Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's the point of the 'missions failed' stat?

Kitsune-Orrion

If it's meant to denote how bad someone plays, you can abort missions and get the same rewards. If it's meant to denote how many times people go AFK after entering a mission, the name's not right. The only way you can actually fail a mission is to intentionally stay past the point of failure and not leave before then... or, alternatively, to enter a mission and then go AFK for some reason which, if not super important, you can then just abort anyway.

I have heard that DE wants to have people fail missions more, and if that's the case then the only way to do so without fundamentally changing the ability to abort missions, is to make missions give partial completion rewards greater than abortion rewards if you fail them. Otherwise, it's a redundant stat! People already know how many missions I leave on average and I don't need a reminder of the 35 times I've been called by X while playing, because there are also a number of those in my 250+ aborted missions!

22 minutes ago, Kitsune-Orrion said:

People already know how many missions I leave on average and I don't need a reminder of the 35 times I've been called by X while playing, because there are also a number of those in my 250+ aborted missions!

Why would people know how many missions you leave?

1 minute ago, Kitsune-Orrion said:

The *only* way to fail a mission is to go AFK

what about lich murmur farming in a defence or mobile defence missoin and the lich hits the defence target? it can 1-2 shot that thing

2 minutes ago, Kitsune-Orrion said:

Well, like, that's the only other use for the stat I see. The *only* way to fail a mission is to go AFK or to be completely new and unfamiliar with aborting them.

Ooooh, I see. Haha, I misinterpreted it, sorry 😅. I thought you were well known or something (and that I wasn’t familiar with your work)

2 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Why would people know how many missions you leave?

Kitsune-Orrion
Missions Completed 2,287
Missions Failed          35
Missions Quit            423

When playing in a squad of mates the host if we didn't get the right tileset would abort the mission and we'd try again, a few are me Aborting because I screwed up and forgot to equip something . . .

Missions Completed 29,191
Missions Failed          351
Missions Quit            643

I just ignore the BIG TEXT lol I don't care.

4 minutes ago, Kitsune-Orrion said:

Well, like, that's the only other use for the stat I see. The *only* way to fail a mission is to go AFK or to be completely new and unfamiliar with aborting them.

There are also bugs that force failure/quitting.

I've had enemies spawn in the ground or in walls with no way for the group to kill them on the, I believe Ceres, defense map. So we just kill ourselves with electricity proc on the rail. These forced failure bugs have happened to me on multiple occasions that add up.

9 minutes ago, Kitsune-Orrion said:

🤔 I fail at times because I get overwhelmed or don’t defend well or something. Lost a Mantis… something part once. (can’t remember what it was, it’s been a bit). That stung, haha. 

(sorry for the double post, I was too embarrassed to respond to the post proper the first time 😋).

24 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

No one takes the fail stat seriously because DE makes a lot of stuff that is efficient to quit partly through like lich weapon farming. 

So pretend it doesn't exist it doesn't matter.

Liches probably inflated this stat quite a lot, but not for the reasons that DE might have hoped. I do it all the time if my lich gets to Kuva Fort and doesn't spawn in the mission types I'm willing to play so it doesn't clear off my chart and force me to play a mode I hate. I also do it to players who BM/grief/don't stab their liches/etc just to force migrate them and let them deal with all the bugs/errors that result from it.

Before that, it was pretty rare and was usually only the result of a bugged mission. It was super, super rare that it was my inability to complete the mission.

1 hour ago, Tesseract7777 said:

No one takes the fail stat seriously because DE makes a lot of stuff that is efficient to quit partly through like lich weapon farming. 

So pretend it doesn't exist it doesn't matter.

Not to mention the times when you fail missions due to bugs and other unavoidable issues. They should remove the stat because I'd say a good 20-30% of most peoples' failed missions are a result of bugs.

The point is the same as counting how many times someone has died in a single player game or how many steps they've taken etc. It is there for novelty and for those who for whatever reason find it interesting, everyone else can safely ignore it.

Mostly for the people who loves statistics. Usually these stats are worth only for the ones whom like to brag about how good or how bad they are. These stats not telling exactly what is your skill because I am sure most of us who failed in this game failed often because game breaking bugs. Normally any developer who implement stats like this wants to create an immersion to the player to force them to try improve in the game. The game is not that hard, sometimes it can be trashy because of the rng involved but usually cake walk. 

Well if you take a look at the Stats Summary page, it's really just a hodgepodge of random statistics for stats fiends.  I barely know what any of the "Operation Scores" are, even the ones that I've apparently done and have non-zero scores on.  IMO, only the "Completion Rate" should matter, if any at all, since that is a very rough indicator of how likely someone is to stick with and complete a mission you start with them.  Although, I do not even know what DE counts as a Quit, as I have quickly canceled out of missions that got started before I can leave a PUG, have quit many times because I brought the wrong loadout, have quit several times because I had the wrong public/private settings, etc.

5 hours ago, Kitsune-Orrion said:

It's one thing to say most people don't fail often, but it's silly to pretend there aren't ways to fail outside of AFK or intention. Destruction of a Defence/Mobile Defence target, Interception missions can be failed, and of course there is the rarely seen 'This one idiot on my team died 6 times and never waited for anyone to revive him, so now we all fail'.

Kela did a backflip through a closed door and just stood there. I did not have any weapons with punch through. Guess I "failed". 

Then there's all my "failed" missions on Railjack because half the level didn't load after 20 minutes of waiting. 

Only real "failed" missions I have were where the Mobile Defense terminal got Rad Proc'd. 

Archived