Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe worth getting back into?

snekity

1 minute ago, Grey_Days said:

I don't want to turn Warframe into XIV at all. In particular though, I think Warframe would have a way broader appeal and bigger playerbase if they were just willing to actually harness the leveling system and selection of game mode modifiers they have right now to actually serve as an optional challenge instead of just something to push you to keep grinding for more gear in the "star chart" range. XIV simply demonstrates that this can be done, without wrecking the casual power fantasy side of things at all. I want to keep playing Warframe, but it needs to offer something up my alley to keep holding interest..

Final fantasy isn't a power fantasy and it never was. People had to make incredibly specific builds with a lot of investment to solo things in FF like RDM/NIN. Now, their power has obviously increased dramatically the past 2 years, so if people were soloing FF dungeons with ease as casuals the past 2 years I apologize, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. 

Waframe isn't going to magically drastically change the game so much that FF players migrate to it. That's how different they are.

After a certain point, a game isn't there to change itself for you 24/7.....you're supposed to like it on your own merit. This is why different games exist.....I don't want to play Clue Online....so I don't. I don't go to the Clue Online website and tell them to add raids and Call of Duty guns so I can feel comfortable playing their game. 

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Final fantasy isn't a power fantasy and it never was. People had to make incredibly specific builds with a lot of investment to solo things in FF like RDM/NIN. Now, their power has obviously increased dramatically the past 2 years, so if people were soloing FF dungeons with ease as casuals the past 2 years I apologize, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. 

Waframe isn't going to magically drastically change the game so much that FF players migrate to it. That's how different they are.

After a certain point, a game isn't there to change itself for you 24/7.....you're supposed to like it on your own merit. This is why different games exist.....I don't want to play Clue Online....so I don't. I don't go to the Clue Online website and tell them to add raids and Call of Duty guns so I can feel comfortable playing their game. 

Um.. Power fantasy doesn't just mean milling hundreds of clones like they weren't there.. You literally are the "chosen one" who ends up defeating gods, rebuilding kingdoms and single handedly turning the tide against a vast empire and travel around as a legend who meets with rulers across the globe. XIV is a pretty big power fantasy.

You're right that a game isn't there to change itself for me, but a smart game developer will try to make their game enticing.. I think Warframe loses a ton of appeal by not offering anything beyond casual, and it wouldn't be that hard to change that.

13 minutes ago, Grey_Days said:

a smart game developer will try to make their game enticing..

I think DE make a tremendous effort to make their game enticing.   Its not gonna entice everyone though.   

And there is no "best game" as someone asked earlier.   There's only your own personal "best" or favourite.   And sometimes that will change.   I love wf, think its great while at the same time being quite critical of it in areas, but I do get sick of it every few months and go play other things for a break.

To answer OP, don't ask. Instead, deep dive into the game without going to youtube or the forums for "the best x". Don't rush for weapons or worry about rng. 99% of the weapons are great and get the job done. 98% of the weapons are great in Steel Path...which you'll learn about soon enough. 100% of the warframes, sentinels and pets are extremely useful, especially if you play to their strengths and acknowledge their weaknesses. Ignore any BS about what sucks, what's nerfed and who needs a rework. Dive in and figure that out on your own and with your builds first. New features allow for more dynamic warframes and new modes allow better challenges as your skill increases.

Lastly, every year has brought about some pretty amazing and time consuming additions...which is exactly what a game should do. Please enjoy it without outside influences. The point is to play a game, not be immediately informed about every single thing...aka handheld. Good look and happy playing bro!

4 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

I lived in very harsh time , during civil war and economic dead of my coubtry, when I was earning around 40$ per month. While situation is drastically changed in positive way , I still can’t change my mind from “price - content” being only important objective game ratio. And it’s actually true, people that earn game’s price for hour of work never think is it this game worth their money or not. But that’s actually very important and big reason why 90% of newer games are literal garbage, but throwing 40$ for playing 5 hours of some crappy game is more than acceptable. But it’s not. I hate that game industry turned into simple cash-grabbing dumpster. Games should be art pieces. And Warframe is real art piece. Knowing the story of this game, how much DE wanted to make this game, and how they actually made this game accessible to  almost everyone is really saying a lot.  Warframe has a soul , maybe in some glitchy bugged body,  but it has. Genshin Impact... Well I honestly don’t feel soul in that game, it was only intended to cash grab asian market (mainly) and rest of the world, it’s purely profit product. While I completely understand that everyone wants to eat, I have no respect to people who think only about profits and multiplying their billions. I’m an artist myself and I really have big appreciation to real artist, who make great art with passion at first place. Unfortunately there not many game developers like this, and that’s why they deserve support over everything else. And Warframe is the biggest game art today, you really can’t deny that.

Yeah sorry for wall of ***text, sometimes I can be driven very far.

First of all, I am sorry that you went through that.

Secondly, I do agree that Warframe is better than a lot of games in terms of passion from the developers. I'm not discrediting that Warframe is an amazing piece of art and media. However, that does not translate to objective quality of the project. Warframe, as a game, is flawed both technically and in terms of its design. For as much as I love the game, I recognise these things.

If you still believe that it is the best on the market in spite of these aspects? I won't stop you, and quite frankly, I would probably at least in part agree with you. I mean, I am still playing it more than any other game. But that would be subjective opinion, not objective fact. Just in the way you describe it - Warframe has a 'soul'. I would agree, but this is not a quantifiable thing, and thus not objective fact.

As others have said, it really depends on why you stopped playing.  If you disliked the core gameplay, then that really hasn't changed.  There are new modes, quests, warframes, and such, but it is still the same game, at its core.  You said you already downloaded it.  Just start playing and figure it out for yourself.  There are people that have been playing the game since it came out, over 8 years ago, and have played thousands of hours.  Is it worth it?  That's up to you to figure out.  

Play it with friends.  I had buddies get me to return after a year break and having friends to play Warframe with takes the edges off the hilariously rough edges the game has.  Yeah, it’s a runaway train of power creep full of immense weapon imbalances that makes me question the abilities of the developers, with anything single target basically a trap now.  
The game still favors mindless weapon and frame aoe spam over thinking, but with buddies you can laugh and grind in discord and have some fun.  
Would I recommend Warframe as the only game you play?  Hell no.  It’s not deep enough, the game drastically needs a complete combat overhaul to limit the mindless aoe spam and the “nuke or be nuked” game design. However Warframe has zero FOMO, so as far as games go, It is the perfect side chick.  

12 hours ago, Iccotak said:

Continuing & Evolving Story (with Actual Campaigns)

Most of which are paid content. Also, I'd point out that Warframe has both an evolving narrative and campaigns. They just aren't bloated with padding and fetch objectives (with one or two exceptions).

Doesn't waste resources experimenting,

And consequently has become stagnant gameplay-wise (with most of the "new" activities consisting of reskinned Horde modes, with an occasional gimmick thrown in). I'll gladly take jank if it results in a more interesting experience.

The game is NOT perfect but it is in a much better place than Warframe right now.

... Highly debatable.

6 hours ago, OmegaDonut said:

…and the “nuke or be nuked” game design. 

Read the rest of your post, but this bit jumped out at me (mainly because it’s a phrase I’ve seen elsewhere and have wondered about).

🤔 Is the entire game “Nuke or be nuked”? I know Steel Path can be pretty rough

On 2021-07-25 at 11:40 AM, Hypernaut1 said:

Just curious- what would you say is objectively better?

I don't think anyone can say one game is objectively better or worse than the other as a whole unless it literally does everything that another game does and in a similar manner. I think you have to look at different aspects of a game to start talking about what's objectively better or worse. Like, graphics quality, art quality (i.e. texture resolution and mesh polycounts, not art style), sound quality, animation authenticity and features (i.e. inverse kinematics), and the prevalence of bugs and glitches are all areas of a game that can more or less be rated objectively. I think anything else is subjective. For me, there are games that do something better than Warframe in all of those areas; some do multiple things better in those areas. I'd say most AAA games have better graphics, art quality, animations, and sound design than Warframe (like COD games, BF games, Ubisoft's open world games, Sony's exclusive games, etc.). However, all of them are different types of games than Warframe is. The most I can say about Warframe objectively is that it is not as good as it could be, and I could say that about any game. Therefore, I want DE to strive to make Warframe better so that it can be as good as it can be.

On 2021-07-25 at 5:20 AM, snekity said:

So I recently reinstalled Warframe after thinking I'll give it another chance. I have a total of 300 hours in-game and I'm MR 10. I did not watch any dev streams in my absence and neither have I visited the forums, so I don't really know what has happened in that time. My question is: Is Warframe worth getting back into? I've heard something about new corpus liches. Are they any good?

As most others have said, you have to figure out why you left the game, because the game hasn't changed that much, even with new systems. If you left once, you'll leave again. You gotta decide whether you want to keep coming back to check it out again. That's what I do. I don't enjoy most of Warframe, but some of it I do enjoy. So, I come back for a little bit and then I leave again for months at a time. There are other games I spend more time playing, and that's ok. The best thing for you to do is instead of asking the forum whether or not it's worth it to get back in, go research what the past updates have been and look on the official website, and then make the decision for whether or not you want to come back.

21 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

What's your problem? Grey_Days didn't say they wanted Warframe to change so that FF players migrate to the game. All they said was they wanted modifiers so that they could have some control over how difficult their game was. They want more gameplay options, and are saying that more gameplay options will broaden the playerbase. That's not changing the core game. It's just allowing more options so that more people like the game. And it's a better approach to broadening the player base than expanding to platforms with low player counts like Switch and mobile, and it's certainly better than adding game modes like Lunaro to attract Rocket League fans, and Archwing to attract Zone of the Enders fans, and Frame Fighter to try to attract Mortal Kombat and Soul Caliber fans, and Railjack to attract EVE fans (or whoever is the target for that), and Plains of Eidolon not to expand the core gameplay but to try to attract Breath of the Wild fans. It's better than making a western-themed Plains of Duviri trailer for Tennocon before any work has started on that quest, just to try to attract Red Dead Redemption fans. Adding modifiers to the game so that players have more gameplay options is not an attempt to try to bring in fans of one game.

I get that you have a problem with someone suggesting that another game does something better than Warframe. You all complained about players suggesting an open world for Warframe back in 2016, yet praised DE when they made Plains of Eidolon. So, please, lay off the exaggerations.

20 hours ago, OniDax said:

I don't think anyone can say one game is objectively better or worse than the other as a whole unless it literally does everything that another game does and in a similar manner. I

Well obviously. 

I still find it funny that someone had the audacity to say Destiny 2. I had a good laugh at that one. No thank you! 

Of course it's subjective. The point really is that all games are "flawed" in some way, and Warframe is really no worse than the best of the best. D2, Final Fantasy... These are indeed good games, but I wouldn't play them over Warframe. 

On 2021-07-25 at 2:20 AM, snekity said:

My question is: Is Warframe worth getting back into? 

Answer is classified, play the game to find out.

On 2021-07-25 at 2:20 AM, snekity said:

I've heard something about new corpus liches. Are they any good?

What are these Liches that people talk about? All I ever come across is the Grineer Leeches and the Sisterhood of Leeches.

both are really enjoyable to kill.

39 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Well obviously. 

I still find it funny that someone had the audacity to say Destiny 2. I had a good laugh at that one. No thank you! 

Of course it's subjective. The point really is that all games are "flawed" in some way, and Warframe is really no worse than the best of the best. D2, Final Fantasy... These are indeed good games, but I wouldn't play them over Warframe. 

I respect that. I personally wouldn't play Destiny 2 over Warframe; I just didn't like the gameplay loop. That said, I wouldn't play Warframe over some other games. I just want the games that I do play, including Warframe, to be the best that they can be. I don't want to just accept games as they are. I want devs to strive to improve their games where there are shortcomings. I just feel like there are a lot of areas in Warframe that are not the best that they can be, more than other games I'm playing, and not enough Warframe players hold DE to the same standards to which they hold other developers.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Can't tell if it's a joke but the correct term is Lich, Liches ya know an undead being that acquired immortality

It is a joke, a play on words… also they leech your resources till you kill them.

3 hours ago, Firedtm said:

It is a joke, a play on words… also they leech your resources till you kill them.

And to really drag the joke out in the alley and beat it to death:  The Kuva Guardians actually *do* pronounce it as "leech."  "The candidate has been selected.  They 'vil become leech, or they 'vil die."

^-^

Archived