Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe has no immersive music for battle

(XBOX)Harbinger XK5

For the longest time i had always thought that as well as all of my friends but after what a brand new player I'm helping said i just have to say it. he said and i quote

what the heck is this it sounds like someone's cheeks being clapped and what's with the distant screams and banging. we were on Deimos and I had forgot how bad the "music" was because I turned the music off years ago. Please D.E. put some actual battle music in this game rather these glockenspiels and distant banging and screams we have.

what an insulting and demeaning title for the sound team to find. I guess you haven't listened to the sinthwave of the corpus or the angry horns and drums of the grineer, or the choir-like medley of the orokin. Of course deimos sounds gross that's the whole theme of infested.

58 minutes ago, VieniSu said:

wait what ??? are you serious ??? you never really actually listen to the surroundings in game do you, everything the sound team put into this game blows me away....you should try to stop and listen you might find its all music

I have tried to stop and listen and I don't hear music it's just ambient noises I will agree that the sounds the infested themselves make and weapons make are amazingly made but there is no music. the only things I heard that actually had any good music to it were the old corpus ship tile set and the archwing quest.

11 hours ago, Drasiel said:

what an insulting and demeaning title for the sound team to find. I guess you haven't listened to the sinthwave of the corpus or the angry horns and drums of the grineer, or the choir-like medley of the orokin. Of course deimos sounds gross that's the whole theme of infested.

the new corpus ship tileset's synthwave is awful, the orokin music gives me a headache after about three minutes and the grineer glockenspiels are not real music. everyone i talk to with the exception of you and the others who've replied to this forum say that the game needs real music that gives them a drive to actually fight. when you're doing a 1 to 3 hour survival this is not the kind of music that amps you up.

Iv played Warframe for roughly 4-5ish years and I have to agree with Harbinger XK5. The sound design when it come to ambiance, weapon and all the other SFX are absolutely amazing, but what this game lacks is music. Every game I have played from happy wars back in the 360 era to Skyrim to pokemon hell even Call of Duty all have music tracks that I will go back and listen to, but warframe doesn’t have a single one. The orokin “music” is just “ahhhhh” the whole time. The grineer are just drums and glockenspiels and the infested is just a bunch of garbage horror shock sounds, each track having no actual form or song structure to them. Having music more akin to (like what Mr. Harbinger has said in the reply’s) doom when fighting the infested would be incredible. At this moment in time there is not a single track from Warframe that I have gone out of my way to find and listen too when playing other games or doing general boring life stuff because there is none. In short, I’m with Harbinger XK5 on this topic and I do believe that Warframe could use a new and improved “music” soundtrack across the board.

The one on deimos to me is meh, but we can excuse that because it's infested, the new corpus ship tileset music is nice, but I would prefer the one thats used in outposts, gas cities, and ice planet tilesets, grineer one is good , orb vallis is golden, and I don't really play PoE so I can't really talk on that. All the other music is just perfect for me.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Harbinger XK5 said:

the new corpus ship tileset's synthwave is awful, the orokin music gives me a headache after about three minutes and the grineer glockenspiels are not real music. everyone i talk to with the exception of you and the others who've replied to this forum say that the game needs real music that gives them a drive to actually fight. when you're doing a 1 to 3 hour survival this is not the kind of music that amps you up.

That sounds like you don't like the music we have rather than there being no music :\ Which is fine, you can have that opinion but you'd probably get farther if you didn't have such a hostile title.

I don't like the more forceful presence of music in a lot of games. I find it detracts from the game itself because it doesn't meld in but demands attention focused on it and frankly I turn the music off in most other games because it gets grating. Warframe I enjoy the music in because it meshes with the factions, it doesn't override the actions I'm choosing to take with I AM EPIC LISTEN TO MY EPIC-NESS I DEMAND ATTENTION like other games it's just there doing exactly what it should be doing: background atmosphere and theming.

Just because you're right about the fight music being unmemorable doesn't mean you're not an ass for how you say it. Coming out and saying "God the music in this game sucks it's terrible" only succeeds in making the person who composed it feel bad. It's destructive criticism, regardless of intent.

Warframe's combat music I think is largely lacking in memorability, and it fades into the background a bit too much. Whilst I probably couldn't beat-for-beat recreate most battle themes in games I enjoy, there's definitely a few memorable parts of the music I can latch onto in most good tracks. Warframe doesn't necessarily have that for its fight themes, outside of 'March of the Moa'

Spoiler

This is an integral part of creating iconic fight or action music, game or otherwise. It allows the gameplay it accompanies to stick in the head because it's associated with that music. Everything from Xenoblade Chronicles X (which, granted, I know that OST was controversial but I loved it), to Deep Rock Galactic have this. And I'd be remiss to not mention Devil May Cry 5 which basically makes a habit of it. 

And I know that the music team is more than capable of some good, memorable melodies. I regularly find myself whistling 'We All Lift Together', 'Sleeping in the Cold Below' is another great tune, 'This is What You Are' is rightfully iconic, and 'Smiles from Juran' and 'Your Creator' both are excellent tunes.  For some reason, the battle music just fails to stick that landing in most cases.

I'm not good enough with music to make any detailed kind of suggestions myself beyond "Melody good" which is probably, like, lesson 0 in music theory, but still.

9 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

That sounds like you don't like the music we have rather than there being no music :\ Which is fine, you can have that opinion but you'd probably get farther if you didn't have such a hostile title.

I don't like the more forceful presence of music in a lot of games. I find it detracts from the game itself because it doesn't meld in but demands attention focused on it and frankly I turn the music off in most other games because it gets grating. Warframe I enjoy the music in because it meshes with the factions, it doesn't override the actions I'm choosing to take with I AM EPIC LISTEN TO MY EPIC-NESS I DEMAND ATTENTION like other games it's just there doing exactly what it should be doing: background atmosphere and theming.

i'm taking your advice and making a different forum with a less hostile name

For the longest time i had always thought that as well as all of my friends but after what a brand new player I'm helping said i just have to say it. he said and i quote

what the heck is this it sounds like someone's cheeks being clapped and what's with the distant screams and banging. we were on Deimos and I had forgot how bad the "music" was because I turned the music off years ago. Please D.E. put some actual battle music in this game rather these glockenspiels and distant banging and screams we have.

Just now, (XBOX)Harbinger XK5 said:

i'm taking your advice and making a different forum with a less hostile name

you should be able to just edit the first post and change the title if you don't want to lose this thread.

Does anyone love classical music? Warframe is all about epic battles. Some grand pieces of concertos composed by Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, and Beethoven may be good idea to be background music of some boss fights. 

*The amazing pianist looks like Rebecca. 

22 hours ago, George_PPS said:

Does anyone love classical music? Warframe is all about epic battles. Some grand pieces of concertos composed by Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, and Beethoven may be good idea to be background music of some boss fights. 

*The amazing pianist looks like Rebecca. 

yes

i agree with you a lot of classical music pieces would go very nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

I just double checked Warframe combat music.   Music and Master to 100%, everything else to 30%.  Only then you can actually hear it during combat.

And its really not that impressive...and here is why:

1) Too much focus on Faction theme....to the point when it becomes annoying with all these faction instruments.  Combat music must fit combat before faction.  Leave that faction themed stuff for ambient.

2) Very few tracks have actual "combat rhythm".  And even if track is rhythmic, beats and bass are pretty blurred, thinned in favor of lesser instruments.  That's a no go. Combat music must be a headbanger.  It must be clean enough to be perfectly audible and memorable even in harshest and noisiest combat. 

3) Warframe combat music doesn't energize you.   That is the KEY feature of combat music.  If music doesn't give you motivation and energy to destroy and fight, its just normal music. Can't call it "combat music"

For example,  Dark souls boss themes are not "Combat music". Its a music that makes bosses look and feel even more intimidating. It tells their story.  That's not a combat music. Its there to make bosses feel even better.  Same happens in Hollow Knight. 

On the other hand, Doom series have perfect combat music.  Anyone can tell.  Tracks like "BFG Division" or "The only thing they fear is You"  are massive, and pressurize your vessels pretty hard. 

On 2021-08-07 at 9:55 AM, Kainosh said:

I just double checked Warframe combat music.   Music and Master to 100%, everything else to 30%.  Only then you can actually hear it during combat.

And its really not that impressive...and here is why:

1) Too much focus on Faction theme....to the point when it becomes annoying with all these faction instruments.  Combat music must fit combat before faction.  Leave that faction themed stuff for ambient.

2) Very few tracks have actual "combat rhythm".  And even if track is rhythmic, beats and bass are pretty blurred, thinned in favor of lesser instruments.  That's a no go. Combat music must be a headbanger.  It must be clean enough to be perfectly audible and memorable even in harshest and noisiest combat. 

3) Warframe combat music doesn't energize you.   That is the KEY feature of combat music.  If music doesn't give you motivation and energy to destroy and fight, its just normal music. Can't call it "combat music"

For example,  Dark souls boss themes are not "Combat music". Its a music that makes bosses look and feel even more intimidating. It tells their story.  That's not a combat music. Its there to make bosses feel even better.  Same happens in Hollow Knight. 

On the other hand, Doom series have perfect combat music.  Anyone can tell.  Tracks like "BFG Division" or "The only thing they fear is You"  are massive, and pressurize your vessels pretty hard. 

While I do enjoy the music in Warframe, I do like the idea that bosses should have their own music when fighting them. The standard Corpus combat music while fighting the Ropalolyst doesn't fit. When I was fighting it I put on Rinzler Recompiled from KHDDD which was a much better fit.

On 2021-08-08 at 10:55 PM, 1up20xdey6 said:

The standard Corpus combat music while fighting the Ropalolyst doesn't fit.

For Ropalolyst  a  dubstep remix of "Rapid adaptation" + "March of the MOA" will be most fitting.   Twisted, just like amalgams, and will have both sentient and moa stuff...just like the fight itself.

Take that sentient "click click click" sound and moa march "pupupupu" synth and do a gradient out of it.  Put it on some massive bass line and beat, and its done. 

Archived