Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can self stagger be removed from the sonicor?

ironkeroro

It didn't do self damage before, and now it can stagger the player because they were moving too fast. The self stagger plus close range projectile turns me off from using it as much as I did before or instead of other crowd damage weapons like the zarr, talons, or kuva bramma.

In more applicable criticism than "I just want more funny ragdolls" (the best part of the sonicor) the sonicor has good ammo economy, rate of fire, and mag size, with a tradeoff of lacking high end build potential because of its 0% status and 10% crit. This puts the weapon in a comfort zone of feeling good and easy to use but limited away from top level content and I think removing self stagger from it would make it fit better into its current niche.

I used to say the same, but after DE reduced the stagger on it, I've found it pretty easy to deal with.  As a sort of trainer weapon for launchers, it seems reasonable to give it the downside of self stagger to get people accustomed to the concept early on.

If anything, I think it would be better to give the projectiles a little more range.   Rewards caution, but carelessness gets slapped upside the head.

But even without that, I think it's one of the best very low MR ranged weapons.

Il y a 1 heure, ironkeroro a dit :

with a tradeoff of lacking high end build potential because of its 0% status and 10% crit.

The weapon stats show 0% status chance, but it's a bit of a lie.
The projectile have 0% status chance, but the explosiation have a unlisted 25% status chance.

But I agree still agree with you. The weapon don't really have high end potential and didn't have self-damage when it was a thing, so adding self-stagger is a bit weird and don't really fit the weapon.

22 hours ago, Godmode_Ash said:

All AOE weapon has self stagger, why do you want this particular weapon to be different?

If you feel Sonicor is underwhelming, maybe suggesting buff in other areas instead of removing self stagger?

Because there was a time when this wasn't the case.

Back when AoE did self-damage instead of stagger, there were a number of AoE weapons (such as sonicor) that did no self-damage at all.

DE then changed all self-damage to self-stagger, using the Justification that it would alleviate player complaints about accidental self-death.

However, when they did that, that added self-stagger to Sonicor -a weapon that didn't even have self-damage to convert in the first place. so in the case of the Sonicor, this was a pure nerf. we didn't gain anything and the justification DE used is a Lie in this example.

So I want the Lying Nerf reversed.

20 hours ago, Godmode_Ash said:

All AOE weapon has self stagger, why do you want this particular weapon to be different?

Because instead of destroying itself on impact, the Sonicor projectile bounces around. Sometimes it will ricochet back towards you, and carefully accounting for the environmental geometry every time you pull the trigger goes against the nature of a gun primarily used for teh funzies. 🙂

Similarly, on release the Cyanex did deal self-damage, but that was removed shortly after due to also having ricocheting projectiles -- the devs agreed with player complaints that it was too difficult to account for.

Yet neither of these weapons were made an exception when self-stagger replaced self-damage.

I have a vague notion that the devs might have baked self-stagger into the AoE code itself, so they wouldn't have to keep track of which weapons it applied to on an individual basis. If that's how it's done, making exceptions could be difficult -- but for projectiles which bounce I do think self-stagger isn't appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-08-04 at 4:35 PM, lukinu_u said:

The weapon stats show 0% status chance, but it's a bit of a lie.
The projectile have 0% status chance, but the explosiation have a unlisted 25% status chance.

nice to know. I remember building it for status before but didn't remember why when I saw the stats didn't list the separate projectile and aoe stats

Archived