Becoming Too Meta Heavy

(PSN)SilverN1ghtW0lf

DISCLAIMER 

I'm gonna just assume the majority of the first batch of people reading this are gonna jump right to comment and yell, "Your opinion is S#&$" and thus I'll get this out of the way right off the bat. I really don't care if you disagree argue all you want, call me wrong all you want. Like I said a good number probably won't even bother to read beyond the title.

What Do I Mean By "Meta Heavy"?

Simply put it's becoming very clear as time goes on DE really wants you to min-max everything to oblivion and your stats are so chonky you can solo the whole Steel Path Star map with an ice cream scoop and one shot Stalker and band of edge boy and girl groupies and call it an Edge Lord Sunday with melted fudge and nut. But also as new content gets added like... I dunno I guess Sevagoth farming is a good example. So far into the game if you don't wanna buy him you gotta farm Void Storms at Neptune, Pluto and the Veil. (weirdly spesific farming locals aside) Railjack alone is a ways into the game yes and Sevagoth even further. But this is a growing community with new players very frequently, there gonna see Ghost Boi, they gonna want Ghost Boi and some are probably gonna want him so bad they buy him, but what of those that wanna put in the work?

Well if you don't want to slog through it, play with randoms if you don't got a squad or solo all the way to Railjack, hope you like grinding for weeks to get the right mods, frames, weapons and arcanes till you become the aforementioned Stat-Chungus. Before.... I'll say around Scarlet Spear? Maybe War Within, Warframe had this unique feature that you could use whatever you want and with the right mods and just enough effort put into them and still boom, bam, slam, kick, punch, stab, cut, BONK your way to victory. Not to say it's not still like that especially if you don't care about Steel Path, that's what it's there for. Just feel main game and it's content additions as time goes on is slowly forcing players to min-max if they want to see all Warframe has to offer. Now that's fine for players like most of us who have dedicated almost 10 years of our lives to this game and have everything from mob weakness to drop percentages for each individual prime part memorized. 

But here's the thing..... You're spring loaded, space Ninja hocked up on crack that commits genocide on a daily bases, the game is a power trip mob shooter and don't tell me it's not. Cuz while I did just spend the last 5 paragraphs saying you gotta min-max, at least for the time being there's still a good chunk of the game where yeah its nice you got that maxed out, 20 Forma, Cornith Prime with enhanced crit arcanes but at the end of the day, "Cleaving Whirlwind Galatine go BRRRRRRRRR!!"

So What's All This Gibberish Mean?

Really just that the one thing that has kept Warframe's grind from being unbearable is how fun and fast it is and if you gotta min-max to the point you spend more time making sure you got maximum stats in your mod screen than you are actually turning the varies enemies of the game into various flavors of mulch. The fun will grins to a halt at some point.

Some will be like "#*!% it I'll just buy the damn thing" others will be like "#*!% it I'm done with this game" and that's not something that should have to happen. I personally just don't want the grind to over take the fun to the point I stop playing after all these years and you shouldn't either. Oh and don't try to tell me "There's tons of people who think the game is too easy you idiot"

No, no there isn't, there's a very vocal 3 people who sat there is but there isn't, it's a horde shooter power trip if you actually complain it's too easy..... I dunno go make some rant about how I'm wrong and you're so #*!%ing good at everything you can beat Dark Souls with a potato controller or something I really don't care.

Love Y'all!!

I think you are saying min-maxing is bad? Or are you saying that putting new content like Sevagoth into medium-end player like railjack is bad? Or are you saying that it's bad when all you have to do is mash the melee button? ...at least I think I follow you...

Clearly you have a lot of something to say, maybe do you have a TL;DR version you could share?

19 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

I think you are saying min-maxing is bad? Or are you saying that putting new content like Sevagoth into medium-end player like railjack is bad? Or are you saying that it's bad when all you have to do is mash the melee button? ...at least I think I follow you...

Clearly you have a lot of something to say, maybe do you have a TL;DR version you could share?

If the player wants to min-max till their absolutely stacked and biff Stalker out a window with a stick fine.

But if the game is pushing min-max as a Requirement in order to just reach the newer content.

Where's the fun in that I ask?

4 minutes ago, (PSN)SilverN1ghtW0lf said:

But if the game is pushing min-max as a Requirement in order to just reach the newer content.

Where's the fun in that I ask?

Ah, I get it. Yes I totally agree!

I think DE is trying to find ways to make challenging content without forcing players to use the "meta" solution. Or, at least I think they are. Some of DE_Megan's comments in her streams have suggested that the idea of "use meta or you're doing it wrong" is discouraged by the staff at DE.

I hope the upcoming "in their shoes" content will accomplish that with Veso & Kahl.

I think it's a case of Warframe's design not keeping up with the power creep in a healthy manner. Warframe's in a state, and has been for a long time, where the meta has been 'nuke or be nuked'. Or rather, 'cheese or be cheesed'. Back in the days around Plains of Eidolon's launch, where 'high level' content was a rare thing, the only place the meta was used was in endurance runs for bragging rights. I still remember videos of this. Constant invisibility spamming, often with Ash to make use of the Fatal Teleport/Covert Lethality instakill combo.

Enemies couldn't react and died instantly. If you messed up for a second, though, you'd also die instantly. No shield gating back then after all. You had to cheese that way to survive, lest you get instantly gibbed. Combine this with Warframe's trend towards simpler missions overall (usually only one or two objectives per mission, frequently similar ones) and Warframe's honestly bad damage system and of course, some power creep, and this means that the 'meta' quickly becomes apparent - roles for Warframes become clearly defined. Usually, 'deal as much damage as possible/as much damage that bypasses armour as possible in as wide an area'.

Now, when DE decides to make higher level content, they need to design for the Meta. The meta of 'Interact with the game as little as possible'. After all, interacting with the game means not cheesing it, which opens you to being cheesed. What's a DE to do? If they nerf the meta, the community riots. If they don't the community steamrolls everything.

First of all, have a glass of water, bro.

Secondly, good of you for realizing that some (or most) comments are just gonna disagree -we do disagree on everything, therefore acknowledging that all of this are just rants to get it out of your system. Acceptance is always the important first step. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you're wise. we need to stay wise in these cursed forums.

HOWEVER... minmax and meta are generally worthless and only exist in the head of those who believe it. Need a proof? Answer me this: what is the absolute maximum build for kronen prime? I can absolutely guarantee that at least one person here have ir can replace at least one mod and have just as good kronen prime. There are no "one absolute maximum settings" in warframe, just "generally good" settings that youtubers make you believe is the best.

My favorite example is eidolon sniper. What is the undisputed meta sniper for eidolon? Rubico prime, right. Everybody know that. But you actually can build a lanka that'll perform just as good -only few seconds slower. For me, "few seconds" will never worth being a meta slave. I will use what's more fun for me instead of what youtubers tell me.

Sure there are some must-have mods that'll do better than other mods, every videogames have that one ridiculously good items. Who use buster sword anyway, we all use ultima weapon to fight sephiroth, right? But as long as we can still have some form of creativity with our builds albeit minimum, and not being forced to use one god build that the entire community is also using, imma say that "meta" in warframe is overrated.

Archived