Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is new war going to be warframe's equivalent to wow's cataclysm?

9 minutes ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

Is new war going to drastically change various areas of the game after it hits?

I can't imagine the plains being reset to what it was after what we see from kahl's perspective and this suppose to be a big event that affect many things in the game.

I have been thinking a lot about this, and I am actually confused how they expect to handle it. 

Is it only going to look different during the quest? If so, that's kind of anti-climactic and ruins the whole feel, unless it gets destroyed and then restored all during the same quest? 

Otherwise, how do we handle this? Either it changes for everyone, which could be kind of immersion breaking for early players... or it only shows as different in the Plains for people who have done the quesT?

But then how would matchmaking work? I don't think their spaghetti code would allow for matchmaking to allow, say, only people who have already done the newest quest, to load into a mission with the "future, damaged version" of the plains. 

I just really don't get how this is going to work at all... unless it all magically comes back together before the quest ends with some crazy unum power or something. 

What long running, MMO(-like) SaaS game does NOT have continuity breaking storyline additions?

Same with all the games like this I have ever played.

In some cases, the world will look like your actions have had no impact, that's just how these games usually work.

3 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Otherwise, how do we handle this?

I can't say how they will handle it, but there are plenty of ways to do it.  You can just explicitly offer players the option of which version of a level to go into.  Or only match players with players who are at the same point as then.  Or just take players to whatever the host sees.  Or have the geometry match up so that regardless of the aesthetic, the physical layout is the same.

That said, odds are they won't entirely replace anything with a war-torn version of it.  Because part of the appeal of the Plains is that it's not war-torn, and it would be a bummer to lose that.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I can't say how they will handle it, but there are plenty of ways to do it.  You can just explicitly offer players the option of which version of a level to go into.  Or only match players with players who are at the same point as then.  Or just take players to whatever the host sees.  Or have the geometry match up so that regardless of the aesthetic, the physical layout is the same.

That said, odds are they won't entirely replace anything with a war-torn version of it.  Because part of the appeal of the Plains is that it's not war-torn, and it would be a bummer to lose that.

IDK... maybe I am making it more complicated than it is. But like, I don't mean this as a bash towards DE's staff, and maybe I'm just being overly cynical, but I am not super confident in them handling it in a way that isn't kind of a sloppy mess. 

Perhaps.

I doubt that it's going to be a Destiny 2 content vault situation. For those not in the know, around the time of Beyond Light, they pulled a similar situation, with the darkness consuming much of the system, which caused the loss of a lot of content. This has been dubbed the 'Destiny content vault' and it is, for lack of a better term, extremely controversial. Especially since included quite a bit of content that people outright paid for - if you paid for Warmind back in the day, tough luck, it's gone. The entire Red War campaign exists soley as lets plays now. An a lot of other stuff.

I highly doubt that's going to happen, because it doesn't make financial sense. DE is in hot water for the two big pieces of content that they have removed (solar rails and raids) to this day, and DE had honestly good reasons for both, so axing content entirely for it feels like it's not gonna happen.

However, it's possible that non-destructive changes may occur, similar to how post TSD, the moon appears in the sky on the Plains. For example, if the player has completed the New War, the Unum is visibly broken, maybe a couple minor characters die (I could definitely see Pedlak dying, for instance) and other things. Perhaps it unlocks new areas in the open world only accessible after TNW's completion.

Alternatively, I've seen it suggested that the player could switch the star chart into a 'post TNW' mode. I'm not entirely fond of that, but I'm not opposed to it, either.

34 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

After Jovian Concord and Hostile Mergers happened, yet Alad V can still send Zanuka Harvester at us like it's still 2014? I highly doubt it

Well I mean Zanuka could just be a mass-produced rip-off at this point (it sure dies like one).

59 minutes ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

Is new war going to drastically change various areas of the game after it hits?

I can't imagine the plains being reset to what it was after what we see from kahl's perspective and this suppose to be a big event that affect many things in the game.

I imagine it will work exactly like Lua in the Second Dream.  There is no Moon.  Then you do a thing, and the Moon returns.  After that, it is a place you can visit if you want.

They can't really nuke the Plains, because there's too much other gameplay that loops through there.  Earth is the starting planet, there's a story mission that has to take place well before the New War, and the events of New War refer back to stuff you can't really do until you've basically cleared the Starchart anyway.

"Plains On Fire" will either exist just in the story mission, or be a separate version of the Plains you can visit once you clear the story.  Because otherwise, everything about the Plains pretty much just breaks.  Eidolons?  Broken.  Plague Star (when/if it ever happens again)?  Broken.  Bounties?  Broken.  Heck, even *fishing* would be broken, because I can't imagine that would be a good time when everything is on fire and swarming with Sentients.  (We'll ignore the question of whether fishing is "a good time" to begin with, because it would undoubtedly be worse with a Conculyst trying to stab a baseball bat through your head.)

5 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

I imagine it will work exactly like Lua in the Second Dream.  There is no Moon.  Then you do a thing, and the Moon returns.  After that, it is a place you can visit if you want.

They can't really nuke the Plains, because there's too much other gameplay that loops through there.  Earth is the starting planet, there's a story mission that has to take place well before the New War, and the events of New War refer back to stuff you can't really do until you've basically cleared the Starchart anyway.

"Plains On Fire" will either exist just in the story mission, or be a separate version of the Plains you can visit once you clear the story.  Because otherwise, everything about the Plains pretty much just breaks.  Eidolons?  Broken.  Plague Star (when/if it ever happens again)?  Broken.  Bounties?  Broken.  Heck, even *fishing* would be broken, because I can't imagine that would be a good time when everything is on fire and swarming with Sentients.  (We'll ignore the question of whether fishing is "a good time" to begin with, because it would undoubtedly be worse with a Conculyst trying to stab a baseball bat through your head.)

This makes the most sense to me, probably something special you have to do there although it may end up being just another new place to grind new stuff lol, but maybe it will eventually lead up to the Duviri Paradox or something? 

Maybe similar to how Railjack Navigation is.

You Toggle a new Navigation Screen, it wont be the whole Starchart, but some key points.

In this new version, there are different missions and progression than pre-New War, focusing sorely in that aspect.

So I really haven't played World of Warcraft, so correct me if I am wrong, but if I understand it correctly, the big thing about Cataclysm was that it changed world pretty drastically. I'd say that that was pretty unlikely for New War to do. It would likely mean that DE would have to strictly segregate players based on mission progress, which is something they seem to have been pretty hesitant to do because it would result in making grouping more difficult for a lot of people. At most, I could see them possibly doing something visual on the client side that maybe makes some purely cosmetic changes, like maybe if you have completed New War, the tower in Cetus is flagged to appear damaged or something. But I honestly don't see anything major changing. Even when probably the most significant major event story wise happened that realistically should technically have made a permanent change, the only real result for overall gameplay was a minor graphical change. So yeah... at most, it will probably either be very superficial cosmetic changes on the client side that don't mess with the geometry or it will some sort of new mission you can manually choose to play (similar to something like Syndicates or Nightmare) or something like Thermal Vents or Ghoul infestations where the Sentients pop up and cause problems once in awhile.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

DE is in hot water for the two big pieces of content that they have removed (solar rails and raids) to this day

I'm sorry, but that's not even remotely close to being true. Assuming you mean Trials and not the actual mission type called Raid from very early on that most people probably don't even know existed, DE stated that less than 1% of players engaged with content like Solar Rails and Trials. They were removed because no one liked them or wanted them in the game except a very minuscule group of people that liked and benefited from. It's quite literally impossible to be in hot water when 99+% of people don't care and are completely unaffected by the removal of something they didn't play in the first place or outright just made things annoying.

9 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

I'm sorry, but that's not even remotely close to being true. Assuming you mean Trials and not the actual mission type called Raid from very early on that most people probably don't even know existed, DE stated that less than 1% of players engaged with content like Solar Rails and Trials. They were removed because no one liked them or wanted them in the game except a very minuscule group of people that liked and benefited from. It's quite literally impossible to be in hot water when 99+% of people don't care and are completely unaffected by the removal of something they didn't play in the first place or outright just made things annoying.

Maybe my perspective is skewed, but people still complain about them around here. I never played either of those things myself, but people still vehemently hold removing it against them. I'm just reporting what I've seen.

47 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

I’m thinking it will be a toggle like how we do SP or Railjack. We will just toggle New War. That way DE has free rain to do whatever they want and it won’t break immersion for new players not yet at that point in the story. 

this^ would be the best way to go about it. it would allow DE to provide a proper version of a Sentient invaded system, where they can appear on most or all tiles, and remnants of their fallen ships can be incorporated into the tiles. this version of the star chart would be unlocked for completing the quest, but all the nodes would already be playable: it's just now you're going to fight against Sentients. 

we could also finally get Sentient Invasion missions, where we help the Grineer or Corpus drive them out and reclaim a node, which would make it feel like the war doesn't just straight up disappear after the quest: even once Erra is dead and/or the Sentients are beaten, the countless number of frontline forces already deployed aren't just gonna up and leave, now are they? we already fight what remains of the Old War forces, so those and the newer Sentients will take a long time to wipe out. (but for gameplay reasons, these would be permanent.)

Think about it. From the demo and new war cinematics. The sentients are here to kill everyone take the kuva from cetus and go home.

The amalgums use sentient tech given by spacemom well she was in disguise.  The corpus rely on thier machines.  The machines will turn on them like skynet in terminator.

The grineer are too weak to win. And cetus is under siege.  S#&$ has hit the fan everywhere. The warframes are the last stand and last hope.

But notice the weird red eye mind control happening in the demo. And lotus controlling us in the cinematics.  Theres something up. A mcguffin that will allow the sentients to beat us.

Which in turn will probably open the way to duviri.  Which i hope will link to the adult operaters and a hige overhaul of the tenno.

Don't be afraid

10 minutes ago, (PSN)Kakurine2 said:

Think about it. From the demo and new war cinematics. The sentients are here to kill everyone take the kuva from cetus and go home.

The amalgums use sentient tech given by spacemom well she was in disguise.  The corpus rely on thier machines.  The machines will turn on them like skynet in terminator.

The grineer are too weak to win. And cetus is under siege.  S#&$ has hit the fan everywhere. The warframes are the last stand and last hope.

But notice the weird red eye mind control happening in the demo. And lotus controlling us in the cinematics.  Theres something up. A mcguffin that will allow the sentients to beat us.

Which in turn will probably open the way to duviri.  Which i hope will link to the adult operaters and a hige overhaul of the tenno.

Don't be afraid

I think the do not be afraid line is not analyzed enough... imo it has a deeper meaning.

It was always assumed, I thought, that the sentients want to wipe us out. But consider the amalgams and the way he talks to Kahl, and doesn't immediately kill him? Or the young Cetus kid he says it to? Is his plan to start assimilating others to the sentients now, instead of just outright destroying non sentient life? Is the new plan to make amalgam lifeforms and slowly take over and reshape the sol system in their image, without just killing all life forms? Hmmm.... 

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Maybe my perspective is skewed, but people still complain about them around here. I never played either of those things myself, but people still vehemently hold removing it against them. I'm just reporting what I've seen.

Yeah, sure people still complain. A very, very, very, very small number of people, mostly people who invested a lot of time in those systems because it allowed them to make huge profits. The Solar Rails was a handful of clans warring over the rails so their clan could demand tribute from anyone playing Dark Sectors in the form of a cut of their resource and credit drops and when the fighting was going on, the Dark Sectors were unavailable for several days at a time which screwed everyone over because Dark Sectors were the best way to level back then. But it was only like the very top clans that participated in it, so hardly anyone was apart of it. The Trials thing, DE flat out said it was a very dedicated, but small group of Arcane farmers that totaled less than 1% of the player base when they made the announcement they were removing Trials. No one else wanted to play Trials because they were super boring and ultra meta controlled.

1 hour ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I think the do not be afraid line is not analyzed enough... imo it has a deeper meaning.

It was always assumed, I thought, that the sentients want to wipe us out. But consider the amalgams and the way he talks to Kahl, and doesn't immediately kill him? Or the young Cetus kid he says it to? Is his plan to start assimilating others to the sentients now, instead of just outright destroying non sentient life? Is the new plan to make amalgam lifeforms and slowly take over and reshape the sol system in their image, without just killing all life forms? Hmmm.... 

Its possible. But the thing i notice with eras eyes or even those affected eyes is the same red eyed brainwashed looking eyes we see in the new war cinematics when lotus was puppeting us.

The cinematics tell us straight up. Lotus can sense us and has some sort of power over us.

When all the other forces in the system fall. And we are the last defense. What happens when lotus flips a switch and brainwashes us?

My guess is we will lose. Cetus will fall. The duviri paradox starts off with the tenno getting hit by a void storm on the railjack.

What if after lotus activates her trump card we run get smacked by a void storm. Awaken as our paradoxical adult selves.  Then we fo a quest that further explains the void, our pasts, wally, etc.

At the end the 2 paradoxical tennos dbz fuse into one new more powerful being that lotus can't control. We now have better tenno with better everything.  We use our reality breaking powers to go back in time to face lotus right after our past selves ran.  We stop them, save cetus and then decide what to do with her.

Thats my guess where we are heading.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Kakurine2 said:

Its possible. But the thing i notice with eras eyes or even those affected eyes is the same red eyed brainwashed looking eyes we see in the new war cinematics when lotus was puppeting us.

The cinematics tell us atraight up. Lotus can sense us and has some sort of power over us.

When all the other forces in the system fall. And we are the last defense. What happens when lotus flips a switch and brainwashes us?

My guess is we will lose. Cetus will fall. The duviri paradox starts off with the tenno getting hit by a void storm on the railjack.

What if after lotus activates her trump card we run get smacked by a void storm. Awaken as our paradoxical adult selves.  Then we fo a quest that further explains the void, our pasts, wally, etc.

At the end the 2 paradoxical tennos dbz fuse into one new more powerful being that lotus can't control. We now have better tenno with better everything.  We use our reality breaking powers to go back in time to face lotus right after our past selves ran.  We stop them, save cetus and then decide what to do with her.

Thats my guess where we are heading.

I gotta say, even if you are barking up the wrong tree, that was fascinating to read, and something like that sounds like a really fun adventure to play through! 

Archived