A Debate - What is Warframe? And where will it go?

Hello everyone. I wanted to see where everyone's stance on this situation is. What is Warframe?

It seems there are multiple different versions of Warframe perceived by the community and the developers. A lot of people see Warframe as the power fantasy horde shooter where you have fun and destroy everything in your path. These people usually don't respond well to the constant nerfs this game gets. Some people see Warframe as a more tactical shooter where things are supposed to be challenging so the nerfs are rightly implemented to make certain aspects of the game not as OP or exploitable. The devs think this way too. Even with The New War on the horizon, this debate is very relevant. As we saw in the demo, Warframe went back to its Dark Sector roots in a way with its gameplay. I think it's fair to say everyone loved seeing that.

Now here is where it gets tricky. That segment of The New War quest... is it just a segment and nothing more? Sure. It opens up a path for DE where they can start to do more with the brand of Warframe such as maybe standalone story focused games or new PvP (finally). But what about Warframe itself? Where does it go after this quest? When we finish this quest, are we just going to get a new weapon or frame or something to level up in Hydron or ESO and that's it? I'm sure there will be something more and we'll just have to see. But we also know DE hasn't had a great track record lately. 

What do you guys think Warframe will be after The New War? Back to Steel Path but with new weapons or frames? Or raids, pvp, focus rework, consistent frame reworks, melee devil trigger, tau system, QOL changes (such as dodge/sprint/aim walk animations or dedicated augment slots or maybe another helminth segment to customise frames even further) etc?

Let's talk about it.  

Bonus question: Do you think Tencent will actually do something to help this game achieve greatness once more? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, (PSN)DSparkGaming said:

Hello everyone. I wanted to see where everyone's stance on this situation is. What is Warframe?

It seems there are multiple different versions of Warframe perceived by the community and the developers. A lot of people see Warframe as the power fantasy horde shooter where you have fun and destroy everything in your path. These people usually don't respond well to the constant nerfs this game gets. Some people see Warframe as a more tactical shooter where things are supposed to be challenging so the nerfs are rightly implemented to make certain aspects of the game not as OP or exploitable. The devs think this way too. Even with The New War on the horizon, this debate is very relevant. As we saw in the demo, Warframe went back to its Dark Sector roots in a way with its gameplay. I think it's fair to say everyone loved seeing that.

Now here is where it gets tricky. That segment of The New War quest... is it just a segment and nothing more? Sure. It opens up a path for DE where they can start to do more with the brand of Warframe such as maybe standalone story focused games or new PvP (finally). But what about Warframe itself? Where does it go after this quest? When we finish this quest, are we just going to get a new weapon or frame or something to level up in Hydron or ESO and that's it? I'm sure there will be something more and we'll just have to see. But we also know DE hasn't had a great track record lately. 

What do you guys think Warframe will be after The New War? Back to Steel Path but with new weapons or frames? Or raids, pvp, focus rework, consistent frame reworks, melee devil trigger, tau system, QOL changes (such as dodge/sprint/aim walk animations or dedicated augment slots or maybe another helminth segment to customise frames even further) etc?

Let's talk about it.  

Bonus question: Do you think Tencent will actually do something to help this game achieve greatness once more? 

IT WILL GO INTO THE VOID!!!!!

493866981737b165b4d6bbb11eae69fa.gif

• Like 4

I would love to thoroughly answer your questions and debate this topic, but I also know that this thread will be closed for "devbashing" sooner than you can say "when's new content?"

To quickly summarize my answer to what Warframe will be after New War: It won't change a thing. It's just a scripted setpiece that's there because someone from design team played too much Ghost of Tsukishima and modern AAA FPS's. It won't be groundbreaking and will be quickly forgotten to go back to grind like it's business as usual. Yes, humanizing Grineer and Corpus and giving them some character by allowing us to play as them is a good thing, but it's a bit too late for that after we slaughter them in tens of thousands everyday.

Regarding Tencent. It will not unless they'll smell money in it. Right now DE's pretty successful with combing Warframe into a space-ninja gacha-game and is making fat bucks on all the newcomers, so any form of groundbreaking change won't happen unless community riots like it usually does. But even then they might just ignore all the pleas.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, (PSN)DSparkGaming said:

Don't know what you meant with achieving greatness again but they probably already helped with crossplay and mobile who knows.

Don't really have much to say on the 'where Warframe is heading' I would rather wait to see the update

• Like 3

There is no "one true answer" to this question, Warframe is its own thing, by having almost everything the devs could think of in it

Space ninjas, power fantasy, void demons, skateboards, space battles, fishing, hunting, fashion, Dojo building, pets, the modding system, open maps, underwater battles, sentient machinery capable of infecting organic lifeforms; & who knows what they will add in the future, like horses with Duviri & more of the Eldritch monstrosity of Wally & the Void in general

• Like 1

Honestly there's a lot to be excited for, especially if what Reb said is true about the gameplay demo being a tiny part of the quest.

Fleshing out the "baddies" and the in-game universe is an event everyone is looking forward to, most likely to clear up some loose ends, but also broaden the scope of the conflict itself, as the Sentients have quite a few remnants just sleeping on the Plains, or in Uranus' oceans

However, the Grineer/Corpus segments have me curious, will we get to play as those factions beyond the scope of the quest? The grineer has unique throwable grenades, the corpus dude had drones that all could be pointed towards things (something we don't have outside Venari or Hunter Command).

Another thing that had me questioning the direction of the cinematics, what will happen during the finale? Will the quest end the entire story we've been following, or is it all merely a chapter in a book? If we finally face off against the Sentients leaders, who do we fight next? 

Though, Tennocon spoiled us in terms of potential happpenings, all roads seem to lead to Ballas, and given that we're meant to obtain a copy or variation of his new weapon, it might be that a confrontation is definitely happening.

As far as outcome, I've been looking forward to Dual Nikana variations as Reb has hinted we might be able to obtain Teshin's Dual Dax Nikanas at some point, cus we all know the true endgame is looking cool.

Warframe is a scifi ARPG sandbox game that allows for a multitude of playstyles. I don't see TNW being some radical shift towards anything, it has potential for either game modes, nightwave expansion, or even quests via doing different playable characters but that's not across the entire game. All I care about is for the universe to continue expanding, TAU would be a highlight alongside any other new area with new species/new NPC's/etc to learn about. I couldn't care less about difficulty just whether its interesting. I'd also rather have remasters of Grineer tiles + Invasion 2.0 (that incorporates RJ), another questline similar to the added opening that incorporates lore for the middle chunk of the game leading into TSD, more bosses in the vein of remastered/reworked Jackal involving prompts to engage with them (tearing off pieces of armor/cutting vent pipes/etc), etc. All of which lines up with "interesting" and "world-building" over the much whined about difficulty.

PvP is meh, I've never cared about it in any game I've ever played and WF isn't an exception.

Edited by CrimsonXX
  • Like 1

How would any of the players know where it's going, when the developers have no idea?

Seems like 80% of the time they have no ideas, until a certain person gets some crazy mental image stuck in their head, without thinking it through, and you get something like fishing, railjack, necramechs. Yareli's k-drive.

Then like a kid rushes on to the next thing when the short attention span runs out, never to complete, fix or update the content.

After they sugar crash it's just throwing dirt at the wall or copy-pasting 2 more planet-grinds, because the fake metrics said players had spent many hours there... lol.

I think the idea, of the idea, to not be rigid, formulaic and stereotypical used to be a good aspiration. Keeping an open mind, explore creatively, great, I love that.

But as time went by and those early days of it could go anywhere came and went and it just landed on its own.

More grind, more copy-paste, months and years rolling off the calender that next big step never happening.

• Like 2

All I can predict is that warframe will continue to evolve.

What can be said with certainty is that the existing content won't disappear, so it will always be a grindy, crazy, space shooter with elements drawn from numerous games.   Any player who likes the hallway style gameplay, or the open worlds, or railjack will still have the same game to play.

However, from what we've seen, the new war brings with it a completely different style of gameplay.  That by itself is exciting, because we don't know what new things might evolve from it.   For example, a lot of players would love to see raids return.  A big stumbling block to that is designing a raid that is challenging given how supremely capable we are at demolishing any "hard" content de try and introduce.   A new style of gameplay may facilitate the development of raids as it would allow de to introduce a new set of rules.   All speculation of course.

We've also got the big unknown that is the duviri paradox and distant hints at a tau system.   Given the size and loyalty of the fan base, I think wf will be around for years to come.

It's a mess with good gameplay. They don't want to sort through that mess to refine it though. They'll just keep throwing "new" things at the wall until it sticks. I enjoy the game, but the lack of proper management or roadmaps is a confusing thing. The weapon divide still exists, quite a few old Warframes deserve attention, old bosses still require reworks, syndicates feel pointless without a boatload of content to burn through, the lack of legitimate interactive tutorials is questionable, Beasts & Robotics are in a precarious state right now, Trials aren't back yet, Melee 3.whatever hasn't been released yet, Specters just....exists, as does stealth, and I could mention hundreds of wasted opportunities to flesh out the lore, but I won't.

It's redundant to even waste my time on the forums, DE doesn't care about this platform. At this point, I could make a name for myself on Youtube to grab their attention way easier than with any half-decent/garbage concept I could come up with here. They'll keep pushing on ahead with whatever random idea until some big-shot with a decent following, or someone like Rahe, actually riles them up. God, I don't know if feedback ever really mattered, but I sure wish it did now. I don't think the New War will change much unfortunately, they'll still be running around like a decapitated chicken, tending to far too many unnecessary tasks at once.

Edited by (PSN)IndianChiefJeff
  • Like 3

1) No one considers Warframe a tactical shooter. No one who has played tactical shooters would ever say that. I don't know where you got that from. The players who want more challenge just want it to be a hardcore version of whatever Warframe currently is, in the vein of Dark Souls. But that's not what Warframe is. That's what those players want it to be. And I guarantee you the devs do not think of Warframe this way. I doubt they've even played tactical shooters.

2) I think DE sees Warframe as a big experiment for them to see if they can make features and systems. It's not about creating the best gameplay experience possible. It's about experimenting with new systems and features and keeping the game fresh by making new systems. It's not about giving players a set experience, but adding whatever they feel like making.

3) Tencent only cares about money. They will do absolutely nothing to improve the game, because they don't care about games, just about money.

As for me, I think Warframe is a mediocre mess of a third person sci-fi action loot-based horde shooter that had the potential at one point to be the one of the greatest games in the industry. DE lacked the discipline to create a complete product. They lacked the focus to structure Warframe's progression system and story in a way that created a clear system for players to progress through the game; they added features and systems at random and at different parts of the game, such that the game lacks structure. They lack the passion for what they originally created with the pre-Natah quest game to fully flesh-out the stories, systems, and characters they've created, which is why they've often forgotten about older characters and systems, and omit characters from stories where their backgrounds would allow them to shine (like Teshin being omitted from The Second Dream, Stalker from The War Within, etc.); their lack of passion led to them completely ignoring what they'd written about the Syndicates when creating their quests and events. They lack the care for their craft to improve the core gameplay elements like tilesets, missions, and animations, choosing at random which tilesets to remaster, not refining the early tileset missions, and refusing to improve their 9 year old animations.

Now, I believe they have passion and care for engaging with their community, and I believe they have passion and care for experimenting and doing what they really want to do with the game. I think they really started caring more about what they were making once players asked for more story (which is when Steve got more involved with the story with the introduction of the Quest system), but that was to the detriment of the older game, which was left behind, and the older story, which was largely ignored and often contradicted; it's to the point that a lot of the early game feels like a different game compared to the post-U14 game (when the Quest system was introduced).

In short, I think Warframe is a mediocre mess because in no area of the game is Warframe the best that it can possibly be (it's a jack of all trades, master of none type of game, offering a lot of stuff, but nothing it offers is exceptional imo), and it's full of so many half-baked and/or forgotten systems and contradictory story elements that it feels like a mess, albeit one that can sometimes be fun.

Other players have wildly different perspectives on what Warframe is, but this is what Warframe is to me.

6 hours ago, (PSN)DSparkGaming said:

Let's talk about it.  

All of the above. Warframe is both a power fantasy horde shooter and a slow tactical shooter. It's easy and it's hard. It's a lot of fun and it's incredibly boring. It's also a fishing, mining, and hunting game. It's also a space fighter game and a Sea of Thieves game. It's also a mecha game and a skateboarding game. It's also Monster Hunter and Shadow of Mordor. What is it? It's an inconsistent pile of disconnected systems that don't really work together. "What is Warframe" is a question people have been asking for years, and it's still one DE doesn't seem to have an answer to.

TNW could go either way. Maybe they'll revisit the idea of controlling other characters in the future and use that for story-telling, maybe it'll be another one of DE's one-off experiments quickly forgotten. We'll surely get some new weapons to level up in Hydron or ESO, and maybe a new frame if they can get it ready in time. Apparently one of the game's systems is changing somehow. Which will it be? Who knows? Will it change much? Not likely. After that more waiting around for Duviri I guess.

Bonus answer: I wouldn't be all that surprised if Tencent is what's pushing Warframe into mobile. Either way it's a really good thing for DE. People really underestimate just how massive the mobile market is, not just in the US but in China and abroad. There's big money, and with DE's flagging revenue over the past few years any new sources of income are going to help. China's got it's recent "video games are a disease" rhetoric which isn't likely to help though...

• Like 1

Nothing will change engine/mechanically or dev wise then what we have today. It’s a sandbox f2p P2P game by a small indie company where we grind, kill and farm sht it different game modes. That’s it, thats all it will ever be. If you have hopes and aspirations of Warframe being something beyond this than I’m sorry for you. sad get over it GIF

Edited by (XBOX)YoungGunn82
  • Like 2

it'll go wherever the devs want it to go. the only question is will you still be along for the ride?

as for direction after the New War, there's Duviri, and also a good narrative setup for a Corpus Civil War between Parvos Granum and Nef Anyo. we also still need Infested Liches and Railjack Proximas, but beyond those things, I have no idea what comes next. 

9 hours ago, TheArmchairThinker said:

Rank 5 Conclave reward, nowhere else

*rushes to feedback section

You know what. I may actually play Conclave seriously if that happens.

It seems there is also a split in the player base AND the Dev Team. You have DE Pablo who advocates power fantasy while you have DE Scott as the true balance guy who wants everything on the same playing field no matter what.

Edited by DrivaMain

4 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

You know what. I may actually play Conclave seriously if that happens.

It seems there is also a split in the player base AND the Dev Team. You have DE Pablo who advocates power fantasy while you have DE Scott as the true balance guy who wants everything on the same playing field no matter what.

Even De Steve sees this game more of a power fantasy game.

Edited by AlexMercer