Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Mod Suggestion: Stacking Damage Per Hit, Reset On New Target

DAttila

I just woke up, with this idea in my mind and I immediately had to get up and go on Warframe forums to post this.

This could make speed-based weapons, longswords and daggers viable.

Basically, the mechanic would work by taking a percentage of damage, and have that stack up on subsequent hits on the same target. If the chain of melee attacks is broken (i.e. the enemy stuns you, knocks you back, or you shoot them), it resets. If you hit a different target in melee, it also resets. For multi-target melee weapons it will keep track of those targets individually for the purpose of damage stacking.

If you think this mechanic is interesting or useful and believe the devs should see, please upvote this post and share it with your friends!
Thanks, and have a nice day. :)

i've never liked combo hits in fighting games, or any other game, for that matter. 

to balance the damage a high combo would do in Warframe, a single hit or a few hits, would be useless. 

Melee in Warframe also doesn't have the freedom to just keep attacking forever. assuming you're at atleast midlevel enemies, you will need to stop at some point, recharge shields, reposition, etc. because of how high risk Melee in Warframe is. 

if anything, Melee needs to be able to deal more damage, with less time investment. guns are all about TTK, and combos basically make TTK trivial. but Melee, is so high risk, that a combo system to stack damage, i don't think can really work. 

but don't get this confused with the combo animations that we are supposed to be getting, because i love the sound of those, the game would flow a lot better, and Melee already could have a tiny bit of this in those combos as is. so in a trio of Charge Attacks, the third attack could be a over head, full on, all the way power hit, while the first and second were more controlled, rather than a bloodlust level of sheer power. 

or however else they may end up being ;)

I believe this MOD would be interesting as an additional OPTION for those who do want to play with the fact that melee in Warframe is high risk. Instead of raising the damage of weapons without the player subjecting themselves to greater risk, this mod would reward them for taking greater risk for greater and greater damage.

Damage could scale off ALL melee attacks, whether they're light or not. Now, you have a reason to stack up some damage using your light attacks on an enemy before finishing them off quickly with a heavy attack that will receive that additional percentage of damage.

This is how I believe the current Warframe melee meta could benefit from a mod like this.

Edit: On your idea of 'combos'

This is not a spectacle fighting game. Enemies are numerous and have relatively low health pools, so this mod would mostly come into effect for quicker weapons that deal less damage, effectively reducing the time you're taking killing a regular opponent. As for heavies, it will reward you for maintaining your attacks, and it will posit you a new and interesting dilemma: Do you play safe and retreat, reseting your damage progression, or do you stay, press your luck and try to finish the opponent off?

This would also help differentiate the weapons more, as a mod like this on a slow weapon will behave completely differently than on a fast weapon.

The way I see it, it adds more variety no matter how you look at it to a place in Warframe that is getting increasingly more stale.

And, with the new heavy melee attack progression animations going in, you have even more reason for an option like this.

P.S.: There are significantly more useless mods in the game at the moment than this is. And every mod is optional, it adds variety if you opt for it. And I'm all for giving people additional choices, not taking them away.

Edited by DAttila

This actually scares me.

What happens if you happened to hit multiple enemies at once in a combo?

A good idea for a high risk, high reward in damage, though.

"For multi-target melee weapons it will keep track of those targets individually for the purpose of damage stacking."

Read the rest of it and you'll see :P

So if you have a weapon like the Galatine that can hit up to 5 enemies at a time, it will stack on all 5 of them, IF you can somehow persuade them to keep in place and you don't miss with your attacks.

However, due to the chaining nature of your attack animations, keeping all of them stacked up will be impossible, thereby letting the animations themselves balance it out.

"For multi-target melee weapons it will keep track of those targets individually for the purpose of damage stacking."

Read the rest of it and you'll see :P

I actually did, but the further text you given is what I'm thinking right now.

Down here.

So if you have a weapon like the Galatine that can hit up to 5 enemies at a time, it will stack on all 5 of them, IF you can somehow persuade them to keep in place and you don't miss with your attacks.

However, due to the chaining nature of your attack animations, keeping all of them stacked up will be impossible, thereby letting the animations themselves balance it out.

The animations developing right now is on Heavy combo moves, which I'm very sure sends most of the enemies flying away from their places.

I see.

I think it's a fun mechanic either way, Warframe could definitely use a bit more variation in how damage is dealt. :)

Still, you have my +1 for this. :D

Also, I was thinking instead of resetting the combo, why not have the combo system as an entirety in any enemies while abstaining melee hits quickly depletes the combo level.

Edited by Freelancer27

So instead of your opponent gaining stacks as you melee them, becoming more vulnerable, as it were, to your successive melee strikes, you are the one gaining the stacks of increased damage regardless of targets, so long as you keep them up by melee strikes?

I'm not a fan of that, to be honest.

Here's why: stacking vulnerability on successive melee attacks on individual enemies is more difficult to gain and maintain, significantly more so than if you were the one gaining stacks for just using your melee. Therefore, the latter would need to be balanced by having a cumulatively lower damage increment, which would detract from my original purpose of making faster, lighter weapons such as daggers and longswords feature more into the dynamic of melee combat in Warframe.

i still don't like it. i don't want Warframe to become Street Fighter / Tekken / etc. nop.

i don't think combo's like that belong in any game. we already have 'combo' animations coming for Melee weapons, that alone fills your bill without going into the deep end. 

these new animations can - and should - also include Utility / damage bonuses for strung together Melee attacks.