Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller+M+KB and chat.

ErikaFurudo

This has been a problem in game for a couple of years now.

I play with a controller (and will not stop using a controller). As an inevitable part of controllers, the sticks will eventually start to drift over time. This isn't a problem in normal gameplay. When you use the in game chat (something done with a keyboard) any input on the controller (such as stick drift) interrupts all mouse+keyboard input.

Practically this means typing messages in squad chat ends up looking like "ts is aamplef interrupted typing" because the keyboard input gets disabled. Opening the controller chat overlay does not alleviate this problem (why does the controller chat overlay even exist?).

Desired solution would be to permit both input devices concurrently as I believe used to be the case 4+ years ago. Solutions that involve a gigantic deadzone or buying a new controller every every couple of months are bad.

13 minutes ago, ErikaFurudo said:

olutions that involve a gigantic deadzone or buying a new controller every every couple of months are bad.

If you are buying new controllers every couple of months I recommend not buying crappy quality controllers.. I've used the same Xbox One controller for a few years now. They typically last between 1-2+ years if you take care of them.

21 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

f you are buying new controllers every couple of months I recommend not buying crappy quality controllers.. I've used the same Xbox One controller for a few years now. They typically last between 1-2+ years if you take care of them.

Thank you for completely failing to address the point of the post. 

I am using an original 360 controller which is just developing stick drift after about a year of Warframe, an entirely irrelevant fact to the need for controller input to not disable mouse+kb input,

2 minutes ago, ErikaFurudo said:

Thank you for completely failing to address the point of the post. 

Well the problem is caused by your faulty / broken controller so the point of your post is to have the devs fix something you should be fixing yourself.

5 minutes ago, ErikaFurudo said:

I am using an original 360 controller which is just developing stick drift after about a year of Warframe, an entirely irrelevant fact to the need for controller input to not disable mouse+kb input,

I've had my 360 controller about 10 years, it has very tiny stick drift that started about a year ago and Warframe is the only game where it was even registered. All I had to do is slightly adjust the deadzone. Having a broken controller is not entirely irrelevant to your point when it is the reasoning behind your point...

All right. So I booted up steam warframe and using controller opened chat and pulled up the window to type a message in. Then I typed out doom on my keyboard and hit enter. It sent fine, simply switching from controller to M+kb because I pressed the buttons on the keyboard. So my question is are there any other extraneous bits of information that could be pertinent to reproducing this? Are you using something like steam big picture maybe?

4 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

Are you using something like steam big picture maybe?

No Steam involved, just the standalone client.
The best way to view this behaviour is to push on an axis input while slowly moving the mouse, Warframe will rapidly swap between the controller cursor and mouse cursor while the UI will change between controller button prompts and keyboard button prompts. Here is a short video demonstrating what it looks like, note the very obvious interruptions when I am backspacing the text:

https://imgur.com/DIjcdOf

10 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

All I had to do is slightly adjust the deadzone.

Not a solution. Stick drift is inevitable and I'd rather not have to regularly replace the potentiometers in order for Warframe's UI to be usable. This drift is entirely fine in mission and just makes chat/menus misery.

12 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

All right. So I booted up steam warframe and using controller opened chat and pulled up the window to type a message in. Then I typed out doom on my keyboard and hit enter. It sent fine, simply switching from controller to M+kb because I pressed the buttons on the keyboard. So my question is are there any other extraneous bits of information that could be pertinent to reproducing this? Are you using something like steam big picture maybe?

The error is from hardware, not software. Their controller joysticks are constantly pushing, even when in the neutral position. Because of this, they have great difficulty typing. They refuse to use deadzone settings and refuse to get a non-damaged controller.

I had to use 3rd party software to manage my deadzones. The drift on the joysticks interferes with the Microsoft store and Netflix, so it was a big deal for me.

5 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

The error is from hardware, not software.

The software error is in the inconsistent behaviour of the UI relative to missions. In mission I can use mouse+controller at the same time without any problem to control my warframe, shoot enemies, etc. Aiming+shooting with the mouse while walking with a thumbstick works. In the game UIs trying to use both the controller+other input devices is forbidden by software.

8 hours ago, ErikaFurudo said:

The software error is in the inconsistent behaviour of the UI relative to missions. In mission I can use mouse+controller at the same time without any problem to control my warframe, shoot enemies, etc. Aiming+shooting with the mouse while walking with a thumbstick works. In the game UIs trying to use both the controller+other input devices is forbidden by software.

<snark removal>

The behaviour of the user interface looks very consistent to me. If I wiggle my joystick, the keyboard and typing-input zones are disabled. It just depends on if the sensors in my joystick are drifting at any given time.

About using your mouse and controller at the same time: yes it works. But typing into chat doesn't work. This is from joystick drift.

Anyway, you are perfectly within your right to request this feature to be added into the game. It is not a bug or inconsistency because, as you already said, you are using a damaged controller that misfires signals to your computer. In the meantime you are your own worst enemy because you refuse to use the solution that DE already instituted (to address the drift issue by modifying the deadzone).

2 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

snip

Ah wonderful, a snarky pop culture gif; way to lower the discourse to the level of Twitter.

Mouse+controller and keyboard+controller are both equally functional for control in mission. You can walk with keyboard while aiming with your controller if you so desire. If you hold opposite direction look inputs with mouse+controller you can shakily keep the camera centered. The only place the one input disables the whole device other seems to be in the menu UI. This was added back when the entire UI was overhauled to accept controller inputs in the PC version, previously having not been a problem since the old UI outright didn't recognize controllers. Deadzones are not a solution because they affect in mission gameplay behaviour when the problem only exists in menus.

That said, you last paragraph seems to imply you are lost here. This is the Feedback -> Art, Animation and UI subforum, not the Bug Reporting forum.

Archived