Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Armor 2.0 Really Help Volt?

Solaurus

Armor 2.0 seems to concentrate more on equalizing elements and adding synergy rather then buffing them outright. Volt is a purely electrical frame. How will this fit? How will this help? I hope it will help and I just feel like hearing how you think it would help if at all and how you would change the armor situation if you were in charge of it.

Ultimate volt fix: delete it

This.

I own all of the Warframes, and Volt was the most dreadful for me to level. It took about two weeks to finally max him, and I hated every moment of it. The only thing he is good at is speed runs, but when you consider the other better mobility skills, even his Speed sucks.

Ultimate volt fix: revert it to before the ubernerf in the CB, around 5.4 if i remember correctly.

Or wait until the violent overhaul known as Damage 2.0 before changing everything. That way the Devs aren't going to be wasting valuable resources doing a job twice when they can easily do it once with far less stress or unnecessary work.

Or wait until the violent overhaul known as Damage 2.0 before changing everything. That way the Devs aren't going to be wasting valuable resources doing a job twice when they can easily do it once with far less stress or unnecessary work.

This.

On the other side Armor 2.0 can have quite significant impact on Volt considering how resistances are currently calculated.

Yep, it's probably going to be better to balance him around 2.0.

Scott is already looking at him though (supposedly) but he does need a bit more... spice, to feel more like a power damage frame. I mean shock just feels a little bland.... We'll see how it turns out, in the end.

Edited by RahuStalker

From what I understand EVERYTHING will be effected by Armor in Damage 2.0.

Meaning that Electric damage will be on par.

And as there is no serrated blade damage, and the highest damage multiplier is +75%

Then that means that Electricity is going to be relatively better, especially considering it now does extra damage to Robotics and has a chance to Chain Damage.

And as Health and Armor are going down in general, this also helps out Electric damage as it's the only damage type that didn't get a nerf to go along with the global Hp and Armor decrease of enemies, rather a buff.

It might not fix Volt's problems but It'll definitely help make the load easier.

Volt's problems are more mechanical then numerical. You just can't simply buff his numbers.

He's going to have to have a few core mechanic reworks because he is just badly made.

Shock requiring pin-point accuracy, improper chain mechanics, Electric shield contradicting Speed.

I've got a thread on all of Volt's mechanical issues, and the ways to fix them. The list is pretty hefty and it's an obligatory wall of text.

It's the one with the cheesy sonic quotes.

Armor 2.0 will remove the liability of electric damage, but Volt still has sub-par numbers beyond that.

I don't think Volt needs some deep rework.  The simplest, most basic changes to help Volt would be damage buffs, guaranteed Shock stun, Electric shield affected by Focus and Stretch, and Overload's cast time reduced (it lasts a good two seconds longer than necessary).  Anything beyond that would be gravy, but with these changes Volt would at least be on the same level as other frames.

Armor 2.0 will remove the liability of electric damage, but Volt still has sub-par numbers beyond that.

I don't think Volt needs some deep rework.  The simplest, most basic changes to help Volt would be damage buffs, guaranteed Shock stun, Electric shield affected by Focus and Stretch, and Overload's cast time reduced (it lasts a good two seconds longer than necessary).  Anything beyond that would be gravy, but with these changes Volt would at least be on the same level as other frames.

My personal opinion (and probably not a popular one, because it's mine) is to rework him slightly, and replace Electric Shield. Volt was my first ever warframe and the "alternative to gunplay" description is still with me to this day, and I just don't think the shield is a good fit, regardless of how good it actually is.

One of the objectives of Armor 2.0 is reduce the importance of armor ignore in high-level content. This would benefit every frame that does non-AI damage such as Mag (Crush), Ember, Volt, Frost, etc. From there, it'd be much easier to balance things to make sense. Numbers would need tweaking, yes, but the scaling curve wouldn't be so insane as to make it "murder everything at low level" or "completely useless in high level".

I agree with Yg-Dosst, Volt's issue is skill synergy, and there was a beautiful thread where someone brought this point up. His point was that there is 3 kinds of synergy to be had in frames: negative, neutral, and positive. Volt currently has negative, meaning that his skills contradict each other(, and his description...). Positive synergy is where each skill works well, but can be linked in interesting ways. Use of a debuff, buff, bonus functions of certain skills, or even being able to cast one skill fluidly after another can achieve this.

Some of us have threads we're sitting on for after Armor 2.0 to edit accordingly, but this is my recommendation for anyone who wants to make a Volt suggestion:

1. Hold off until Armor 2.0

2. Play Volt extensively before and after Armor 2.0

3. Avoid labeling shortcuts (Synapse) as fixes

4. As Volt's issue is more mechanical than damage output based, start there. (Suggestion: Volt should be able to use all skills while in full motion--sprinting, kicking, wallrunning, etc.). Then move to damage buffs/nerfs.

5. If changing any skills, start with a loose archetype you want him to follow. (Caster, Gunslinger, Support, etc.)If not look at ways to make his current skills more cohesive.

6. Alter his stats based off of your new Volt. He should get a standard sprint speed boost, however.

7. Write a new description, or keep the old one, for him based off of your decisions. Skill descriptions wouldn't hurt either.

8. Label your thread appropriately

9. Do not go to a thread you disagree with just to shout slander and sway people to your side. Be genuinely constructive.

Edited by WondahBoah

Armor 2.0 seems to concentrate more on equalizing elements and adding synergy rather then buffing them outright. Volt is a purely electrical frame. How will this fit? How will this help? I hope it will help and I just feel like hearing how you think it would help if at all and how you would change the armor situation if you were in charge of it.

We're rather hoping we can apply elements from two sources to get the elemental combos. So Volt can be an electric source. So Ember and Volt could team up with their skills and unleash some really cool combo. Or Frost, or Saryn.