Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dealing With Hostile Players [Request For /ignore /blacklist]

xethier

I have a crap internet connection.

There is nothing that I can do about it.

I live in an area where the only connection I can get is DSL and I'm on the outer edge of it's range.

(ah, the wonders of regional monopolies)

As such, when my son (who is 13) and I play together, We have to host.

Not a big deal on anything but survival missions as those take quite a bit more bandwidth per user.

Recently, I've been running into a large number of players who want to rail off against my net connection.

I usually respond with "then quit" which, typically, results in a string of profanity and/or personal attacks.

Personally, I don't care what they think, etc. However, when my son is playing with me, I do not appreciate this kind of behavior. So I've taken to disconnecting the internet uplink for long enough to break the connection.

This kicks everybody but my son and I from the game.

Now, I'm okay with this, however, there's usually only one turd in the mix and the other guy is caught in the cross-fire of my removal of him. I don't want to do this, but as I'm hosting this on my hardware, using my 'net connection, it sticks in my craw that the game design basically allows him to be a jerk and there's little I can do about him unless I'm willing to throw another innocent player under the bus.

Hence this posting. As this community grows, the number of childish, ignorant, wastes of oxygen increase as well. The need for this type of system is becoming more and more apparent.

I can't ignore these people while in-game, I can't blacklist them from joining my games in the future. I don't wish to start playing private all the time as I'd be limiting myself to 2 players and that's not how this game was intended.

So please, DE, add something that will allow me to mitigate this problem.

I love this idea personally, I was just thinking last night if there was a way to block people to keep them from getting into a game you have up or something, I don't need it personally but I was just curious. Anyways I totally agree with you and I definitely see where you're coming from, but if you need someone to play with until this issue gets resolved then I'm open to play whenever I'm on.

I always respond to bad hosting with a half-joking "Host, your computer/internet is bad and you should feel bad". Sorry if you've ever gotten me in a run and been bothered by that; I've always intended it as a cross between letting someone know they are a bad host and a plea for them not to host in the future. And a Futurama reference.

With that out of the way, I've got some more stuff to say:

1. Calling people "childish, ignorant, wastes of oxygen" for being &!$$y about the single biggest problem with this game (peer-to-peer problems) is not cool. They shouldn't be cursing you out, but that doesn't make insulting them cool either.

2. I don't understand why you "have to host". Can you explain? I might be able to figure out a workaround.

3. From experience, I can say that (for mission types other than survival and defense), the two player experience for this game is pretty good as long as you don't go to the higher-level planets (which there's no real reason to go to other than to get their warframes anyway)

4. Just as an FYI, if you're using a wireless internet connection to host, you shouldn't; wired connections create a MUCH more stable experience for your clients.

Edited by OblivionNecroninja

I am not saying it wouldn't be nice to have that but there are other options besides private

aka invite only

make some friends, join a clan, go to the recruitment channel and warn them before they join that your a bad host. Go to the recruitment forum and ask for people to play with who don't mind the lag as much

Also please explain why you have to host?

Ah the wonders of having **** internet. I understand OP. My computer is constantly being propositioned by 3-5 different wireless networks and it tries to connect to all of them at once. This seems to create crippling lag for anyone in game with me while I'm hosting, but if I don't host I'm stuck watching people moon walk and enemies randomly pop in before disappearing. Sometimes I get a good connection to someone, but these times are few and far between. Point is, I understand. I'd like a blacklist feature (not a kick system) to be implemented because I have seen this happen to other laggy hosts. It doesn't happen to me because I start every game (that I'm hosting) by apologizing for the lag that they WILL be experiencing. 

You can in fact ignore people in-game, at least i do it all the time. 

/i usernamehere

However i do believe adding a blacklist option to prevent us getting into games with people we do not like or preventing them from getting into ours would be a great thing to add. I've been hoping that DE would get this along with other minor things that should have been added at the start done.

Ah the wonders of having **** internet. I understand OP. My computer is constantly being propositioned by 3-5 different wireless networks and it tries to connect to all of them at once. This seems to create crippling lag for anyone in game with me while I'm hosting, but if I don't host I'm stuck watching people moon walk and enemies randomly pop in before disappearing. Sometimes I get a good connection to someone, but these times are few and far between. Point is, I understand. I'd like a blacklist feature (not a kick system) to be implemented because I have seen this happen to other laggy hosts. It doesn't happen to me because I start every game (that I'm hosting) by apologizing for the lag that they WILL be experiencing. 

>.<'

Wow, somebody does NOT know how to set up a wireless connection.

Your computer SHOULD have those in a prioritized list, so it will connect to the best one and then not try to connect to any of the others.

Edited by OblivionNecroninja

>.<'

Wow, somebody does NOT know how to set up a wireless connection.

Your computer SHOULD have those in a prioritized list, so it will connect to the best one and then not try to connect to any of the others.

I don't, I asked my father about it (he worked on computers and such while in the military) but he just doesn't have the free time. And there is a check box for setting my computer to automatically connect to those networks, for some reason that check box is ALWAYS checked. Even if I uncheck it.

I always respond to bad hosting with a half-joking "Host, your computer/internet is bad and you should feel bad". Sorry if you've ever gotten me in a run and been bothered by that; I've always intended it as a cross between letting someone know they are a bad host and a plea for them not to host in the future. And a Futurama reference.

With that out of the way, I've got some more stuff to say:

1. Calling people "childish, ignorant, wastes of oxygen" for being &!$$y about the single biggest problem with this game (peer-to-peer problems) is not cool. They shouldn't be cursing you out, but that doesn't make insulting them cool either.

2. I don't understand why you "have to host". Can you explain? I might be able to figure out a workaround.

3. From experience, I can say that (for mission types other than survival and defense), the two player experience for this game is pretty good as long as you don't go to the higher-level planets (which there's no real reason to go to other than to get their warframes anyway)

4. Just as an FYI, if you're using a wireless internet connection to host, you shouldn't; wired connections create a MUCH more stable experience for your clients.

1: What else would you call a person who's made themselves out to be a griefer, and who's entire conversational skills boil down to profanity and/or abusive strings of ignorance?

2: I don't have to, but if I don't, I have to spend a (larger than i'd like) portion of time to find someone to host for us, to guarantee that my son and I are in the same game.

3: I'm well aware, however when running with low-level warframes and/or weapons the difficulty is increased more than i'm always willing to deal with.

4: To give you background on my connection here. I run a self-built router using an intel atom w/ gig-e network cards on a gig-e switch. The local connection is absolutely as fast as it can be without going to fiber or other, similarly expensive solutions.

The systems in question are an i7 3.0ghz w/ 16gb of ram and a 470gtx video, my son's is a core-2-quad w 8gb of ram and a 260gtx. 

I am not saying it wouldn't be nice to have that but there are other options besides private

aka invite only

make some friends, join a clan, go to the recruitment channel and warn them before they join that your a bad host. Go to the recruitment forum and ask for people to play with who don't mind the lag as much

Also please explain why you have to host?

See #2 above.

itsJustThomas -- thanks for the information, I tried /ignore and it didn't work, never thought to try just /i

rest assured this will be used liberally in my future games.

Edited by xethier

I don't, I asked my father about it (he worked on computers and such while in the military) but he just doesn't have the free time. And there is a check box for setting my computer to automatically connect to those networks, for some reason that check box is ALWAYS checked. Even if I uncheck it.

delete the ones you don't wish to use, not just unchecking them. (iirc that works in windows)

I'm more of a linux person than windows so take any advice from me about windows with a grain of salt.

If you have a bad connection you should be playing private games. It is very frustrating to have to deal with someone who is lagging. Some people don't have a lot of time to play and your just wasting it and that is extremely rude. So on top of that you force them to disconnect? Little bit of hypocrisy no?

4: To give you background on my connection here. I run a self-built router using an intel atom w/ gig-e network cards on a gig-e switch. The local connection is absolutely as fast as it can be without going to fiber or other, similarly expensive solutions.

If your router's OS allows for it, you should try port forwarding; this has solved many of the lag issues when I host.

However, since a recent update (sometime during the Gradivus Dilemma event or shortly after), the internet has been choppy again, for me at least. This is due, to my suggestion, from a host's upload speed. If not that, then something is being limited internet-wise. Even port forwarding won't solve the lag issues for me. It's like this: at the start of a game, the internet is perfect. Wait a few minutes, and the internet will start lagging for no reason. This all started with some 10.5.0+ update. DE needs to fix this; but I am not certain if they have been notified. I can not submit a bug report, as I do not have hard proof; but it is noticeable.

Furthermore, xethier, I do not appreciate toxic players either; however, if someone had told me that my internet is bad, no matter how offensive of a manner they said it in, I would want to fix my internet. I would do anything to make other players happy, and not more aggravated. Share the love :)

If you have a bad connection you should be playing private games. It is very frustrating to have to deal with someone who is lagging. Some people don't have a lot of time to play and your just wasting it and that is extremely rude. So on top of that you force them to disconnect? Little bit of hypocrisy no?

I'm not disconnecting someone due to the fact that they're lagging. I'm disconnecting them due to their behavior and profanity. I watch my logs, he was lagging a little bit, but by no means unplayable. Additionally, they are under no obligation to stay connected to my server, you can always leave the game. So no, I don't see hypocrisy here.

If your router's OS allows for it, you should try port forwarding; this has solved many of the lag issues when I host.

However, since a recent update (sometime during the Gradivus Dilemma event or shortly after), the internet has been choppy again, for me at least. This is due, to my suggestion, from a host's upload speed. If not that, then something is being limited internet-wise. Even port forwarding won't solve the lag issues for me. It's like this: at the start of a game, the internet is perfect. Wait a few minutes, and the internet will start lagging for no reason. This all started with some 10.5.0+ update. DE needs to fix this; but I am not certain if they have been notified. I can not submit a bug report, as I do not have hard proof; but it is noticeable.

Furthermore, xethier, I do not appreciate toxic players either; however, if someone had told me that my internet is bad, no matter how offensive of a manner they said it in, I would want to fix my internet. I would do anything to make other players happy, and not more aggravated. Share the love :)

Do you honestly believe that someone with the skill to build their own router wouldn't know how to forward ports? I've even gone so far as to add warframe's data connections to my QOS setup @ ack levels. And if you've actually read my initial post, you'd understand that due to a regional monopoly by ETC (ellijay telephone company) i have no other options available to me. I can assure you that i've spent an absurd amount of time trying to smooth out my connection for other players with this game.

OP

Have you considered using 'private' settings instead? No, seriously. You're saving yourself (and your son) hassle, and you're also preventing people from being on such a terrible connection if you made that switch. Not being rude or anything, but the option is there.

On a more rude note:

How old is your son? If you're concerned about him being exposed to bad language, then maybe you shouldn't let him play a game that lets you chop enemies up into chunks of gore. Bad parenting, sir.

Edited by Pizzarugi

I agree with this post.

While some of us agree with some of your points OP and even understand your reasons BUT the manner which you are going about and even requesting for this option isnt going to help in the long run.

You are frustrated with people's behaviours/manner but on the other end those people are frustrated because they cant do a thing in the game. They feel helpless as well. It's no win-win situtation.

I myself cant host (outside of my region) and therefore i would never host online games because i know how frustrating and miserable it can be when there is major lag in the entire game. You can say that the game wasn't meant to be played in this manner but i like to take into consideration about other players. so for me its solo/private and invite only. Rarely online. Simple fact: i cant host online games outside of my region unless i do something about my internet package.

Cheers

OP

Have you considered using 'private' settings instead? No, seriously. You're saving yourself (and your son) hassle, and you're also preventing people from being on such a terrible connection if you made that switch. Not being rude or anything, but the option is there.

and i frequently do. and don't think that i can't host. only one in 20 people scream about my connection. and i ask frequently. 

it's only under high amounts of mobs/loot load that things fall over. (t1-3 defense / survival) is the only thing that can cause major problems.

the incident in question, i never went above 40k upload, so i'm certain that if he was lagging it wasn't unplayable levels of it.

only when i reach up to the 70k+ range does lag become unplayable. (i've verified this with local friends who do play)

edit:

and really, if you don't want lag, drop down your ping limit levels, don't bash the guy who's trying his best to host a game (usually without problems) this posting was not about how to fix your lag problems / bash the guy with crap 'net.

it's about trying to highlight a problem with the matchmaking system because of (a much better term than my initial) toxic players who because they lagged for 500ms decide to start bashing the host.

Edited by xethier

Do you honestly believe that someone with the skill to build their own router wouldn't know how to forward ports? I've even gone so far as to add warframe's data connections to my QOS setup @ ack levels. And if you've actually read my initial post, you'd understand that due to a regional monopoly by ETC (ellijay telephone company) i have no other options available to me. I can assure you that i've spent an absurd amount of time trying to smooth out my connection for other players with this game.

I'm sorry sir, but if you had read my post fully, you would understand that it is not completely your responsibility that your internet is bad -- DE has yet to optimize it, or even discover that it has to be optimized through their code. Furthermore, can you please calm down... it is frustrating for everyone to deal with someone who doesn't listen well. This shall be my last post in this topic, as I can offer no more help.

I'm sorry sir, but if you had read my post fully, you would understand that it is not completely your responsibility that your internet is bad -- DE has yet to optimize it, or even discover that it has to be optimized through their code. Furthermore, can you please calm down... it is frustrating for everyone to deal with someone who doesn't listen well. This shall be my last post in this topic, as I can offer no more help.

i am calm. what i'm not is tolerant. -- honestly, i'm not interested in help, i'm an IT professional and know my business extremely well. There is nothing more i can do to improve my connection or latency. the entire point of this diatribe was to highlight this issue and request (in hyperbolic tones) that DE do something to mitigate this for players who would rather not deal with abusive / irritating players who are using my connection / hardware to be a pain. i don't appreciate the fact that these types of people cannot be sifted out of my gaming time.

i realize that i'm being a (somewhat less than those i'm referring to) acerbic human being right now, and i apologize if i've offended your sensibilities in my ranting here. i'm being confrontational because this is an issue that can (and should) be addressed by the devs. players can only do so much. (as evidenced by my solution to the problem -- dropping 'net momentarily to flush them out)

edit:

it occurs to me that i could (and might) write a script on my router to keep track of IP addresses of those connecting to my hosted games so that i can correlate names with IP's and block them in iptables... however, that's a big hack for a feature that should already exist within the game and doesn't solve the problem of dynamic ip changes.

Edited by xethier

Xethier, I'm sorry but you have to understand in one way or another that you are not equipped for this game from a hosting perspective.  There are specific system and network requirements needed to make the game playable.  You might think they are disrespecting you, but by creating a bad experience for other players, especially when you know it in advance is the root cause of the problem and is the first act of disrespect.

You are putting your desire to play this game a certain way ahead of the others, and yet you are asking people to join with you.  Do you not see where that is a contradiction?

Yes it's your key, but that doesn't matter.  That's like giving someone mud for their birthday and saying, "But it's mud that came from me... with love."

They need to implement a way in which we can use your key, but have people like me be the host.  Solves everything, but since they aren't there yet, please only join other people who host and simply tell them you have a +1, I'm sure many would appreciate that because it speeds up recruiting.  But if you lag yourself badly enough to where you aren't carrying your own weight in the party, that's a whole other level of disrespect, but I'm going to assume that when you join other games, that you can carry your weight.

However i do believe adding a blacklist option to prevent us getting into games with people we do not like or preventing them from getting into ours would be a great thing to add. I've been hoping that DE would get this along with other minor things that should have been added at the start done.

This.

this wasn't a tower run, i don't ever host those, as i know better.

this was a simple apollodorus run. or other random games.

and as i said before. most of my hosting sessions aren't *that* bad. 

i recognize what you're saying here, i do.

do you understand that i'm not saying i'm blameless here?

do you realize that hosting with a 600ms ping or so *is* playable, and that regardless of the issues surrounding *my* hosting that this issue needs to be addressed for a whole host of other reasons?

already today, i've seen at least 2 other threads from people being griefed by other players.

sadly, i've seen many responses in the threads laughing at the OP and validating the griefers?

if we want to take away from this thread that the netcode needs to be optimized, great. good, let's do that.

if you want to take away from this thread that a blacklist / vote kick needs to be implemented, good, let's do that.

if you want to take away from this thread that xethier is a total jerk and needs to be added to everyone's blacklist as soon as it's implemented, fine. i'm okay with that.

by the same token that i'm asking for a blacklist to stay away from "toxic" players, those same "MUST BE 20ms PING" players can blacklist me and we can ignore each other.

Xethier, I'm sorry but you have to understand in one way or another that you are not equipped for this game from a hosting perspective.  There are specific system and network requirements needed to make the game playable.  You might think they are disrespecting you, but by creating a bad experience for other players, especially when you know it in advance is the root cause of the problem and is the first act of disrespect.

You are putting your desire to play this game a certain way ahead of the others, and yet you are asking people to join with you.  Do you not see where that is a contradiction?

Yes it's your key, but that doesn't matter.  That's like giving someone mud for their birthday and saying, "But it's mud that came from me... with love."

They need to implement a way in which we can use your key, but have people like me be the host.  Solves everything, but since they aren't there yet, please only join other people who host and simply tell them you have a +1, I'm sure many would appreciate that because it speeds up recruiting.  But if you lag yourself badly enough to where you aren't carrying your own weight in the party, that's a whole other level of disrespect, but I'm going to assume that when you join other games, that you can carry your weight.

i totally agree with you sir.

your last paragraph is dead on. i've evangalized for just this on a number of threads. from the "one-key-to-rule-them-all" thread as well as others. those that know me know i'm a very conscientious player and frequently top the damage / accuracy / rez boards. I look out for my fellow tenno and have nothing but respect for those that are respectful.

On a more rude note:

How old is your son? If you're concerned about him being exposed to bad language, then maybe you shouldn't let him play a game that lets you chop enemies up into chunks of gore. Bad parenting, sir.

That was not a rude note, it was an imbecile one. His son is 13, which is stated in the post you failed to read. A parent can choose whatever games they want their children to play and it is absolutely none of your business. I commend him on wanting to play with his 13 yo and spare him of internet types such as yourself.