Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe on mobile will kill any evolution of this game?

2 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Aren’t they gonna have to maintain a certain graphical expectations across all devices? Doesn’t that mean anymore advance in graphics or animations it won’t run on switch? So therefore we are locked in to what we have now forever? If not how will that work exactly? 

Animations really don't impact a game's performance. Also, DE hasn't made any advances in animations. They literally haven't touched old animations to rework them. I wish they would.

As for graphics, most of those things are controlled by settings anyway. I'm sure there will be resolution and graphics limitations for phones. As for graphical quality, Warframe really isn't doing a whole lot in terms of graphics. It doesn't have all of the advanced graphics features that AAA games have. It still uses 256p and 512p textures for a lot of assets. The real question is whether or not DE will offer higher quality texture and graphics settings for PC and consoles.

2 hours ago, DealerOfAbsolutes said:

It's a great incentive for DE to clean up the spaghetti and streamline base systems.

That's never going to happen.

52 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Don't worry, back when warframe was about to be ported to consoles many PC players had a similar view on the matter and here we are.

that’s valid. Didn’t think of it that way. Still I’m sure there are many other critical questions that need to be asked and addressed particular nomenclature outside of my verbal abilities. 

2 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Opinion: 
Cross save and play between consoles and PC is great can finally play with buddies from the forums and r/Warframe! But from graphics, animations to engine limitations to P2P connection to gameplay evolution and ideas/implementation, I feel like DE is really overreaching  and scraping  the bottom of the barrel with this one and DE is really backing themselves into a corner even more so. Are we really hurting for (new)players that much we have to make Warframe playable on mobile device too? 

Why is putting Warframe on mobile phones a good idea? 

I meet in WF many ppl who claim to have potato PC and that on open worlds i need to wait for them a little bit to load or ask me to spam less abilities cause im making their GFX card burn

At the same time i believe many of them have enough powerful phones to handle WF

I own gamepad which i use to play games on my phone and i even did try in fact to play WF on PC with that gamepad and for me its impossible

But on god damn consoles there are ppl who do eidolons profit taker or whatever else type of mission is thrown into them without any effort

So i doubt mobile players will lack anything to PC/Console players

About hosting
Do you really think they would develop it without solutions to eventual problems with mobile players hosting?

And now we have laggers we have ppl with mobile internet playing on PC and yet somehow we live and play so whats the problem here?

I believe only thing u should be concern about is the moment of transition from what we have now to multi platform cross play

Like that awkward moment when games transition from 2D to 3D
There were many many MANY games trying to go 3D with terrible camera angles not to mention camera following players
And best of all CONTROLS there were many wrong choices many bad ideas and many lack of imagination

But look now somehow it worked it way out of that crap
I believe WF will do exactly the same
Just that transition moment can be harsh 

Not directly related to the performance or storage issues on Mobile:

Sometimes when I think about Mobile Controls as much as I hate it, I think anyone over the age of 25(?) should take a look at how the younger players use mobile controls. Some of them just play things like Fortnite so naturally, they're mobile natives. It's just impressive to me.

I think the point from the "ensmallening" DE did to the games texture size serves a purpose, 8k photorealistic textures doesn't always means good graphics, there are literally AAA titles out there that literally uses flat color stylized materials and still look up to date, We need to stop expecting graphics to go up every time Nvidia drops a new card, bcs We literally reached the limits, almost every single game released in 2021 focused on VFX and particles more than texture size, and it works, in case the companies wants to port their games to mobile, so if you're developing a game in 2021 you don't really want to use insane texture size.

2 hours ago, Surbusken said:

How can the weaker platform be making the most money, especially when video games rely so heavily on performance.

Accessibility. Most people have a smartphone (powerful too). Not everyone can afford a console/PC with the associated peripherals. If you add a Playstation or PC to the cost of a TV/Monitor, etc, it's a no-brainer compared to a single hand-held device. The mobile market is massive and as sad as it is, money drives the world more than passion.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Why is putting Warframe on mobile phones a good idea? 

why wouldn't it be, assuming there are phones capable of running it? I know phones are phones, no consoles, but they look to me like they've been catching up at some pace over the last few years, and if the phones we have now can run warframe, the phones we get in the next 5 years or so will likely be able to run it very well. 

compared to everyone else my age I'm a total unga-bunga caveman troglodyte, but I know that DE wouldn't waste time and money trying to cram their game onto a phone if the phone couldn't handle it: they aren't like Google who can invest stupid money into new ventures and then bail on them the moment they don't get the hype they imagined (how's Stadia doing these days? XD), they would have asked the right tech-nerds if it could be done, and only gone ahead ocne they were as certain as they could be that a mobile version could theoretically work.

sadly I doubt my old Nokia 3310 won't make the specs, but anyone with an iPhone or Samsung/Android like I use now should be ok. plus I'll finally be able to never leave my phone for more than a nanosecond, just like all the cool normal people out there!

I'm sure it'll be fine.  They have it running now on some kind of phone, open world to boot.  Also given that you get the "person joined your squad" message when the person actually starts loading, we know roughly the load times on that phone that they were using.  So we have a baseline of potential performance.  Do we know what phone they were using?  I don't.  I didn't notice.  Please fill me in if you know.  Will everyone have that kind of phone?  No, but we can probably assume that it's not some super top of the line unreleased phone.  It's something we can buy.  Also as stated we already have people trying to play on PC that can't even load the Plains.  All things considered, mobile sits somewhere where the PC community already sits.

And people worried about mobile network slowing things down?  You already have that with people trying to play on wifi at the edge of their range.  Nothing is going to change.  And for every mobile player that gets added to your player pool, there's going to be like 3 from the other platforms.

Will I be on mobile?  Of course not.
I'll be on my Steam Deck (assuming it runs there).

Just now, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

I'll be on my Steam Deck (assuming it runs there).

Don't worry, it will. People run it on really low end computers and the Steam Deck has a similar architecture as PS5/XSX but runs PC Software.

1 minute ago, (NSW)mrEkli said:

Don't worry, it will. People run it on really low end computers and the Steam Deck has a similar architecture as PS5/XSX but runs PC Software.

I'm more worried about the fact that it's got Linux under the hood.  Yeah yeah, I know about Proton, but still.

Though if someone already knows that Warframe runs fine with Proton, great!

29 minutes ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

Though if someone already knows that Warframe runs fine with Proton, great!

... It does, and you can even run it in Win10, without all the crap that Win10 pretends to not be, without using up like... 50gigs and without having a single process taking over of your entire PC's capability, leaving you only a measly 1% or lower for everything else you do because it needs to inform Microsoft about all of your activities, all the damn time.

... and no auto-updates that will break your entire system 95% of the times haha...

... Oh, and best of all you actually get a moderate FPS increase on top of it all... Although I don't know if Proton's actually that flexible. I keep forgetting that not everyone makes a Wine build of their own on a Debian distro, most of the times Proton is just... effortless...

6 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

If not how will that work exactly? 

Code branching, pre-processor macros and platform targeting. You don't necessarily have to gimp one platform for another one, make the adjustments and target the platform you need. I would assume with the help of Tencent resource connections, which is probably why this is happening in the first place, they will be able to streamline this properly.

The only thing this may gimp is the release cycle, since PC is now tied to console certification process, which sucks a**.

On the contrary. Is gonna make it bigger, so much bigger than now. It's gonna be everywhere, ready for anyone, with the most fair monetization system in the F2P market. Tencent is very well known by making mobile versions of whatever they buy, in this case. 

Check this list of what Tencent has been buying: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tencent-have-bought-another-game-developer-so-lets-see-how-big-their-collection-is-now

As you can see Warframe is not only another game, is one of Tencent bet's. Thats why we are getting full crossplay and cross save, they put infrastructure and earn benefits, DE makes this bigger and gives the mother company whats` own. And they expect to win a lottttt with this. 

First mention of a mobile version, first leak, whatever you wanna name it, happened around august/september 2020, very short after Tencent's buy. I can put a date because there´s a spanish guy who i use to follow making a video about the topic. Sept 2020. Spanish guy btw. 

7 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Considering that DE is actually making a large financial risk with this move, I feel like it's quite safe to assume they've done their research and know what they're doing.

spiderman lol GIF

Came to post about the same thing, basically. Glad to see someone’s already brought it up on the forums and it’s getting some traction.

Basically, I was extremely happy with TennoCon. There were more things to get excited and hopeful about than I can remember. But…like the OP here, I’m very worried by the prospect of a mobile port. Let alone one that’s supposed to be linked live with the console+PC Warframe. Others have touched on some pretty good reasons already ⬇️

7 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Aren’t they gonna have to maintain a certain graphical expectations across all devices? Doesn’t that mean anymore advance in graphics or animations it won’t run on switch? So therefore we are locked in to what we have now forever? If not how will that work exactly? 

7 hours ago, (XBOX)InductiveBag46 said:

*Vietnam flashbacks to lunaro, archwing, railjack launch*

Let's not forget tencent owns them now, im not a doomer or anything, but I'd just like to pion out the convenience of these two events (acquisition and mobile version) happening not too far apart.

In all fairness yes they wouldn't be pouring all that wf money into mobile if they didn't have confidence in it, but let's not forget we don't live in a perfect world and not every financial decision de made was exactly.. perfect.

Idk

I think the most important questions boil down to:

What's this going to cost existing players in the long run? i.e., will this limit development (pacing of releases/graphically/complexity of gameplay mechanics/etc)? We are years and hardware leaps away from mobile devices being able to sustain the kind of complexity consoles and PCs can manage. Whether or not certain up-market phones have specs that can theoretically keep up on paper isn't the same thing as rolling out an app accessible to users across the world - particularly users in China, if the speculation here is correct (and I'm worried that it is).

Is this something being pushed by Tencent? Is it out of financial desperation? How much of DE's promised "creative independence" is a factor in this decision? If you're under pressure to develop cross play to include mobile, would you tell us? You also told us one of your "core pillars is transparency", so I think we need and deserve to have detailed answers regardless of what they may be.

In general, I am as hopeful and supportive of you as ever, DE. I hope we get some much needed transparency on this particular subject soon, and we can put it behind us. Thank you.

11 hours ago, FURYDANCE said:

tridolon x 3 need volt harrow trin NO PHONES ALLOWED 

LF 5x3 Tridolon, LF Volt Harrow Trin PC ONLY 200+ Caps

Recruit chat is going to be so messy. Warframe is long overdue for a fully fledged LFG system.

Phones are getting more powerful over the years and Warframe compared to other games isn't that hard to run with the right graphic settings. There's also one postitive here, entering the mobile market that is a literal gold mine DE actually has a reason to invest into official dedicated servers because we all know you can't turn phones into mobile servers. You can actually say goodbye to the dreaded host migration.

That certainly is one of the best steps for Warframe for years if not decades to come. Warframe started from PC and all platforms adapted to what PC can do. Going mobile will no exception. It will help Warframe to find more creative ways to expand its control systems on mobile as well. 

Archived