Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe worth getting back into?

snekity

So I recently reinstalled Warframe after thinking I'll give it another chance. I have a total of 300 hours in-game and I'm MR 10. I did not watch any dev streams in my absence and neither have I visited the forums, so I don't really know what has happened in that time. My question is: Is Warframe worth getting back into? I've heard something about new corpus liches. Are they any good?

Aside from new content the base game hasn't changed much. It is still a shooter-looter mmo with a lot of grind. Some of the new content you might love, other new content you might hate because the grind is so hard/long.

With you telling us why you quit warframe or what you are looking to be doing in warframe we can't really get you much better feedback/tips.

It depends what do you want from game. Warframe is currently objectively the best game in the world, that covers very huge playerbase (from poor people with potato pc to millionaires, all can play game equally), it has pretty good and interesting lore, nice balance (haha, yes, but if you want, you can play whole game with vanilla excalibur and hek), not even counting huge numbers of gameplay fillers like necromech, operator, railjack etc, grind is not important , I was playing probably around 800 hours with single frame and few guns only.

Sure game has a lot of problems, but does it make the game worse? No.

But if you don’t enjoy gameplay, why bother with it?

Info request; at what point did you stop playing?

If it was during 2020, then not a lot has changed, although the additions make what was there in 2020 quite a lot better.

On the other hand, if it was mid-2018 or earlier, then a lot has changed and you might want to consider what's here and whether it interests you.

2 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

Warframe is currently objectively the best game in the world

There is no such thing. It's pure subjective taste.

As to answer your question OP, it depends on why you stopped, and when you stopped. If you stopped because of a lack of new things to do, then how worth Warframe is getting back into would be vastly different if you stopped in late 2017 vs last month. It's all subjectivity, like I said, what Warframe will be worth to you is up to you, and we can only give advice if we have more information to go off.

1 час назад, Loza03 сказал:

There is no such thing. It's pure subjective taste.

No it’s exactly objective thing. Warframe does for free many things that other game developers makes for money. Sometimes even very big money. Like it or not liking it that’s subjective. That’s why OP question isn’t really  correct as we don’t know what does he like in this game. 

7 minutes ago, SpiritTeA said:

No it’s exactly objective thing. Warframe does for free many things that other game developers makes for money. Sometimes even very big money. Like it or not liking it that’s subjective. That’s why OP question isn’t really  correct as we don’t know what does he like in this game. 

Doing something for free doesn't indicate quality. I love Warframe a lot, but there is no such thing as the 'objectively best game'. Case and point, Genshin Impact is offering a Breath of the Wild style vast open world that most games would charge sixty dollars or more for. It's also a Gacha hellscape designed to suck your wallet dry.

4 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

On the other hand, if it was mid-2018 or earlier, then a lot has changed and you might want to consider what's here and whether it interests you.

That's right. We don't know if the OP even knows what "railjack" is.

Chances are, if they have to ask, it probably doesn't matter what Warframe has to offer--they won't like it. By the time I was MR10, I was hooked on Warframe. I hate the grindy RNG... but I keep coming back anyway. It's like a bad drug addiction!

star s reactions GIF

Nothing has changed really. Either you loved Warframe then, then you'll still love it now, or you didn't like it much then and won't like it now. 

Everything added to Warframe is for players that pretty much like Warframe for what it is  It's not going to convert anyone. There has been no overhaul. 

5 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

It depends what do you want from game. Warframe is currently objectively the best game in the world, that covers very huge playerbase (from poor people with potato pc to millionaires, all can play game equally), it has pretty good and interesting lore, nice balance (haha, yes, but if you want, you can play whole game with vanilla excalibur and hek), not even counting huge numbers of gameplay fillers like necromech, operator, railjack etc, grind is not important , I was playing probably around 800 hours with single frame and few guns only.

Sure game has a lot of problems, but does it make the game worse? No.

But if you don’t enjoy gameplay, why bother with it?

hmmm....the best game in the world.....i dont think so. Its good but not the best.

To the OP:  You didn't say why you stopped the first time.  If you stopped (for example) because the game doesn't explain man (or any) of the mechanics, or because "you can't stand playing as a faceless bio-mechanical horror," or because you got to the reveal of Operators and just HATE THE WHOLE IDEA.... then you probably aren't going to see much to change your mind.

If you stopped due to "lack of things to do," then it depends on when you stopped, what you want to do, and what your tolerance for "non Warframe activities in a game called 'Warframe'" is.  There is Railjack, and Necramechs, and the Infested Open World area on Deimos.  These are all either part of the reason you quit, or something you've never seen yet.

As for the "Sisters of Parvos," they are like Liches, but with a Corpus twist,  Some people really like them.  A tiny handful of people want them to be even harder (and/or want to nerf the only Warframes that can currently fight them efficiently.)  They require using the Railjack system to fight (and now so do the original Liches.)  They have an adaptive damage resist mechanic that means that the better your weapons are, the less damage you'll do to them.  Many of them have powers that proc Radiation, and almost all of them teleport every few seconds as you're fighting them.  Some people think they're great fun.  Some people have already given up on fighting them until DE hopefully addresses some of the "did you really think this through?" mechanics that they gave them.

Honestly, this thread kind of feels like bait.  The OP hasn't been following the game, doesn't seem terribly interested in it, and can't be bothered to even click "Play" despite having it installed.  It sounds like they have already *decided* whether the game is worth it to them or not, and this is just a thinly veiled "Warframe is boring, change my mind" thread.

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Just curious- what would you say is objectively better?

Just as one example? FFXIV has game modes to serve every niche of players from those who want to make virtual houses, play casual dungeons all the way up through hardcore raid tiers and even ultimate raids that take pro level players weeks or months to beat. It both serves the power fantasy by allowing you to crush literal gods while providing ever more complex and engaging fights with new mechanics all the time. It has an award winning story, not even going to get into the depth of gameplay it has with all of the side options. The classes are well thought out, updated and balanced -across the board- every expansion, instead of begging for a rework on forums for years. Basically though, this game has robust and rounded options for basically ANY gamer that enjoys the MMO format. Well worth the subscription price. It's a completely different game from Warframe naturally, but wherever there are parallel comparisons to be made it pulls way ahead.

Warframe has a scaling system that could absolutely fill the needs of a wide variety of gamers but it rarely ever gets used properly because they range it up to level 150 (exception: sedna arenas) with most content being under level 50, stuff like daily steel path, hour limited arbitrations or kuva alerts.. This is during a time and state of balance where for most builds level 100 isn't even engaging. That means the entire game is designed to serve only a casual community and you need to slog through and endless mission for hours just to get a decent fight. Your enemies never, ever get stronger, learn new skills or even attempt to adapt to what you do. It's a power fantasy, but about beating up the same mooks over and over for eternity which is a bit like schoolyard bully simulator 2021. Warframes, weapons, game modes, bugs, level and boss design sit stagnant for years without ever being addressed.

I mean, I'm still playing it and sometimes have fun but at this point the only thing I really think it excels at and beats most other games at is having fun movement and flow. Parkour and aerial gameplay is really where I get fun from in this game.

17 minutes ago, Grey_Days said:

Just as one example? FFXIV has game modes to serve every niche of players from those who want to make virtual houses, play casual dungeons all the way up through hardcore raid tiers and even ultimate raids that take pro level players weeks or months to beat. It both serves the power fantasy by allowing you to crush literal gods while providing ever more complex and engaging fights with new mechanics all the time. It has an award winning story, not even going to get into the depth of gameplay it has with all of the side options. The classes are well thought out, updated and balanced -across the board- every expansion, instead of begging for a rework on forums for years. Basically though, this game has robust and rounded options for basically ANY gamer that enjoys the MMO format. Well worth the subscription price. It's a completely different game from Warframe naturally, but wherever there are parallel comparisons to be made it pulls way ahead.

Warframe has a scaling system that could absolutely fill the needs of a wide variety of gamers but it rarely ever gets used properly because they range it up to level 150 (exception: sedna arenas) with most content being under level 50, stuff like daily steel path, hour limited arbitrations or kuva alerts.. This is during a time and state of balance where for most builds level 100 isn't even engaging. That means the entire game is designed to serve only a casual community and you need to slog through and endless mission for hours just to get a decent fight. Your enemies never, ever get stronger, learn new skills or even attempt to adapt to what you do. It's a power fantasy, but about beating up the same mooks over and over for eternity which is a bit like schoolyard bully simulator 2021. Warframes, weapons, game modes, bugs, level and boss design sit stagnant for years without ever being addressed.

I mean, I'm still playing it and sometimes have fun but at this point the only thing I really think it excels at and beats most other games at is having fun movement and flow. Parkour and aerial gameplay is really where I get fun from in this game.

Odd. When I played FF14, I couldn't enjoy the raids and dungeons because people were speed running past everything, just like any other game with public matches. 

Odd, players in warframe can't even handle a 2 day grind....why is a month long grind better again? 

Odd, when I play FF14 I feel incredibly bogged down by their slow movement system and 2d side to side "move from this highlighted area to the next highlighted area". How is that fun again?

Edit: oh, forgot the best part: I love googling "FF14 gil" and seeing multiple sketchy 3rd party websites increasing my potential to get banned.

How are people making enough gil to afford those AH prices? Just curious.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Odd. When I played FF14, I couldn't enjoy the raids and dungeons because people were speed running past everything, just like any other game with public matches. 

Odd, players in warframe can't even handle a 2 day grind....why is a month long grind better again? 

Odd, when I play FF14 I feel incredibly bogged down by their slow movement system and 2d side to side "move from this highlighted area to the next highlighted area". How is that fun again?

It sounds like you didn't do anything except for the casual dungeons, which are designed to serve that niche of speed running to the end.

Obviously the movement system isn't something that's designed to be fun in itself, it's for technical control during mechanics. This comes more into play if you step outside of the casual dungeons and go into ones where the mechanics are highly punishing but you need to effectively control your movement for maximum effectiveness too. If you don't enjoy that particular MMO format and it's not for you, that's okay.

Players in XIV enjoy a month long fight because that means a spectacularly difficult challenge to overcome, perfecting your tactics and working with your team and the feeling of exhilaration that comes from finally watching the boss fall and collecting your prizes. In Warframe, it means nothing of the sort.

10 minutes ago, Grey_Days said:

It sounds like you didn't do anything except for the casual dungeons, which are designed to serve that niche of speed running to the end.

Obviously the movement system isn't something that's designed to be fun in itself, it's for technical control during mechanics. This comes more into play if you step outside of the casual dungeons and go into ones where the mechanics are highly punishing but you need to effectively control your movement for maximum effectiveness too. If you don't enjoy that particular MMO format and it's not for you, that's okay.

Players in XIV enjoy a month long fight because that means a spectacularly difficult challenge to overcome, perfecting your tactics and working with your team and the feeling of exhilaration that comes from finally watching the boss fall and collecting your prizes. In Warframe, it means nothing of the sort.

I was a black belt Monk in FF11.....Some people don't like spending a couple hours in a game for a couple shoulder and chest pieces and conducting illegal RMT to progress. It's not good or bad, they're just different games that aren't supposed to be the same just because someone got bored with a game and wants to turn every game into their favorite game.

No it is not worth getting back into.

There's hardly any story or lore. (There are great story bits like Second Dream that show potential but the rest of the game is practically empty) They're trying Seasons which is the last thing the game should be doing when there are large sections of the game that need to be filled.

The gameplay lacks polish and quality standards. Poor Ai, animations, effects, that leaves it feeling unfinished. Large sections of the game are very outdated.

It is NOT a cohesive gameplay experience, as they have a bunch of systems that were not well integrated. They seem to be unable to decide on what Warframe is. The game is bloated with systems and has eroded its core gameplay with power creep and increasingly more convoluted systems for the player to grind.

DE is stuck trying to maintain peoples attention VS just making the game they want to make. As well as being pulled in a thousand different directions which leads to not a singular thing ever being finished.

They are recently only now getting "New War" out the door because they had an excuse to focus on that. As long as the Devs lack focus on a direction for the game - it will go stagnate and go no where.

2 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Just curious- what would you say is objectively better?

IMO - Destiny 2. Every issue Warframe has D2 doesn't. Used to be in a bad spot back in 2017 (though it had a base game experience at least) but it's turned itself around and is now in the lead.

It has High Quality Standards when it comes to gameplay & assets, Solid base game that is cohesive and not convoluted in its progression & grind

Continuing & Evolving Story (with Actual Campaigns)

Has an reliable content output schedule, Doesn't waste resources experimenting, and they work hard to not ship systems & assets that aren't finished.

- are they perfect? No, but they are quick to fix those issues and are able to because the game has a solid foundation to work on and it isn't bloated.

A big reason to do this is because they had solid core gameplay and a finished game they could work from. The game is NOT perfect but it is in a much better place than Warframe right now.

8 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

Warframe is currently objectively the best game in the world

Just now, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

I was a black belt Monk in FF11.....Some people don't like spending a couple hours in a game for a couple shoulder and chest pieces and conducting illegal RMT to progress. It's not good or bad, they're just different games that aren't supposed to be the same just because someone got bored with a game and wants to turn every game into their favorite game.

I don't want to turn Warframe into XIV at all. In particular though, I think Warframe would have a way broader appeal and bigger playerbase if they were just willing to actually harness the leveling system and selection of game mode modifiers they have right now to actually serve as an optional challenge instead of just something to push you to keep grinding for more gear in the "star chart" range. XIV simply demonstrates that this can be done, without wrecking the casual power fantasy side of things at all. I want to keep playing Warframe, but it needs to offer something up my alley to keep holding interest..

3 часа назад, Loza03 сказал:

Doing something for free doesn't indicate quality. I love Warframe a lot, but there is no such thing as the 'objectively best game'. Case and point, Genshin Impact is offering a Breath of the Wild style vast open world that most games would charge sixty dollars or more for. It's also a Gacha hellscape designed to suck your wallet dry.

I lived in very harsh time , during civil war and economic dead of my coubtry, when I was earning around 40$ per month. While situation is drastically changed in positive way , I still can’t change my mind from “price - content” being only important objective game ratio. And it’s actually true, people that earn game’s price for hour of work never think is it this game worth their money or not. But that’s actually very important and big reason why 90% of newer games are literal garbage, but throwing 40$ for playing 5 hours of some crappy game is more than acceptable. But it’s not. I hate that game industry turned into simple cash-grabbing dumpster. Games should be art pieces. And Warframe is real art piece. Knowing the story of this game, how much DE wanted to make this game, and how they actually made this game accessible to  almost everyone is really saying a lot.  Warframe has a soul , maybe in some glitchy bugged body,  but it has. Genshin Impact... Well I honestly don’t feel soul in that game, it was only intended to cash grab asian market (mainly) and rest of the world, it’s purely profit product. While I completely understand that everyone wants to eat, I have no respect to people who think only about profits and multiplying their billions. I’m an artist myself and I really have big appreciation to real artist, who make great art with passion at first place. Unfortunately there not many game developers like this, and that’s why they deserve support over everything else. And Warframe is the biggest game art today, you really can’t deny that.

Yeah sorry for wall of ***text, sometimes I can be driven very far.

1 hour ago, Grey_Days said:

100% agree with everything you said. I hate tab target combat and that's why I dont play FF14 anymore, but all my best friends do and there's no denying that game is REALLY well made and maintained. Also if you love WF's movement system you might wanna check out PSO2: New Genesis. Amazing combat and movement system as well. It's f2p and recently released. It just doesnt have a ton of content yet and the main story is pretty cringe,  but gameplay and world are amazing.

I still love Warframe though, despite all its huge flaws and bloated broken systems and Power creep.

Archived