Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

High Ping (Posted in wrong forum section, my bad :P)

Whibbs

Question

Disclaimer: Been through a lot of forum posts and, personally, I haven't found one with the same info that I mention here, so I apologize if it's redundant.

TLDR: Need help fixing me being a bad host :P

I've done a lot of... looking around online, I guess... and I've made a lot of changes to my in-game, network and GPU settings, etc. etc. that I found and on my own I do seem to be running tremendously better as far as staying connected in Warframe (solo). However, any time I start a squad, invite my SO and start a mission, we immediately start getting high ping and the "Network not responding" pop-up for about 10-15 seconds, every 5ish minutes or so. Or when I'm hosting 

Now, I'm assuming it's only when I'm hosting a group in general that the problem begins, because when my SO isn't playing and I join other squads, I don't seem to have an issue. I also don't know how to tell if I'm the host or not when I start a mission and it drops me into a group/people join my group either.

I do run on a laptop (I know, bleh), but it's still decent either way. I'm fairly certain that's not relevant to my problem and the specs should be more than enough if I'm having literally zero lag spikes in everything except when I host a mission, but I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to, at the very least, set/change anything at this point so that when I host, I'm not making the game unbearable for other players? In my old place of living, I was on WiFi and ran the exact same way that I've described thus far. Now though, I'm using ethernet, and yeah I can tell there's a huge difference but as far as hosting goes, no dice. But, here's some general info I guess, don't know what would be needed exactly for anyone to be able to properly assist me, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

• ISP: xFinity (Comcast), multiple speed tests came back 450+ download, 20-28 upload, 8-16 ping.
  • PC Specs:
    • HP Zbook 17 G5
    • i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
    • 16gb RAM, DirectX 12
    • internal Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
    • integrated NVIDIA Quadro P5200

I can't quite remember every little thing that I've tried (short of having my SO host, but I figure same internet, probably same problem), but here's a checklist of things I found online, in which I assume only helped, even marginally, because there is a difference, no matter how small.

• Added TCP values to the registry
  • Port forwarding
  • Altered in-game settings to recommendations online
  • Downloaded a 'low ping' bat file (most helpful that I could tell, but not enough apparently)
  • Downloaded a TCP optimizer
  • Made sure all drivers were up to date
  • Altered 'Advanced' and 'Power Management' properties for my ethernet connection
  • Contacted ISP and had a tech visit, modem replaced, no change

I'm also aware that apparently Warframe is P2P, which I guess sucks, more or less? Just getting tired at this point, been at it for days and still can't seem to host properly. Also kind of found something online about playing Warframe through Steam may or may not cause unnecessarily high ping, but I'm honestly not sure. 

I apologize for the extremely long post! At this point I don't know what else to try, so, hit me :P

Just as a referenceable update/answer in case anyone else has the same issues, here are the two major steps that seem to have fixed my issue, almost entirely:

• Changed modem/router firewall settings to custom.
  • Called ISP and had a technician come out:
    • Checked for noise (at the time of this reply and in my case, the abundance of noise in my neighborhood is still in the process of being fixed)
    • Set an appointment to have a new line buried due to ingress in the old one
    • Rewired my internet completely and checked for old, live wires (there were none in my case)

If anyone else has unending interruptions during gameplay, can't seem to play with friends without someone else starting the squad or anything to that nature, you might want to try those things out, if possible for you. If after changing your modem/router firewall settings didn't help, I highly recommend contacting your ISP and requesting that a tech come out to check for noise in your area and/or ingress in the lines. It just might be what you need to get going again, but you won't know until you try. 😄

4 hours ago, HappyFishxas said:

Am I allowed to paste external URL here? My sibling loves to play Dota too but couldn't, because of this NAT thing. Check out the link 

Windows 10: How to Tell if Your ISP Uses Carrier Grade NAT (CG-NAT) (winbuzzer.com)

Sadly(?), that's not an issue in my case. I ran the tracert (which, thank you btw for that little test, love learning/finding new things :) ), but it only came back with the 1 line, so I assume that my ISP isn't using CG-NAT

Just figured i'd add a few things, particularly regarding the firewall:

On 2021-08-05 at 6:18 AM, Whibbs said:

Interesting update:

Still waiting for the tech visit, but I did manage to find the logs in my modem and noticed that there's an event log at the exact timestamp for every single time that I've had all of the explained issues thus far.

Just today alone I've gotten these ones:

• FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop , 196 Attempts, 2021/8/4 13:11:43Firewall Blocked
  • FW.WANATTACK DROP , 17 Attempts, 2021/8/4 11:58:01Firewall Blocked
  • FW.IPv6 INPUT drop , 258 Attempts, 2021/8/4 06:58:01Firewall Blocked

Any ideas/explanations? The list is extensive and goes all the way back to the start of service.

If you made any changes because of this, i'd suggest walking them back (maybe walk back quite a few of the changes in general?). Your firewall will get hit constantly; day in, day out. Turning it off exposes your local network - the same is true for port forwarding; except you are defining the route through your firewall, and traffic that doesn't adhere gets burned. A port you open is likely to also be found and attacked, make sure whatever you have at the other end properly handles the traffic - for games consoles, it's typically fine. For windows the risk increases but only if you use windows' built in firewall (which is kinda rubbish imho). To test that your port forward works, and your ports are open, you can use this site: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 

On 2021-08-04 at 5:35 AM, Whibbs said:

Made sure it was set to that this morning. Thought about turning it off (0?) might help too, but I don't know how risky that is and couldn't find much information online.

As a rule of thumb, you can describe NAT as:

Type 3: WAN - Router - Device

Type 2: WAN <- Router <- Device

Type 1: WAN <-> Router <-> Device

When you port forward, this path is also rigid. You cannot have:

WAN <-> Router <-> (Device 1, Device 2)  - As you found out with your partners NAT type. A path from wan to device is usually singular (unless you want to get into some network-fu, but your headache for that)

As a little tip for UPNP: More or less, all your router does in this case is set the port forward rules as they occur. You can connect to warframe and play a few rounds, and check your router for the rules it created. You can then take note of that, turn off UPNP, and set your own port forwarding rule with matching values. UPNP can be a bit of a security hole since it has no idea who (from your local network) told it to create a port forwarding rule. A malicious app will try to exploit upnp.

For hosting, NAT 1 is preferred since it allows traffic from outside. You'll survive with NAT 2 since it's the default for most installations and developers aren't stupid about it. But if you were to host your own server where you'd handle lots of connections, you'd want NAT 1.

On 2021-08-04 at 3:44 AM, Whibbs said:

Oh and in case anyone knows, when doing port forwarding, do I need to do all the listed TCP/UDP ports for Warframe (Steam) or can I suffice with just, like, half of them? I can't figure out how to port forward them to both computers (not sure if that's even a thing tbh), so I figure if I do half to mine and half to my SO's, maybe that'd help? When having them all forwarded to my PC, she gets a 'Strict NAT type' error.

A device usually reserves the port, and your router usually reserves the matching port on its end. Programs will typically have port ranges 1000-1005 and the program will usually try each in sequence until it finds one that isn't reserved on your network - Some titles like Battlefront iirc have massive port ranges 1000+, what they use it for, i don't know. A title like Battlefront is subsequently a pain in the arse to manually port forward for.

In general, you are advised to port forward all ranges to a single device because most advice is given as if a single user were using the rule. If you have two, or more, users you would need to break up the range for each device, and in a worst case, assign only a single port (Warframe, for both TCP and UDP, fortunately gives ~5 for each).

1 hour ago, Whibbs said:

So the technician arrived and spent a good hour and half checking things out, going to door to door and come to find out, someone living around us is causing an "extreme amount of noise."

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that's hard to troubleshoot remotely. 😉

Glad you got someone who could figure it out and hope it'll get fixed in the end.

Answers at last!

So the technician arrived and spent a good hour and half checking things out, going to door to door and come to find out, someone living around us is causing an "extreme amount of noise."

They're sending someone else out to go around again checking other customer's out and figure out who's causing all the noise, and the tech says they're either going to fix it or they'll have to shut off that person's service. I mean, sucks if they lose internet, but they're affecting everyone else's 😅. As far as my end goes, he re-ran new lines and made sure all the old ones weren't live anymore, and the guy that comes out next is going to be replacing the line that goes underground as well as going around the area, and also "installing a trap" to prevent it all from happening again, or so how he explained it.

Just glad to know that the issue isn't on my end. Still leaves me wondering why I had similar issues at a different household/network, buuut, that household was a lot more remote than this one, so kinda makes sense in that case.

Truly appreciate all the help everyone's tried to provide. Another 48 hours to a week and it's supposed to be fixed for everyone living around here, so I suppose it'll be worth the wait.

Thanks y'all!

1 minute ago, Kontrollo said:

I'm assuming that's a built-in firewall? Maybe disable that temporarily if possible and see how it goes.

Although I can imagine that might only be a symptom of another cause. It's a bit hard to troubleshoot beyond misconfigurations.

I searched those logs on Google and found a couple posts where one guy had apparently changed his router's firewall to Custom (0), which I thought about doing, but I don't know if that's safe or not. But in any case, he claims that, originally, he was having the same issues as me, but much more often. He said that after he switched to custom firewall settings in the router, he hasn't had the problem since.

My only issue with that (considering him and I have the same router model) is when I choose custom settings... there's no actual settings to customize. Idk why not, but I don't see anything 😅

Also discovered my network was being... broadcasted of sorts, in the sense that other people could connect to a 'guest' network being broadcasted from my network device and that it supposedly "doesn't effect my network" but I ain't falling for that 🙃. Sooo I turned that off and also hid my network, so, hoping that might've just been the answer I needed. But yeah, going to disable the firewall temporarily like you suggested and see what happens.

I'll know more once my SO is home and can help me test it more thoroughly in Warframe, since it's most noticeable there. Aside from that, the tech visit of course. But other than checking the post, cables and what-nots, Idk what he's going to be able to accomplish because others online with the same issue even had their modems and all that replaced and the issue still persisted.

2 hours ago, Whibbs said:

which btw, I have Xfinity, Comcast, and the Xfi Gateway - modem/router combined, if that matters

It might matter, but I'm not a router expert nor do I have experience with Comcast. 😃

2 hours ago, Whibbs said:

Just disabled all port forward changes/additions I made to the gateway and firewalls, restarted the game and did the 'analyze network,' it stated "All systems nominal. UPnP detected. I take that as I can probably just leave the port forwarding out of the equation then.

Yes, that sounds like it already works without port forwarding. And it's probably easier that way when using multiple machines.

22 minutes ago, Whibbs said:

Still waiting for the tech visit, but I did manage to find the logs in my modem and noticed that there's an event log at the exact timestamp for every single time that I've had all of the explained issues thus far.

Any ideas/explanations? The list is extensive and goes all the way back to the start of service.

I'm assuming that's a built-in firewall? Maybe disable that temporarily if possible and see how it goes.

Although I can imagine that might only be a symptom of another cause. It's a bit hard to troubleshoot beyond misconfigurations.

Interesting update:

3 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

In the settings you have the 'Network Porst (UDP)'. These are essential.

So either you do everything manually with port forwarding, then you have to pick different ports for your and your SO's PCs and set the forwarding to the right machines.

Or you use UPnP/NAT-PMP which should do all that automatically for you.

I think the 'analyse network' should tell you if there's a problem with UPnP/NAT-PMP. But probably only if you don't already do port forwarding because then it's not required. By the way, usually you want to try UPnP. NAT-PMP is doing basically the same thing as far as I know, but was introduced by Apple. That's not to say it can't work on Windows, just not what you'd generally use. It differs from router to router, but these days you should have a setting somewhere to enable/disable UPnP.

So to test, find/see if that's enabled on your router. Disable forwarding for the moment, then do the 'analyse network' thing again. If it then says that doesn't work, you might have to configure Windows, too, and try again.

Alternatively, if you're sure the port forwarding is set up correctly, you can keep that.

Ah I see what you mean now, thank you for explaining!

So, I think by default both UPnP and NAT-PMP were enabled, or I at least know 100% that UPnP was enabled. However, my issue still persisted so I ended up disabling that on a whim from looking online and that's what lead me to the port forwarding. I want to say that I did it correctly because I was following guides that players had linked here in the forums.

I added the port forwards (firstly) in my router (which btw, I have Xfinity, Comcast, and the Xfi Gateway - modem/router combined, if that matters), but there was no change, so I added the same port forwards into my firewalls, but still no change. I assume then I can probably just undo all that since it's not actually doing anything 'good,' although I don't know if they're doing anything 'bad' either, what would you suggest?

Just disabled all port forward changes/additions I made to the gateway and firewalls, restarted the game and did the 'analyze network,' it stated "All systems nominal. UPnP detected. I take that as I can probably just leave the port forwarding out of the equation then.

25 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

Does you public IP address change often? Do you have router logs you can check and see if there's some problem there?

It's probably best to wait for the technician, for now. Maybe they can give you additional information/insight.

I don't believe that it changes often. Pretty sure I already checked and raised it.

Yeah, I'll just wait for the technician to show up tonight. Especially considering it feels really odd that all my devices would be experiencing, essentially, 'not loading' issues, despite the internet showing as having not disconnected for over 20 hours (last time I reset the modem). What really throws me for a loop is that I had this problem at another household too, different network, same ISP, various devices.

In any case, I'll wait and see what happens then come back here for an update. I really appreciate all the help, thank you! :)

56 minutes ago, Whibbs said:

Hey, thank you for the tips! There's definitely a lot I don't know. I've only recently started looking into all this and trying different things out so I really appreciate the help :)

I only did both because I seen someone recommend it online and I found this while searching other forum posts on here:

https://portforward.com/help/warframe/

Since you say Warframe doesn't run on TCP, would that mean there's just no harm, no foul in me having the TCP port forwards? If there is, I'll remove it.

I also noticed that after doing those port forwards, it had started giving my SO 'Strict NAT type' errors, so I ended up splitting the ports up between our two PC's. I personally feel like I'm just doing stupid stuff to make things work, not knowing any better. Feel free to point out the stupidity and correct me if you're willing :'D

Edit: Misunderstood and see that you were referring to my "registry edits," makes sense, but doesn't seem to have done anything anyways so I might as well remove it yeah?

How would I conclude whether UPnP or NAT-PMP is already properly configured or not? I assume you mean settings in-game? Clarification either way though and I'll gladly check to make sure. I'm sure you can tell, I just want to figure this all out :).

When I click that button, even when seeing "Network not responding" during gameplay, it always tell me "...running optimal."

In the settings you have the 'Network Post (UDP)'. These are essential.

So either you do everything manually with port forwarding, then you have to pick different ports for your and your SO's PCs and set the forwarding to the right machines.

Or you use UPnP/NAT-PMP which should do all that automatically for you.

I think the 'analyse network' should tell you if there's a problem with UPnP/NAT-PMP. But probably only if you don't already do port forwarding because then it's not required. By the way, usually you want to try UPnP. NAT-PMP is doing basically the same thing as far as I know, but was introduced by Apple. That's not to say it can't work on Windows, just not what you'd generally use. It differs from router to router, but these days you should have a setting somewhere to enable/disable UPnP.

So to test, find/see if that's enabled on your router. Disable forwarding for the moment, then do the 'analyse network' thing again. If it then says that doesn't work, you might have to configure Windows, too, and try again.

Alternatively, if you're sure the port forwarding is set up correctly, you can keep that.

I did end up changing it to 'Laptop' instead of 'PC' for that exact reason, but because my SO and I want to play together, one of us ends up having to be the host regardless. At that point though, we eventually both see the "Network not responding" message, and it inevitably removes both of us from the squad of 4, but lets us continue the mission as just us 2.

Our internet is shared as far other devices in the household... if that's what you mean? But there's never any more than maximum 3 devices connected at any one time. I make sure of that before we do anything, just to help bandwidth. We currently are paying for 400mbs download, and I think 25mbs upload. However, with countless speed tests, we always maintain 470mbs+ download and 20mbs+ upload, with a constant 7-10ish ping, even during gameplay (even more so while the both of us are grouped with other players as well).

If there isn't something that swallows up the whole bandwidth and chokes you out (and from what you wrote I think that's unlikely), then that sounds odd.

There's another server involved (or a few): DE's own which manage sessions and your account. But they're not responsible for the gameplay itself, and I think the 'network not responding' is only towards those. Other players just get dropped/experience a host migration.

Does you public IP address change often? Do you have router logs you can check and see if there's some problem there?

We are both on wired connections, but have also tried wireless to no avail. It ends up being the exact same results either way, with no difference in download/upload speeds or ping since we sit right next to the router/modem.

I think I kind of started to realize that while trying to play last night and maybe just didn't know it. I definitely appreciate the clarification though, it does help me better understand.

Keep it wired while testing things. That cuts out one potential problem.

It's probably best to wait for the technician, for now. Maybe they can give you additional information/insight.

5 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

Great, I just wrote another long-ish post and I guess it got swallowed because a mod decided to move this topic. Thanks a lot!

Guess I'll have to do that again.

D:

My mistake from the start, I should've paid more attention. Sorry about that :(

I will also say that I'm getting to the conclusion that it's just something with my internet because I have the same kind of... hiccups, if you will... with every other device in the house. Be it streaming movies on my TV or browsing the internet/checking my email on my phone. Things just tend to stop loading. I feel like I can accurately say that the internet isn't outright going out because, if that were the case, normally I'd get the browser page stating "No internet connection," with the little dinosaur? :D But I only get pages like "Failed to load" or something like that.

Started looking into that and found some stuff to do with DNS issues, but I haven't really delved into that because I'm just tired of it at this point. I have a tech visit from my ISP tonight, so I'm hoping that might be all I need. Will leave updates on that as well.

Hey, thank you for the tips! There's definitely a lot I don't know. I've only recently started looking into all this and trying different things out so I really appreciate the help :)

2 hours ago, Kontrollo said:

A few things:

• First of all, Warframe runs over UDP not TCP, so whatever you tried to optimise TCP, it's not going to help.

I only did both because I seen someone recommend it online and I found this while searching other forum posts on here:

https://portforward.com/help/warframe/

Since you say Warframe doesn't run on TCP, would that mean there's just no harm, no foul in me having the TCP port forwards? If there is, I'll remove it.

I also noticed that after doing those port forwards, it had started giving my SO 'Strict NAT type' errors, so I ended up splitting the ports up between our two PC's. I personally feel like I'm just doing stupid stuff to make things work, not knowing any better. Feel free to point out the stupidity and correct me if you're willing :'D

Edit: Misunderstood and see that you were referring to my "registry edits," makes sense, but doesn't seem to have done anything anyways so I might as well remove it yeah?

• Port forwarding would be the first thing to do, unless UPnP or NAT-PMP are already properly configured. Are you sure the port forwarding you did was actually with the right settings? Is UPnP not an option for you? You don't need both 'port forwarding' and UPnP/NAT-PMP. The latter basically does all that's needed to get through a NAT, if it's possible to do that (not everyone can because things are complicated).

How would I conclude whether UPnP or NAT-PMP is already properly configured or not? I assume you mean settings in-game? Clarification either way though and I'll gladly check to make sure. I'm sure you can tell, I just want to figure this all out :).

• There's a button in the settings (I think under gameplay) "Analyze Network" or somesuch. Have you tried that? What does it say?

When I click that button, even when seeing "Network not responding" during gameplay, it always tell me "...running optimal."

• You can change in your settings from 'PC' to 'Laptop', and that can help the game decide to make you host less often.

I did end up changing it to 'Laptop' instead of 'PC' for that exact reason, but because my SO and I want to play together, one of us ends up having to be the host regardless. At that point though, we eventually both see the "Network not responding" message, and it inevitably removes both of us from the squad of 4, but lets us continue the mission as just us 2.

• Is your internet connection shared with others? Maybe you just don't have enough bandwidth to host reliably, when others are using it at the same time.

Our internet is shared as far other devices in the household... if that's what you mean? But there's never any more than maximum 3 devices connected at any one time. I make sure of that before we do anything, just to help bandwidth. We currently are paying for 400mbs download, and I think 25mbs upload. However, with countless speed tests, we always maintain 470mbs+ download and 20mbs+ upload, with a constant 7-10ish ping, even during gameplay (even more so while the both of us are grouped with other players as well).

• Is your connection over wireless? If so, maybe try a cable if that's possible, to rule out interference.

We are both on wired connections, but have also tried wireless to no avail. It ends up being the exact same results either way, with no difference in download/upload speeds or ping since we sit right next to the router/modem.

By the way, "P2P" doesn't really mean anything in this context. People use it to say that you're connected to another player, but the network architecture is still Host/Server <-> Client. If the network architecture were P2P there would be no distinction, everyone would be a "peer". Warframe has that as well, iirc, but only for voice chat. The game itself always has a host.

I think I kind of started to realize that while trying to play last night and maybe just didn't know it. I definitely appreciate the clarification though, it does help me better understand.

On 2021-08-03 at 6:02 AM, Whibbs said:

I can't quite remember every little thing that I've tried (short of having my SO host, but I figure same internet, probably same problem), but here's a checklist of things I found online, in which I assume only helped, even marginally, because there is a difference, no matter how small.

• Added TCP values to the registry
  • Port forwarding
  • Altered in-game settings to recommendations online
  • Downloaded a 'low ping' bat file (most helpful that I could tell, but not enough apparently)
  • Downloaded a TCP optimizer
  • Made sure all drivers were up to date
  • Altered 'Advanced' and 'Power Management' properties for my ethernet connection
  • Contacted ISP and had a tech visit, modem replaced, no change

I'm also aware that apparently Warframe is P2P, which I guess sucks, more or less? Just getting tired at this point, been at it for days and still can't seem to host properly. Also kind of found something online about playing Warframe through Steam may or may not cause unnecessarily high ping, but I'm honestly not sure. 

A few things:

• First of all, Warframe runs over UDP not TCP, so whatever you tried to optimise TCP, it's not going to help.

• Port forwarding would be the first thing to do, unless UPnP or NAT-PMP are already properly configured. Are you sure the port forwarding you did was actually with the right settings? Is UPnP not an option for you? You don't need both 'port forwarding' and UPnP/NAT-PMP. The latter basically does all that's needed to get through a NAT, if it's possible to do that (not everyone can because things are complicated).

• There's a button in the settings (I think under gameplay) "Analyze Network" or somesuch. Have you tried that? What does it say?

• You can change in your settings from 'PC' to 'Laptop', and that can help the game decide to make you host less often.

• Is your internet connection shared with others? Maybe you just don't have enough bandwidth to host reliably, when others are using it at the same time.

• Is your connection over wireless? If so, maybe try a cable if that's possible, to rule out interference.

By the way, "P2P" doesn't really mean anything in this context. People use it to say that you're connected to another player, but the network architecture is still Host/Server <-> Client. If the network architecture were P2P there would be no distinction, everyone would be a "peer". Warframe has that as well, iirc, but only for voice chat. The game itself always has a host.

14 hours ago, Whibbs said:

Went into my gateway's settings and found that P2P is not turned on, soooo I guess that's not an issue then? Not too sure.

Am I allowed to paste external URL here? My sibling loves to play Dota too but couldn't, because of this NAT thing. Check out the link 

Windows 10: How to Tell if Your ISP Uses Carrier Grade NAT (CG-NAT) (winbuzzer.com)

31 minutes ago, Whibbs said:

Made sure it was set to that this morning. Thought about turning it off (0?) might help too, but I don't know how risky that is and couldn't find much information online.

I wouldnt. What speed is your internet supposed to be and when you run speedtest are you getting close to that?

18 minutes ago, minininja77 said:

EDIT: also check your NAT settings for online gaming it should be open NAT (type 1) using moderate or strict will heavily impact connections

2 minutes ago, minininja77 said:

Well while it may not seem good it is good that its happening on more than one game as that means the issue is on your end, that can help narrow down the cause. Do you have any other PCs or gaming devices that you can play online with to see if you drop connection with them? A tv with some streaming could also help, as if you are not dropping connections on those it is most certainly the PC. That will let you narrow your trouble shooting to the laptop.

From what I've been able to gather, every device in my home has a hiccup where the internet shows as still being connected (Wi-Fi and ethernet), but anything requiring internet doesn't load for anywhere between 10-20 seconds, about every half hour to an hour. I've checked all ends of cables, tried different spots in the house to put my modem/router, doesn't seem to really make a difference.

I definitely feel like something is wrong with my internet, like, quite obviously so. But the tech's have been out, they've "sent signals to boost performance" (seems sketchy to me considering they refused to explain what all that entailed when I asked), no chewed cables, reset the modem multiple times, or anything else really out of the blue that they've been able to figure out. Simply put, the internet has never gone out, I just can't seem to stay connected to online services. There's only ever 2-4 devices connected at any one time, so I highly doubt I'm clogging anything up with the kind of package I have.

Literally the only that I can personally think of that might be... something... is that the cable ran from my modem to the outside-pole-thing, is connected to another one which goes into the neighbors house. But the tech that came and set it up to begin with is the one who connected those like that, so I honestly don't know. Seems silly of a thought, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Whibbs said:

I definitely have the same issue when playing World of Warcraft (retail), and that game doesn't matter if I'm playing with my SO or not, so I've noticed. Constant disconnections from the game, but the internet hadn't gone out.

Well while it may not seem good it is good that its happening on more than one game as that means the issue is on your end, that can help narrow down the cause. Do you have any other PCs or gaming devices that you can play online with to see if you drop connection with them? A tv with some streaming could also help, as if you are not dropping connections on those it is most certainly the PC. That will let you narrow your trouble shooting to the laptop.

EDIT: also check your NAT settings for online gaming it should be open NAT (type 1) using moderate or strict will heavily impact connections

2 hours ago, HappyFishxas said:

Are you sure your ISP didnt block P2P? Some ISP do that so you might want to check that out. At least mine is. But Warframe did warn me about me being a bad host by throwing me a notice in every login. 

Went into my gateway's settings and found that P2P is not turned on, soooo I guess that's not an issue then? Not too sure.

Oh and in case anyone knows, when doing port forwarding, do I need to do all the listed TCP/UDP ports for Warframe (Steam) or can I suffice with just, like, half of them? I can't figure out how to port forward them to both computers (not sure if that's even a thing tbh), so I figure if I do half to mine and half to my SO's, maybe that'd help? When having them all forwarded to my PC, she gets a 'Strict NAT type' error.

2 hours ago, HappyFishxas said:

Are you sure your ISP didnt block P2P? Some ISP do that so you might want to check that out. At least mine is. But Warframe did warn me about me being a bad host by throwing me a notice in every login. 

Would that be something I'd call them to find out? I've never got a notice like that, and I did host a match last night without my SO and asked that if anyone experienced lag then to let me know, but they all said they were fine. I'm wondering if it only happens when my SO and I play together, but that feels really odd.

1 hour ago, minininja77 said:

are you 100% sure that you are set to use the integrated NVIDIA Quadro P5200 and not the UHD graphics? If the pc is for some reason using the UHD that is not enough to run WF which could lead to horrible performance causing host issues for sure. 

Yep, I quadruple checked and it's most definitely set to the integrated NVIDIA Quadro P5200. I never really seem to have performance issues, whether the settings are turned all the way up or down in-game.

1 hour ago, (PSN)deathwolfclaw666 said:

You can tell who the host is by the number next to there name (1 is host).

As for the issue besides more technical options you could try simple ones such as

Giving Wi-Fi a go since there could be a problem with the cable. 

Try other games to see if you get the same issue.

Try a different device to play the game.

Thankfully I did figure out how to tell if I'm hosting or not. Either having the FPS counter turned on (if it shows ping, then I'm not hosting) or if I drop a waypoint it'll be a 1 if I'm hosting. Can now tell if I'm hosting before I quite enter the match by whether someone joins the squad before the countdown ends or not as well. I had a few last night where I was hosting, but no issues according to the other players. Seems to be limited to when my SO is in my squad now, and that's a real bummer for me.

I did try Wi-Fi last night, but seeing as my SO wasn't there, I don't know if there was a difference or not. Seemingly, there was no difference at all since I sit right next to the modem anyways.

I definitely have the same issue when playing World of Warcraft (retail), and that game doesn't matter if I'm playing with my SO or not, so I've noticed. Constant disconnections from the game, but the internet hadn't gone out.

The only other devices I could test it on are another laptop that I know for a fact probably couldn't even download the game properly tbh lol. I suppose I could try PlayStation, but if I'm only having the 'bad host' issue when playing with my SO, then I won't be able to test it on there.

I really appreciate the replies everyone, every bit helps get me closer to a solution! :)

Archived