Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Warframe ever support Proton on linux ?

MouadSaqui

So this is something I wanted to make a thread about for a long time now, I've been trying to switch to Linux permanently for almost 2 years now, and everytime I need to want to play warframe, I find myself having to switch back to the bloated mess that is windows, I find myself having to sacrifice 60gigs of my SSD just to play warframe, and the reason is I can't get warframe to work on Linux, This game is the only game on steam that refuses to launch using proton, The game's launcher is making it hard for anyone who want to play warframe on linux to run the game.

Now there is ways to get it running, but I don't really want to have to modify any of the game's files (I love my account, don't want to get banned), I think Its time for DE to consider at least a proper support for DXVK/Proton, I Love this game and I want to play it on my favorite OS that is now capable of running not just one game, my entire steam Library is working out of the box, including games that are way ahead in terms of graphics with Zero to little issues, I don't want to have to dual boot, or reinstall Windows just to play Warframe, In my opinion, this game made it to android, which is literally Linux based, There is no reason for it to not support Proton on steam.

I sometimes play via Steam and Proton on Linux. It works after a fashion when I change the settings to use Proton and Steam Experimental mode (I think that's what they call it - could be Beta). Performance and response times are somewhat degraded though, so I only use Linux for easier missions.

It would be great if Linux/Proton became a *supported* platform for Warframe - with performance improved. That's would make me consider purchasing the Steam Deck device.

9 минут назад, Lotus-123 сказал:

Performance and response times are somewhat degraded though, so I only use Linux for easier missions.

Maybe. To be fair, I don't know how well it runs in comparison to Windows since I've never played Warframe on Windows. I haven't used Windows in the last 5-6 years and I've been playing Warframe for 2.5 years

It'll probably not be officially supported, because the Linux ecosystem is quite fragmented and doesn't have a lot of market share, to boot.

But from what I heard and as mentioned here already, it seems to run quite well despite that.

Here are some older threads on it:

Spoiler

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I recall reading somewhere that the PC version of Warframe is heavily wired to the DirectX API, and since DirectX is not compatible with Linux, the only way for the game to work there would be to make it support multiple rendering APIs. If they didn't make that at this point, my guess is that the effort required to do that is either too big or not worth at all.

3 минуты назад, Lotus-123 сказал:

I think that the Proton project endeavors to handle the DirectX translation to OpenGL for Linux (while also handling other Windows API calls).

Nowdays it's translated to Vulkan

It works quite well out of the box with the current version on Proton non-experimental. Your frame rates might not be exactly as high as windows, but most have a similar experience to Windows. (You may need a few tweaks or two depending on your hardware.) Check www.protondb.com for running Windows games on Linux with Proton, plenty of tips and info. If it's a non-Steam game try Lutris.

1400+ hours  all on Proton... Well, yea, you still need custom Proton and fake controller and you still get crashes you'd probably not get on Windows, but... It works well enough to play and enjoy.

As for Linux being fragmented and all that...  if that Steam portable console takes off, and it looks like it will, there would be at least one distro very much worth supporting.

Archived