Should Warframe have a pity system?

Zahnny

13 hours ago, minininja77 said:

The pity system is based off spending premium or semi premium currency's on lottery and lootbox's, WF does not have a system like this so it really doesn't apply. The grind in WF may feel crappy at times but its 1000x better than lootbox/lottery 

Not when you fail 1000x times due to sheer bad luck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Of course you picked the most sought after and rare items in the game. No surprise there.

Were the 2 events handing out arcane energizes like candy not enough for you? Need faster plat?

Said events were here only temporary, every new player or any player who wasnt around missed on those and have to either grind or trade. 

Word of advice, lay off salt. 

18 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

Incidentally, game modes with dedicated currencies and a vendor (SP and Arbys) already have the infrastructure for a similar system. Which would be being able to buy the item that won't drop. That said, the exchange rate for those items would likely be padded a bit more then the (surprisingly reasonable) prices for the stuff currently in those vendors. 

Just gonna say, duplicate protection on Liches took one single weapon off the roster per roll, at best the effect was marginal and you could just as easily flip flop between two weapons forever, it really was not the cure-all that people think it is. There's also an equally important system (Valence Fusion) that encourages you to get duplicates. (that ended up being more then "Just gonna say")

...You can also trade outright with other players.  SO, if you don't get the Lich combo you WANT, or you don't get the relic drop you WANT, you can trade what you DO have/get for plat or straight-up other drops. 

I'd call that a failsafe, tbh.  Peeps just need to stop thinking about the stuff they get as "trash", and see it as "someone else's treasure", instead.

I get 5 relics, and DON'T get the drop I wanted?  I now have 5 prime parts to trade for plat to buy the thing I wanted.   Don't like the lich?  Convert and trade to someone who DOES.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, (PSN)JustJoshinEnt said:

...You can also trade outright with other players.  SO, if you don't get the Lich combo you WANT, or you don't get the relic drop you WANT, you can trade what you DO have/get for plat or straight-up other drops. 

I'd call that a failsafe, tbh.  Peeps just need to stop thinking about the stuff they get as "trash", and see it as "someone else's treasure", instead.

I get 5 relics, and DON'T get the drop I wanted?  I now have 5 prime parts to trade for plat to buy the thing I wanted.   Don't like the lich?  Convert and trade to someone who DOES.

Relics def don't need pity system.

However Tenet Melee and Holokeys def could use it or allow trading.

Just anything at this point really.

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: Warframe is not a gatcha game. IF you spend real money on Warframe it gets you immediate things not more currency for the slot machine. Genshin's Pity system exists to ensure that people will be more likely to play the slot machine because even if you don't get something you are working towards something so you will be more likely to spend more money than just give up. In Warframe if you can't get something to drop you either buy it or trade for it. A pity system would ruin the market for certain drops since you are not limited on your drops. Hardcore players would abuse a pity and flood the market with cheap stuff making rivens the only way to make money.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Zahnny said:

I'm not in favor or against, I just haven't seen this topic before so I'm curious.

Why would anyone be against it ?

Basing everything on pure RNG is bad game design.  For example riven rolls can be 100% pure RNG. It is like gambling. Same goes for other optional stuff as well.

But essential drops, like prime parts should have a pity system. 

The problem with WF is, the grind is bland and non challenging. So doing the same thing over and over again is not rewarding unless you get exactly what you want. There aren't any random loot or any loot that is worthy of your time, like catalyst bps or some other essentials. IF the grind was fun and had colleteral rewards then pure RNG system could work.

• Like 2

The best thing about the update that gave us Lavos was DE offering Lavos pieces at a store that you could just purchase with currency from playing the new game mode, while still rewarding Lavos pieces randomly from the game mode itself.  That's as close to a "pity system" that I can think of in this game.

I wish they would do this more often.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bad4youLT said:

Said events were here only temporary, every new player or any player who wasnt around missed on those and have to either grind or trade. 

Word of advice, lay off salt. 

They're still rare items that probably aren't meant to be acquired in 4 days.

Trading and grinding is a part of the game. In 2 weeks you could have more than enough to buy energize and you'll never have to buy anything that expensive because you'll never need two.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Trading and grinding is a part of the game. In 2 weeks you could have more than enough to buy energize and you'll never have to buy anything that expensive because you'll never need two.

Pity system doesn't mean everything will be granted ezpz in couple days. It would mean giving players an option to get Energize reliably with a week by playing instead of going through shoddy experience of trading that is rife with afk ppl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlOfJune said:

Not when you fail 1000x times due to sheer bad luck.

It took me nearly 5 years to get all the parts for the Brakk, I spent around 200 beacons just trying to get the BP, so I know all about bad luck and still would not want a pitty system, lottery/lootbax system in WF.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zahnny said:

Certain games, the most notable that I can think of being Genshin Impact has a Pity System which helps players if they have bad luck.

In their version, every 10 rolls garuntees one 4 star character. Every 90 rolls garuntees one 5 star character, unless you obtain them before hitting the pity threshold. Either way, it will then reset your Pity upon either criteria being met.

Essentially for certain things like Arbitrations, if you're having extremely bad luck, if your luck is so bad, it'll accumulate and give you it past a certain point.

This sounds like a very good idea centered around player benefit.

Thus, it will never happen.

DE would rather have you try farming something 1000 times, burn out and leave the game in an effort to prolong the farming process for as long as possible than having a cap in the number of failed attempts so you and then move on to farm something else until you hit the failed attempt cap again and move on to the next thing.

Edited by Jarriaga

2 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

No one should ever be forced to buy or whale for anything , that is not a good game design .

On top the supply will eventually dry up resulting in price hike because remember top end arcanes not only are rare and time gated but you also need not one but 21 pieces of the same thing to get the full effect , the grind for that is brutal .

• Like 1

Seeing how the "pity system" is more often than not applied to things that require real money and almost always related to gacha system, I don't think we'll need it anytime soon.

But if you insist, I can put it, but requiring extra effort such as harrow system from 32 squad evacuated in one run, not cumulative runs so there's your pity system, a little helping hand if you go extra mile for that. I would call it as tiered drop table instead of pity system though

How about we just teach people to have patience and relax and not get overtaken with FOMO and the desire for instant gratification?

How about we remind people it's a video game for ephemeral fun and that getting more pixel toys in a video game is not something you need, it's just something you want?

• Like 6

WF has a pity system, it's called tradeable plat.

Seriously, players being able to trade premium currency among themselves largely makes it unnecessary, even in games with actual gachas/lootboxes (which relics are not, they're sort of opposite of that -- you pay real money to not to gamble.)

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

No one should ever be forced to buy or whale for anything , that is not a good game design .

On top the supply will eventually dry up resulting in price hike because remember top end arcanes not only are rare and time gated but you also need not one but 21 pieces of the same thing to get the full effect , the grind for that is brutal .

Except the part where it's done in every game, everywhere.

"No one should ever..."Is just a platitude, like saying "People shouldn't yell at each other", even though they do.....because simply saying something doesn't make it true. 

Expecting to never pay for anything means that person is entitled. So you have time instead. Either way something is being given.

And no one is forced to buy anything. They weigh the pros and cons and make a decision. No game company or individual entity has captured me and made me purchase something under duress.

• Like 4

There are very few items (out of 100s) in Warframe that takes more than a month to get. Many people are complaining about RNG just to complain. 

Rarity is the carrot that a game like Warframe is built around. Some things are easy to acquire, others are not. This isn't new to looters. It's not a flaw, it's by design. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, OwlOfJune said:

Pity system doesn't mean everything will be granted ezpz in couple days. It would mean giving players an option to get Energize reliably with a week by playing instead of going through shoddy experience of trading that is rife with afk ppl.

Energize is a high value item. No one is gonna miss that sale or purchase. Purchases like that are premeditated....so if I'm buying one I'll already have that plat ready to hand over....and if I'm selling, I'm gonna have filters on trade chat to send a PM as soon as I see "wtb arcane energize r5".

And arcanes also now drop from orphix rotation C as well. 

You can wait for the chance for DE to change it and do nothing in the meantime, but by the time that RNG adjustment comes....you could have farmed it by then if you started now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

And no one is forced to buy anything.

Ok then grind out 21 arcane energizers or grace , Il wait to see how long it will take you provided you don't lose your sanity first .

9 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

There are very few items (out of 100s) in Warframe that takes more than a month to get. Many people are complaining about RNG just to complain. 

Rarity is the carrot that a game like Warframe is built around. Some things are easy to acquire, others are not. This isn't new to looters. It's not a flaw, it's by design. 

Not just warframe but most games, have a handful of rare items. It's a completely normal thing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

And arcanes also now drop from orphix rotation C as well. 

Wich is worst then eidolons as all , and I mean all of the arcanes are in rotation C , not only drop tables are extremely deluded but the drop chances are lower then hydrolist .

Not just warframe but most games, have a handful of rare items. It's a completely normal thing.

having to farm for 21 of the same item while having multiples of other item in same drop table isn't what I would call "completely normal" 

Just now, bad4youLT said:

Ok then grind out 21 arcane energizers or grace , Il wait to see how long it will take you provided you don't lose your sanity first .

I took the energize I already had from eidolons.....and the plat I made from selling things and I could have bought two R5s.

• Like 2

I took the energize I already had from eidolons.....and the plat I made from selling things and I could have bought two R5s.

I said grind it out , not trade it .