumping Alad V with his arm cannon.

"You mind telling the Tenno that their friends are in my locker at the gentlemen's club?" Alad V asked the general as they headed towards the exit. "I don't want them sending me angry messages and signing me up for random newsletters."

"Hah, sure. I'll send a text message to Lotus when I get to my space cab." Ruk laughed.

"Thanks. Oh, by the way, what happens to the civilians?" Alad V asked as he held the door open for his oversized adversary.

Ruk's armor creaked as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Meh..."

The End.

If you throw a moral dilemma at us like that then one side has to face consequences. It can't just end in what to me felt like a draw because then our choices are pointless.

And now we see Alad picking Warframes apart, adding further love for the Grineer.

I ask that you give us a reason to hate both Grineer and Corpus. They need to be equally evil so that the next time we have to pick a side, we actually don't want to.

Yes, I chose Corpus in the event. Seeing Alad dismembering Warframes does tug on my heartstrings, but I can't let that affect my choice for the event because I keep telling myself that Ruk is just as bad, if not worse. Sadly the actions of the Grineer post-event are nonexistent. I hope this will change before the next dilemma.

One suggestion is that we get a followup event where we have to save the civilians we so carelessly doomed.

Thanks DE!

Edit: Feel free to slap me if I am too early to pass this kind of judgement.

Edited by Larsurus

I lol'd no word of a lie at your spoiler but truth be told we don't have that much information on the so called defenseless.

I made my call on who to support though 3 simple observations.

1) Tenno tech is uber, anyone who has it is going to throw down hard. Yes people die but how many more will die if bad guys get that advantage?

2) Sacrificing Tenno is a guaranteed loss. Cities, colonies can be evacuated and the odds are that it was a whole sale slaughter fest 100% causality rate is unlikely.

3) Other Tenno would disagree with me and the Grineer wouldn't have a total win aka 'flawless victory' meaning they would still have to hammer out a lot of the losses they took in the battle before they could truely dig their fingers into the slice of the pie they just acquired.

We do need a RP forum....

The main issue here, is that you don't get to SEE what the Grineer do.

All we have right now is a bunch of text telling us the Grineer are evil. If the nodes we went through were like, ramsacked cities with corpses everywhere, then people probably wouldn't have sided with the grineer.

But thats not the case, so its a lot easier to like them.

Infact, we barely even know what the grineer do with the tidbits of lore we have.

Do they enslave races? Or do they just kill them?

Edited by Oizen

So Corpus serfs are now Grineer slaves. I doubt life has changed much for them, I guess they now spend their days making bullet guns instead of energy guns.

If I understood the last livestream there are civilians that are not Corpus/Grineer minions.

I supported the Grineer but not because I love Ruk and thinks he's a hero among us (I like what they did with him as a character though, same goes for Alad, but I "hate" both of their guts). 

And I agree completely. I kind of stretch the implied information we have in order to play along, but more often than not I feel there needs to be more depth in it so that I don't need to stretch it, but rather being able to reach the bottom of a rich lore.

Priorities, brother/sister > nameless colonist.

Technological superiority > Useless cannon fodder.

It doesn't sound as captain tenno i know but these are the points that convinced me to support grineer for the time being.

Pretty much these are among the main reasons of my choice too (I did read some arguments on Corpus sides that are really great, and many of which I agreed with/respected). I do feel guilt for letting the colonists become slaves, but as people said, the fact that there's not much of a lore to grasp on makes that guilt pretty hollow anyway.

Yes, one problem though. Since we are more involved with the Tenno than what we are with the civilians, so the civilians will never be able to load as big emphasis and large emotional charge, so no matter what you would do at this point, it would not be able to weigh the pull of fellow Tenno. If they were shown from the beginning however, it would be whole new thing. Of course new players would feel it like it should but anyone, the more time you have invested thus far the less you would feel any kind of emotional attachment to them.

Yes, one problem though. Since we are more involved with the Tenno than what we are with the civilians, so the civilians will never be able to load as big emphasis and large emotional charge, so no matter what you would do at this point, it would not be able to weigh the pull of fellow Tenno. If they were shown from the beginning however, it would be whole new thing. Of course new players would feel it like it should but anyone, the more time you have invested thus far the less you would feel any kind of emotional attachment to them.

It actually can because of how people's sense of duty, honor and loyalty is interpreted. There were some great arguments from the Corpus side that had to do with these and the civilians, relating to the Tenno "creed" and stuff. This means that, even without more implied/explicit information, some people were still able to bring themselves to do that.

That alone is something not to take lightly and not to underestimate from our fellow players. Yes, there will be emotional attachment to fellow Tennos, sometimes stronger, but that may not be the decisive factor of the choice (which is what happened to some of those players I'm referencing).

Edited by Casardis