Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New warframe concept

FlamingCore

I noticed DE started to take inspirations from other games to include into warframe.
Like for new war: Tablet simulator, star wars, call of duty etc.

They even took content from unreal tournament... So why not take an extra step?
What about looking at one of the older content that DE used with their original Evolution engine?
We might have nekros, we might have sevagoth but what about a frame that is heavily influenced by The Darkness 2.
In my opinion there is no other warframe DE can introduce us (except for animal transformers) that could pick more interest than Jackie Estecado.
Discuss!
(heck, it might even trigger a demand for The Darkness 3)

The Darkness II on Steam

I mean, isn't Nidus based on The Darkness already?

D6jVh_LU8AAjhbR?format=jpg&name=medium

Spikes, tendrils, monster flesh-eating minions, appearance changes and looks more armored as the infection (Darkness) grows? It's all there.

His Prime look further hints towards that being the intention.

np.png

5 minutes ago, FlamingCore said:

There is resemblence, but no.
That's just infestation on steroids made into a warframe.

There is no "Darkness" in Warframe. The closest analogue would be the infestation due to its parasitic and matter-assimilation features. Given that limitation, I say Nidus is a rather accurate translation of Jackie. I can't see a new "Darkness" frame not feeling somewhat redundant considering Nidus's abilities are accurate representations of The Darkness already.

More so considering the design of Nidus Prime. Just take a look at his maggots:

3IEPLMhzSSwVP5HM80TTbDysIk6q6GZRWS5jDoT-

2 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

There is no "Darkness" in Warframe. The closest analogue would be the infestation due its parasitic and matter-assimilation features. Given that limitation, I say Nidus is a rather accurate translation of Jackie. 

Oh really?
Then explain the man in the wall and sevagoth's quest.
Rell...
Void magic: BOOM a new creature.
You dont even have to go through The dakrness lore for that...

9 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

There is no "Darkness" in Warframe. The closest analogue would be the infestation due to its parasitic and matter-assimilation features. Given that limitation, I say Nidus is a rather accurate translation of Jackie. I can't see a new "Darkness" frame not feeling somewhat redundant considering Nidus's abilities are accurate representations of The Darkness already.

More so considering the design of Nidus Prime. Just take a look at his maggots:

3IEPLMhzSSwVP5HM80TTbDysIk6q6GZRWS5jDoT-

maggot

MAGGOT

R2cxqSu.png

21 minutes ago, FlamingCore said:

Oh really?
Then explain the man in the wall and sevagoth's quest.
Rell...
Void magic: BOOM a new creature.
You dont even have to go through The dakrness lore for that...

Sevagoth's quest is a simple cookie-cutter run of the mill story about a ghost that can't move on due to pending business. Same for Rell.

And even if a new magical Void creature is used to explain it, it will be hard not to feel redundant when Nidus already has abilities that are visually very similar to what The Darkness Does.

- His mutation stacks (Power) increase as he infects (Consumes) more victims with this abilities. Same as The Darkness.

- His appearance changes and becomes more and more armored/monstrous as more victims are consumed (Represented by mutation stack levels).

- Able to summon spikes from the ground to impale enemies (Virulence).

- Able to summon tendrils to trap, capture and constraint enemies (Larva).

- Able to use control victims as meat shields with his tendrils (Parasitic Link) 

- Able to release "The Darkness", which manifests as a spawning ground for his meat-eating demons/maggots (Ravenous). These consume enemies to heal him.

Arguing Nidus is not analogous to The Darkness because his powers come from the infestation rather than demons is like arguing Omni-man and Homelander are not analogues to Superman because they are not from Krypton.

4 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

- His mutation stacks (Power) increase as he infects (Consumes) more victims with this abilities. Same as The Darkness.

- His appearance changes and becomes more and more armored as more victims are consumed (Represented by mutation stack levels).

- Able to summon spikes from the ground to impale enemies (Virulence).

- Able to summon tendrils to trap, capture and constraint enemies (Larva).

- Able to use control victims as meat shields with his tendrils (Parasitic Link) 

- Able to release "The Darkness", which manifests as a spawning ground for his meat-eating demons/maggots (Ravenous). These consume enemies to heal him.

Arguing Nidus is not analogous to The Darkness is like arguing Omi-man and Homelander are not analogues to Superman.

- at the same time he loses the power when he's killed or loses a stack unlike the darkness

- Like every infestation EVER, diseases and bilogical tissues become stronger the more they grow in numbers, big deal.

- Able to summon spikes from the ground to impale enemies (Virulence),  how is that relevant? this was never a thing in the darkness games. You had 2 heads to control that NEVER disappeared unless you were close to the light.

- Now you're just reading the abillities from Nidus... it's like you're not even trying. The virulent takes enemies from a sphere of a certain range. with the darkness you have only hold 1  enemy at a time and then do cool stuff with it. the tendrils are a repeated pattern, they're there and then they're not. absolutely  0 control.

- Able to use control victims as meat shields with his tendrils (Parasitic Link) > since when the darkness could control people? he crushed them into weapons...

- Able to release "The Darkness", which manifests as a spawning ground for his meat-eating demons/maggots (Ravenous). // difference is that the darkness always appears without a needed mass. like i said before, these are just living tumors that multiply into an incoherent shape. Also these maggots are not unique in the slighest, they're just a recycle of the boord mother.

Arguing Nidus is not analogous to The Darkness is like arguing Omi-man and Homelander are not analogues to Superman. >> I said there might be some similarities, but the darkness is totally different.

25 minutes ago, FlamingCore said:

- at the same time he loses the power when he's killed or loses a stack unlike the darkness

Yeah, a gameplay mechanic/concession so you're not literally unkillable.

- Like every infestation EVER, diseases and bilogical tissues become stronger the more they grow in numbers, big deal.

It is a rather huge deal considering that's the core function that governs how these characters grow stronger.

- Able to summon spikes from the ground to impale enemies (Virulence),  how is that relevant? this was never a thing in the darkness games. 

So you're arguing Nidus is not analogous to The Darkness while admitting you're only going by the extremely limited portrayal of the games even though there's 20+ years of comic book history to go by?

334651-194430-the-darkness.jpg

You had 2 heads to control that NEVER disappeared unless you were close to the light.

If Mirage's Eclipse doesn't tell you why such a concept would not work well in WF then nothing will.

- Now you're just reading the abillities from Nidus... it's like you're not even trying. The virulent takes enemies from a sphere of a certain range. with the darkness you have only hold 1  enemy at a time and then do cool stuff with it. the tendrils are a repeated pattern, they're there and then they're not. absolutely  0 control.

Again: You keep showing you have not read a single The Darkness comic book in your entire life if that's what you're going by.

- Able to use control victims as meat shields with his tendrils (Parasitic Link) > since when the darkness could control people? he crushed them into weapons...

The Darkness can control people. It can control them as zombies, and also to force them to engage in sexual intercourse so it can be passed on to a new host. You'd knew this if your knowledge of The Darkness was not limited to a game.

difference is that the darkness always appears without a needed mass. like i said before, these are just living tumors that multiply into an incoherent shape. Also these maggots are not unique in the slighest, they're just a recycle of the boord mother.

Gameplay concessions. Warframes don't talk and it's a fast-paced, 3rd person game. Even if maggots had 10 different body types you'd rarely notice or care.

Arguing Nidus is not analogous to The Darkness is like arguing Omi-man and Homelander are not analogues to Superman. >> I said there might be some similarities, but the darkness is totally different.

Your argument is pretty much "It doesn't matter if 80% of it fits the bill, the 20% that doesn't fit makes them totally incomparable". Again, might as well say Omni-man and Homelander are not analogous to Superman because they are not from Krypton.

I'm done here. I'm not going to continue an argument about what The Darkness can do and how with someone who has shown their knowledge of the character is limited to the games based on said character rather than the source comic book material. Please feel free to have the last word if you feel like it. 

2 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

So you're arguing Nidus is not analogous to The Darkness while admitting you're only going by the extremely limited portrayal of the games even though there's 20+ years of comic book history to go by?

If you ever read my original post, I talked about the darkness like how it was presented in  The darkness 2. The mechanics you talk about and the mechanics I look for are completely different. Even though you persist on your own agenda.

if Mirage's Eclipse doesn't tell you why such a concept would not work well in WF then nothing will.

I never said our warframe will do that though, i stated that this is how the entity work in the game. I agree light and shadow play in warframe is redundant, but that wasnt what  i was going for. 

Again: You keep showing you have not read a single The Darkness comic book in your entire life if that's what you're going by.

Again, i was not going by the comics, but by the game itself.

The Darkness can control people. It can control them as zombies, and also to force them to engage in sexual intercourse so it can be passed on to a new host. You'd knew this if your knowledge of The Darkness was not limited to a game.

Comic book lore outside of the darkness 1 and 2 are owned by Top cow :) 
#CopyRight

Gameplay concessions. Warframes don't talk and it's a fast-paced, 3rd person game. Even if maggots had 10 different body types you'd rarely notice or care.

LOL, have you forgotten Harrow and Excal umbra?
Besides, with void lore ghost magic, you can definitely have a co-owned warframe. 
Like how you have the helminth in your orbiter than can talk with you.
You can have a hybrid with conciousness.

You seem to REALLY love nidus, but you ignored everything that was presented in nidus, and in the games of the darkness.
I don't see why you dont want a new warframe added, tbh focusing on the minor details that dont make the character as a whole is really something.
There are TONS of other abillities the darkness has over nidus.

Nidus's mind control really makes them immobile (looking abillity-wise)
nidus's ground breaking tentacles is just that. infestations that grow out of him then die. 
I agree with the part that feeding off other entities make the frame stronger, but inraos can do that too.

your CC tendril that gathers everyone to one place has no control of whatsoever  and is limited with different functionality.
The heads of the darkness are different in the game as they are used as melee weapons.

Evolving after X stacks is similar too, but we're at a point where the darkness was already established.
Maybe we can feed our own darkness over time to make it stronger at a cap outside of missions to satisfy you.

and lastly his 4, using his stacks to create a limited time area.
Yeah... nope.

would be pretty cool IMO. never played the games or read the comics or anything but I like the overall edgy vibe. I imagine maybe Lavos deluxe skin would be a great opportunity for a syandana with the two massive "snake heads" on his back like in the game, thoguh it probably wouldn't be as good in 3rd person. 

they let us have UT skins for a few guns, no reason I can't see them adding a Darkness-related item in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-08-04 at 12:57 PM, FlamingCore said:

Comic book lore outside of the darkness 1 and 2 are owned by Top cow :) 
#CopyRight

Yes. Top Cow also produce the Warframe comics.  So drawing from The Darkness comics for a particular frame's design and abilities isn't exactly unprecedented.

That said, a more direct frame for The Darkness, something heavily void-corrupted/possessed, would be a decent idea imo.  Though maybe rather than the demon arms always being there they can be an exalted weapon.

Could even pair the release of it alongside a frame made using Sentient technology for The Angelus.

Archived