Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash's Blade Storm Freezes Enemies & Becomes Unusable

MarikBentusi

TYPE: In-Game
DESCRIPTION: see below
VISUAL: see below
REPRODUCTION: see below
EXPECTED RESULT: Enemies afflicted by Bladestorm should either not teleport or, when teleported, finish their Blade Storm animation properly.
OBSERVED RESULT: see below
REPRODUCTION RATE: unreliable due to varying level design, character speed and the game's choices for teleporting ahead enemies you've left in the dust. The trick *seems* to be that you need to build enough distance to Blade Storm afflicted enemies while quickly moving forwards however.

ZzODX59.jpeg

Bug Description:

If you mark an enemy for Bladestorm, activate it and move at high speeds through the level, enemies still locked in combat with Blade Storm may be teleported ahead of the player to fill the level. It seems that if an enemy is teleported this way, the animation breaks and the enemy is frozen in place. Blade Storm will indefinitely stay active on this enemy without actually proceeding with its animation or damage dealing. The enemy cannot be interacted with (such as shot at) with the exception of using Teleport on it (see below). Because Blade Storm is still active, it also cannot be recast. In the picture above, the enemy with the red aura is stuck in this exact pose while the rest of the game moves ahead.

Basically the problem is that this makes Blade Storm unusable once an afflicted enemy has bugged out.

This state seems "curable" in the following ways:

• moving far enough away from the enemy (maybe it gets teleported again?)
  • using Teleport (Ash's 3rd ability) on the enemy if this Teleport action moves you far away to a different Blade Storm victim (maybe it gets teleported again?). It is unclear whether this faraway Blade Storm victim was bugged or unbugged before I got to it, but landing there right after using Teleport seems to have killed the bugged enemy in the screenshot without me being near it (or at least it seems to have died because the Blade Storm counter in the bottom right corner of the screen ticked down to 0).

This bug can lead to other bugs such as trying to Teleport to a bugged-out target leading to you hovering in the air with the cinematic depth of field blur you get while watching the animations that play if you join the Blade Storm fray with Teleport. In this state, you cannot jump, but you can gain altitude by walking up stairs (you don't lose altitude if you walk down stairs) and lose altitude by ground-slamming with a melee weapon. During this time, the arm daggers Ash and his clones sprout when attacking in Blade Storm, are extended.

p6qIDXx.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Update: I had an encounter with the bug that allowed me to fix it myself that may yield some insight into how it works. I was playing solo.

1. I had cast Bladestorm on a group of enemies, rushed past them, and found myself with a "stuck" state of Bladestorm: The countdown of remaining stabs would stay at "3" (=a single, fully marked enemy remains) and no amount of waiting or progressing with the mission would make Bladestorm progress and tick down the amount of remaining stabs as it usually would.

2. I backtracked through the level until I found a lone enemy (in a Corpus "broom closet" dead end) that was still marked. Here's my character looking at the location of the enemy:

gXXztEc.jpg

3. Upon moving near the enemy, the Bladestorm animation progressed and properly counted down, un-stucking the ability and letting me use it again.

So it seems to me like the game culls/suspends enemies that are far enough away, and if they're suspended while Bladestorm is cast on them, Bladestorm can never finish, which effectively blocks the ability until you find a way to "un-suspend" that enemy?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another example from a Steel Path Corpus Rescue mission on the new tileset. I had started a big Bladestorm before stepping into the Rescue jail and could tell by the Slash proc damage numbers that the Bladestorm victims had been teleported ahead of me just outside the jail tile (when the hostage gets rescued there's usually a new door that opens up with enemies streaming in, I assume enemies were being teleported ahead for that purpose).

As I progressed outside the jail tile I encountered this enemy. The red aura indicates that it was a victim marked for Bladestorm, the pose suggests that the enemy was in the middle of being stabbed by one of the Blade Storm clones, and as you can see by the UI in the bottom right corner, my Bladestorm still had one stab to execute before it runs out. Like with the cases before, Bladestorm is "stuck", i.e. the number does not decrease with time, no stabs appear to be executing (the enemy remains frozen in place like you see it here), and I can't activate the ability (which is normal for a Bladestorm that is still active). 

This state didn't change as I completed the rest of the level (which wasn't too much more to run through, maybe 3 tiles)

Wc6t8bq.jpeg

op9e8Bb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

k5bUpnH.jpeg

I've only encountered this once, but there also seems to be an adjacent bug where the Blade Storm counter reaches 0 and becomes unusable as described above, with an Ash clone just sticking around without an enemy to attack. The Ash clone was playing the default idle animation (of my equipped animation set) when you don't have a weapon out, tho you could see that the arm blades that Ash gains during Blade Storm were extended.

The only way I could dispel the clone was by dying.

I had this happen during a Daily Steel Path mission, an MDef in the Orokin Derelict tileset.

u1jKxEw.jpeg

u1jKxEw.jpeg

Similar thing happened again during a Steel Path Daily on the Orokin Derelict tileset (Crossfire Exterminate). This time it didn't freeze Bladestorm and the clone appeared after a Bladestorm had successfully concluded, and the clone could be dispelled by initiating & completing a new Bladestorm (the clone disappeared when the Bladestorm finished).

While this bug didn't freeze Bladestorm, I think it may be related to that bug, so I figured I'd add it to the report.

Weird sidenote: Throughout this mission I was unable to bring up the Esc menu. This functionality was restored once I completed the mission and was back on my Orbiter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had the version of the bug before where Bladestorm was "already in use" but didn't even have a counter associated with it anymore, the ability icon was just greyed out. I fixed it by backtracking through the level, where I found one enemy frozen in place during a Bladestorm animation (but no red Bladestorm aura, which is the effect marked targets receive), and one enemy with a red aura but it wasn't frozen in place. After killing both manually (the Bladestorm animation wasn't proceeding, so they wouldn't have died by me waiting) the ability was unlocked again.

Archived