Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the complete loss of companion mods while riding Merulina intended?

Yareli already seems extremely lackluster with limited synergy on boring abilities, but every time I get on Merulina I lose Companion mods as well.  Merulina is a good candidate for one of the worst abilities in the game imo considering it's literally just a non-moddable kdrive with a minor amount of defensive utility that isn't enough to make up for the loss of primary and melee weapons and the (again, my opinion) downgrade in mobility from warframe to clunky Kdrive controls.  That it also costs you enemy radar, loot radar and vacuum is complete garbage, especially since it leaves your companion fully vulnerable while not providing the utility it's supposed to.

There's already a severe problem with DE thinking that all QOL should be mods and not innate, but to strip it from the player because they're using a trash ability for a little bit of defense on a squishy frame on top of all the other major downsides that come with the ability is honestly laughably bad.

K-drive is like a mistake that decided to infect a warframe with it's irrelevancy and lack of synergy with anything in normal tileset missions.

I'm not even sure the K-drive mods can save it, since most are geared towards tricks and speed that is unusable in clusterphobic rooms and corridors.

Companion synergy and ability synergy should have been prioritized, but it clearly wasn't.

I'm wondering if it's an oversight; it does seem a bit odd

1 hour ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

There's already a severe problem with DE thinking that all QOL should be mods and not innate, but to strip it from the player because they're using a trash ability for a little bit of defense on a squishy frame on top of all the other major downsides that come with the ability is honestly laughably bad.

What QoL mods do you reckon should be innate? Personally I've found them pretty good incentive to swap out damage or survival for when I don't actually need said damage/health, but I have wondered about at least a small amount of enemy detection; something really small, or something where they'll show up when they shoot

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I'm wondering if it's an oversight; it does seem a bit odd

What QoL mods do you reckon should be innate? Personally I've found them pretty good incentive to swap out damage or survival for when I don't actually need said damage/health, but I have wondered about at least a small amount of enemy detection; something really small, or something where they'll show up when they shoot

The community has been calling for innate vacuum as long as the vacuum mod has existed, just about.  Enemy radar and loot radar should be innate as well.  Base holster speed should be far faster than it is and not involve mods at all.  So many other games do these things and yet DE thinks these things should not only be mods, but mods you can lose because most people use them on companions which are made out of tissue paper.  They could even leave the mods in and just have them as bonus QOL, as long as you had good base range on them it wouldn't be an issue.  People literally die on purpose just to get their companions revived to get their basic QOL back.  There is no reason they shouldn't be innate other than devs being stubborn.

Nothing about Yareli's mechanics is intended. I refuse to believe that DE could do any of it intentionally, her abilities were coded in their sleep.

Only a sleepwalker would give a frame both a crit-based passive and a status-based signature weapon. (which, unlike the frame itself, isn't actually easy to get for a newbie, so no balance problem.)

Give a movement-themed frame an oldskool static bubble as 1. Which, to add insult to injury, needs  completely open space around the target, or the water balls are wasted.

Disable the companion. It doesn't quite work on a regular K-drive either, but here it doesn't work at all.

Make the 3 feel like it was good at some point, but then they paniked and nerfed it into the ground, now it isn't good as either CC or damage.

The 4 looks cool, but making how good it is directly dependent on how many opponents you can grab is a team-unfriendly design.

I like Yareli as a piece of lore, but as a playable frame... Oberon had to be hidden in railjack FOR THIS? Really?

10 minutes ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The community has been calling for innate vacuum as long as the vacuum mod has existed, just about.  Enemy radar and loot radar should be innate as well.  Base holster speed should be far faster than it is and not involve mods at all.  So many other games do these things and yet DE thinks these things should not only be mods, but mods you can lose because most people use them on companions which are made out of tissue paper.  They could even leave the mods in and just have them as bonus QOL, as long as you had good base range on them it wouldn't be an issue.  People literally die on purpose just to get their companions revived to get their basic QOL back.  There is no reason they shouldn't be innate other than devs being stubborn.

Cool cool.

🤔 Not sure I’d agree with the holster thing since that starts treading on the interplay between secondary and primary and would require perhaps a lot more consideration beyond just making holster speed innately faster (considerations like “Why not remove it all together?”, which would then require additional considerations, since a lot of my choices made in a fight can come from deciding whether it’s worth it/safe to swap to a secondary to make up for a reload on my main weapon or to add an extra element to the mix).

For the other stuff, I probably wouldn’t say no if they made some of them a little more innate. If they were to make things innate, I’d like to see some clever replacements taking their place. I don’t have a problem with empty mod slots, but I can fill them at the moment with things that modify some aspects about my weapon or Warframe or companion as a nice bonus if I can make it through fights without filling my slots with damage/survival mods.

Hrm. I guess in general I’d just like to see additional non-damage/survival mod options (augments are awesome 👍)

27 minutes ago, nebfab said:

Nothing about Yareli's mechanics is intended. I refuse to believe that DE could do any of it intentionally, her abilities were coded in their sleep.

Only a sleepwalker would give a frame both a crit-based passive and a status-based signature weapon. (which, unlike the frame itself, isn't actually easy to get for a newbie, so no balance problem.)

Give a movement-themed frame an oldskool static bubble as 1. Which, to add insult to injury, needs  completely open space arund the target, or the water balls are wasted.

Disable the companion. It doesn't quite work on a regular K-drive either, but here it doesn't work at all.

Make the 3 feel like it was good at some point, but then they paniked and nerfed it into the ground, now it isn't good as either CC or damage.

The 4 looks cool, but making how good it is directly dependent on how many opponents you can grab is a team-unfriendly design.

I like Yareli as a piece of lore, but as a playable frame... Oberon had to be hidden in railjack FOR THIS? Really?

She'd be easy to fix, too. 

• Remove the delay between the triple hit on her 3 so that it hits repeatedly at the same pace instead of having a pause after 3 hits. 
  • Have her 3 deal double damage to enemies that are caught in her 1. 
  • Have Merulina cause any enemy snared by her 1 to get dragged behind the Kdrive the same way the node in Zenurik pulls enemies.  
  • Have the blades on her 3 hit in a wider area around each blade while on her Kdrive.  This ensures contact with the dragged enemies.

Now you have a reason to be on the stupid Kdrive because it would drag around your ensnared enemies while constantly blending them with her 3 with extra damage from the proposed synergy between her 1 and 3.

As for synergy with her 4, have any enemies that are ensnared by her 1 automatically teleported into the vortex so that you have a better way of grouping them, because right now it doesn't group very well in crowded terrain.  They could add a strength-based armor strip to the vortex based on how many ensnared enemies were teleported in.  Something like base 5% per enemy.  This would further increase the damage and slash proc damage from her 3 on any hard targets that survive all that and enable her to be used in higher level content.

You'd have a frame zipping around, dragging enemies behind them getting blended and when you had sufficient targets that weren't dying to the blender or a big group you could hit your 4, group them, strip armor and then chop them to pieces.  The only other thing they would need to do is make companion mods work while on Merulina and you'd have a solid frame.  Might even be viable in really high level content at that point.

They'll never do it.  If she gets anything at all it'll be minor numbers buffs and probably something completely asinine like the buffs to Nekros' Soul Punch and Atlas' wall they did a while back.

The companion mods stop working randomly as a client when you get on merulina. Its similar to how the tenet diplos locked on fire wont actually home in on the targets randomly while youre a client. As a host both function perfectly fine. At least on PC at this time, so that they randomly stop working is clearly a bug.

7 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Well I'm playing solo and nothing of it works. Sometimes I do get Vacuum after spamming the ability but enemy radar is never active. Which sucks xD

You're on xbox right? So i suspect the patch that semi fixed it isn't live on console yet. So once it hits the enemy radar will be completely fixed but vacuum will be semi fixed, unless they fix that as well by the time it goes through certification.

you should probably just do what everyone else does and subsume an ability over the Merulina. I'm not a fan of using Helminth in this way personally, but lord knows it'll take DE forever to actually fix Merulina, and if it actually becomes a worthwhile ability one day you can always undo your subsuming. 

why they decided to go with a K-drive Kawaii frame, I will never know. it's almost like they intended to make people hate her lol.

Archived