Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there any reason why not many people play Protea?

AzureScion

7 hours ago, T-Shark69 said:

Whats her problem in Arbies?

I want to say 'arbitrations shield drones' but we all know the answer:

9 hours ago, Wolfwaffe said:

the main enemy in Arbitration is the one invulnerable to the entire arsenal in warframe. It's called 'primed boredom'.

7 hours ago, Butterfly85 said:

Main reason is probably her acquisition. Hard to argue with that after my recent ventures to the void. Read as I've done 20 trips, mostly with Mesa for Sister Spawns and never seen a single Protea part drop. Thankfully I'm not after her parts.

Yeah, this is probably the biggest obstacle to people using her--having her in the first place.

On 2021-07-28 at 3:05 PM, AzureScion said:

Okay.. kinda bad timing since someone just posted a "Why does no one play X frame" recently, but Protea, in my opinion, is a god tier frame.

Not gonna discuss her a lot here, she's been here for quite a while, but her turrets deal a hecking ton of damage, and you can deploy them three times. She has insane survivability with her 4 as your cheat death ability, dispenser as constant health orb generator (also ammo and energy!) and her 1 gives a crapton of shield, alongside great cc and respectable damage. I'm basically cruising through steel path with her right now, with the exception of a few missions like Excavation. 

Why don't I see her often? Is it because she can't spawn a clone that does all your job for you or turn into a cloud that moves faster than Razorwing Blitz Titania? 

Okay just kidding there, but really, people should play Protea more, she's amazing at pretty much everything: CC, damage, support, survivability.

I would, but even Sisters of Parvos barely enticed me to grind Granum Void, let alone grind it with 75 kills on top tier until the part drops. I'll do it, eventually... If some new shiny won't distract me...

She would be cool to use if I didn't have to press 2 every 6 seconds with max duration, let alone 3 times every 6 seconds. Yeah, I know, it's powerful and they didn't want to make her afk. But this is why, it's ridiculous and unfun spamming it. How about only 1 turret but it lasts 18 secs. That would be way better.

13 hours ago, Wolfchild07 said:

She would be cool to use if I didn't have to press 2 every 6 seconds with max duration, let alone 3 times every 6 seconds. Yeah, I know, it's powerful and they didn't want to make her afk. But this is why, it's ridiculous and unfun spamming it. How about only 1 turret but it lasts 18 secs. That would be way better.

Better yet, give the option for 2 turrets at half duration or 1 turret with extended duration/ammo.  Heck, even have 2 different cosmetics…it could be an augment I guess…maybe I’ll make a feedback post because I feel the same way.

The magic-floating-disappearing spam-cannon is a bit anti-immersive.

It isn’t Octavia’s visual Technicolor 1-2-3-4 madness, but it definitely is gimmicky.

Also, her 4th is unique (in Warframe, anyway) but I haven’t seen how it is a major benefit…I know it is, but it doesn’t feel intuitive.

Aesthetically I really like her Master Chief, Boba Fett feel.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Silverback73 said:

Also, her 4th is unique (in Warframe, anyway) but I haven’t seen how it is a major benefit…I know it is, but it doesn’t feel intuitive.

I have yet to need it for anything. It's too expensive to keep up at all times and the things that would produce a need for it just one shot you anyway, often without warning.

36 minutes ago, FrostDragoon said:

I have yet to need it for anything. It's too expensive to keep up at all times and the things that would produce a need for it just one shot you anyway, often without warning.

And it's really, really, really glitchy.  There's like a 1 in 4 chance it just fails for no reason.  It also doesn't know how to interact with player-made walls, like Gara's 4 or Frost's 3.  I want to like the ability, and I refuse to Helminth it off, but it's just not polished at all.

Quick tip on using Protea's 4: Utilize shield-gate. 

Assuming you're facing steel-path level enemies (regular ones, not level 9999)

Step 1: Overcharge your shield with grenade fan

Step 2: Press 4, go wreak havoc and deal as much damage as you can, preferrably using turrets.

Step 3: If you get hit a lot and your shield depletes, shield gate will trigger.  Immediately return (press 4 again) and you'll see that all your ammo, health, energy, and shield will be restored to full or its original numbers before you put her 4 down. Also you deal damage on the area where you retreated based on how much you dealt in her temporal state, making her damage output potential even more insane.

It's very, very useful. Even if you fail to retreat on time and die you'll still go back to your anchor alive. She can basically never die as long as she always has her 4 on. I tried on steel path, arbitration, sorties, etc, and she's so far my go-to frame to tackle high level content because I can't find the same amount of survivability from any other frames that can also deal damage.

8 hours ago, AzureScion said:

Step 2: Press 4, go wreak havoc and deal as much damage as you can, preferrably using turrets.

Step 3: If you get hit a lot and your shield depletes, shield gate will trigger.  Immediately return (press 4 again) and you'll see that all your ammo, health, energy, and shield will be restored to full or its original numbers before you put her 4 down. Also you deal damage on the area where you retreated based on how much you dealt in her temporal state, making her damage output potential even more insane.

It's very, very useful. Even if you fail to retreat on time and die you'll still go back to your anchor alive. She can basically never die as long as she always has her 4 on. I tried on steel path, arbitration, sorties, etc, and she's so far my go-to frame to tackle high level content because I can't find the same amount of survivability from any other frames that can also deal damage.

Most of what you listed is something a protea player already does, minus using her 4th. Idk anyone who uses it or has good things to say about it. This is all just my opinion.

4 hours ago, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

Most of what you listed is something a protea player already does, minus using her 4th. Idk anyone who uses it or has good things to say about it. This is all just my opinion.

Using it to front load your "batteries" so you can unload them, then rewind to "reload" them is fair. Like I said, though, the energy cost of continually using this ability is why I don't like to. It's the first one I think to trade out with Helminth.

On 2021-08-01 at 5:35 AM, AzureScion said:

TY.  I’ll have to practice.

On 2021-07-28 at 8:06 AM, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Theres 46 frames. Theres literally not enough time in the day to play them all.

Kinda this. 

I've got plenty of warframes for every condition that exists in the game. I don't especially want any more. I'm at the point that if it's not a prime warframe, I'm not interested. 

So. 

We have a butt-ugly warframe with a powerset I don't care about and it's another farm I really don't want to do. I think that about covers it. 

I can think of five reasons why people don't use Protea.

1. Vauban just has better balls pre-modding.
  2. Wukong, Khora, and Umbra exist.
  3. Trinity, Wisp, and Operator exist.
  4. Nobody can wrap their heads around manually exiting the time travel mode to get full restoration.
  5. The grind just isn't worth it.

I would love to see her around more, but there's just no reason to atm.

On 2021-07-28 at 1:14 PM, AzureScion said:

Of course I won't deny that, Sometimes it's better to bring a dedicated frames like Wisp for support, Saryn for DPS, or maybe Nidus/Rhino for survivability but Protea is just so versatile and easy I wonder why she's not as common as I expected her to be. 

maybe because people might not like ability that you constantly pressing button for one single ability. her turret ability two may deal damage as you all say but how many times do you have to press 2 and you will probably kill enemy npc faster with a weapon so atteration to the turret is some what i personaly find it useless in majority of the situation ability 1 is not much good and 4th well its like tracer from overwatch its good fun but you wont use it much to be realistic. this is not plaver vs player.

all said which puts us back to ability 2 with 3 sec with 100% duration and 9 secs with 306%. inorder to reach 306% its 4 mods for duration that is insane amount of mods simply to reach 9 secs just so you cam keep gitting 2. 1 sec duration with single Fleeting Expertise is not enough. This ability should be fixed before the deluxe or many people might think is it worth it ? and most importantly is it fun cause if were not having fun then whats the use.

3 hours ago, IIGodFatherII said:

maybe because people might not like ability that you constantly pressing button for one single ability. her turret ability two may deal damage as you all say but how many times do you have to press 2 and you will probably kill enemy npc faster with a weapon so atteration to the turret is some what i personaly find it useless in majority of the situation ability 1 is not much good and 4th well its like tracer from overwatch its good fun but you wont use it much to be realistic. this is not plaver vs player.

all said which puts us back to ability 2 with 3 sec with 100% duration and 9 secs with 306%. inorder to reach 306% its 4 mods for duration that is insane amount of mods simply to reach 9 secs just so you cam keep gitting 2. 1 sec duration with single Fleeting Expertise is not enough. This ability should be fixed before the deluxe or many people might think is it worth it ? and most importantly is it fun cause if were not having fun then whats the use.

Honestly, I really like her 2, but you're absolutely right about the duration. It's way too short. I suspect that it's a large reason that even people who have her (like me) seldom play her.

She is very bad at far running forward missions, like capture. Cause her skills are fkn manahungry and her 4 is useless, cause it rewinds you back. So....whe is useable only in missions like defence/interception/survival...  

And also she requires to smash buttons too much nonstop.

Archived