Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any other migraine folks having trouble with Void Storms?

So DE added Tenet melee to Void Storms, and I actually have a reason to farm them for now. Now, for background, I suffer from chronic migraines, and in my case the worst symptom is sensitivity to sound, though that varies. Now, despite being motivated to get a Tenet Exec, I unfortunately was surrounded by the SFX for the void storms. The frequencies used as well as the high complexity of the sound meant it hit just the right buttons to trigger all my symptoms at once. I wanted to know if anyone else with chronic migraines had a similar problem with these missions.

41 minutes ago, (PSN)Frostburn4096 said:

So DE added Tenet melee to Void Storms, and I actually have a reason to farm them for now. Now, for background, I suffer from chronic migraines, and in my case the worst symptom is sensitivity to sound, though that varies. Now, despite being motivated to get a Tenet Exec, I unfortunately was surrounded by the SFX for the void storms. The frequencies used as well as the high complexity of the sound meant it hit just the right buttons to trigger all my symptoms at once. I wanted to know if anyone else with chronic migraines had a similar problem with these missions.

Yeah they aren't great, but one thing I do is just turn the sound off in Warframe a lot. So much noise sometimes it isn't even enjoyable to the experience, it's just a cacophony of competing sounds that don't go well together assaulting your eardrums. 

As for the VFX they have been toned down a lot but they are still pretty bad for anyone with light sensitivity. 

I have raised this concern many times , with eidolons , with explosive particles (mirage is the bane of my eyes despite being a mistress of my heart), with railjack voidstorms. I am much more angry that even medium settings are too much , shouldn't medium be medium ? 

DE either doesn't care and too high on its own colors or is incapable of addressing it.

I just reduce my settings to a point where I can just barely make out outlines (cause some things just disappear if you make it too low and can impact gameplay)  ,

congrats DE your amazing particle effects are so amazing that us mere peasants do not dare gaze upon them in fear of going blind.

The sound fortunately I can adjust using my headphone slider , so it's more manageable.

I don't suffer from migraines, or epilepsy or anything like that (thankfully), but even I think the effects are a bit too much. I also don't appreciate how the void sinks force you to complete the mission uber fast no matter what, lest you have one spawn behind you and deplete your shields. even worse when running a squish frame like Banshee, as you can easily die from them.

I'd prefer it if void sinks were nerfed with reduced range and damage, and actually appeared randomly across a few rooms rather than converging on your warframe's position. just reducing the damage on them would be enough of a change for me personally, but others might welcome more.

i have headache and some mild migraines and the biggest issue i have with this game is flashing white screens when some void or corpus missions start and on sanctuary onslaught when changing missions, i would really love to have an option to turn off those white screens or at least turn them to black and dark grey to ease the eye. especially because most of the gaming i do is at night.

Just checked a few videos about this content, the visual effects are mildly irritating but nothing serious for me. (would not want to look at those for extended periods)

My eyes are very sensitive to direct sunlight, i had severe migraines when i was a kid and even got to hospital once for weeks because of that.

I have not found any potentially problematic sound effects so far.

I'm "lucky" in that I apparently get a weird variant of migraines where I get every symptom *except* the agonizing pain.  Lots of noise bothers me a lot though, and I *hate* the way the void explosions seem to cluster on top of me.  (I've actually hit a Voidstorm "Mission Fail" because the stupid things spawn and detonate so fast that they bypass Shield Gate and kill me outright, enough to burn through all my self revives.)

Personally, I hate Voidstorm missions.  They do trigger the migraine aura (or whatever it is) so there's a decent chance I'll spend the mission half blinded by that.  And there's a 100% chance I'll spend the entire mission being angry at the constant visual and audible chaos of the never-ending void explosions, dealing with high level Corrupted spawning in giant clusters, and all of the "everything else" that I currently don't enjoy about Railjack missions.

Since the Sister update launched, I've gotten enough holokeys to buy ONE weapon.  And I've given up getting any more until / unless the devs do something, because having to run up to six missions before getting a SINGLE set of keys is not my idea of fun.

Void storms no, at least not yet. But a couple ovtavia's have resulted in month long headaches for me. I can definitely sympathise with you. The only thing I've found that helps reduce the chance of it flaring up is to avoid headphones and even then it's no guarantee. Sometimes massaging my neck can help sooth my headaches just enough to tolerate sounds that would be aggravating my headache. 

I dont have migranes but it definitely strains my eyes  -  the entire new corpus ship tileset with its high contrast and the effects overload hurt my eyes even after 40 min of play.

I have most of the effects on low, since DE loves to go overkill without testing how it affects actual play in the long run and how it ruins visibility and gameplay or even causes headaches.

On 2021-08-04 at 5:57 AM, EmberStar said:

I'm "lucky" in that I apparently get a weird variant of migraines where I get every symptom *except* the agonizing pain.  Lots of noise bothers me a lot though, and I *hate* the way the void explosions seem to cluster on top of me.  (I've actually hit a Voidstorm "Mission Fail" because the stupid things spawn and detonate so fast that they bypass Shield Gate and kill me outright, enough to burn through all my self revives.)

Personally, I hate Voidstorm missions.  They do trigger the migraine aura (or whatever it is) so there's a decent chance I'll spend the mission half blinded by that.  And there's a 100% chance I'll spend the entire mission being angry at the constant visual and audible chaos of the never-ending void explosions, dealing with high level Corrupted spawning in giant clusters, and all of the "everything else" that I currently don't enjoy about Railjack missions.

Since the Sister update launched, I've gotten enough holokeys to buy ONE weapon.  And I've given up getting any more until / unless the devs do something, because having to run up to six missions before getting a SINGLE set of keys is not my idea of fun.

Oh hey same variant! Anyway you just expressed my experience a lot more eloquently than I could have. I luckily don't have to deal with the aura, but my friend has explained how awful it is.

DE has unfortunately achieved a feat in games...warframe is the game with the most visual pollution on the market. I think DE should urgently review these effects....it puts players away both new and old. I've been playing warframe for 4 years and I avoid making these void storms as much as possible. Besides impairing our eyesight it actually makes the game very ugly on railjack. These issues appeared in the sevagoth update and have been alleviated but still insufficient.

If DE really cares about players' health this should be priority #1.

On 2021-08-03 at 7:29 PM, ReddyDisco said:

Thought void storm effects were reduced quite a lot, you should've seen pre-fix void storm electric boogalo with effect vomit as far as the eye can see and that's not including player weapon effects 

I cant tell any difference since this "Change" took effect.

On 2021-08-03 at 11:29 AM, ReddyDisco said:

Thought void storm effects were reduced quite a lot, you should've seen pre-fix void storm electric boogalo with effect vomit as far as the eye can see and that's not including player weapon effects 

Oh, they did tone it down.  Brozime has a video showing the initial state - He was doing a Volatile mission and kept missing that the Corpus Engineers had gotten to a reset console, because between the particle effects and the "void flare" overlay on the screen it was literally impossible to see ANYTHING half the time.

The current version is "better."  It's still incredibly awful, and that's aside from such enjoyable game mechanics as getting bamf'ed to death when three Void Sink explosions go off right on top of me and auto-kill me.  (I keep bringing it up because it happens at least once per mission and it's SO much fun.  >.<  )

2 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Oh, they did tone it down.  Brozime has a video showing the initial state - He was doing a Volatile mission and kept missing that the Corpus Engineers had gotten to a reset console, because between the particle effects and the "void flare" overlay on the screen it was literally impossible to see ANYTHING half the time.

The current version is "better."  It's still incredibly awful, and that's aside from such enjoyable game mechanics as getting bamf'ed to death when three Void Sink explosions go off right on top of me and auto-kill me.  (I keep bringing it up because it happens at least once per mission and it's SO much fun.  >.<  )

Yeah, it was so, so, so much worse. Agreed its still very bad though. 

Archived