Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Lore] How Wrong Am I?

Jaawa

(I posted this on reddit but I also felt the need to post it here on the Warframe forum)

The "human" colonies were never a factor in the Gradivus Dilemma in my opinion. I say this because I think the balance of power is the prime imperative. The choice was between our power vs. Grineer/Corpus power:

A) Let the Grineer grow in power from acquiring the colonies, gain more power yourself from acquiring the sleeping Tenno, prevent the Corpus from gaining power from the sleeping Tenno and kill a lot of Corpus to further weaken them.

VS.

B) Prevent the Grineer from gaining power from acquiring the colonies, kill a lot of Grineer to weaken them further, lose power from losing the sleeping Tenno, let the Corpus gain power from acquiring the sleeping Tenno.

The Lotus couldn't calculate which choice would be better for our ultimate goal, so we could choose whatever we wanted for whatever reason. But essentially if the colonies were important in the grand scheme of things, the Lotus would have commanded us to save them.

Now, onto a hugely stretched explanation and lore-extravaganza:

----

The colonies might not matter to the Tenno or the Lotus that much, because they're near-irrelevant to our purpose and more interestingly; they're not human, but a collection of denizens of this sad post-human existence. According to the lore, fluff and speculation that people have put together at the wiki, there are probably no original humans left, every faction of "humanity" that exists, is a product of creation or experimentation by the Orokin. At least that's how I understand it. Of course this might not be right, I might be absurdly wrong about anything and everything, but I've constructed my own view on things:

Ages ago, before all these factions, the technocyte virus ravaged the world and killed almost everyone off and twisted the rest into the original infected, except for the original guy named Tenno.

No-one knows how much time passed and what exactly happened to what little remained of mankind, but the Orokin arrived to the desolate scene (they're either aliens or a collection of artificial intelligences left behind by the death of mankind), they gave rise to a new post-human mankind, which divided into all these factions. The exception being the Tenno guy, who was essentially cloned into a race of warframe-wearing technocyte-supersoldiers by the Orokin, to battle the infested I'd guess. Or perhaps to be a sort of peace-keeping corps on steroids (think Envoy Corps from Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels).

Thousands of years later, as the technocyte infestation spread into these new post-humans and the Orokin too, for some reason the Tenno didn't save the Orokin, but destroyed them. And this is why the Corpus call Tenno "the betrayers", because Corpus worshipped the Orokin as our technologically superior creator gods and we killed them. The records of the conflicts of this age are completely vague, there was a huge war and the Orokin were wiped out by us in the end. The collapse happened, whatever that means, perhaps the downfall of the Orokin, maybe they did have a good grip of the solar system. We went to sleep, perhaps the Orokin grew into a threat, perhaps the infestation took too much of a hold on them, and we had to cleanse them, wiping them all out. That would fit our sudden stasis, our purpose was met for now, there was no current system-wide threat.

I don't know where our sense of honor comes from, or our sense of maintaining balance in things. It is not absolute though, that much has also been said, there is nothing surprising about some Tenno being opportunistic mercenaries. I take that in in the sense that as long as there is no threat that meets our purpose, we have a true neutral freedom. I've always viewed the Tenno as a collection of synthetic life, say androids, inhabiting these warframe suits, created for only the purposes of warfare - a weapon of mass destruction, for whom a moral compass isn't a necessity. We killed our gods, there are no rules now, no guidelines, or maybe we just hit the reset button, introduced true balance. We now follow the Lotus since this entity woke us up and gave us a purpose once again. Or more accurately the Lotus understands what we truly are, why we exist, and we comply with "her" commands since that is what we are programmed for, "she" re-kindled our sense of purpose, alerting us to a current threat that endangers the future balance of the solar system.

You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight. (awesome if you got the reference, let me add:) Don't ask why I protect a post-human civilian colony or why I watch them fall. Wake up Tenno, god is dead, there is only the Lotus now, "she" is the only one who understands why we exist and why we must fight. We will do anything to fulfill our purpose, to keep the balance - all lesser causes, factions and entities matter none to us, if they are trivial to the future of the solar system it doesn't matter how we choose to act upon them, or if we choose to ignore them.

didnt read the whole post yet but i can already say that your B is wrong since we cannot lose power by losing something we never had to begin with

EDIT:

read the whole thing now and i see some flaws, for one thing Hayden Tenno prevented the infestation to take over the earth in Dark Sector. Also your argument about the orokin downfall is completely ignoring the fact they fell in their war against the sentients, war in which the tenno helped the orokin, at least for a while.

As for the corpus calling us the betrayers my guess would be related on how we went to cryosleep instead of continuing to fight.

And the colonies arent important for us tennos? That sure as hell aint what scott said in last livestream "Who do you think you are fighting for", "they look up at the tennos as heroes/saviors"(forgot exact wording for this one) while talking about the many civilians that would fall prey to the grineer destructive invasion (killing, pillaging, slaving, etc.)

Edited by MurasameFsey

read the whole thing now and i see some flaws, for one thing Hayden Tenno prevented the infestation to take over the earth in Dark Sector. Also your argument about the orokin downfall is completely ignoring the fact they fell in their war against the sentients, war in which the tenno helped the orokin, at least for a while.

From what I've read about Dark Sector the ending heavily implies that the virus spreads on earth even if Hayden succeeds in his mission.

And yeah it's unlikely that the sentients are the infested.

Thing is we don't know what the sentients are, maybe the recreated humanity and tenno were controlled by neural sentries and the ones that broke free, gained self awareness and started the old war were called sentients or maybe they were just aliens and the tenno sided with them. What is almost certain is that the orokin no longer had their military because the tenno betrayed them and their last hope was to release the infested, although they still lost and hid in the void.

Edited by CubedOobleck

didnt read the whole post yet but i can already say that your B is wrong since we cannot lose power by losing something we never had to begin with

EDIT:

As for the corpus calling us the betrayers my guess would be related on how we went to cryosleep instead of continuing to fight.

And the colonies arent important for us tennos? That sure as hell aint what scott said in last livestream "Who do you think you are fighting for", "they look up at the tennos as heroes/saviors"(forgot exact wording for this one) while talking about the many civilians that would fall prey to the grineer destructive invasion (killing, pillaging, slaving, etc.)

My wording was bad in B, but you know what I mean, Lotus knew we could save the sleeping Tenno, therefor it is potential power we could have lost.

Like CubedOobleck said, the technocyte infestation did take over the earth.

I didn't present an argument about the Orokin downfall, if I had, I wouldn't have used conjecture, plus we don't have any of the relevant facts about that. However, the sentients are something we have almost zero information on, and this leads me to believe they're rather irrelevant for any argumentative purposes.  The wiki says this: "It is said that J3-Golem was first created by the Orokin themselves as a weapon in an ancient war against "The Sentients" (the name sentients leads us to believe that they were some type of machine), it is possible that J3-Golem was created by the Orokin and then infected by the Technocyte Plague as we know (as of Dark Sector lore) the origins of the plague to be cold war Russia." It was a war, the Tenno helped as they were supposed to, but this tidbit leans more to the side of the Orokin being perhaps not-so-good-guys, I'm still thinking the Tenno killed them off after the war.

A bit of bad wording in the statements about the colonies, what I mostly meant to say, is that the colonies are of too little importance and therefor the Tenno don't really need to care about them. This is of course just my opinion and I've stated what I base it on. On the livestream Scott simply presented his own view just like I did, what Scott thinks about the colonies isn't automatically what the Tenno think. In the grand scheme of things, I see them as irrelevant.

Edited by Deldaran