Idea for an endless mission type. Let me know if it sounds cool. Better invasions kinda. "Frontline"

So I like WWI style no man's land battlefields. It's an epic setting. | I like the idea of Tenno being like the Jedi in starwars. By that, I mean in the way that the Jedi are battlefield generals. | So I was thinking... Put the two together in a large scale battle mode. To what end? 

Each node has you commanding a specific faction. Only one faction can be commanded in a mission and never sentients. You'd essentially be trying to push a frontline against sentients or whatever other faction. You'd be giving basic commands to NPC armies while participating in the combat as well. I'm imagining procedurally generated craters and other features like hazards and loot. The goal is to push the line as far as you can, and depending how far you get, the enemy level increases like any endless mission. 

Can it work performance-wise? Yes. Can it be fit into the universe? Seems like it. 

I don't have a super clear picture of what this is, but I thought I'd get it out there anyway. Cheers. 

11 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

So I like WWI style no man's land battlefields. It's an epic setting. | I like the idea of Tenno being like the Jedi in starwars. By that, I mean in the way that the Jedi are battlefield generals.

Not sure that's a thing in the current lore. Granted, the lore is shaped by the modes already in the game, but my read of the Tenno was an assassin's guild (one of about fifty the Orokin put together). Hired guns, rather than paladins or officers. And the current invasions reflect that: instead of the Tenno giving any actual orders, they are just told "we have plan X, we will pay you with reward if you help us achieve steps A, B, and C by killing our enemies."

ok, but how would this mode work on confined tilesets? to me that's just like running a survival with specters you have to command. to reach the full scope of battle, a mode like this would work best on open worlds, where you could have a distinctive frontline, with a series of bases on each side and a no-man's land in-between where fighting would be at it's peak, and artillery could rain down. then as you clear out each base your team moves forward until they win by taking the last base. at the same time though the enemy would launch counterattacks by taking your bases from underneath you, so you'd have to balance your offense and your defensive needs simultaneously. 

I don't know if a mode like this would work, but Invasions definitely need some higher-stakes all out warfare, because both Corpus and grineer are MASSIVE armies with near-infinite resources who's fights would look a lot more like the petit skirmishes we see now.

Archived