Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there any reason why not many people play Protea?

AzureScion

28 minutes ago, Hello said:

I sometimes use her for Disruption after putting Gloom on. 

However, the #1 reason why I don't play Protea will sound kind of stupid. I absolutely dislike the weird side flip roll she does. That's simply the only reason why I use her maybe once a month for 10 minutes. 

The roll-lunge forward like a mini cartwheel she does? I know some people don't seem to like it but I personally think it's adorable.

23 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Not gonna lie, I would have grinded out a second copy of her if her Grenades would have been the Helminth ability instead, but Dispenser isn't worth it to me to do so.

Yeah, if the subsume ability was her turrets I'd slap it into all my other frames like I mentioned in earlier post. I just love it's mechanic so much. It's what I had wanted from Vauban from a long time. Dispenser, while very good on her, I don't see any other value on having on other frames. I'd honestly rather take a Wisp reservoir.

1 hour ago, HerpDerpy said:

shes a good frame but her play style is just kind of annoying. All you do is spam your blaze artillery over and over and over again since they only stick around for 9 seconds at MOST, if you're in steel path then you need to spam your shield satellites too. The rewind part of her temporal anchor is cool and all but ultimately makes the ability feel clunky imo. 

If they just combined all 3 of her turrets into a single one that lasted 3 times longer I would play her way, WAY more. Same goes for if they made it so her Shield satellites didn't get destroyed when your shield gate pops.

Honestly though if they'd make her turret last longer it would turn her into another stationary frame like someone else had complained here. Another Frost, Gara, or Limbo. Her having a 6 seconds turret encourages the player to always stay on the mobile and redeploy her turrets in strategic positions with clumped enemies or to hold off choke points. 

Temporal anchor acts as a GREAT survivability tool as it adds another layer of cheat death skill (Just like Nidus' or Wukong's passive) but you have to pay more attention to it as you have to withdraw once your shield is completely taken away (shieldgate invincibility) to regain all the shields (and energy/ammo) lost. Also all the damage you've dealt while you're on her temporal anchor state will be dealt in one single boom at her retreating point to nearby enemies, so if you've ramped up thousands of damage from the turret and your guns, that'll even amp up her damage more.

4 hours ago, Alpheus said:

it's just a Wukong-hate thread by a different title.

Sorry. I like to play Warframe. Not afk and let the clone kill bot everything. And I do use Wukong if I feel lazy, I'm not a saint. But to say ppl don't use Protea because Wukong exists is a hindrance to this thread. If you don't like it, you don't need to post on this thread. If you do insist on sharing your perspective, make sure you follow the guidelines (https://forums.warframe.com/guidelines/) or else you may get into trouble.

*on topic to the actual OP*

I like Protea, but I don't use her often. I like her tumble animation, but I keep forgetting that she can't actually "hop" over any obstacles and I end up getting stuck on junk/debris that I normally would have bullet jumped over.

I deleted Temporal Anchor in favour of Spectrorage and Ensnare on different builds. I'm big on crowd control. I definitely feel like I get more kills using the Slash Grenades than the auto-turret. I use it more for choke points and covering fire when I revive allies. Because I'm not thrilled with keeping track of the ability timers, I make sure to bring weapons that I enjoy. Sometimes I feel like minutes go by without making use of all my abilities.

I have a feeling that the warframe custom made for Parvos Granum will have a competitive edge against the coming Orokin Threat Sentient Invasion.

54 minutes ago, Hello said:

I sometimes use her for Disruption after putting Gloom on. 

However, the #1 reason why I don't play Protea will sound kind of stupid. I absolutely dislike the weird side flip roll she does. That's simply the only reason why I use her maybe once a month for 10 minutes. 

Amalgam barrel diffusion makes it a lot more tolerable, but now that we have galvanised diffusion, that’s a pretty big ask just for QoL

4 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

Sorry. I like to play Warframe. Not afk and let the clone kill bot everything. And I do use Wukong if I feel lazy, I'm not a saint. But to say ppl don't use Protea because Wukong exists is a hindrance to this thread. If you don't like it, you don't need to post on this thread. If you do insist on sharing your perspective, make sure you follow the guidelines (https://forums.warframe.com/guidelines/) or else you may get into trouble.

*on topic to the actual OP*

I like Protea, but I don't use her often. I like her tumble animation, but I keep forgetting that she can't actually "hop" over any obstacles and I end up getting stuck on junk/debris that I normally would have bullet jumped over.

I deleted Temporal Anchor in favour of Spectrorage and Ensnare on different builds. I'm big on crowd control. I definitely feel like I get more kills using the Slash Grenades than the auto-turret. I use it more for choke points and covering fire when I revive allies. Because I'm not thrilled with keeping track of the ability timers, I make sure to bring weapons that I enjoy. Sometimes I feel like minutes go by without making use of all my abilities.

I have a feeling that the warframe custom made for Parvos Granum will have a competitive edge against the coming Orokin Threat Sentient Invasion.

On my protea I replaced her 4 with Larva, and I use Larva like a focussing lens for blaze artillery.

It’s pretty hilarious when your artillery can gain x10-20 damage per shot, and means I don’t have to rely on duration as much.

Grenade spam was alright but I grew tired of it while leveling them.

Then I was almost about to get excited she could spawn turrets until I found out their uptime is 3 seconds, which I first thought was a bug.

By the time I finally decided to level them, I had already played both xaku and wukong, atlas, titania, nekros and everyone else I am forgetting, that are allowed to have long duration or constant duration "pets".

It's the classic case of why x when you have y.

If other spy frames can sprint and fire under stealth, why use ivara.

Is precisely why the game needs a baseline to balance everything against, instead of just adding random, pointless shenanigans to frames like a k-drive.

Here are the rules for guns, status, stealth or whatever. Casting speed. Reload times.

What was the point of protera? Being able to help people reload the archgun ammo for the venus spider fight 2 years ago?

1 hour ago, AzureScion said:

Honestly though if they'd make her turret last longer it would turn her into another stationary frame like someone else had complained here. Another Frost, Gara, or Limbo. Her having a 6 seconds turret encourages the player to always stay on the mobile and redeploy her turrets in strategic positions with clumped enemies or to hold off choke points. 

Temporal anchor acts as a GREAT survivability tool as it adds another layer of cheat death skill (Just like Nidus' or Wukong's passive) but you have to pay more attention to it as you have to withdraw once your shield is completely taken away (shieldgate invincibility) to regain all the shields (and energy/ammo) lost. Also all the damage you've dealt while you're on her temporal anchor state will be dealt in one single boom at her retreating point to nearby enemies, so if you've ramped up thousands of damage from the turret and your guns, that'll even amp up her damage more.

Like I said, shes a good frame but her entire kit is just one big super micro management simulator which I personally find annoying. Every time I play as her im using one of my abilities every 2 seconds, and if my attention lapses for more than those 2 seconds I die (in the steel path anyways).

Id much rather play as a frame that lets me turn half my brain off so I can shoot enemies in the face.   

45 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

I've used him enough to make my own opinions about him. Brought him to steel path survival, arbitration, railjack fissures, etc. And again, I brought him here because he's the most used warframe as to date, which makes a good comparison as to why Protea is not as popular, despite being equally as viable. I've put a lot of Protea discussions and opinions on this thread yet you seem to be more interested in the Wukong rant that I got a bit carried away with in the first place and not supposed to bring. Oh and no, it's not really a "gross generalization" when it's the behavior of at least 70% of Wukong players out there. I know you are aware of this and there's no way you can deny that there are more clone-explosives Wukong players that encourages boring playstyle than there are Primal Fury Wukong players. Something constructive? I have one: Stop bringing Wukong everywhere and try out other frames. Or at least play him differently.

I can and absolutely am denying your claims, considering I'm one of those Fury/Kompressa players being swept under the rug. Your own gameplay experiences don't reflect mine or anyone else's. Just as you can say that all Wukong players AFK and let their clone do everything, I can say all Protea players ruin Rage builds with their shield spam. But I rarely play Protea so I'm not about to knock on anyone who decides to use her. If I happen to team up with a frame that I feel is a hindrance, I'll leave the mission or adjust.

And to understand why I can't see this as anything other than a Wukong-hate thread, reread your own words:

"Is it because she can't spawn a clone that does all your job for you or turn into a cloud that moves faster than Razorwing Blitz Titania?"

"Well, there's enough time to play a couple of them instead of picking Wukong all the time."

"There's no way 98% of the entire Warframe Asia playerbase only enjoy one playstyle: playing with one hand."

"it's always gonna be the damn monke again and again. I mean if they're gonna play Wukong at least make him use his staff."

"Besides, the Sun Wukong I know is an agile, hyperactive combatant with a heart of a trickster, yet what I'm seeing is 'idle on objective while my clone blows everything up with this super OP rocket launcher'."

"What I can though people with Wukong Primes doing Rescue sorties, clouding to the prison, opening the gate immediately without waiting for everyone else to arrive, and by the time we arrive at the prison room the hostage is already executed. Screw them."

"That's why I put it there to compare with that stupid cloud."

"Though let me tell you I'd really take 3 Yarelis over 3 Wukong Primes any day. I like it when my game has diversity, not the same one frame rushing to objective and completing missions in less than a minute. Also putting down controller and keyboard is what most Wukong players do anyway. They don't play the game, their clone does."

This is very targeted language and sweeps a wide brush over anyone who dares to use Wukong's abilities. The fact you don't take issue with 3 of any frame except Wukong is further proof of this.

1 hour ago, AzureScion said:

I haven't seen YOUR take on Protea either, so as to not extend my Wukong rant further, do you play Protea often? Why or why not?

I don't like how her abilities feel, plain and simple. It's the same reason I hardly play Saryn, Ash, Atlas, Inaros, Rhino, Excalibur, and some other frames regardless of their viability. My Mesa Prime probably hasn't seen more than 10 missions since her Prime Access. That isn't to say I would mind a teammate bringing a Protea along to certain nodes, I personally don't want to be the one behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, Alpheus said:

I can and absolutely am denying your claims, considering I'm one of those Fury/Kompressa players being swept under the rug. Your own gameplay experiences don't reflect mine or anyone else's. Just as you can say that all Wukong players AFK and let their clone do everything, I can say all Protea players ruin Rage builds with their shield spam. But I rarely play Protea so I'm not about to knock on anyone who decides to use her. If I happen to team up with a frame that I feel is a hindrance, I'll leave the mission or adjust.

And to understand why I can't see this as anything other than a Wukong-hate thread, reread your own words:

This is very targeted language and sweeps a wide brush over anyone who dares to use Wukong's abilities. The fact you don't take issue with 3 of any frame except Wukong is further proof of this.

I don't like how her abilities feel, plain and simple. It's the same reason I hardly play Saryn, Ash, Atlas, Inaros, Rhino, Excalibur, and some other frames regardless of their viability. My Mesa Prime probably hasn't seen more than 10 missions since her Prime Access. That isn't to say I would mind a teammate bringing a Protea along to certain nodes, I personally don't want to be the one behind the wheel.

1. If you're really denying that most if not all Wukong players are braindead clone players then you haven't played in public rooms enough. You most likely have premade squads with proper roles for each player set before going into missions. I can't tell you how many times my experience has been ruined because some idiot braindead WP players decided to cloud their way to rescue sorties without waiting for everyone else or runing arbitration endurance runs by contributing basically nothing to the team, going solo and distracting the enemies into god knows where while the rest of the team already set up a proper fortified spot to camp. And all you have to do to stop a Protea from spamming your shield is just to let them know in chat, just like I tell people not to heal me when I'm playing Garuda. Most Protea players actually care and play the game. Different case for Wukong players, you can't tell them what to do because they never even bothered to look at the chat, nay they don't even look at the screen at all. Not saying that I hate Wukong, I just find it hilarious that the majority of playerbase just stick to one single frame while rushframing every content available then complain about not having enough content to play.

2. While it is a Protea focused thread, I often made fun of Wukong players because he's one of the most popular frames but all the other popular frames contribute to the team. Wisp? Great buffs, great debuffs, great assets. Mesa? Her 2 is a lifesaver. Rhino? His roar is a freaking blessing. Saryn? Mass murdering ability at a press of a button, also supplements damage with her spores that spread fast. Khora? Damn I love teammate Khoras. Gara? Massive damage reduction and the occassional nuke. Volt? Speed boost, crit shield. Yum. Gauss? CC. What does Wukong do to the team? Virtually nothing. He's the epitome of solo-play warframe and should stay being played there. Having 3 Wukong Primes on the team feels like spawning 6  customizable Clem clones to assist you on a mission. 

3. Now there's the thing I wanted to know the most. Though it is unfortunate you don't like her playstyle, I can appreciate your take. Maybe some day you'll give another look at her abilities and appreciate her a bit more, maybe even this whole thread can give you a different impression and motivation to try her out and bring her about on missions occasionally and feel her power. 

Okay, little update, I actually grinded her with a lot of luck (around 10 runs on nightmare and less than 10 runs to get the rest). But it’s really a lot of luck on my side, I guess my time has come. Will definitely build and try her ASAP. Actually price in building was very solid and fair ... *Looks at Lavos*

5 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

Okay, little update, I actually grinded her with a lot of luck (around 10 runs on nightmare and less than 10 runs to get the rest). But it’s really a lot of luck on my side, I guess my time has come. Will definitely build and try her ASAP. Actually price in building was very solid and fair ... *Looks at Lavos*

Yeap. Farming her isn't hard at all, only requires a bit of luck. My farm took me about 20 runs in normal granum, 5 runs in exemplar, and about 12 runs in zenith. YMMV but generally should be around the same number since all parts have 11% (iirc) drop rate.

On 2021-07-28 at 1:08 PM, SneakyErvin said:

1. No, she doesnt get overwhelmed. Play her before claiming things that just arent true. If you play her in a way that suits her design you will not get overwhelmed, not even solo with Steel Path density and levels.

2. Then he has issues because it has never happened to me and I've played Protea alot since her release. So maybe dont assume that just because one person experiences something it applies to all?

3. Of course they arent, just as I said. But it is also spy, a mission type that is never ever important, and so uncommon to actually run as a regular activity that changing frames to a more optimal one is often 100% pointless. I can count the times I've ran spy over the last year on my ten fingers and I can count the times I've felt the need to change to a spy frame on zero of those fingers.

4. So you've clearly not played her at all. She shines the most versus infested. Disruptors are never an issue for her since you always pick a good spot to farm in, and in that spot you have your dispenser, which means you always have spare energy even in one-off situations where a disruptor for some reason manages to go ninja on you.

And you keep bringing up pointless missions. Why? Mob Def is as simple as it can get since you have so many options with her to completely lock down areas. Then you just place a turret in each direction as needed. I mean it isnt like she has energy problems, shes as spammable as spammy can get.

The revamped corpus ship defense tile is probably the most forgiving for her since no matter who you play you are always visible. You can easily park her on the pod with a dispenser on it, then you just pop 3 turrets and guard the 4th lane with your gun. It isnt hard. Though I wonder why you'd even set foot on that map freely outside of the arbitration version? Again, sit down and actually learn Protea before assuming how she is.

And everything "depends on the map". No one freely plays the bad maps when you come to a point where you want the most efficient farm session. I also dont understand where you get the idea from that "She's ment to move and change position". Her turrets have short duration to avoid afk gameplay. It doesnt imply that you need to move around much, just that you need to be active with the kit.

Regarding defection. You dont need to set up any points to gun down enemies. You set up a few dispensers as you go so there are always energy when you back track, then you just alternate between tap/hold of 1 as you go, keeping shields up and halting enemies. Then when you need turrets you tend to have good lanes to place them in, clearing everything infront of you as you run (unless you cheap out on range mods for some reason).

And interception is silly easy to solo as Protea. Again, dont play the bad maps, which applies to every single frame.

I think you are also taking the "stationary" part a bit too litterally. You arent ment to stand as a statue in a spot, you set up a killing floor/defense area and then move around in it. 

Again, learn to play her since without experience your input on her is flawed and made up of very false assumptions.

You make a lot of assumptions don't you? Doesn't surprise me.

I've played her a lot as well, 3 formas isn't just something I'm willing to throw away on a frame, weapon, or anything if I don't find it worth while. So, I've also played her a lot and everything I've had difficulties with that I've listed with the issues of farming her are just me stating what I've seen.

I would also like for you to learn that not everyone plays your way, enjoys the game your way, and has everything you have. So stop putting "input" since most of your assumptions are also false.

And don't try to switch the blame like last time.

On 2021-07-28 at 5:40 AM, AzureScion said:

Do people nowadays consider frames good by their capabilities of dealing with level 9999 enemies?

That seems to be the general consensus, which is why I've slowly been working on a project in my spare time- The Casual MetaTM.

The focus for balance should be on the Star Chart's level of difficulty, which admittedly, isn't a lot, but it exists for those who don't own the proper mods. Hell, I even get knocked on my butt every-so-often due to an unexpected spike in strength.

She just wasn't interesting enough to me so I've yet to build her. Haven't built Sevagoth or Yareli yet either. I'm kind of exhausted of new frames atm and none of them 'pander' to me. Baruuk was the last release I liked a lot and still play all the time, especially with how good his tennogen is since his original appearance is lacking. I built Xaku and Lavos last and they were big ugly disappointments overall and I haven't bothered with the others yet.

At this point I rather have improvements to broken down ones like Hydroid and Ash, and more deluxe skins, and a big rework on how augments function far more than new frames. Too bad the Baruuk deluxe is so deformed and eh though :(

For me personally, it has to do with how shields work/how her shield grenade works. I never feel like I can survive a stray bombard shot with her even if I have thousands of super fast recharging shields, plus casting her nades over and over again is really annoying, so I just don't bother playing her. Her turret is fun tho.

18 hours ago, AzureScion said:

1. If you're really denying that most if not all Wukong players are braindead clone players then you haven't played in public rooms enough. You most likely have premade squads with proper roles for each player set before going into missions.

I'm not even reading past this point because if everything after it is this inaccurate then I'll be up all night responding. I've never done role-specific mission runs because I play Warframe to do my own thing. If I feel like bringing a Vazarin Grendel to an Arbitration Defense instead of a Trinity Prime, then that's what I'm going to do. Since I prefer using my Lenz over my Bramma most days, nobody's going to pressure me into swapping. I can queue for dungeons on ESO if I want to be assigned tasks.

The last time I remember being in a premade at all was for a radshare or vault hunt in 2018. All non-solo games since then have been purely random PUGs. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten grouped with just one random stranger in SP Survival missions and we stay there for over an hour with almost no words between us aside from "gg" at the end before we part ways. Limited interactions like that are the sessions I crave.

On 2021-07-28 at 3:05 PM, AzureScion said:

Okay.. kinda bad timing since someone just posted a "Why does no one play X frame" recently, but Protea, in my opinion, is a god tier frame.

Not gonna discuss her a lot here, she's been here for quite a while, but her turrets deal a hecking ton of damage, and you can deploy them three times. She has insane survivability with her 4 as your cheat death ability, dispenser as constant health orb generator (also ammo and energy!) and her 1 gives a crapton of shield, alongside great cc and respectable damage. I'm basically cruising through steel path with her right now, with the exception of a few missions like Excavation. 

Why don't I see her often? Is it because she can't spawn a clone that does all your job for you or turn into a cloud that moves faster than Razorwing Blitz Titania? 

Okay just kidding there, but really, people should play Protea more, she's amazing at pretty much everything: CC, damage, support, survivability.

God-tier frame? Prothea?

I take offence to this notion, sir.

Just like Yareli, Prothea is in a tier of her own. But while Yareli's tier is below the lowest of the low tier, Prothea is a tier above god-tier.

The only place where she fumbles is in  Arbitration, but... let's be fair, the main enemy in Arbitration is the one invulnerable to the entire arsenal in warframe. It's called 'primed boredom'.

16 hours ago, (XBOX)ScooterLaroo said:

You make a lot of assumptions don't you? Doesn't surprise me.

I've played her a lot as well, 3 formas isn't just something I'm willing to throw away on a frame, weapon, or anything if I don't find it worth while. So, I've also played her a lot and everything I've had difficulties with that I've listed with the issues of farming her are just me stating what I've seen.

I would also like for you to learn that not everyone plays your way, enjoys the game your way, and has everything you have. So stop putting "input" since most of your assumptions are also false.

And don't try to switch the blame like last time.

According to yourself in this thread you dont play her much at all. 

I've seen arguments for both on this forum and I don't play her often enough to get a gage of which is true or false. I'd honestly try and do both.

Those are your very own words regarding Protea and her playstyle regarding stationary and mobile. And that is something you figure out quite early on given how her kit works, since everything is stationary for her. You may have spent a whooping 3 forma on her, which means you've played her for 30-40 minutes or something.

And of course not everyone "plays your way", but there is a right and wrong way for everything and when Protea is played correctly she is one of the strongest frames in the game. If a frame can push long endless steel path/arbis versus either faction effortlessly it is a strong frame. How they handle one off missions matters very little, since any frame can do those well without any effort behind it.

On 2021-07-28 at 5:06 AM, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Theres 46 frames. Theres literally not enough time in the day to play them all.

Well said. There's nothing particularly wrong with Protea from what I can tell, but there are lots of frames to choose from.

Archived