Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Save in the Future - But What About Multiple Accounts?

During TennoLive, it was revealed that cross play and cross save are actively being worked on (as well as WF on mobiles which still blows my mind). However, how are multiple accounts on different platforms being handled then? I have an old but 2000+ hrs OC account I can't use which is why I now also use a PSN account to play the game. When cross save comes, is there going to be an option to unite all of those accounts into one or do I just have some tough luck regarding my PC account?

They haven't elaborated. I think it's likely that they'll offer account merging if it's something they're able to do - at least for a brief window. Your situation isn't unique by any means, and they'll have a lot of people who need this addressed. At the very least, I don't see a reason you couldn't trade items from your PC account to your PSN account once cross-save lets the two interact. Might take a few trips to the Index to get done :/

50 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

They haven't elaborated. I think it's likely that they'll offer account merging if it's something they're able to do - at least for a brief window. Your situation isn't unique by any means, and they'll have a lot of people who need this addressed. At the very least, I don't see a reason you couldn't trade items from your PC account to your PSN account once cross-save lets the two interact. Might take a few trips to the Index to get done :/

I thought their stance on multiple accounts was "It's not against the rules, as long as the accounts don't interact, in any way, ever."  I'm pretty sure I've seen people say that even buying something on one PC account to gift to the *other* account is potentially bannable?  I'm also pretty sure I've seen people recommend not putting characters from both accounts in the same clan, and that directly trading is probably not a good idea.

I... would recommend looking this up before you start moving anything around, assuming they haven't made a more specific announcement by then.

i mean, it is possible you link all your accounts initally which creates a shared inventory then you select a primary account and all dissolve into that account. Which would then own the shared inventory which just becomes THEE inventory for which all platforms have access too and data is saved/accessed.

19 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

I thought their stance on multiple accounts was "It's not against the rules, as long as the accounts don't interact, in any way, ever."  I'm pretty sure I've seen people say that even buying something on one PC account to gift to the *other* account is potentially bannable?  I'm also pretty sure I've seen people recommend not putting characters from both accounts in the same clan, and that directly trading is probably not a good idea.

I... would recommend looking this up before you start moving anything around, assuming they haven't made a more specific announcement by then.

Yeah, but that's on the same platform. They've never had a stance on multiple accounts on different platforms AFAIK, and you're free to have an account on every platform you want. You can have a PC and an Xbox account, but not two PC accounts that trade with each other. Cross-play and cross-save kind of changes everything, and they're going to have to update their stance on on multiple accounts to handle this transition. If they don't provide a way to merge accounts players are just going to do it themselves.

2 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Yeah, but that's on the same platform. They've never had a stance on multiple accounts on different platforms AFAIK, and you're free to have an account on every platform you want. You can have a PC and an Xbox account, but not two PC accounts that trade with each other. Cross-play and cross-save kind of changes everything, and they're going to have to update their stance on on multiple accounts to handle this transition. If they don't provide a way to merge accounts players are just going to do it themselves.

My main concern is more on the "what happens if you have a PC account and a console account cloned from it?"  Since when they offered it for the Switch, I copied my account.  Then realized I *really* don't enjoy playing with a controller, and that I didn't like that they gutted my mods collection (in the name of "fairness.")  Plus the part where Excalibur Prime just doesn't exist in that version.

If account merging is voluntary, I just won't do that.  But if it's automatic, I'm going to be kind of upset if my PC account gets half gutted again to bring it into parity with the console versions.  I'm almost certain that when I copied it I had parts for Gauss in the foundry, or even just straight up had Gauss already.  (Or Grendel, one of them, I forget and don't actually care.)  But since whichever it was didn't exist in the Switch version yet, my account copied with a bunch of weird placeholder items.  I know other people are in the reverse situation, they have a PC account (maybe even a Founder account) that they copied ages ago, maybe with things like Excalibur Prime or Tennogen that doesn't exist in the console version.  They'd like to keep that handful of things, but not roll their main console account back to when they copied it.  Which was obviously *years* ago for the Xbox.

Anyway, doesn't matter, DE are going to do cross save, people have been asking for years for cross save, some people are beyond happy that we're getting it.  I'm just concerned that it's going to be a total "Monkey's Paw!" moment somehow.  T-T

Just now, EmberStar said:

My main concern is more on the "what happens if you have a PC account and a console account cloned from it?"  Since when they offered it for the Switch, I copied my account.  Then realized I *really* don't enjoy playing with a controller, and that I didn't like that they gutted my mods collection (in the name of "fairness.")  Plus the part where Excalibur Prime just doesn't exist in that version.

If account merging is voluntary, I just won't do that.  But if it's automatic, I'm going to be kind of upset if my PC account gets half gutted again to bring it into parity with the console versions.  I'm almost certain that when I copied it I had parts for Gauss in the foundry, or even just straight up had Gauss already.  (Or Grendel, one of them, I forget and don't actually care.)  But since whichever it was didn't exist in the Switch version yet, my account copied with a bunch of weird placeholder items.  I know other people are in the reverse situation, they have a PC account (maybe even a Founder account) that they copied ages ago, maybe with things like Excalibur Prime or Tennogen that doesn't exist in the console version.  They'd like to keep that handful of things, but not roll their main console account back to when they copied it.  Which was obviously *years* ago for the Xbox.

Anyway, doesn't matter, DE are going to do cross save, people have been asking for years for cross save, some people are beyond happy that we're getting it.  I'm just concerned that it's going to be a total "Monkey's Paw!" moment somehow.  T-T

I don't think there's a clean way to merge an account automatically, for reasons like the ones you point out, but it's something they're gonna have to figure out. Migrated/copied accounts aren't that uncommon, so I don't think they'd have announced this without having some sort of plan in place. Time will tell, but I think the last thing they want is to piss a bunch of people off.

Its very likely that "merging accounts" will not happen, cross play/progression just means you can use a single account on any platform. eg ps4 account on PC platform, or PC account on Switch.

Merging accounts will be a legal no no for DE, companies like sony, Charge for the privilege of cross save, I doult they allow a PC account with lots of cheap plat be integrated to a sony account.

3 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I think s/he meant having different accounts on different platform i.e. 1 for PC, 1 for PS4, 1 for Switch which is totally legal under current EULA.

3 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

I think s/he meant having different accounts on different platform i.e. 1 for PC, 1 for PS4, 1 for Switch which is totally legal under current EULA.

It's totally allowed because there's currently no way for them to interact.  They're adding a way for them to interact.  Which potentially puts me, with a PC and a Switch account, in the same position as someone with two PC accounts - IE, if I were to try to trade something from my PC account to the Switch account, are they going to nuke them both from orbit?  (I wouldn't, personally, because there's no reason to, and the Switch account has nothing of value.  That doesn't apply to everyone though.)

7 hours ago, EmberStar said:

Plus the part where Excalibur Prime just doesn't exist in that version.

Good point. So either DE will bring all consoles up to speed with PC (tennogen+exclusives), or the non-compatible items will be glitched out with [PH] branding, or when you start playing on a foreign platform your exclusive content will be invisible/unusable (like how some weapons are banned from Conclave).

There's a few assumptions with this whole thread:

• Migration of exclusive items
  • Cross-platform trading
  • Account merging
  • "Casual" mission cross-play

There are so many potential limitations that DE might impose. There's even a part of me that is afraid that cross-play will only be available for open-world and special missions. DE did mention that the 3rd Spider Tank will be a raid style boss fight. I can't help but think this is connected.

We just don't know yet.

Archived