Is Ballistic Battery the most unused ability in the game?

Hypernaut1

I cant think of a more useless and unused ability on a frame. Is there anyone that uses it? There are other abilities in this game that arent great, but i think i'll still mess around with them from time to time, if even for fun in lower levels content. BB, i rarely ever find a use for. Even when i do use it, for all the build up it takes to prime, it doesnt feel worth it. 

Edit: fixed title. Ballistic batter sounds like an extreme cooking ingredient

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I cant think of a more useless and unused ability on a frame. Is there anyone that uses it? There are other abilities in this game that arent great, but i think i'll still mess around with them from time to time, if even for fun at times in lower levels. BB, i rarely ever find a use for. Even when i do use it, for all the build up it takes to prime, it doesnt feel worth it. 

I think Ballistic Battery is certainly a contender for worst ability in the game, for sure. Having played and learned every frame in the game this is one of very few abilities I have not found at least SOME use for. Maybe i don't undertand the niche it fills, or something, but it seems totally useless to me.

At least Spectral Scream and Sandstorm can spread status. Ballistic Battery is a whole different level of useless.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Chroma's Spectral Scream

1 hour ago, DarkSkysz said:

Inaro's sand storm.

24 minutes ago, iHeuksal said:

Valkyr's Ripline

All three of these will see some use to do a person accidentally hitting the wrong key. Ballistic Battery requires you to hit the key twice to have any effect. Conclusion: Spectral Scream, Sand Storm, and Ripline all see about twice the usage of Ball Bat.

On 2021-08-08 at 5:34 PM, iHeuksal said:

Valkyr's Ripline is the worst since its implementation. Prove me wrong.

I use ripline. Far more useful than BB IMO. Not saying it's a great ability, but I use it. 

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 3

I admit it, I did have to think for a few moments about what the hell Ballistic Batter was. 

I'm gonna guess it's not the least used ability, just by virtue of being on one of the most used frames.   That means a lot of people are going to eff around with it.  Or misclick it, if nothing else.

Least used should be on a little used frame, especially one that's harder to get.  So probably on a frame that isn't primed yet.  Probably a 3 or 4 due to cost.  Probably something specialized, or hard to use or has conditions on its use.  Probably something that, if not bad per se, doesn't fit very well with the rest of the frame's more popular abilities.    Probably not a Helminth ability. 

Temporal Anchor, maybe?  But I'm gonna go with Meatball.

1 hour ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

FTFY because admit it, you completely forgot that Grendel had a 3.

Grendel's 3 is actually pretty decent. I wasn't too into it for a long time but a few months back I made a build specifically around Grendel's 3 and 4 and surprisingly the 3 is quite good. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iHeuksal said:

Why it is the worst, at first? It is a capable mobility ability. It is not the ability you will spam all the times and it is far from so strong advantage of Valkyr but it has its uses - especially when you starting to fall. At least it is not the same level with Ballistic Battery. Not all abilities are exist to kill stuffs.

-----------------------------------------------

And Ballistic Battery is surely one of the worst ability because all it can is kill stuff but it is not good at its only role. At least the passive of Volt causes electricity proc and does not requires to manually turn on and ready.

3 hours ago, DroopingPuppy said:

Why it is the worst, at first? It is a capable mobility ability.

I think most Valkyr players use builds with negative range, so Rip Line probably does seem pretty close to useless to them.  I grew to enjoy it, glaring flaws and all, only after I started playing more with a long range Paralysis build.

3 hours ago, DroopingPuppy said:

At least the passive of Volt causes electricity proc and does not requires to manually turn on and ready.

No, it doesn't. Volt's passive just adds bonus damage depending on how much you charge it up. Ballistic Battery is definitely way better, since it doesn't take as long to prime as Volt's passive, if you want the full charge.

11 hours ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

All three of these will see some use to do a person accidentally hitting the wrong key. Ballistic Battery requires you to hit the key twice to have any effect. Conclusion: Spectral Scream, Sand Storm, and Ripline all see about twice the usage of Ball Bat.

Even though that would indeed count as extra usage for those abilities, I would personally consider that just as an another negative to those abilities. If I accidentally activate the abilities, I need to press the key another time to deactivate them, apart from Ripline of course.

Ballistic Battery on the other hand could have some niche use if you accidentally use it. For example, you can just use it up if you use a alt fire of some heavy hitting gun to deal slight extra damage.

9 hours ago, DroopingPuppy said:
15 hours ago, iHeuksal said:

I don't know how the skill is working right now... but last time I played Valkyr (a few years ago) it was one of the best skills in the game... you could pull a Limbo off the map to disable his ultimate with that...

14 hours ago, Leqesai said:

Grendel's 3 is actually pretty decent. I wasn't too into it for a long time but a few months back I made a build specifically around Grendel's 3 and 4 and surprisingly the 3 is quite good. 

Eh, for me it feels like a worse version of the 1&1 "swallow & spit" combo.

Edited by Perfectly_Framed_Waifu
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, iHeuksal said:

The thing about that one is it's fine in theory, even fun, but it's sort of buggy and not really working in practice how it should work. Not a fan of how it can be difficult sometimes to control whether you grapple an enemy vs. grapple to the environment. I think the concept is alright, but the execution needs improvement, as it stands (in contrast to certain abilities that I feel need improvement at the conceptual stage itself).

I have tried resisting for hours now, but I can't take it any longer. The name of the thread is wrong. Mesa's ability is called Ballistic Battery.

Every time I see the name of this thread I start drooling! "Ballistic Batter" is the best way to make food delicious

Mtdg0KY.gif

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

Eh, for me it feels like a worse version of the 1&1 "swallow & spit" combo.

That's what I thought for a long time as well. The primary difference is the 1&1 evacuates the whole stomach while the 3 gives you flexibility with releasing single targets. This can be used to manage energy drain a bit and also has the benefit of a 5m base range AOE on hit. With a large range setup this can effectively be used to zone rooms. We're not talking endgame content but it has its niche.

52 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

That's what I thought for a long time as well. The primary difference is the 1&1 evacuates the whole stomach while the 3 gives you flexibility with releasing single targets. This can be used to manage energy drain a bit and also has the benefit of a 5m base range AOE on hit. With a large range setup this can effectively be used to zone rooms. We're not talking endgame content but it has its niche.

I might have to try that someday, then. For the moment, I'm running with the 3 replaced by Dispensary for the archgun ammo, while cosplaying as Fat Doomguy.

• Like 2

it doesn't seem any less useful than any of the various non scaling champion abilities, hydroid, frost, chroma, volt, ember and more have at least one ability that isn't very useful, some of them have augments that provide buffs to other players but really only volt uses that for a niche thing.

there are a ton of abilities that do non scaling damage without any other useful mechanical effects and they aren't better than mesa's number 1

Edited by AugustFestival