Jump to content

Am I the only one who hates the Radiation Proc?


Recommended Posts

After another case of insta-death, I'm curious as to other's opinions on this.

For Tenno, the Radiation Proc is almost useless. On normal units, the damage they deal to each other is minimal at best and for the most part they'll be dead long before they can even think about attacking their friends. On boss fights where it could be useful, the boss is either immune or the number of procs is limited, or there is a fixed damage cap, or there are no other units that can deal any damage...

Against the Tenno, particularly in late game, this proc is almost insta-death. Most players I find in public matches are using either an AoE weapon like the Bramma or Acceltra, or a chaining beam weapon like the Kuva Nukor. The only reason I ever know I've been hit with a Radiation Proc is because I've suddenly died. No shield-gating (not sure on this, but never noticed it), no low health warning, just death.

Thankfully there aren't many units that can apply this proc. Mostly it seems to be Lichs/Sisters with particular abilities or weapons, and the occasional Radiation Hazard Sortie modifier.

I'm not suggesting that this needs to be changed, as I said, I'm just curious as to other peoples opinions on this particular proc.

Blessings Tenno!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radiation Status is great for when we apply it to Enemies. it's to sow chaos and dramatically reduce the amount of bullets coming towards you. it does that job well.
the Damage of it is a joke and always has been. but we don't need the Damage anyways.

 

and what do you mean you don't like receiving Radiation Status? i love when it STILL softlocks Liches and forces you to Abort Mission. that's my favorite.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless they happen to be using toxin, you're just not paying attention to being hit by allies. As soon as shieldgate is done, you'll just die. A low hp warning wouldn't matter since you're dead from full hp to zero as soon as the safety net is over.

If anything, a better indication that an ally has been hit by a radiation proc rather than the warning being they deleted your shields would be the only necessary change.

Until then, you can just use Warframes that regenerate shields often, or play a Warframe that removes or prevents status effects from occurring. This is one of the two instances where Oberon is actually useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, taiiat said:

Radiation Status is great for when we apply it to Enemies. it's to sow chaos and dramatically reduce the amount of bullets coming towards you. it does that job well.
 

This is why I like it and tend to use it. Missions where I'd normally use Revenant, create thralls and sow chaos to prevent a defense objective from being destroyed but get a "Reduced Warframe Energy" modifier is when I find it most beneficial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, (PSN)crashteddy03 said:

After another case of insta-death, I'm curious as to other's opinions on this.

For Tenno, the Radiation Proc is almost useless. On normal units, the damage they deal to each other is minimal at best and for the most part they'll be dead long before they can even think about attacking their friends. On boss fights where it could be useful, the boss is either immune or the number of procs is limited, or there is a fixed damage cap, or there are no other units that can deal any damage...

Against the Tenno, particularly in late game, this proc is almost insta-death. Most players I find in public matches are using either an AoE weapon like the Bramma or Acceltra, or a chaining beam weapon like the Kuva Nukor. The only reason I ever know I've been hit with a Radiation Proc is because I've suddenly died. No shield-gating (not sure on this, but never noticed it), no low health warning, just death.

Thankfully there aren't many units that can apply this proc. Mostly it seems to be Lichs/Sisters with particular abilities or weapons, and the occasional Radiation Hazard Sortie modifier.

I'm not suggesting that this needs to be changed, as I said, I'm just curious as to other peoples opinions on this particular proc.

Blessings Tenno!

1 only 1 thing if i can change that 1 god damn thing in warframe and it could be anything
ETERNAL RADIATION ON SORTIE
I would go trough sortie killing any1 who is unprepared no exceptions no excuses no mercy no brain

When i see radiation on sortie whatever mission it is i do it multiple times hunting down my squad mates
Go to hell with PVP in warframe this is all i need and want from it

But vs enemies i got it on mesas regulators and it works pretty fine on all factions (i also have fire on them)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is how radiation usually plays out for me: "Wow. I have rad proc.... Time to kill all my teammates. *BOOM BOOM BOOM* then randoms yelling "revive plz revive plz" while I teabag them"

In all seriousness I dislike the rad proc and usually run with the rad protection arcane or a frame with some kind of status immunity (subsume spellbind or nourish+augment for easy status immunity) then just stay out of peoples' way when doing missions.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only issue I see with rad procs is having team mates that mindlessly spam and refuse to acknowledge what they're causing after it's happened and/or refuse to revive after killing someone. But the procs are also rare enough as is and in situations like Sorties it's often better to solo those missions just to avoid those types of players. I don't see it so much an issue with the proc but an issue with players.

Also rad procs on enemies are far from useless. Getting heavy units distracted, even if no enemies get killed from it, is still useful. Plus rad procs remove "aura" type effects from enemies like Eximus and Ancient buffs. Seriously if anyone is ever struggling with Ancient Healers just take a high status radiation weapon and you'll no longer need to worry about them after the first hit.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I suspect rad procs, I bring Nezha with their safeguard augment.

 

Arcanes also work. Lot of options to avoid rad procs coming against you. Rad procs on enemies can be very effective for shutting down ancient healer auras and distracting large groups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a man who virtually uses nothing but Radiation for everything, I fail to see your point. Radiation is king. All others are weak. I will not hear counterarguments. No other proc protects me while I'm reloading as well as Radiation. With the flick of my wrist I have turned every enemy's gaze from me. There is no better proc at keeping you alive during those pesky long reloads.

Plus, nothing quite hits my sadism like deciding that concentrated radiation sickness is what I use to kill my enemies.

Also Radiation literally counters every enemy, regardless of its negatives to actual damage. Infestation? No more healy boi aura. Corpus? I remove you from the bonus shields of osprey. Grineer? Well there's no more stream of bullets heading my way.

Radiation is literally the safest choice of element because its proc just, flat out makes so many enemies ignore you.

As for it hitting me, well, I play solo 99.99% of the time so I just, well, ignore it because at worst it means I've blasted my cat or Helios out of existence.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why I love the Tenno community - I can post a question asking for opinions, get a diverse range of answers and inevitably learn a thing or two!

2 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

Unless they happen to be using toxin, you're just not paying attention to being hit by allies. As soon as shieldgate is done, you'll just die. A low hp warning wouldn't matter since you're dead from full hp to zero as soon as the safety net is over.

As I said, I'm not sure if shield gating is taking effect or not. More than likely my shields are already down due to being in a firefight in the first place, so there's minimal opportunity to react when the proc hits. I main Wukong for both durability and damage, so at least I have the protection of his passive. Under the right circumstance, those can disappear real quick. I'll definitely be trying Oberon soon.

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

Radiation Status is great for when we apply it to Enemies. it's to sow chaos and dramatically reduce the amount of bullets coming towards you.

I must try this out on the next Defense mission.

2 hours ago, Leqesai said:

This is how radiation usually plays out for me: "Wow. I have rad proc.... Time to kill all my teammates. *BOOM BOOM BOOM* then randoms yelling "revive plz revive plz" while I teabag them"

So it was you!! 😁 I lol'd reading this.

1 hour ago, trst said:

Only issue I see with rad procs is having team mates that mindlessly spam and refuse to acknowledge what they're causing after it's happened and/or refuse to revive after killing someone.

Yep, had this happen a few times...

1 hour ago, trst said:

Plus rad procs remove "aura" type effects from enemies like Eximus and Ancient buffs.

See, I've learned something. I must try this out on my next infested mission.

1 hour ago, (PSN)goonie4good said:

I don’t mind it, brings back memories of the self damage days when I Zarr blast myself off the face of the planet.

I miss self-damage. Too many people mindlessly spamming AoE weapons cause Prime Sure Footed negates any blowback. Oh the number of times I killed myself because someone stepped in front of my shot...

1 hour ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

run rad sorties solo. problem solved.

I do. Same with Spy Sortie missions.

1 hour ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Rad procs are why I almost exclusively hunt liches/sisters with a Safeguard Nezha.

I've been using Nezha more recently. I really must invest in that augment.

1 hour ago, CaptainMinty said:

Plus, nothing quite hits my sadism like deciding that concentrated radiation sickness is what I use to kill my enemies.

 

1 hour ago, CaptainMinty said:

at worst it means I've blasted my cat or Helios out of existence.

I couldn't help but laugh at these comments. Poor kavat!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, trst said:

Plus rad procs remove "aura" type effects from enemies like Eximus and Ancient buffs. Seriously if anyone is ever struggling with Ancient Healers just take a high status radiation weapon and you'll no longer need to worry about them after the first hit.

This is fascinating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, (PSN)crashteddy03 said:

See, I've learned something. I must try this out on my next infested mission.

eek, i totally forgot to mention that. yeah, since Radiation Status changes the 'team' that the affected Enemy is on, it's an instant hard counter to any sort of shared buff/debuff effects. anything at all that they'd share, no longer works. that would even include say, Arbitration Drones at the most extreme, because now they're not on the same Team as each other!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reason #58 for why the Kuva Nukor is the perfect weapon:

3 hours ago, trst said:

Plus rad procs remove "aura" type effects from enemies like Eximus and Ancient buffs. Seriously if anyone is ever struggling with Ancient Healers just take a high status radiation weapon and you'll no longer need to worry about them after the first hit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up playing Doom, so grabbing my Loki and inflicting Irradiating Disarm on a room of enemies is funny as hell to me. 

I could easily sit in a corner afterwards taking bets on which random enemy will come out winning my improv Infighting Tournament 😂😂

As for other Tenno, I usually take Revenant as Mesmer Skin come in clutch for this. Besides if anyone is being an air head I can walk into a rad cloud to proc myself and delete the room with his 4 😈😈

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radiation is fine. If anything needs attention It's the magnetic and gas combo an how it makes no freaking sense. Unlike Radiation/viral or corrosive/blast the combo has no synergy what so ever. Magnetic needs some kind of rework similar to viral and I wish they would make gas more than just aoe toxin but crap, like why are toxin and heat good against flesh but gas, the combo of the two, isn't? I see plenty of people run radiation. I don't see anybody running gas or magnetic and certainly not both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FrigidMesa said:

Radiation is fine. If anything needs attention It's the magnetic and gas combo an how it makes no freaking sense. Unlike Radiation/viral or corrosive/blast the combo has no synergy what so ever. Magnetic needs some kind of rework similar to viral and I wish they would make gas more than just aoe toxin but crap, like why are toxin and heat good against flesh but gas, the combo of the two, isn't? I see plenty of people run radiation. I don't see anybody running gas or magnetic and certainly not both.

It already was reworked to function exactly like Viral (same scaling and everything) but for shields which is relevant for all the enemies we keep getting with immunity to Toxic's shield bypass.

But why does magnetic need to combo with gas specifically? It already has a synergy with Toxic for having the bypass on weaker Corpus and the shield amp for stronger/Toxic immune ones. With Heat for still having armor reduction for armored Corpus units. Plus the innate damage synergy with Impact which most weapons already have.

Also how is Corrosive/Blast a combo? Blast status is useless, Cold or Heat alone would be better vs Grineer, and even on Deimos Heat has a bonus vs other Infested hp types and doesn't have Blast's penalty against Sinew.

And sure Gas is pretty bad off but due to being a stacking aoe it sort of has to be bad regarding raw damage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, trst said:

Also how is Corrosive/Blast a combo? Blast status is useless, Cold or Heat alone would be better vs Grineer, and even on Deimos Heat has a bonus vs other Infested hp types and doesn't have Blast's penalty against Sinew.

Blast deals more damage to Grineer machines and the corrosive effect lowers armor making the blast damage more effective. Both corrosive and blast deal bonus damage to fossilized infested and the blast status is decent crowd control for the infested hoards. Radiaton and viral work well together for similar reasons but gas and magnetic have no synergy what so ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, trst said:

And sure Gas is pretty bad off but due to being a stacking aoe it sort of has to be bad regarding raw damage.

The problem with gas is it is weaker than the sum of its parts. I lacks the armor negation and mild cc of heat and the shield bypassing power of toxin while being weaker at dealing damage then both of them. And to top it all off the aoe is tiny and both Corpus and Grineer health are risistant to it making it only useful against trash tier infested that die in one hit anyway. Sure you can technically group enemies to make the gas stack faster but it will still do less damage then raw heat or toxin because of enemy damage resistances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FrigidMesa said:

Blast deals more damage to Grineer machines

Which is almost exclusively found on Grineer Railjack Attack Craft, Crewships and Thumpers.

The only on-foot enemies that have Machinery as a health type are The Wolf of Saturn Six (who needs a beacon), non-attacking drones mostly found on PoE and Rollers/Latchers.

So yeah, more damage...to the two most frail and easy to faceroll enemies of the entire faction.

Oh yeah, it also does -25% damage to Ferrite Armor, which most Grineer have, which means that it actively works worse than just throwing Heat or Cold on.

Edited by Aldain
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...