Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should I use a 60/60 or 90% elemental mod?

Reeda_jr

Question

If I were to use a standard cCO build with bloodrush and weeping wounds, should I use dual stat 60/60 elemental mods or 90% elemental mods?

Also, is there a general rule of thumb of when I should use the mods? I can recall that I’ve read somewhere that any weapon below 15% base status chance should use the 60/60 mods... so I’m a bit confused

Apart from that, for heavy builds, 60/60 or 90%? Does it still matter on the status chance?

thanks in advance!

5 answers to this question

Ultimately, it depends on several factors: What weapon are you using? What's its attack speed, and what's its base status chance? What's its base damage weighting?

For example, Fragor prime has fantastic crit stats and 18% status chance (not bad), but it's slow and weighted heavily towards impact. So, despite its epic crit and decent status stats it ends up being kind of crap for most things due to the lack of slash damage. If it were at least a fast weapon then it could be useful for clearing trash mobs, but it's also damn slow.

So, it's not enough to look at the base stats on their own. One needs to consider the weapon as a whole, including its base stats, damage weighting, and even the melee weapon type!

For example, there are melee weapon types that have stances that force certain procs. Daggers stinging thorn stance has forced slash procs, and sovereign outcast for Tonfas also has forced slash procs. Due to this fact, Kronen Prime has been a meta melee weapon for a long time due to its high base slash and the forced slash procs on its combo. Single daggers, even with low slash damage (like the Balla Zaw), will still make big slash procs due to the stance alone. 

So in the end it's best to do your own testing with the weapon you're interested in. Swap out the stances, see what feels good, then test with various builds.

If you're looking for a rule of thumb that works for everything, it's really hard to recommend. I suggest 60/60s will be best in most cases, including heavy attack builds (because slash proc damage scales off base damage only).

Ultimately, it's best to first find a melee weapon you like, then find a stance for it that you enjoy, then play around with the mod build until you find something that works. There are simply too many variables to make a one-size-fits-all statement about what's best. 

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Sevek7 said:

For example, Fragor prime has fantastic crit stats and 18% status chance (not bad), but it's slow and weighted heavily towards impact. So, despite its epic crit and decent status stats it ends up being kind of crap for most things due to the lack of slash damage. If it were at least a fast weapon then it could be useful for clearing trash mobs, but it's also damn slow.

RE(only vaguely directed at you though):
Fragor is good for bonking things with really big Damage numbers though, and so it's a good case to focus on maximum Damage, since it won't offer all that much Status, even with the multi-hits the Stances can offer.

in contrast to say, Ninkonki, which has high speed and high Status, plus Stance offers multi-hits. so that Weapon would want to get that Status Chance even high to stack Status Effects.

in further contrast to say, uhhhhhhhhh........ Tatsu, which has good Status Chance and respectable Attack Speed/Stance, but it's also in a class that aims to be a hard hitter, so you may end up wanting to go for a middleground.

one should also take Damage weighting into account. if you want to apply say, native Physical Status Effects, or native Elemental effects, adding too much other Elemental Damage will make you unlikely to apply those, so sometimes you may prefer to intentionally Mod for less Damage to get Status Effects that will end up performing better overall.

As more of a casual long time player, i generally see it that if i want to focus status in my build, ill do a 60/60, but if its crit or raw damage then a 90.

Because of the way status stacks now, more status chance is never really wasted.

Archived