Whats Hydroids purpose?

(PSN)SEA_TOASTER

Hello i have just returned to warframe after a large break and discovered that we have a new water themed frame while Hydroid just rots away. Why did DE make a new water style frame instead of fixing Hydroid? I left because I as a player felt DE didn't care about the player base and that hurt. I love Warframe it is one of my favorite games of all time but I constantly felt ignored by DE. But now I come back and we have a new frame with a used concept Hydroid was are water frame and instead of taking time to fixing him you just pulled out a new model and forgot about him. There are hundreds of rework and fixes for Hydroid on this site from wonderful and smart people who just want to see the game succeed and not once have they been listened to. I dont know why I even posted knowing this will just not be seen by anyone. But warframe for some reason one of my favorite games of all time even with my disappointment and anger towards DE it's just sad at this point. Maybe it was a waste putting so much money and time into the game all the prime access all the fashion all a waste. To be honest this wasn't much about Hydroid and more about how stupid I feel after this coming back only to see nothings really change it got one or two flashy updates but its still the same screaming in deaf ears for something to happen that never will.

Thank you for reading my depressing rant.

9 minutes ago, (PSN)SEA_TOASTER said:

Hello i have just returned to warframe after a large break and discovered that we have a new water themed frame while Hydroid just rots away. Why did DE make a new water style frame instead of fixing Hydroid?

Good news!  Hydroid is better than Yareli and is no longer the absolute bottom of the barrel.  He has supportive augments and scaling damage.  His scaling damage does feel awful to use, I will admit, but hey, so does everything about Yareli.  So there's that.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, (PSN)SEA_TOASTER said:

There are hundreds of rework and fixes for Hydroid on this site from wonderful and smart people who just want to see the game succeed and not once have they been listened to.

Just because people have good suggestions doesn’t mean they can be implemented. You are forgetting about that.

Besides, Hydroid isn’t terrible. Try the new water frame you talk about. At least Hydroid has loot manipulation going for it.

24 minutes ago, (PSN)SEA_TOASTER said:

To be honest this wasn't much about Hydroid and more about how stupid I feel after this coming back only to see nothings really change it got one or two flashy updates but its still the same screaming in deaf ears for something to happen that never will.

Many things get changed. Why is this one specific issue such a massive problem for you?

First of all, there's no rule that there can be only 1 frame for each theme. There's multiple fire, fae, and undead frames and no one complains about that.

As for "rotting away", Hydroid has never been popular outside of a very niche situations. There's nothing wrong with Hydroid that needs to be fixed, he's just not popular and it's been that way for years and has nothing to do with Yareli. People just don't enjoy playing him very much and I don't think anyone who does enjoy playing him actually wants him messed with at the risk of end up getting completely ruined like when they tried to "fix" Limbo and made him even more clunky and annoying to play than he was before.

Edited by Ceryk
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Ceryk said:

First of all, there's no rule that there can be only 1 frame for each theme. There's multiple fire, fae, and undead frames and no one complains about that.

As for "rotting away", Hydroid has never been popular outside of a very niche situations. There's nothing wrong with Hydroid that needs to be fixed, he's just not popular and it's been that way for years and has nothing to do with Yareli. People just don't enjoy playing him very much and I don't think anyone who does enjoy playing him actually wants him messed with at the risk of end up getting completely ruined like when they tried to "fix" Limbo and made him even more clunky and annoying to play than he was before.

I understand you dont agree with me but alot of Hydroid players want some changes made to him and it would not take much to make him steel path viable thats part of the reason im so upset he would only need 3 changes to be where he needs to. Tidal Surge would give Hydroid a percentage of his shields per enemy hit (20%?). Undertow gets a radius increase to 6m and Tentacle Swarm hold enemies still. Thats all he would need to be steel path viable. 

On 2021-08-04 at 6:16 PM, Ceryk said:

RIP limbo gone are the days i could empty a soma clip at an enemies face and unfreeze time to watch them fly off.  Not that i would do that in team play i was better than that because I didn't want to catch flack from the others but dang do i miss those days.

• Like 1

On 2021-08-04 at 10:21 PM, (PSN)SEA_TOASTER said:

To be honest this wasn't much about Hydroid and more about how stupid I feel after this coming back only to see nothings really change it got one or two flashy updates but its still the same screaming in deaf ears for something to happen that never will.

See, I get why you would feel bitter. On the other hand, while individual Warframes may not have been updated (because there are 46 of them now and DE can't update them all constantly), the game itself has been improved in a few ways. Depending on when you stopped playing, of course.

Working backwards from now, things that have improved are;

Modding for guns. The new kill-scaling Mods and the Steel Path Arcanes have really switched up how people mod their guns, in much the same way that Melee has a choice between the up-front damage of Heavy Attacks or the Combo Counter scaling mods with Light Attacks. Many builds even ditch the base Serration and Hornet Strike in favour of mods that provide less up-front damage and instead ramp up to become absolute beasts.

New enemies in the Sisters of Parvos, and that update bringing with it new weapons (both for Sisters and for Liches), and adding quite a few improvements for lessening the grind on that system, making the spawn of Sisters a voluntary thing, and finding your weapons a much more deliberate process.

A really solid new Warframe and a small Quest that has a banging sound-track with Call of the Tempestarii, adding a little more Lore and the ability to unlock Relics while in Railjack missions (which is a surprisingly good overall farming tactic... It's not as many Prime Parts as normal Relic modes, but it's Prime Parts, Railjack Parts, Intrinsics, you get Endo from parts you don't need, and a new Resource called Corrupted Holokeys which you can trade for weapons in Relays... It's a multi-purpose farm that gets you a lot of different resources, even if not as quick as dedicated farming for each.)

Railjack itself was updated heftily to make things way smoother and easier to access, a slew of improvements there that make absolutely everything about it better than it was at launch... And I would go further back, but I don't know how long you've been away.

Individual warframes are often left un-touched as long as they currently 'function'.

Whether that functionality is generally up to par with other frames, or even whether it's actually fun to play despite that functionality... that's debatable. And it seems to not really matter.

Zephyr was left un-updated for four years from her release, got a single update in 2018 and still only became actually competitive and applicable in her own way until the most recent update here in 2021 (which is simply that she got a fun new Passive, a Hover and her 4 can finally be cast stationary, with all the utility and power that people like me knew it would have if they allowed that).

Hydroid has a functional kit. Until it becomes actually detrimental, or somebody like Pablo has one of his epiphany ideas for him that makes him a monster, he'll sit there and be merely functional.

Other frames may do what he does better, and that really doesn't matter to DE.

Until then, I really would suggest that, if you love playing Warframe, don't lament how something hasn't been updated, that only leads to resentment and burn-out. Try and appreciate the things that have been updated and have changed. Spend some time with those systems, interacting with them and getting more out of the game over time.

You might be surprised that you manage to pass the time with the only reference to your anger being 'oh, I wish I could do this with Hydroid instead of this other warframe'.

Hey, who knows? You might find a really fantastic synergy with the Helminth system, and that might grant a new lease of life to the frame for you instead.

• Like 2

I like to use a melee hammer stance with built in slam attacks so I spawn a bunch of tentacles with his passive. This works well with hammers that have procs on slam attacks such as the Sibear. 

With the corrosive barrage augment he makes a fun melee frame. His high shields synergize well with melee blocking damage reduction, which applies to shields.

Hydroid with the Sibear is one of my favorite “stupid fun” builds.

Well there was a time he was a loot god with his 4 causing literal loot  explosions from enemies but then we changed it to a strict 1 reroll. while its nice to have a guaranteed reroll unlike any other loot frame his method of needing the enemy to be grabbed to happen really lowers his use. if the area painted constantly spawned tentacles on enemies in the area instead of being locked in place and needing to constantly be recast to be efficient then at least one of his abilities augments would be better. Now there lies the problem though, his augment is the ONLY appeal he has as a frame, and thats really bad. The same can be said for his 1 and 3, augments make the first strip armor and the second heals yourself and allies. A frame thats made even kinda relevant through augments isnt a functional frame. And if they ever do make him good Id LOVE to see loot explosions again, even if the explosion only rolls the resources once and then just rerolls everything else based on str. ie 1 resource reroll and with high str might reroll for energy ammo etc up to iirc 4 times?

Edited by rawr1254
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

See, I get why you would feel bitter. On the other hand, while individual Warframes may not have been updated (because there are 46 of them now and DE can't update them all constantly), the game itself has been improved in a few ways. Depending on when you stopped playing, of course.

Modding for guns. The new kill-scaling Mods and the Steel Path Arcanes have really switched up how people mod their guns, in much the same way that Melee has a choice between the up-front damage of Heavy Attacks or the Combo Counter scaling mods with Light Attacks. Many builds even ditch the base Serration and Hornet Strike in favour of mods that provide less up-front damage and instead ramp up to become absolute beasts.

New enemies in the Sisters of Parvos, and that update bringing with it new weapons (both for Sisters and for Liches), and adding quite a few improvements for lessening the grind on that system, making the spawn of Sisters a voluntary thing, and finding your weapons a much more deliberate process.

A really solid new Warframe and a small Quest that has a banging sound-track with Call of the Tempestarii, adding a little more Lore and the ability to unlock Relics while in Railjack missions (which is a surprisingly good overall farming tactic... It's not as many Prime Parts as normal Relic modes, but it's Prime Parts, Railjack Parts, Intrinsics, you get Endo from parts you don't need, and a new Resource called Corrupted Holokeys which you can trade for weapons in Relays... It's a multi-purpose farm that gets you a lot of different resources, even if not as quick as dedicated farming for each.)

Railjack itself was updated heftily to make things way smoother and easier to access, a slew of improvements there that make absolutely everything about it better than it was at launch... And I would go further back, but I don't know how long you've been away.

Individual warframes are often left un-touched as long as they currently 'function'.

Whether that functionality is generally up to par with other frames, or even whether it's actually fun to play despite that functionality... that's debatable. And it seems to not really matter.

Zephyr was left un-updated for four years from her release, got a single update in 2018 and still only became actually competitive and applicable in her own way until the most recent update here in 2021 (which is simply that she got a fun new Passive, a Hover and her 4 can finally be cast stationary, with all the utility and power that people like me knew it would have if they allowed that).

Hydroid has a functional kit. Until it becomes actually detrimental, or somebody like Pablo has one of his epiphany ideas for him that makes him a monster, he'll sit there and be merely functional.

Until then, I really would suggest that, if you love playing Warframe, don't lament how something hasn't been updated, that only leads to resentment and burn-out. Try and appreciate the things that have been updated and have changed. Spend some time with those systems, interacting with them and getting more out of the game over time.

You might be surprised that you manage to pass the time with the only reference to your anger being 'oh, I wish I could do this with Hydroid instead of this other warframe'.

Hey, who knows? You might find a really fantastic synergy with the Helminth system, and that might grant a new lease of life to the frame for you instead.

Thank you

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Bravo! Best advice, good perspective, excellent summary. :clap:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...